What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

- - Official 2018 NFL Draft Thread (Live discussion) - - (1 Viewer)

I didn't take it to mean, "He didn't produce."

More that he played like a stereotypically small-bodied player, and never developed a set of tools to compensate for the shortcomings those limitations can create.  Passive, over-reliant on quickness and body position, contact-averse.

If that's what he meant, I don't disagree. :shrug:

I don't exactly blame Tavon, either, since he IS a small player.  But you've got to find a way to overcome that stuff if you're going to excel in pro ball.  I think more than anything he was a victim of draft day expectations he never had a prayer of meeting.  Hope he finds a niche with the Boys.
I think saying "nothing for nothing" is just disrespectful.  He played small in college.  Nice analysis. More players should play small in college and put up 1932 combined yards in their final season. 

Deon Cain, E St Brown, Lazard, Bo Scarbrough, Woodside, Falk, Wadley. Some very intriguing fantasy players still teamless.

Deon Cain, E St Brown, Lazard, Bo Scarbrough, Woodside, Falk, Wadley. Some very intriguing fantasy players still teamless.

They're really only intriguing because devy owners have already been invested in most of them and have been talking about them for years. In real life, players drafted in the 6th-7th rounds are trash 98% of the time. Hopefully some of these guys can break that mold and get good landing spots though, that's good for fantasy. 

Kelly becomes a strong Gurley handcuff. Sucks he went there, and sucks he fell to the 6th. He seemed like he could be a Jordan Howard type of old school runner who just slipped through the cracks (Howard fell to the 5th) but this landing spot means Gurley owners can draft him late in the 3rd probably. 
I guess it's finally time to let go of the Malcolm Brown pipe dream I've been clinging to in all of my dynasty leagues...

Top 8 picks in fantasy rookie drafts should all be RB. Significant drop off afterwards. If you need an RB you better get in the top 8 and if you have a top 8 pick you better be getting a premium return.

Absolutely crazy draft this year where virtually everyone landed well.

Legit year where one draft's 1.2 will go 1.8 in another draft and vice versa. Never seen anything like it.

Bojang0301 said:
Top 8 picks in fantasy rookie drafts should all be RB. Significant drop off afterwards. If you need an RB you better get in the top 8 and if you have a top 8 pick you better be getting a premium return.
8 RBs, DJ Moore, more RBs

ESB went in the 6th round and is competing with 3-4 other WR's the Packers are more invested in to even get the last roster spot at the position. Odds he ever becomes anything are very, very low. 

ESB went in the 6th round and is competing with 3-4 other WR's the Packers are more invested in to even get the last roster spot at the position. Odds he ever becomes anything are very, very low. 
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you but Allison, Yancey, and Davis aren't a murderers row. J'Mon Moore is pretty good. 

Last edited by a moderator:
TripItUp said:
Bracie Smathers said:
Shack goes to Seattle one pick after Mo.
Can't help but root for the kid.

Great pic of him with the young cheerleader who was missing her arm.
https://twitter.com/WillBrinson/status/990290966778130435

Will Brinson‏Verified account @WillBrinson

FollowFollow @WillBrinson

If you don’t get chills/tears/misty-eyed watching the scene at Shaquem Griffin’s house when he was drafted, get your heart checked.

Actually kind of like the landing spot for Tanner Lee. He's got a long way to go on the mental side of being a QB, but I think he's got a better arm than Bortles when it comes to both accuracy and velocity. Could be a good long-term development pick to take over when Bortles inevitably struggles again.

From the "kickers are people too" department:

This is the first time since 1999 that the NFL draft selected 4 punters.  And it's not over yet!

From the "kickers are people too" department:

This is the first time since 1999 that the NFL draft selected 4 punters.  And it's not over yet!
Vikings reporter talking to their new kicker, tells him it's good we took you because we're going to need you to kick alot of extra points. Said the draft worked out well for the Packers too because they drafted a punter and will be punting the ball alot. Nice.

I make rankings every year before the draft.  My top 40 players had 3 people in it not drafted at all.  Josh Adams, Deontay Burnett and Ryan Nall.  All of who I've moved down my rankings.  I had Josh Adams in the 20's, Burnett and Nall in the 30's.  

Biggest riser in my rankings after some rough movement while the draft was happening: 

DJ Moore or Royce Freeman.  Both moved up more than 5 spots in my rankings.  

Favorite landing spot:

Michael Gallup.  He's my favorite WR in the draft and he went to a prime spot.  I'm pumped for him

Biggest faller in my rankings:

Equanimeous St. Brown or Dallas Goedert.  Yikes on both.  Goedert in a hellish landing spot it seems with Ertz in front and lots of pass catchers there.  Hard to find catches in that offense for him.  ESB on the surface looks like a good landing spot, but the 6th round is very alarming to me.  I loved him a lot before the draft, but the last unsolved piece was draft spot, and that doesn't inspire confidence.

Most interesting all around:

Anthony Miller - This screams safety blanket to me for Mr. Biscuit.  If Trubisky is good, which we don't really know yet, I think Miller is going to be a ppr monster.  

Honorable Mentions for interesting spots

Justin Jackson - Ekeler seems like a nobody to me, and this guy is the real deal when it comes to a pass catching RB.  

Dylan Cantrell - Another Charger, he's basically a Tyrell Williams clone, so after this year depending on what Mike Williams can accomplish could be a deep stash.\

Courtland Sutton/Daeshawn Hamilton - put the hammer in DT and Sanders' coffin?  Interesting they double downed on WR.  

Ito Smith - Coleman moving on after this year, could be the future backup to Freeman and his draft spot is impressive to me without a combine invite.  

What are people's first thoughts on Anthony Miller vs Tre'Quan Smith vs Michael Gallup? I assume we aren't putting Pettis or Chark in this group. I put Gallup with the 2nd round guys because of his ideal situation. 

Donnybrook said:
So If I am reading this right, he basically couldn't put down the bong long even to clean up his act for the combine.  Cleveland this is for you. 
I'm wondering if he's coming into the league already suspended.  Failed combine test definitely gets him in program. Does arrest in college count as another strike?

Forget about whether pot should be legalized or not. Biggest takeaway is he should know he's going to be tested and can't take the draft seriously enough to stay clean for a few weeks. 

I was wondering if he would fall to 7th or UDFA. I can't see using a 4th on a kid with a 2 cent head

What are people's first thoughts on Anthony Miller vs Tre'Quan Smith vs Michael Gallup? I assume we aren't putting Pettis or Chark in this group. I put Gallup with the 2nd round guys because of his ideal situation. 
Gallup jumped on my board but mostly because I didn't know much about him before, a few people I respect started talking about him before the draft, and the spot is perfect. He's probably an early 2nd now. 

I'm wondering if he's coming into the league already suspended.  Failed combine test definitely gets him in program. Does arrest in college count as another strike?

Forget about whether pot should be legalized or not. Biggest takeaway is he should know he's going to be tested and can't take the draft seriously enough to stay clean for a few weeks. 

I was wondering if he would fall to 7th or UDFA. I can't see using a 4th on a kid with a 2 cent head
I agree with the point but a diluted sample, while counting as a failed test, could just be because he drank too much h2o. It could be because he drank some sort of pee cleaner as well, but it’s pretty easy to produce an unusable sample. 

Funny draft with the convergence of the "RB renaissance" of the 2 seasons as well as the talent distribution of this class being so heavy at RB, interior o-line and very thing at the typically valuable positions of edge rusher, receiver, corner and LT. 

This is different from every other draft grade article.

It gives two grades, one of fit of pick to need of team and then gives a grade on value which is different from any other grading scale I've ever seen with the draft.

Anything unique and able to provide a nuanced take is interesting because most other grades struggle to quantify both of those points.

First round grades and value grades of each pick 

... To help you make sense of all the Round 1 chaos, here are our grades for each pick. Let’s break down how well each player fits with his new team and what type of value each club got with its pick.

1. Cleveland Browns: QB Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma

Fit: A+  Value: A+

2. New York Giants: RB Saquon Barkley, Penn State 

Fit: A+ Value: C-

3. New York Jets (from Colts): QB Sam Darnold, USC

Fit: A+ Value: A+

4. Cleveland Browns (from Texans): CB Denzel Ward, Ohio State

Fit: A+ Value: A

5. Denver Broncos: DE Bradley Chubb, NC State

Fit: A+ Value: A+

6. Indianapolis Colts (from Jets): OG Quenton Nelson, Notre Dame

Fit: A+ Value: B+