What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Democratic Party needs a full reboot (1 Viewer)

I honestly don’t care. So long as Trump is around I’m Democrat right down the line. None of this stuff matters. Sort it out guys and keep it under wraps until after 2020, OK? 

Is this really that strange, rare, or even that bad? It's the party's job to get candidates elected. Some candidates are better for the general than others. E.g., see Roy Moore. Who may have been the only Republican candidate who could have lost that seat.

In the world of politics, this seems like one of the smallest transgressions despite all the OMGs the last election cycle. Now, you can say that it's time that the DNC start defining themselves as more than just centrist corporatists and have real values. But that's a different discussion.

Is this really that strange, rare, or even that bad? It's the party's job to get candidates elected. Some candidates are better for the general than others. E.g., see Roy Moore. Who may have been the only Republican candidate who could have lost that seat.

In the world of politics, this seems like one of the smallest transgressions despite all the OMGs the last election cycle. Now, you can say that it's time that the DNC start defining themselves as more than just centrist corporatists and have real values. But that's a different discussion.
The problem is that their history of hand-selecting candidates isn't very good over the last several election cycles. Why not let the voters decide?

The problem is that their history of hand-selecting candidates isn't very good over the last several election cycles. Why not let the voters decide?
That goes to the quality of the judgment and values, not an indictment of trying to support candidates which are more likely in their interest. Which is to elect Democrats, whoever they are.

If you're going to say that the Dems need to look at what's happening on the ground and either change who they support or ease back on the pedal and see what the voters are telling them, sure. To say that a national party apparatus shouldn't try to push primaries in a way to win the general, that's just naive. And certainly not one of the biggest problems in the party, much less politics overall. It's just that people like to rage against it.

It's basically a complaint of the Bernie supporters who feel cheated and the Republicans who are happy to have any sort of perceived malfeasance to keep coming back to to harp on.

Given the state of the party in 2016, it's hard to argue that it WASN'T bad.  When the decisions you make and approaches you take leave you as the minority in all three branches of the gov't, I think it's safe to say you're doing it wrong.  When you lose to Donnie Two Scoops, I think it's safe to say you're doing it wrong.  Is their momentum going into 2018?  Yup...."anyone but Donnie Two Scoops" will express itself in an uptick.  However, if the Dems can't figure out how to get out of their own way it's not going to go well.  Incidents like this have a way of stopping momentum dead in it's tracks.  

Given the state of the party in 2016, it's hard to argue that it WASN'T bad.  When the decisions you make and approaches you take leave you as the minority in all three branches of the gov't, I think it's safe to say you're doing it wrong.  When you lose to Donnie Two Scoops, I think it's safe to say you're doing it wrong.  Is their momentum going into 2018?  Yup...."anyone but Donnie Two Scoops" will express itself in an uptick.  However, if the Dems can't figure out how to get out of their own way it's not going to go well.  Incidents like this have a way of stopping momentum dead in it's tracks.  
Again, you can say that's a quality of poor judging on choosing. Not that a party generally trying to push electable candidates.

That goes to the quality of the judgment and values, not an indictment of trying to support candidates which are more likely in their interest. Which is to elect Democrats, whoever they are.
Right, but one of the biggest problems that the Democratic Party currently has is that Independents feel that they have their thumb on the scales during the primary process. This does nothing to alter that perception.

I would say keeping Nancy Pelosi in a visible leadership role is a much bigger and dumber mistake.

Right, but one of the biggest problems that the Democratic Party currently has is that Independents feel that they have their thumb on the scales during the primary process. This does nothing to alter that perception.
If everyone paid attention, they'd realize that Republicans do it, too. Or did you forget the #nevertrump movement or talk to deny him the needed votes at the convention or the idea of one of the R candidates to all pool their votes or the establishment coming out against him. See also Roy Moore and tons of other races.

If Independents are disgusted with the Democrats for doing it, it's because they're not paying attention and aren't nearly as informed as they think they are. And are attracted by sound bites and headlines and not substance.

Last edited:
This is like being mad at politicians for making campaign promises which they don't keep. Like, duh.

Again, you can say that's a quality of poor judging on choosing. Not that a party generally trying to push electable candidates.
I don't understand your point.  Isn't the issue that they aren't choosing people who are "electable"?  The distinction you are attempting to make doesn't make sense at all.  Perhaps I am not understanding.

I don't understand your point.  Isn't the issue that they aren't choosing people who are "electable"?  The distinction you are attempting to make doesn't make sense at all.  Perhaps I am not understanding.
If the DNC or whichever branch this is had a better finger on the pulse on who could get elected, then they're doing the thing which is common and frankly in their interest. And depending on how you think the interest of the Democratic voters lie, maybe in their interest, too. Like is it better to have 1 senatorial candidate run vs another or to take the gavel away from Mitch McConnell.

It's like a basketball coach putting in the players he thinks is best. He can be wrong on who is the best and who he plays. But choosing who to play is what he's there for. This is a bit of a stretch, sure. But that's the idea I'm trying to distinguish.

Last edited:
If you want to say the party needs a complete reboot, because it is trying to promote the wrong values, sure. It's keeping in leadership Pelosi and that kind of politician who doesn't really want to promote progressive values. Which it looks like the voting public are right now. That could be a spirited debate with this thread's title.

If the DNC or whichever branch this is had a better finger on the pulse on who could get elected, then they're doing the thing which is common and frankly in their interest. And depending on how you think the interest of the Democratic voters lie, maybe in their interest, too. Like is it better to have 1 senatorial candidate run vs another or to take the gavel away from Mitch McConnell.

It's like a basketball coach putting in the players he thinks is best. He can be wrong on who is the best and who he plays. But choosing who to play is what he's there for. This is a bit of a stretch, sure. But that's the idea I'm trying to distinguish.
I see better where you're trying to go.  To try and fit the analogy, I'd suggest the "coach" here is the party platform that's been agreed upon.  That's the measuring stick.  I've said many times that the Dems are on the same path the GOP is to implosion, only at different spots.  There's still time for the DNC to right the ship and change course, but they need to have a unifying message.  IMO, that message needs to be the party platform.  It should be the standard, not some subset of assistant coaches who think they know better even if it's been shown over and over and over again that they really don't know better.

Maybe just back good candidates with good principles and records who have the best chance to win. Not every district and state is the same. 

Do you want Doug Jones running in Brooklyn? Hell no. Are you glad he won Alabama? Hell yes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe just back good candidates with good principles and records who have the best chance to win. Not every district and state is the same. 

Do you want Doug Jones running in Brooklyn? Hell no. Are you glad he won Alabama? Hell yes.
i don't think it is outrageous for the Dems to support candidates in primaries. they can't support all the candidates equally after all. it's a tactical decision to allocate resources for them. they hopefully vet their endorsed candidate.  

Was Obama hand selected? He seem to do pretty well.
It would be interesting -- at least for the scant handful of parliamentarians on this board -- to speculate about Obama's progression through the party ranks in a Canadian-style system. In a Turtledovian kind of way, of course.

I see better where you're trying to go.  To try and fit the analogy, I'd suggest the "coach" here is the party platform that's been agreed upon.  That's the measuring stick.  I've said many times that the Dems are on the same path the GOP is to implosion, only at different spots.  There's still time for the DNC to right the ship and change course, but they need to have a unifying message.  IMO, that message needs to be the party platform.  It should be the standard, not some subset of assistant coaches who think they know better even if it's been shown over and over and over again that they really don't know better.
Sure. With some tweaks for local preferences. Bernie might play well in Vermont, but would get thrashed in Alabama.

Basically the national party's mission is to elect as many Democrats as they can. That's their goal and that's how they measure success.

Last edited:
He's obfuscating the fact that DCCC/DNC pushes spineless candidates with no principles who don't represent voters at all, most of them backed by the same special interests as corporate Republicans, by conflating it with a desire to 'win elections,' even though this strategy failed spectacularly in 2016.  It doesn't matter whether the party wins, just so long as the donors win.  

If people have this much contempt for voters it's puzzling why they'd want elections at all.  

He's obfuscating the fact that DCCC/DNC pushes spineless candidates with no principles who don't represent voters at all, most of them backed by the same special interests as corporate Republicans, by conflating it with a desire to 'win elections,' even though this strategy failed spectacularly in 2016.  It doesn't matter whether the party wins, just so long as the donors win.  

If people have this much contempt for voters it's puzzling why they'd want elections at all.  
Whatever the DCCC/DNC does doesn't change elections. Show me the proof that a few dollars and facebook posts changed the results of a primary.

I'm pretty sure that was your Russian interference standard.

Last edited:
It's only OK when the Russians do it.

That's basically Ren this past year.

Last edited:
What happened to protecting free speech, @ren hoek? Doesn't the DCCC/DNC have the right to it?

Last edited:
What happened to protecting free speech, @ren hoek? Doesn't the DCCC/DNC have the right to it?
Saying the DCCC are scumbags for fighting against their own constituents to promote astroturf corporate tools is not the same thing as saying they don't have the right to be astoundingly corrupt.  They have the right to do it, I just find it reprehensible is all.  

Saying the DCCC are scumbags for fighting against their own constituents to promote astroturf corporate tools is not the same thing as saying they don't have the right to be astoundingly corrupt.  They have the right to do it, I just find it reprehensible is all.  
Show me the proof that they made the difference in any election.

You should just probably a topic to comment on: Demorats/Hillary or Trump/Russia/Putin. And then don't say anything about the other. That way you can keep your criticisms and passes consistent.

Last edited:
Didn't the DCCC learn ANYTHING from the Clinton/Sanders debacle?  You can't "hand select" candidates and expect the electorate to have faith that you want (small d) democratic primaries to let the best candidates win. This is embarrassing:

https://theintercept.com/2018/04/26/steny-hoyer-audio-levi-tillemann/
No offense to you personally, but I'm getting kinda tired of a group of mostly white mostly male progressives continue to say that Clinton beat Sanders because she was "hand selected" or because a fix was in rather than acknowledging the actual reason she won the primary race comfortably- all the votes she got from African-Americans and/or women.  Disregarding minority voter preferences isn't very progressive IMO.

Anyway, there's plenty of evidence that primary voters ignoring national party concerns about candidates (usually related to potential scandals/electability) and voting for more extremist candidates tends to work out poorly.  If you don't believe me, ask a Republican how they felt about Harry Reid sticking around for six extra years after the 2010 elections thanks to Sharron Angle. Or about Christine O'Donnell and Todd Akin, both of whom cost them Senate seats and quite possibly their chance to repeal Obamacare.

This case with Hoyer in Colorado seems like overreach and I'd like to see the national party more hands off generally speaking.  What they did to sabotage Laura Moser before the primary was silly, for example. But big picture, they're right to be involved to some extent. Moser is a bad general election candidate who could cost them a winnable House seat, for example.  Resources are limited, and they should be allocated in a way that most increases chances of winning in November.

Also not a fan of leaking audiotape but withholding it at the request of the party to whom the leak is sympathetic:

Before agreeing to provide the audio, Tillemann requested that personal details be withheld. The Intercept selected the newsworthy aspects of the recording for publication.
Either you're in favor of leaking the conversation for transparency purposes or you're not.  Doing it this way makes them look more "in the bag" than the DCCC.  If there's personal details unrelated to the candidates or the election they can be bleeped out.

Both parties need a full reboot.  As mentioned in another one of these threads, both parties don't push the best candidate for the people they are supposed to be serving.  Instead, both parties push the people that can help their fellow party members retain power or push their warped agendas.  And, most of the inside politicians with the most power are scum bags.  I used to try to vote for the best of the worst.  I am pretty much checking out of the entire process since there really are no winners. 

I honestly don’t care. So long as Trump is around I’m Democrat right down the line. None of this stuff matters. Sort it out guys and keep it under wraps until after 2020, OK? 
Donald Trump says thank U very much Kim. It’s this kind of position that brought us Donald Trump in the first placeDonald Trump says thank U very much Kim. It’s this kind of position that brought us Donald Trump in the first place

Donald Trump says thank U very much Kim. It’s this kind of position that brought us Donald Trump in the first placeDonald Trump says thank U very much Kim. It’s this kind of position that brought us Donald Trump in the first place
Is Donald Trump confusing me with the leader of North Korea?Is Donald Trump confusing me with the leader of North Korea? 

I agree with this.  I won't blindly support any opposition to Trump, but it would need to be really bad to get me to not vote against Trump.

I'm not naive enough to think this hasn't happened forever in both parties, but it's #### like this that keeps independents/moderates from ever really throwing their support behind a single party.  
Is that really such a bad thing?  Support ideas and candidates, not parties.

I'm not naive enough to think this hasn't happened forever in both parties, but it's #### like this that keeps independents/moderates from ever really throwing their support behind a single party.  
Is that really such a bad thing?  Support ideas and candidates, not parties.
This works better at the local level where there is direct impact to your daily life at stake and I encourage people to get involved WAY earlier in this process.  However, the further up the #### floats, the more black/white things get and the more similar the ideas/candidates get.  There are a few exceptions of course at the national level, but not many.

The party of the people... as long as you're one of the crony insiders.
You've gotta be kidding me.  This is the DCCC supporting one candidate over another in a primary race based on electability, which is not really even controversial. I could give you 500 stronger examples of the GOP being the party of "crony insiders" rather than "the people" from this year alone. This happened two days ago.

You've gotta be kidding me.  This is the DCCC supporting one candidate over another in a primary race based on electability, which is not really even controversial. I could give you 500 whataboutisms stronger examples of the GOP being the party of "crony insiders" rather than "the people" from this year alone. This happened two days ago.
True

We should all get behind ranked choice voting like Maine is playing with in their gubernatorial primaries this spring. It takes the fear out of your vote inadvertently helping the candidate you like the least. 

examples of the GOP being the party of "crony insiders" rather than "the people" from this year alone. 
Expected from the GOP; hypocrisy from the DNC.  Just like sex scandals the other way around - the DNC aren't expected to have as high a moral compass.  That's the way that they've set themselves up.

On Mulvaney - refreshing honesty.  He might be the most effective pick Trump has made so far.  In interviews he's scary sharp and really knows his stuff.

Expected from the GOP; hypocrisy from the DNC.  Just like sex scandals the other way around - the DNC aren't expected to have as high a moral compass.  That's the way that they've set themselves up.

On Mulvaney - refreshing honesty.  He might be the most effective pick Trump has made so far.  In interviews he's scary sharp and really knows his stuff.
Like I said before there's no hypocrisy in the DCCC strategizing about the best way to win congressional elections. That's literally what they do. They might be doing a crappy job of it in this case, but that doesn't make it hypocritical, it just makes it dumb.

And the rest of this feels like outdated pre-Trump analysis.  He secured the nomination over two years ago now. The GOP is the party of feigned populism and forgiven sexual misconduct now, and they have been for a little while. I completely understand why you wish it was not so, but it is.

Users who are viewing this thread