What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rank the rookie rbs so far (1 Viewer)

Good thing Cleveland didn't draft Barkley. He'd have to compete with Hyde and Johnson for touches.
You make an amusing point.

To be fair Duke Johnson is a top 5 receiving RB in the league by some pretty objective measures. He has been very good at that.

Hyde is kind of fading in peoples eyes due to his advancing age and SF being willing to let him walk, but he is still a quality RB as well. I don't think he is as good as Chubb but its not a huge difference for me comparing them as rookie prospects. I had Hyde high tier two coming out and have Chubb as tier one.

Perfectly reasonable though to expect that Hyde and Johnson will play a lot of snaps and get opportunities that they might not have if they drafted Barkley. Barkley is a great receiver who could take Johnsons job. Chubb isn't.

After Barkley and Guice, it's razor tight between these guys. Each guy has 1 question hanging there that could be the difference between an being a low end RB2 and a top 6 RB. 

Penny: love the talent, but he played with one of the best run blocking lines in college football. Seattle definitely won't be able to open massive holes for him. Can Seattle fix this line sooner than later? If the line is good in 2 years, we got a bellcow RB paired with prime Russell Wilson. If the line isn't good, Penny might struggle to ever be productive. 

Sony: This is simple. Will BB let a single RB consistently get 20 touches? If so, Sony might bet better than Barkley. If not, this could be a frustrating waste of a top pick. 

Chubb: Are the Browns on the verge of becoming a good offense? Plenty of reasons to believe, but it does require faith. In a good offense, Chubb has the skills to produce. He's such a good athlete that I would be shocked if he can't learn to help in the passing game. He is going to be a wrecking crew around the GL. Just how often will the Browns get there?

Ronald Jones: Can he learn to be a good receiver? Not just a dump-off guy, but someone that can run wheel routes, choice routes, circle routes, etc. If he can, then we might see a Kamara like impact. If not, then what are we even doing here with a small HR hitter who doesn't catch the ball?

Kerryon: Is he really good? I think the Lions offense and offensive line could be one of the better units in the league over the next couple years. If Kerryon is good, there is a huge opportunity in high powered offense. 

Freeman: Same as Kerryon. If he is as good as he looked in college, then he's going run away with the job from Booker and Henderson. Based on the investment being put in, the Broncos are planning for the offense of the future and Freeman is likely a key part of it. 

It's as if Chubb wasn't hyped as the next coming of CHrist until his knee, and Barkley coming on to the scene.

ps: Chubb has still been ELITE in the months leading up to the end of his college career, and his knee seems ot be no longer an issue.

But, I guess if you don't watch college ball, you wouldn't know.

It's as if Chubb wasn't hyped as the next coming of CHrist until his knee, and Barkley coming on to the scene.

ps: Chubb has still been ELITE in the months leading up to the end of his college career, and his knee seems ot be no longer an issue.

Who are you talking to?

The amount of hype for Chubb as a freshman has certainly followed him even though I don't think he has played at that same level since recovering from the injury. He is still very good post injury but no he doesn't look like Gurley post injury or even before that really. Gurley showed more as a receiver in college than Chubb has.

He was good as a senior: 6.0 ypc in the SEC is very good. It isn't the 7.7 he average prior to the injury (or the 7.9 Sony Michel ran for). Also, he was great in the passing game as freshman but was never really used as a receiver after the injury. I think a lot of that could be dependent on their roles in the offense, but I am not totally convinced he is elite. 

No one is on Gurley's level. Not even Saquon. 
Good point and an important one when draft here. Even the great Todd Gurley can have a bad fantasy year if the offense isn't functional. Which of these rookie RBs is most likely to get held back by their offense?

Good point and an important one when draft here. Even the great Todd Gurley can have a bad fantasy year if the offense isn't functional. Which of these rookie RBs is most likely to get held back by their offense?
And this is why I think ppl are ranking Chubb so low.. "Oh, it's the Browns"

Yes, the Browns, who have Gordon, Landry, Njoku catching balls, Taylor and Mayfield now at QB (Tyrod alone the best QB we've had in almost 20yrs), Duke still there, as is Hyde...

But, Todd Haley. Chubb has Haley written all over him. 

Then whats your beef playing the people must not have watched him play card?

Not called for.
because not just in this thread, but all over it's "it's the Browns" - well, if you watched him play, and were aware of the changes in the organization (from coaching, GM to players) you wouldnt be using those as reasons to drop Chubb.

because not just in this thread, but all over it's "it's the Browns" - well, if you watched him play, and were aware of the changes in the organization (from coaching, GM to players) you wouldnt be using those as reasons to drop Chubb.
But comparing Chubb to Barkley makes one sound like a guy who's girl friend left him for another man and now he's trying to make himself feel better.

bostonfred said:
Disclaimer - I own picks 3 and 8 in a non ppr dynasty and honestly have no idea who to take at 3 and no control over who i get at 8. I was so settled in on Chubb at 3 that I might have been overestimating Chubb and underrating Guice and Michel before the draft started.  

All 8 backs went to good spots, and the guys everyone thought were most talented went to the worst spots. I think you have to keep guys like guice and Chubb a little higher than their situation dictates because they are ostensibly more talented and more likely to have NFL success, but the supposedly less talented guys all went to places where they could get 3 down work from day one. 
Um, what?

I have 1.4 and 1.5 in my rookie draft, and freaking love the way the draft fell.  

I figured I wouldn't have a shot at Guice, so hoped he went to a loser organization.  Mission accomplished.  He might have a good year this year, he's a great talent.  But dynasty-wise, the Redskins are the Redskins, and I don't want to count on their players.  

I was hoping a back I didn't like went to a great situation.  Ronald Jones to Tampa.  Ronald Jones is in a great situation, but there is this Jamaal Charles comp out there, and it doesn't fly.  He's in position for three-down work, and if he can do that at that size, he'd be the only one doing it.  He's not big, and has shown nothing as a receiver.  That, my friends, is not a good combo when looking for a 3 down back.  PRAYING he goes at 1.3 in front of me.  

If I can get Chubb and Penny at 4 and 5, that's who I would take at 2 and 3, so that would be killer.  

If someone takes Penny at 2 or 3, which I could see, I'll take Chubb and take Guice, unless I can get a crazy trade haul for him.  

Chubb's in a bad situation?  Not from where I sit.  Duke on last year of his deal and Hyde a) not as good as Chubb and b) on a short term deal.  Can be cut after this year, easily.  

Changing my handle to Soulfly4.   :banned:

I have 1.4 and 1.5 in my rookie draft, and freaking love the way the draft fell.  

I figured I wouldn't have a shot at Guice, so hoped he went to a loser organization.  Mission accomplished.  He might have a good year this year, he's a great talent.  But dynasty-wise, the Redskins are the Redskins, and I don't want to count on their players.  

I was hoping a back I didn't like went to a great situation.  Ronald Jones to Tampa.  Ronald Jones is in a great situation, but there is this Jamaal Charles comp out there, and it doesn't fly.  He's in position for three-down work, and if he can do that at that size, he'd be the only one doing it.  He's not big, and has shown nothing as a receiver.  That, my friends, is not a good combo when looking for a 3 down back.  PRAYING he goes at 1.3 in front of me.  

If I can get Chubb and Penny at 4 and 5, that's who I would take at 2 and 3, so that would be killer.  

If someone takes Penny at 2 or 3, which I could see, I'll take Chubb and take Guice, unless I can get a crazy trade haul for him.  

Chubb's in a bad situation?  Not from where I sit.  Duke on last year of his deal and Hyde a) not as good as Chubb and b) on a short term deal.  Can be cut after this year, easily.  

Changing my handle to Soulfly4.   :banned:
They would be smart to bring Duke back IMO. Duke's game and Chubb's game don't really overlap so it's not a negative factor IMO. 

You are sitting pretty at 4 and 5. No matter what, you will get 2 good backs who are likely stepping into big opportunities. 

SF3 isn't wrong that chubb is a really gold prospect in a pretty decent landing spot, but the Homer glasses do have him going a bit over the top with it. 

I am an sec honk that will watch just about any sec game so I have seen a lot of him over the years (initially I wrote that I have seen a lot of chubb over the years, but thought a re-wording might be in order) and he looked 9retty good this year, but he was definitely not pre-injury Chubb. Pre-injury Chubb was Barkley and the guy I saw this year was not Barkley. 

It's also worth noting that pre-injury Chubb looked like he was on a different planet from Sony. I remember watching Georgia games back then and getting frustrated any time Sony came in the game because it seemed like a waste to run a play where chubb wasn't the one getting the ball. This year however they were pretty interchangeable. Part of that is that Sony has improved a lot since then but part of. It is also that Chubb is still  it the same guy. 

As far as Cleveland goes things do appear to be lining up nicely on offense but we have seen that many times before with Cleveland and been let down. All of the guys on that offense look like good prospects but none other than the guy who could be kicked out of the league at any time are proven, and we've seen no shortage of nice looking prospects in Cleveland fizzle out before. Todd Haley does provide some optimism though. 

And of course it doesn't help that he's in the most crowded backfield of all the rooks either. I think chubb will emerge from the group and Duke is on the last year of his rookie deal to boot but it is an added risk. They could still re-sign Duke which would forever limit Chubb's receiving upside and Hyde is a wildcard with no significant cap savings to cutting him in the near future. 

Bottom line is I think chubb is ranked appropriately as a member of this big mish-mash of a tier. 

Who compared Chubb to Barkley right now?

What I said, was pre-injury, Chubb WAS Barkley. 
Well you said pre knee issue he was Barkley, and then said the knee is no longer an issue (and to boot, anyone that didn't recognize this must not watch college football). By the transitive property that says he is Barkley.

Well you said pre knee issue he was Barkley, and then said the knee is no longer an issue (and to boot, anyone that didn't recognize this must not watch college football). By the transitive property that says he is Barkley.
May have been worded awkwardly, but when I say his knee is no longer an issue, I mean it's fully healed and he ran hard on it. Not that it's back to pre-injury status.

But yes, Chubb WAS Barkley pre-injury. Now, he's just a top cheddar RB

Hey I am not one for bashing the Browns. They have had a lot of bad luck and they have gotten in their own way a lot, but I am hoping Mayfield can turn this team around and the offense does have some talented players on their offensive line.

I am a bit shocked with myself for having Chubb as the 5th RB of this very good draft class as I have been pretty down on him relative to the consensus view throughout the pre draft process. I have watched 12 games of Chubb and threw out the worst two games and Chubb still does not grade as well as other RB from this draft class.

He does not show natural feel and skill as a receiver. You saying that Chubb was Barkley in 2014 is not accurate in my opinion as I have never seen Chubb show the receiving chops that Barkley has or that Gurley has, that is why I brought Gurley up. In 2014 Chubb was being compared to Gurley based on the expectation that Chubb would get better in subsequent seasons. Chubb did not really improve, the injury may be a big reason for that, but he didn't. That is why I would call his 2014 play hype. It built a very high expectation that he wasn't able to play up to.

This is fantasy football rankings we are talking about. Being able to catch the ball is a huge factor in a players value relative to the rest of the field and Chubb does not really offer that they way Barkley does.

I think Chubb has never had to be the "Receiving back" at Georgia. 

So, as to whether or not he can be a big receiving threat is more unknown, than "he's not"

So, as to whether or not he can be a big receiving threat is more unknown, than "he's not"
He was a good receiver his freshman year. Sony emerged only because of Chubb's injury. I'm not saying Michel isn't good, but Chubb was soooo much better that he probably wouldn't have been able to hone his skills the way he has with a fully healthy Chubb. 

I am open to the possibility that Chubb may be a better receiver than we have seen from him at the college level.

We haven't seen that though, while it was apparent in regards to Gurley and is obvious in regards to Barkley.

Apples and Oranges here. If Chubb was a better receiver than we have seen, I think Georgia would have used him that way more often than they did (although still not as much as they should, just due to the scheme).

What I have seen of Chubb as a receiver was some drops on easy passes and not fully developed in that area at all on the rare occasion he did get an opportunity to show what he could do as a receiver.

Um, what?
All 8 backs went to good spots

Kerryon has a clear path to start for the lions

Freeman has a clear path to start for the Broncos

Rojo has a clear path to start for the bucs

But the guys who were consistently going near the top didn't get quite as lucky 

Michel should immediately lead in a traditional rbbc with a great pass catching back and goal line back

Chubb should quickly lead in a rbbc with a great pass catching back and solid veteran

Guice should immediately lead a potential rbbc with a great pass catching back

They all went to spots where they can contribute immediately but the best guys went to the worst spots. 

Chubb vs Barkley is an argument going nowhere.  Just throwing that out there.  

It's interesting that Barkley to the Browns was talked up all spring, and after they draft a different, but still excellent prospect, the backfield is suddenly a problem.  

Barkley's spot is less than ideal, a QB who has been bad for two years, no young QB in the wings, and a bad line.  He's still gonna catch 75 balls, and be a RB1.  

All 8 backs went to good spots

Kerryon has a clear path to start for the lions

Freeman has a clear path to start for the Broncos

Rojo has a clear path to start for the bucs

But the guys who were consistently going near the top didn't get quite as lucky 

Michel should immediately lead in a traditional rbbc with a great pass catching back and goal line back

Chubb should quickly lead in a rbbc with a great pass catching back and solid veteran

Guice should immediately lead a potential rbbc with a great pass catching back

They all went to spots where they can contribute immediately but the best guys went to the worst spots. 
I think this is pretty spot on.  

Take the best talent, they will emerge.  Lesser backs in good spots can see their jobs taken away by better talent in a year.  

I think this is pretty spot on.  

Take the best talent, they will emerge.  Lesser backs in good spots can see their jobs taken away by better talent in a year.  
Agree on Royce and Kerryon, but I had RoJo as an underrated talent all the way through so him landing in a great spot is a merger of talent and situation for me.

Then we have to consider that although the FF community considered Penny one of the "lesser backs" it appears that the NFL did not.  It looks like it was more than just the Seahawks who were willing to spend signficant capital on him as the clear #2 RB so they didn't get "stuck" with one of the guys that we all thought was the better talent.

Agree on Royce and Kerryon, but I had RoJo as an underrated talent all the way through so him landing in a great spot is a merger of talent and situation for me.

Then we have to consider that although the FF community considered Penny one of the "lesser backs" it appears that the NFL did not.  It looks like it was more than just the Seahawks who were willing to spend signficant capital on him as the clear #2 RB so they didn't get "stuck" with one of the guys that we all thought was the better talent.
I'm not down on Penny at all, and a better back has a way of making a line look better.  I feel like I read somewhere that people were late to the Penny party because he came from a school that cranked out big numbers at RB for years, so it is kind if a Texas Tech WR situation.  Pretty sure, I'm a little hazy on this.  

He is also one of the few backs that has actually caught some balls in college, and that matters.  

He has the upright style, which makes you think about injuries, but other than that, he has 3 down size and skill.  

I'm not down on Penny at all, and a better back has a way of making a line look better.  I feel like I read somewhere that people were late to the Penny party because he came from a school that cranked out big numbers at RB for years, so it is kind if a Texas Tech WR situation.  Pretty sure, I'm a little hazy on this.  

He is also one of the few backs that has actually caught some balls in college, and that matters.  

He has the upright style, which makes you think about injuries, but other than that, he has 3 down size and skill.  
For me it's not just the SDSU thing.  He looks very unimpressive to me when I watch his videos.  I am having trouble reconciling that with how high several NFL teams seem to be on him.

You are right. Donnell Pumphrey put up insane stats for 3 years there. 2000/20, 2000/20, 2300/17 before Penny took over this year and had 2300/25. 

Also, I was under the impression Penny was a 1 season wonder, but in 2016 he had 1200/14 and was arguably the best KR of all time. 

Georgia just really didn't ask their RBs to do much ball catching. 

Again, as to whether or not Chubb is a good receiver is still up in the air, but based on all his other tools and skillsets, I'm gonna go with "he'll be just fine"

Georgia just really didn't ask their RBs to do much ball catching. 

Again, as to whether or not Chubb is a good receiver is still up in the air, but based on all his other tools and skillsets, I'm gonna go with "he'll be just fine"
I don't think it should be a problem for him, but I don't see pass catching being a strength of his either. It won't matter too much, his value will just be tied into Cleveland's ppg. If they can score, Chubb will score. 

I don't think it should be a problem for him, but I don't see pass catching being a strength of his either. It won't matter too much, his value will just be tied into Cleveland's ppg. If they can score, Chubb will score. 
ya, in no way am I expected an Alvin Kamara, but I am more than certain he can catch, based off his freshman year.

Landry/Gordon/Njoku should have them in the RZ plenty. Chubb could be a TD monster.

There might not be a path to Chubb catching 50 balls, but that negative needs to be weighed relatively.

Fournette will never catch a million balls, and I'll take him on my team.  

Sony had all of 9 catches last year but people are talking about him like he was playing the Darren Sproles role for that offense.
Interesting.  Does that mean Georgia just didn’t throw to rbs very?   Is Sony’s perceived receiving value overblown?

Interesting.  Does that mean Georgia just didn’t throw to rbs very?   Is Sony’s perceived receiving value overblown?
In 15 and 16, Michel had 48 catches for 410/4. That sounds like a guy that can catch the ball.  In 2014, Chubb had 18 for 213 and 2. It seemed like he was capable. This year, they used a likely future NFL RB D'Andre Swift to handle most of the pass catching work out of the backfield (17 for 153). That makes it seem like Georgia just uses ### catching as a way to get the younger backs on the field.

They even did the same thing with Gurley.

Last season the Bulldogs ran the ball 44.9 times per game and threw the ball 20.3 times per game.

D'Andre Swift had 17 receptions as the 3rd RB on the team in his freshman season, Chubb had 4, Michel had 9.

I read their explanation being that they run the ball so much, they wanted to keep Chubb and Michel fresh for the main thing they are trying to do which is run the ball.

Seems like a reasonable explanation I suppose but the facts are they still used Swift more as a receiving option than they did their other two RB. Swift had the 4th most receptions on the team that did not throw very much.

In 2016 there was a bit more balance with the offense running the ball 40.8 times per game and throwing the ball 29.7 times per game.

Michel had 22 receptions in 2016 4th most on the team, Chubb had 5 receptions.

In 2015 they ran the ball 37.2 times per game and passed the ball 25.2 times per game.

Michel had 26 receptions that season, 3rd most of the team, but it should also be noted that Chubb only played in 6 games that year due to his injury. He did have 4 receptions in those games. Michel likely would not have had as much opportunity as a runner and a receiver if Chubb had not been injured.

In 2014 Todd Gurley only played in 6 games and Chubb had 18 receptions 213 yards 2 TD which is pretty good. Michel as the 3rd RB had 7 receptions. Gurley had 12 receptions in his 6 games played.

Todd Gurley had 37 receptions in 2013 as the primary RB. There were head coaching changes in 2015 and 2016 however, so what they were doing with the previous coach would not carry over to the new one.

Sony Michel isn't a bad receiver, maybe he is even above average for RB but yes his perceived receiving value and comparisons of him to Kamaras 80 receptions as a rookie with Brees is pure hyperbole.

SayWhat? said:
Totally agree.  Giants dropped the #2 overall pick on a RB and he might get pined for Jonathan Stewart if he screws up here or there. Buyer beware.
 If you know anything about Barkley, the Giants or the Giants RBs you would not even be the slightly concerned about that happening. Barkley will average at minimum 18 touches per game ...1200 rushing 320 receiving and 10 TDs ... but more likely to be something like 1500 400 16 

If you know anything about Barkley, the Giants or the Giants RBs you would not even be the slightly concerned about that happening. Barkley will average at minimum 18 touches per game ...1200 rushing 320 receiving and 10 TDs ... but more likely to be something like 1500 400 16 
I love that they drafted Hernandez (like the Jags did with LF and Cam Robinson in the 2nd). 

MY GOD EVERYONE I WAS JOKING!  

Of ####### course the Giants didn’t pass on a potential franchise QB to draft a RB #2 OVERALL and then go and bench him if he missed a block like the crazy guy I quoted was speculating.  I’m sorry the sarcasm in my response to that nonsense wasn’t laid on with more emphasis.

And this is why I think ppl are ranking Chubb so low.. "Oh, it's the Browns"

Yes, the Browns, who have Gordon, Landry, Njoku catching balls, Taylor and Mayfield now at QB (Tyrod alone the best QB we've had in almost 20yrs), Duke still there, as is Hyde...

But, Todd Haley. Chubb has Haley written all over him. 
The Browns will be better on offense, but their defense is still putrid.  Which means they will be playing from behind a lot and using Duke Johnson.  Lots of potential bad game scripts for Chubb to be considered in the top 3-5 of the rookie RB's.

What?

Their defense is actually quite good and had them in games they had NO business being in, until they gassed around the mid 3rd quarter from being on the field 80% of the time. 

If you don't trust me, have a listen to Mayock during the draft. 

Man, I disagree with that.  Their defense is on the rise.  
2nd most points of any team given up last year.  Their offense got a lot better which should help the defense.  But it's hard to think they will suddenly be a good defense.  Maybe middle of the pack.

2nd most points of any team given up last year.  Their offense got a lot better which should help the defense.  But it's hard to think they will suddenly be a good defense.  Maybe middle of the pack.
Because the offense screwed them.  Wilted under the pressure.

I have a hard time seeing the defense getting better with Gregg Williams still running the defense. You guys see how often they played Jabril Peppers 30 yards off the line of scrimmage? First of all, that is absurdly and Peppers is a hybrid S/LB not a centerfielder. They completely negate his strengths when move him so far off the line of scrimmage. If there is anything that damns the Browns this year, it will be the coaching staff.

Users who are viewing this thread