What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty: WR Jordan Lasley UCLA (1 Viewer)

cloppbeast

Footballguy
6'1", 210 lbs

40 - 4.5 sec

Vertical - 34.5 inches

20 yard shuttle - 4.19 sec

Broad jump - 114 inches

3 cone (pro day) - 7.27

Lasley is a really interesting day 2 receiver, in that he's a pretty talented knuckle-head, though not much of a rarity in NFL anymore. He didn't do much for stats until 2017, as his off the field issues kept him from playing; but last season, at age 20, he had some dominant production: 140 yards/game, 18.3 yards/reception. Lasley's, combine numbers are above average, but somehow in games he's always open, as his production indicates. Scouting report.

Extremely effective this year as a deep threat. Amazing per game production. Smallish sample size due to missed games, and he did have Rosen throwing him the ball. Average size/athleticism. Tons of dropped passes. A bunch of off-the-field issues. Generally seen as a day 3 prospect.

Boom/bust profile and character issues suggest he's a better fantasy prospect than NFL prospect. Reasonably likely that we'll have a better sense of his NFL prospects by the start of the season, and maybe sooner, which makes him more churnable and thus more worth owning.

Extremely effective this year as a deep threat. Amazing per game production. Smallish sample size due to missed games, and he did have Rosen throwing him the ball. Average size/athleticism. Tons of dropped passes. A bunch of off-the-field issues. Generally seen as a day 3 prospect.

Boom/bust profile and character issues suggest he's a better fantasy prospect than NFL prospect. Reasonably likely that we'll have a better sense of his NFL prospects by the start of the season, and maybe sooner, which makes him more churnable and thus more worth owning.
You bring up Rosen, which makes me want to look at your stats to see how he compares to UCLA's other pass catchers. His raw stats last year are much better than all the other top wide outs in this draft. Granted none of them had the quarterback of Lasley. 

You bring up Rosen, which makes me want to look at your stats to see how he compares to UCLA's other pass catchers. His raw stats last year are much better than all the other top wide outs in this draft. Granted none of them had the quarterback of Lasley. 
Lasley did have much bigger numbers than his teammates (and better YPT) -  you can see the comparison here. And he also put up big production for the twoish games when Rosen was out and Devon Modster was in at QB, like in their bowl game. So the Rosen factor doesn't explain away Lasley's production, even though having a first round QB for most of his games presumably helped at least a bit.

This guy reminds me of guys like Jared Abberderis, Mario Manningham, and Limas Sweed - not so much in body similaries but rather in that in college they always seemed to be running wide open downfield even though they were their teams’ primary receiver, but when they moved to the next level they just didn’t have enough game to see the production transfer.  I just don’t see enough there to think he’ll succeed at the next level despite what he showed in college.

This guy reminds me of guys like Jared Abberderis, Mario Manningham, and Limas Sweed - not so much in body similaries but rather in that in college they always seemed to be running wide open downfield even though they were their teams’ primary receiver, but when they moved to the next level they just didn’t have enough game to see the production transfer.  I just don’t see enough there to think he’ll succeed at the next level despite what he showed in college.
I get what you're saying because some guys do well, even dominate college competition, but don't pan out in the NFL. Most of them come from unique systems and their skill-sets just don't translate to the NFL - see Vince Young, Tim Tebow, Johnny Manziel. I don't put Lasley in that category. He routinely beat man coverage against good competition using most of the routes. He was always open. By my untrained eye, he's the most fluid of the receivers in this draft, whatever that's worth. 

As for the receivers you mention, none of them put up the per game numbers of the player in question. Not to mention Sweed and Abbrederis were 23 for their final season and still couldn't best Lasley. 

I'll buy an argument of small sample size because he played in only 9 games in 2017, and didn't do much his first 2 years. He could do himself a favor by staying in college another year. But then again, he wouldn't have Rosen throwing him the ball. 

NFL Media's Lance Zierlein compares UCLA WR Jordan Lasley to Carolina Panthers WR Torrey Smith.

Lasley showed flashes of brilliance in his time with the Bruins, but he also had one of the worst drop rates of any prospect in this class, as noted by Zierlein. There's also this from an NFC area scout. "You can't watch him and not be impressed, but he's got a pattern of behavior that isn't going away in my opinion. He doesn't hold himself accountable. He just acts any kind of way. He could go in the second round or seventh round but he has a lot of ability." Lasley could be a steal if he can cut the drops and keep his head on his shoulders, but there's a boatload of volatility here.

Source: NFL.com 

Apr 23 - 10:08 PM

Torrey Smith is a pretty poor comp in my opinion. They're both about the same size and speed, but that's where the similarities end. Smith came in the league a physically gifted receiver who couldn't get open. Lasley, more of a middling athletic prospect, probably already runs better routes before he has even played a down in the NFL. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone think that Jackson will make Lasley less of a knucklehead? Rosen is a vapid guy. Jackson, less so. Perhaps Lasley will learn to be a better person? Or am I just fooling myself again with another headache?

Bumping. Lasley seems to be generating mild buzz at camp. When looking at late round dynasty dart throws, I tend to favor situation over talent, and the Balto WR depth chart seems like a huge opportunity in 2018 and beyond. If Lasley is the real deal, IMO he could easily beat our Brown and Snead (not exactly Rice & Taylor) and work his way into the starting lineup by September.

Lasley was one of my most undervalued players. I had a late first-round grade on him in terms of talent, but his off-the-field issues forced him to slip. 

Lasley was one of my most undervalued players. I had a late first-round grade on him in terms of talent, but his off-the-field issues forced him to slip. 
Beyond underage drinking and the fake ID, was there anything else? Did he have a bad reputation with coaches?

I have to imagine coaches were bad mouthing him. (Or GMs really really hate drops.) Because you look at what that kid did in 9 games in a major conference and he's day 1 or 2. 

Bumping. Lasley seems to be generating mild buzz at camp. When looking at late round dynasty dart throws, I tend to favor situation over talent, and the Balto WR depth chart seems like a huge opportunity in 2018 and beyond. If Lasley is the real deal, IMO he could easily beat our Brown and Snead (not exactly Rice & Taylor) and work his way into the starting lineup by September.
It really wouldn't surprise me if the Ravens top 3 WR's this year were Crabtree, Scott, and Lasley. Brown and Snead are both gigantic question marks, who underwhelmed in far better situations.

It really wouldn't surprise me if the Ravens top 3 WR's this year were Crabtree, Scott, and Lasley. Brown and Snead are both gigantic question marks, who underwhelmed in far better situations.
I think Brown has done well with all his chances just his medical condition makes him very risky. I agree it's wide open. Chris Moore is another one who could win reps with a strong showing in the offseason and has had some good news this month.  And Crabtree isn't a guarantee given his age, coming off a bad year. I think the 2 Balt WR with most value going into NEXT season are Brown and Lasley, unless Brown misses more than a few games due to his sickle cell issues, then he is valueless.

tombonneau said:
Beyond underage drinking and the fake ID, was there anything else? Did he have a bad reputation with coaches?

I have to imagine coaches were bad mouthing him. (Or GMs really really hate drops.) Because you look at what that kid did in 9 games in a major conference and he's day 1 or 2. 
Bob McGinn does a draft series each year where he interviews a bunch of scouts. Lasley was listed as the "scout's nightmare."

SCOUTS’ NIGHTMARE

Jordan Lasley, WR, UCLA: Fourth-year junior with 110 receptions for a 17.1 average and 14 TDs in 20 games (12 starts) the past two seasons. “He probably made more big plays than any receiver I saw this year,” said one scout. ”He’s a basket case, though.” Lasley (6-1, 204, 4.52) was suspended multiple times for various violations of team policy. “He’s got a lot of off-the field problems,” said the scout.

Probably worth grabbing him wherever possible as long as he stays cheap. But if he hits at all in the short-term, I'd be looking to turn a quick profit and not stay in for the long haul because these scouts spend countless hours doing their homework and when an obviously talented guy falls so far in the draft, there are probably legit reasons (like Martavis Bryant). 

Bob McGinn does a draft series each year where he interviews a bunch of scouts. Lasley was listed as the "scout's nightmare."

Probably worth grabbing him wherever possible as long as he stays cheap. But if he hits at all in the short-term, I'd be looking to turn a quick profit and not stay in for the long haul because these scouts spend countless hours doing their homework and when an obviously talented guy falls so far in the draft, there are probably legit reasons (like Martavis Bryant). 
This is great advice. I will say Balto locker room is probably a good one for him to be in for a short term rehab stint. Love the idea of flipping him if he starts out hot though. 

I think Brown has done well with all his chances just his medical condition makes him very risky. I agree it's wide open. Chris Moore is another one who could win reps with a strong showing in the offseason and has had some good news this month.  And Crabtree isn't a guarantee given his age, coming off a bad year. I think the 2 Balt WR with most value going into NEXT season are Brown and Lasley, unless Brown misses more than a few games due to his sickle cell issues, then he is valueless.
Brown looked great in 2015, but hasn't done much since then. The fact that he only got the contract he got, when the WR market was blowing up, tells me the NFL doesn't think he's ever going to get back to that 2015 level. Not saying he can't, just that it'd be a surprise. I actually like Scott the most long term of the Ravens WR's, with Lasley as a close #2. 

Sorta off topic, but I'd disagree Crabtree had a bad year last year. I didn't think he played any differently than he has in any of his other Raider years, it was just the offense in general wasn't as good. Crabtree has always been a mediocre WR in my opinion, who ideally is the #3 option in a passing game. 

Brown looked great in 2015, but hasn't done much since then. The fact that he only got the contract he got, when the WR market was blowing up, tells me the NFL doesn't think he's ever going to get back to that 2015 level. Not saying he can't, just that it'd be a surprise. I actually like Scott the most long term of the Ravens WR's, with Lasley as a close #2. 
Brown was more or less out for the season with his sickle cell condition in 2016. Last year, he was coming back from treatment and figuring out the limitations of playing with it. It clearly hurt his value on the open market because most teams are risk averse and conservative on personnel decisions. I'm not sure he's going to regain form but this is pretty much the last chance for Smoke. If he has anything left then this is time to show it. 

From what I've read of Lasley, he has some emotional issues, a personality disorder or something. Perhaps reminiscent of Brandon Marshall. Not something a coach would choose to deal with. But they'll overlook knucklehead behavior for a talented player. Clearly the NFL had some reservations about Lasley's talent in addition to his "off field issues". 

The UCLA coaches to their credit never threw Lasley under the bus, didn't trash him in the media. They gave the "he's got some growing up to do" spiel. I got the impression they actually liked him but you never know what they said behind closed doors.

Anyhow, hopefully he grew up and learned from his mistakes. We've all done stupid stuff as kids. I mean, who hasn't tried to get some beer before they were 21?

And FWIW, he tore it up once he came back from his suspension. 

One player who had a rough day was WR Jordan Lasley. Dropped a couple of kick returns, seemed frustrated on a couple of misfired passes. Lasley had drawn the ire of coaches Friday for quitting on a play after an interception. Growing pains for the 5th-round rookie from UCLA

-The kind of prima donna stuff that is fine, as long as you're really good. 

One player who had a rough day was WR Jordan Lasley. Dropped a couple of kick returns, seemed frustrated on a couple of misfired passes. Lasley had drawn the ire of coaches Friday for quitting on a play after an interception. Growing pains for the 5th-round rookie from UCLA

-The kind of prima donna stuff that is fine, as long as you're really good. 
The Footballguys email says he did well.

Strange.

Is that write up supposed to support or detract from him?  After reading it I like him less as a player and a person.  It is comforting to know he feels he could beat a crippled baby on a route, though.

Well, technically, it wasn't so much that he thought he could beat the baby on the route - obviously an NFL WR is going to be able to get separation from most babies in coverage - but rather that he absolutely would not feel remorse for the baby and would simply run his seam route and score. 

Well, technically, it wasn't so much that he thought he could beat the baby on the route - obviously an NFL WR is going to be able to get separation from most babies in coverage - but rather that he absolutely would not feel remorse for the baby and would simply run his seam route and score. 

And then taunt the baby and throw the ball in its face afterwards.

Is that write up supposed to support or detract from him?  After reading it I like him less as a player and a person.  It is comforting to know he feels he could beat a crippled baby on a route, though.

The more important part of the piece, the only important part is where he got open against Peters and Talib, 2 pretty good corners. Impressive for a rookie.

I'm more impressed he said "I don't fear anybody" instead of "I don't fear nobody" Between that and "I could care less" those are perhaps my two biggest pet peeves and too commonly used in general it seems. 

Users who are viewing this thread