What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

It has been a fantastic study to see how my wife's brain works due to amnesia (1 Viewer)

D-Day

Footballguy
July 2017, my wife had a medical procedure done that resulted in her going into a hepatic encephalitic coma for 6 days.  During this coma, she had 24 seizures in a two day period.  The result was brain damage and amnesia.  Here is the link giving more information about her Liver disease from another thread. 

SPOILER ALERT -- my wife received her liver transplant early April and is doing great physically.  The mental aspect of the seizures and encephalopathy continue to be a concern.  

Make no mistake about it, the situation sucks--hands down SUCKS!  But trying to grasp what she is going through and how her brain now works is fascinating to me, and that is what this thread is about.

IMAGINE YOUR SPOUSE WAKING UP AND NOT KNOWING...

WHO YOU ARE:  Yep, she didn't know me.  After a few days, she caught on that I was important to her.  She kept asking my name, and if we were married.  It has been nine months and she still does not have any recollection of our life together for the past 30+ years.  She does seem to accept that we are married, but I bet secretly she thinks she could have done better.  TIP FROM A PRO:  If you find yourself in this situation, see if you can have the young, good looking male nurses reassigned to other patients.  

WHO HER KIDS ARE:  Absolutely no memory of our kids being born or growing up.  If she didn't meet them after waking up, she would have no clue that the kids ever existed.  That has been tough on the kids (both over the age of 20).  She doesn't remember her friends or events from the past 40+ years.

HOW TO TAKE BASIC CARE OF HERSELF:  I had to teach her everything.  How to shower, brush her teeth, brush her hair, shave her legs, putting on band-aids.  Yep, even had to teach her how to wipe her butt.  Things we take for granted, but if done wrong, causes infections and other ailments.  She is now pretty self sufficient with her daily care.

HER FATHER DIED:  My wife has SOME memory of her past.  As far as I can grasp, it is up to about age 10.  Well, at that time, her father was still alive.  She handled the grief of a parent's death pretty well, but every once in a while she misses him and it hurts like hell.  

HISTORY:  She is now the worlds worst Jeopardy contestant.  First President-nope.  9/11 - nope.  WWII- forget it (literally).  She can read and do some basic math, but it is a struggle.  So I may need to enroll her in one of those on-line charter schools.

Those are an example of her memory loss.  I try to imagine her sitting with people that are talking about every-day life, and not having the life experiences to follow the conversation.  

Then there is the encephalopathy and dealing with "word fog".  She has a tough time coming up with the correct words to use, but I have become much more aware of how her brain is working.  As an example, if I ask her to get me a knife, she will retrieve one quickly.  If I hold up a knife and ask her what it is, she can't always come up with the word.  This has been getting better, and with the new liver, hopefully it will go away.

I will update when I run into more situations.

Oh, shout out to NRJ--she too likes hugs.

sounds real tough, but kudos to you taking it in stride. has to be real frustrating for all of you and hopefully it gets better 

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that is a rough go at things. I don't even know where to begin. It sounds like you are taking good care of her, but remember to take care of yourself too, whatever that entails. I'd recommend counseling for yourself, because for now, the woman you knew is no longer around. I hope she comes back fully and quickly. Hang in there man.

Sorry to hear that. That’s a tough hand to be dealt. Takes a good dude to handle that. Continued best of luck. 

So sorry for all of this. I do have questions though:

1. Does she have the same tastes/likes/dislikes as before the comas?  I'm talking foods, movies, colors, humor, etc.  Curious how much of what we like is a function of experiences. 

2. How can you cope with this financially? I mean, do you go to work? How does that work? It sounds like she needs help nearly 24/7...curious how people make it. 

I'm sure I'll have other questions. Thanks for sharing your story! 

Wow, I don't have the words brother. Heck, I don't think the words exist.

Good luck, be strong and all my best to you and your family.

Wow---that's some pretty heavy stuff.  I wish you and your family the best thoughts,  prayers, and positive vibes possible.  Your strength and courage through what is obviously an insanely difficult situation is nothing short of amazing.  I've never had the desire to get married or have kids--but when I read stories like this---I'd be lying if I told you that the thought didn't cross my mind.  I don't know if anybody could survive what she is going through without the love that you and the kids are showing her.  Definitely keep us updated on how things go as we are all in your corner rooting for you.  

So sorry for all of this. I do have questions though:

1. Does she have the same tastes/likes/dislikes as before the comas?  I'm talking foods, movies, colors, humor, etc.  Curious how much of what we like is a function of experiences. 

2. How can you cope with this financially? I mean, do you go to work? How does that work? It sounds like she needs help nearly 24/7...curious how people make it. 

I'm sure I'll have other questions. Thanks for sharing your story! 
1.  Some things have changed in the food that she likes and dislikes.  When she first woke up, orange jello was the first "food" she tasted.  Then she tried chocolate ice cream.  The look on her face when she took her first taste, let's just say, as a man, I have never satisfied her like that.  She is trending back into the types of movies, shows and books she indulged in before.  It may be because that is what is around, and what I originally picked for her.  Her humor is leaning more towards mine.  I believe there is a vacuum of life experiences missing, and she is sucking up what is most dominant in her life. 

2.  Financially I am very lucky to survive this.  I am an insurance agent with renewal income.  Even if I don't work, the money flows in... just a little less.  I talked to her doctor about how fortunate we are.  If the doctor had to stop seeing patients to take care of his wife, the money flow stops.  She also qualified for social security which was a surprisingly easy process.  From application to benefit approval, it only took 20 days.  She also had long term disability insurance from her employer.  PRO TIP:  Get disability insurance NOW.

She is becoming more independent, but if I had to put her in a nursing home, then I would be financially screwed.  

That's tough.  I'm sorry you are having to go through that.  

It must be crazy how much your life has flipped.  It's like you have to date her all over again. It sounds like something you would see on TV.  I'm really buzzed and apoligize if that came out wrong.

There are some upsides of going through this.  I had to dig deep into my own memories and revisit how we met, what we did when dating, our wedding day, important moments such as the birth of our children.  That exercise is something that I am truly grateful for.  I made the decision to tell her the truth about everything.  I don't her to ever doubt what I tell her about herself and our lives.  

She didn't know what Thanksgiving or Christmas were.  I had a front row seat to her experiencing her "First Christmas".  There are a lot of "firsts" that we have experienced, and I look forward to the ones we will experience together.  Again, the situation sucks, but I get a very unique opportunity to experience some things that very, very few people get to. 

Wow. That is rough. Its awesome that you are there for her. It has to be I credibly tough on the kids. 

That's tough.  I'm sorry you are having to go through that.  

It must be crazy how much your life has flipped.  It's like you have to date her all over again. It sounds like something you would see on TV.  I'm really buzzed and apoligize if that came out wrong.
No worries.  Watching '50 First Dates' again was an eye opener to me.  That is a movie I think I will avoid having her watch.  

There are some upsides of going through this.  I had to dig deep into my own memories and revisit how we met, what we did when dating, our wedding day, important moments such as the birth of our children.  That exercise is something that I am truly grateful for.  I made the decision to tell her the truth about everything.  I don't her to ever doubt what I tell her about herself and our lives.  

She didn't know what Thanksgiving or Christmas were.  I had a front row seat to her experiencing her "First Christmas".  There are a lot of "firsts" that we have experienced, and I look forward to the ones we will experience together.  Again, the situation sucks, but I get a very unique opportunity to experience some things that very, very few people get to. 
good for you to seeing some positives in all of this. I was thinking from an objective outsider how fascinating some of this could really be. read your first paragraph and realized we would be utterly screwed if I was in your situation with my wife cause my memory blows. 

:thumbup: :thumbup:  

That truly is an inspiring outlook on the situation.  

Curious, did you automatically show her affection like you did before or did you (are you) building back up to that? How did your wife respond the first time you held her hand or hugged her? 

good for you to seeing some positives in all of this. I was thinking from an objective outsider how fascinating some of this could really be. read your first paragraph and realized we would be utterly screwed if I was in your situation with my wife cause my memory blows. 
My wife was also my accountant, so I had to learn that on the fly.  Gotta keep paying those bills.  I was fortunate to know her passwords and recovery answers.  PRO TIP:  make sure someone has your email password.  All those bills and confirmations come by email and not snail mail anymore.

My wife was also my accountant, so I had to learn that on the fly.  Gotta keep paying those bills.  I was fortunate to know her passwords and recovery answers.  PRO TIP:  make sure someone has your email password.  All those bills and confirmations come by email and not snail mail anymore.
:goodposting: great call on this one. 

Curious, did you automatically show her affection like you did before or did you (are you) building back up to that? How did your wife respond the first time you held her hand or hugged her? 
The hugs and kisses were early.  No "pull back".  She was showing affection to me (holding hands, touching my face) a few days after she woke up.  I was one of her "constants" when she woke up, so that may have played a part of her "loving" me again.  

The hugs and kisses were early.  No "pull back".  She was showing affection to me (holding hands, touching my face) a few days after she woke up.  I was one of her "constants" when she woke up, so that may have played a part of her "loving" me again.  
I hate to sound shallow, but this seems like a big deal. Is it similar to before, or is the affection part of the marriage totally different? I wonder if she “remembers” how to make love.

A very good friend of mines wife was in a bad car accident 12 years ago this June. Severe closed head injury and was in a coma for 3 months.  At the time their daughters were 16-18 and now 28 and 30.   She was a physics teacher who now has the mentality of a 3rd grader.  Does not remember her husband or children only that they come to visit her.   My friend still takes care of her but his daughters even said it is time to move on...as she does not know you as her husband anymore.

Very tough situation...I wish you the best.

Very interesting post, and appreciate you sharing. I guess one alternative is that she is dead. So your situation could be much worse, for sure. One question I have... is she aware of her illness... does she remember that she is/was ill and that she had a liver transplant, and what that all means?

Sounds like ans incredibly difficult situation to navigate. Good on you.

Da Guru said:
A very good friend of mines wife was in a bad car accident 12 years ago this June. Severe closed head injury and was in a coma for 3 months.  At the time their daughters were 16-18 and now 28 and 30.   She was a physics teacher who now has the mentality of a 3rd grader.  Does not remember her husband or children only that they come to visit her.   My friend still takes care of her but his daughters even said it is time to move on...as she does not know you as her husband anymore.

Sounds like the husband really believed in his vows - “for better, for worse, in sickness and in health...”. Good on him!!!!!

You don’t mention grandchildren so I assume you don’t have any. Might that happen soon? I’m guessing having someone important in her life that she’ll remember her entire history with would be therapeutic.

Wow, so sorry to hear that you and your wife are carrying this burden. God bless. 

kutta said:
I hate to sound shallow, but this seems like a big deal. Is it similar to before, or is the affection part of the marriage totally different? I wonder if she “remembers” how to make love.
Mostly due to medical issues, intimacy has changed, but I can see after healing from the transplant that it should come back around.  One of the things that struck me early on is that although she didn't know how to care for herself, she could tie her shoes on her own, so I would think the bedroom (or if I was Ray K, the hot tub) stuff will be just fine.

Sounds like the husband really believed in his vows - “for better, for worse, in sickness and in health...”. Good on him!!!!!
Well.he does have a girlfriend now.  His wife lives in an assisted living facility.  What makes it worse is the accident was her fault so they have had so much our of pocket expenses.

Da Guru said:

My wife accepts me as her husband, and acknowledges the kids.  She does not treat us as strangers and is interested in re-building the relationships.  Our hope is that over time, some of her memories would come back. 

My wife accepts me as her husband, and acknowledges the kids.  She does not treat us as strangers and is interested in re-building the relationships.  Our hope is that over time, some of her memories would come back. 
I was not totally accurate and she does know them a little..but she has no memories of past events.  Weddings, births, parties, stuff like that.

Very interesting post, and appreciate you sharing. I guess one alternative is that she is dead. So your situation could be much worse, for sure. One question I have... is she aware of her illness... does she remember that she is/was ill and that she had a liver transplant, and what that all means?

Sounds like ans incredibly difficult situation to navigate. Good on you.
Spending enough time in the hospital, you do see people who are worse off than we are.  And you are spot on about the possibility that she could have died several times through this situation.  The family was called in twice to say our good-byes to my wife.  I keep thinking to myself "others have it worse".  There are posters here that have or are going through much worse situations, and I see their strength and resolve to continue on.  When my wife was called in for a transplant, only to have it called off in the last hour was tough on her.  I had to remind her that what she was going through was "disappointing", there was the family of the potential donor that was going through something "devastating".  

She is now aware of her illness, but does not remember a similar operation in 2010 to remove half of her liver.  She has done great in taking in information from her past, saying "I didn't know that," accepting the situation, and moving on.  The amnesia was from waking up in July, and the transplant just happened in April.

You don’t mention grandchildren so I assume you don’t have any. Might that happen soon? I’m guessing having someone important in her life that she’ll remember her entire history with would be therapeutic.
No grandchildren yet, and no prospects in sight right now.  She remembers her mother, and that helps validate what I tell her.

I was not totally accurate and she does know them a little..but she has no memories of past events.  Weddings, births, parties, stuff like that.
That is the same with my wife.  40 years of her life is gone.  She knows she is not a kid, and seems accepting she is in her 50's

Oh, I retract...sorry! 
The doctors said 18 months after a severe brain injury there will be very little or no improvement. And the were correct.

Both his daughters told him a couple of years ago to move on with his life as he was 42 when this happened.

Great stuff. Big kudos to you for working through this. Do you ever gloss over the past, or is it all unvarnished truth?

Fascinating & heartrending & almost inconceivable until one undergoes it, i guess. Can only imagine how not knowing if each moment will build your hope or break your heart must feel. I applaud your courage and patience and wish you, your wife & family the best possible result. Let us know how we can support your efforts, should that be the case.

There was a great follow up story on 60 minutes about a lady they have been following for now 17 years with Alzheimer’s. I realize this is not the same other than the lost memory part and they pointed out the oldest memories we have are the last to go. Was interesting.

Good luck though GB. 

Great stuff. Big kudos to you for working through this. Do you ever gloss over the past, or is it all unvarnished truth?
Very interested in this as well.  Thank you so much for sharing this story.  I don't mean to pry, but I doubt your marriage was absolutely perfect before all this (we all have struggles and challenges there I'm sure).  So when "recreating" everything, do you do so with both the good and the bad?  Or are you still at the "baby steps" part of the recreating? 

Like with my wife, we lost her father a few years ago to a short but horrible battle with cancer.  Would you just say he passed, or go over all the details of the situation?

What does she do on a daily basis?  Also, she would be the greatest political candidate ever.  Plausible deniability and piles of " I don't recall" answers. 

Fascinating & heartrending & almost inconceivable until one undergoes it, i guess. Can only imagine how not knowing if each moment will build your hope or break your heart must feel. I applaud your courage and patience and wish you, your wife & family the best possible result. Let us know how we can support your efforts, should that be the case.
Please donate blood, and be an organ donor.  Make sure your family understands that you want to be a donor.  I have heard stories where the families reconsider donation after the person passed away.

Users who are viewing this thread