What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Official Retirement Thread** (1 Viewer)

Just turned 47.  Need to lose 25.
Plowing fat chicks keeps you thin. 

Sex is a lot of work, lots of lifting (anerobic), sweating, and then after sex she makes herself a sandwich why you gather your cloths and jump out the window and run as fast as you can to your car (aerobic). 

Also congrats, working hard to get where you are is pretty awesome.  :thumbup:

congrats!

What are some of your volunteer plans?  Do you have something specific in mind?

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats!

I have less than two years until I'm eligible at my work.  I hope to retire as soon as I can after that line is passed.
A friend and former co-worker that retired a few years ago is a member here, @bblue, but he hasn't visited the site in years.  He seems to be bored every time I talk to him.  Don't let that be you.

I've worked too hard to get to this point; I'll soak this in for as long as I can.  I'll retire when I'm irreverent.

Until then -  drinks, dinner, entertainment, the flight, rental and everything in between is paid just to hear me speak.

I can't walk away from that now :shrug:

Wanting to set up a trust or at least a will for my wife and kids.  I tried searching, but will or trust are not exactly easily searched.

I thought I'd want to retire early too but I'm very much enjoying my newish job and now think that I'd like to work until I'm 58 or 60 at least (I'm 50) and then decide what I want to do.  Basically have the option to retire if I'd like.  

Congrats to you though Chet.  I hope you enjoy life. 

May 7 2021 is my target, due to a small bump in the pension upon reaching 20 years & 50+ age with the employer.  I'll be a month shy of 51 years old.

Anything beyond that date will be for feathering the nest, or due to enjoyment of work.

chet said:
I know there's at least one other retired person here.  @NewlyRetired Earlier this month, I retired from my day job and will work on personal projects--both professional and volunteer.  

Let's get the retirement discussion started!
Congrats, chet!  :thumbup:

Doctor Detroit said:
Plowing fat chicks keeps you thin. 

Sex is a lot of work, lots of lifting (anerobic), sweating, and then after sex she makes herself a sandwich why you gather your cloths and jump out the window and run as fast as you can to your car (aerobic). 

Also congrats, working hard to get where you are is pretty awesome.  :thumbup:
JFC.  Must - not - read - DD posts with a beverage in mouth

My wife is 11 years from her full pension so we've started planning on what we have to do to get ready. Hit 50 in January so I need to sign up for AARP. First financial move is to get around to selling both of our condos and getting into one of our own rather than moving between the two.

We had considered moving somewhere else, perhaps Barcelona, for retirement. But we've decided to stay in Chicago.

Just turned 47.  Need to lose 25.
Congrats! 

jabarony said:
I will join you, shortly.

Oh wait.  Forgot about the wife and kids. See you in 20 years. 
:lol: same. 

Wife and I discussed this morning how i could be really retired ("retired" from the army last year) if our kids were grown.  But with 5 at home and the youngest 3yo, it will be a while. Probably 20 years which puts me at 62. But we'll be absolutely set as long as we're healthy...

Still a few more people and things to provide for. Going to keep my head down for 4 more years and see where I am.  A lot will depend on where restricted stock ends up. I'm not counting on any of it in projections so it will all be gravy - maybe enough for me to retire a few years earlier than planned. 

Unless things change where I have to put in more hours not for awhile.  Right now I am working less and making more and am off almost every Friday.  Plus to be honest my biggest concern is if I retire too young I would be a full blown alcoholic. 

Right now I work out 5-6 days a week at 6AM and walk the dogs 3 miles every night. 

When I am off for two weeks by the fourth day I have stopped working out completely and am thinking about drinking by noon and hitting happy hours by 3. With no restrictions to get up it is easier to get blasted and sleep it off.

Just starting a new business venture to take care of retirement - so it'll have to wait until success is in hand

I'm 59 and I'm done somewhere between Dec and June '19.  All depends on how fast my replacement is found.

It's been fun planning with my wife.  We decided to keep our place in a very low cost of living area, but to also rent another place during winters.  Have zeroed in on NC, SC, TN, or CO.  Also started  compiling list of all the trips we're going to take. First on the list is Italy.

Have been huge savers and now have structured payout from deferred comp plan of $400K/year for 8 of the next 10 years, and then have several more million we have to burn through after that.  I plan to blow every damn cent.  Can't wait.

I'm 47 and not close to retiring, having a 7 & 8 year old definitely pushes it off for a while. Working with an investor right now to potentially buy a firm with the idea of me running the newly bought company. Idea would be to scale it over a period of 5-8 years and then cash out, probably the only way I will retire prior to my kids finishing college. Wife isn't really on board with the idea right now which might hold me back.

First post retirement task:  I am at a mediation in Delaware for a dispute with a much larger company who didn’t pay us for work completed. I am an investor and on the board of the smaller company. 

chet said:
I know there's at least one other retired person here.  @NewlyRetired Earlier this month, I retired from my day job and will work on personal projects--both professional and volunteer.  

Let's get the retirement discussion started!
Recently turned 42.  Retired from the corporate game (investment banking, mgmt consulting etc) and just focused on art.  Been producing, writing and directing music videos while continuing my street and fine art grind.  I guess after my Dad suddenly died, it woke me up to the realization I have yet to leave a legacy in something other than boring ### business.  I don't want to be known as a great finance and marketing guy.  Now my art will forever live on with the internet, youtube and art galleries.

"Retirement" is fun and even though I'm working it doesn't feel like it.  I love waking up when I want to and not knowing the difference between a Monday and Saturday.  Smoking a joint with my morning coffee is another plus. Volunteer often for kids and political movements. Currently working on the Beto campaign b/c you know F Ted Cruz!!!  Trying my best to live the dream.  It's definitely been a journey and a process.  All the glitter isn't gold.  

I could check out now - I’m 52. But I am actually enjoying work and I like the travel, so I’m going to keep it going for awhile. I think I’d get bored fairly quickly if I didn’t have something that required my attention most of the time. 

Unless things change where I have to put in more hours not for awhile.  Right now I am working less and making more and am off almost every Friday.  Plus to be honest my biggest concern is if I retire too young I would be a full blown alcoholic. 

Right now I work out 5-6 days a week at 6AM and walk the dogs 3 miles every night. 

When I am off for two weeks by the fourth day I have stopped working out completely and am thinking about drinking by noon and hitting happy hours by 3. With no restrictions to get up it is easier to get blasted and sleep it off.
I totally agree with this. I could easily see myself drinking way too much if I didn’t have to be coherent 5 mornings a week.

Wife is retired three years past at 56.  We are are in great financial shape.  I i am thinking about doing so soon - just a little scared by all the people saying you need over 2 million to do so.

Nice work guys, I'm jealous with a good 20 years of work ahead of me.

While a little extreme on the thrifty side a great resource I like to get tidbits from while not going to the extreme:

bogleheads.org

Users who are viewing this thread