What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wow Philly Really Screwed Dallas!!!! (1 Viewer)

They have one of the best TEs in football in Ertz  ...so l wouldn't think it was necessary to trade up and take a TE in the 2nd round.

Its a good pick but I think it was as much to stick it  to Dallas. How nice would it have been for Dallas to draft Wittens replacement with a great TE named Dallas. 

Not sure why everyone just decided he was the Cowboys pick.  The broadcast was playing pretty fast and loose with declaring who the Cowboys wanted in the 2nd round (also declaring Sutton was their guy when the Broncos grabbed him).  Ian Rapoport and Albert Breer both dispelled that Goedert was their pick.

Cowboys met with 2 TEs throughout the pre-draft process, both guys projected late/UDFA's.  The Witten retirement undoubtedly pushed TE up the priority list but it's not as if the Cowboys are without other holes.  Connor Williams fulfills one of those need.   Also could've went WR, DT, FS, etc., which are just as much, if not more of a need than TE.

They wasted a high pick to prove a point or stick it to a team? No, they went and got the guy they wanted and believed the Dallas would get a TE at that pick it’s that simple. I saw several mock drafts that had the Eagles taking a TE at the end of round 1. I thought that was insane considering they have a stud in Ertz so they went up and got the guy they wanted in the 2nd round. 

Tex

He wasn't their target. They wanted Williams and got him. 
This passes the sniff test.

They were up to the podium in a heartbeat once they were up. It really looked like they were operating on the, "as long as this guy is available, he's ours," principle.

lol at people saying Cowboys wanted Conner Williams the whole time. Sure they did, teams are always spot on with what their draft plans are the whole time. if for some reason this is the case, then the Cowboys would be idiots to not get the potentially top TE in the draft and get an OL who doesn't know if he can play G or T in the league

and i wouldn't say Eagles screwed Cowboys. It is just simple, Eagles are playing chess, Cowboys are playing checkers. they have been for years. Just cause they got lucky with Dak, doesn't mean they draft well. It has been apparent for 15+ years Cowboys are much closer to a team like the Browns then the one they try to tell everyone they are. And they are lucky enough to have a good chunk of fans that believe whatever they say

Last edited by a moderator:
lol at people saying Cowboys wanted Conner Williams the whole time. Sure they did, teams are always spot on with what their draft plans are the whole time. if for some reason this is the case, then the Cowboys would be idiots to not get the potentially top TE in the draft and get an OL who doesn't know if he can play G or T in the league

and i wouldn't say Eagles screwed Cowboys. It is just simple, Eagles are playing chess, Cowboys are playing checkers. they have been for years. Just cause they got lucky with Dak, doesn't mean they draft well. It has been apparent for 15+ years Cowboys are much closer to a team like the Browns then the one they try to tell everyone they are. And they are lucky enough to have a good chunk of fans that believe whatever they say
The Cowboys have been one of the better drafting teams of the last decade. They were straight up to the podium and drafted a guy they visited. They acknowledged when Philly sniped the last year (Pumphrey). But enjoy your lol.

The Cowboys have been one of the better drafting teams of the last decade. They were straight up to the podium and drafted a guy they visited. They acknowledged when Philly sniped the last year (Pumphrey). But enjoy your lol.
think this just goes along with my original thought, what talent is currently on the Cowboys team? there is some sure, but coming into this draft they had pretty much needs at almost every single position except for RB and QB. Eagles don't have any glaring needs, they have a well built team which gives them the ability to draft BPA for majority of this draft. 

I feel confident Dallas offense will be bottom 5-10 team next year. Depends on schedule of course and they like to run up the score on weaker teams, but very good chance Cowboys are the worst team in the NFC East. 

They wasted a high pick to prove a point or stick it to a team? No, they went and got the guy they wanted and believed the Dallas would get a TE at that pick it’s that simple. I saw several mock drafts that had the Eagles taking a TE at the end of round 1. I thought that was insane considering they have a stud in Ertz so they went up and got the guy they wanted in the 2nd round. 

Tex
They ran a lot of 2-TE sets last year, and even occasional 3-TE sets. They will make plenty of use of Goedert. Also, Ertz always seems to miss a few games every year. TE2 is a very important position in this offense. 

think this just goes along with my original thought, what talent is currently on the Cowboys team? there is some sure, but coming into this draft they had pretty much needs at almost every single position except for RB and QB. Eagles don't have any glaring needs, they have a well built team which gives them the ability to draft BPA for majority of this draft. 

I feel confident Dallas offense will be bottom 5-10 team next year. Depends on schedule of course and they like to run up the score on weaker teams, but very good chance Cowboys are the worst team in the NFC East. 
Sorry, buddy. You're mistaken.  

I guess if their best players don't score fantasy football points then they don't count?

I guess if their best players don't score fantasy football points then they don't count?
yes, that is the point here  :loco: . they have 1 guy on defense who didn't do much his first 2 years in the league, and maybe had a breakout year last year (TBD if it can be maintained). Lee has been in the league for ever, and if he is healthy he is good. their OL is discussed in sports media and fans as great, but they have 3 top OL and not a ton else.

who else? and please say Rico Gathers....

yes, that is the point here  :loco: . they have 1 guy on defense who didn't do much his first 2 years in the league, and maybe had a breakout year last year (TBD if it can be maintained). Lee has been in the league for ever, and if he is healthy he is good. their OL is discussed in sports media and fans as great, but they have 3 top OL and not a ton else.

who else? and please say Rico Gathers....
Ok, but you just said they have a QB, RB and nothing else.  Perhaps you were speaking in hyperbole, but Lawrence, Lee, Tyron Smith, Martin, and Frederick are all universally accepted as top 5 players at their position.

I'm not here to try to sell the Cowboys as a team full of studs, but the implication that they've drafted poorly in recent years and are devoid of talent is just wrong.  They have flaws, as you've so eloquently pointed out here, but all the more reason why Goedert probably wasn't a priority for them at that stage, even though he was "the #1 ranked TE on the board," as if that means something.

Ok, but you just said they have a QB, RB and nothing else.  Perhaps you were speaking in hyperbole, but Lawrence, Lee, Tyron Smith, Martin, and Frederick are all universally accepted as top 5 players at their position.

I'm not here to try to sell the Cowboys as a team full of studs, but the implication that they've drafted poorly in recent years and are devoid of talent is just wrong.  They have flaws, as you've so eloquently pointed out here, but all the more reason why Goedert probably wasn't a priority for them at that stage, even though he was "the #1 ranked TE on the board," as if that means something.
He was not only the number one te but the number one pass catcher.  Plus you don't have to pay him first round money.  Dallas lost.

He was not only the number one team but the number one pass catcher.  Plus you don't have to pay him first round money.  Dallas lost.
Eric Ebron was the top TE and pass catching TE four years ago too.

Look, I like Goedert, and I wouldn't have been too upset if they took him because TE is definitely a need.  However, based on the Cowboys lack of pre-draft attention paid to the TE position, picking Goedert there would've screamed panic to me, and been more reminiscent of their front office decisions of 10 years ago.

Dallas screwed Dallas and that was primarily when they had no plan to sign Sammy Watkins or Allen Robinson, when their FO went to Aruba and turned their phones off and when they even thought Witten was a capable starting TE last year.

Exactly. I have no qualms about saying Dallas now has the best personnel department in the NFL. Will McClay has made a huge difference.

Anyway, just the thought that we'd openly announce Witten's retirement if we were going to take a top TE is asinine. It's just silly. Not saying they announced Witten's retirement as a distraction, but I simply think they didn't care because TE wasn't on their radar with a potential difference-maker in Rico already on the roster.

All I'll say is this...if Philly took the bait (that wasn't even intended) & screwed themselves trying to screw Dallas (which they obviously didn't by allowing us to get Williams), it was a colossal blunder. I intitially thought that wasn't the case, but the more I think about the Goedert pick with it not being optimal for them, I'm beginning to come to the conclusion they might were worried about us taking Goedert & fell on their sword (essentially sacrificing a better fit for their team). Really dumb if so.

Now we're going to pound them with our OL, LOL.

Cowboys fans clamoring to try and claim it didn't happen only proves as much.  May God bless David Akers and the Philadelphia Eagles for all eternity.  Funniest thing I've see at a draft.
Sorry, no, Pearson was 100x the entertainment.  It was original, genuine, and far less scripted.  And Eisen's reaction was the greatest live TV moment I've ever seen - "Drew Pearson, soaking in the hate!  And SSSSPITIN' it back!".

- a Raider fan with no dog in the fight.

This passes the sniff test.

They were up to the podium in a heartbeat once they were up. It really looked like they were operating on the, "as long as this guy is available, he's ours," principle.
Yep. You could tell Williams was the pick.

Again, Goedert is a nice player, but we have a potentially more impactful TE prospect in Rico.

WIlliams was a genuine great pick by the fact it was a steal as far as value as well as a need. Maybe just as importantly we now can have FA signee Cameron Fleming be our top backup OL & he's very solid, even as a longterm fill-in. 

Exactly. I have no qualms about saying Dallas has the best personnel department in the NFL & it may not be close.

Just the thought that we'd openly announce Witten's retirement if we were going to take a top TE is asinine. It's just silly, LOL.

Not saying they announced Witten's retirement as a distraction, but I simply think they didn't care because TE wasn't on their radar with a potential difference-maker in Rico already on the roster.

All I'll say is this...if Philly took the bait (that wasn't even intended & screwed themselves trying to screw Dallas (which they obviously didn't by allowing us to get Williams), it was a colossal blunder. I intitially thought that wasn't the case, but the more I think about the Goedert pick with it not being optimal for them, I'm beginning to come to the conclusion they might were worried about us taking him.

Instead, we're going to pound them with our OL, LOL.
You lost me at Rico gathers

You lost me at Rico gathers
You may not be lost for long. Huge potential.

Not a sure thing by any means, but he's got more upside than any TE in this class (& really not close).

We'll know a lot more about Rico after this season.

Exactly. I have no qualms about saying Dallas now has the best personnel department in the NFL. Will McClay has made a huge difference.

Anyway, just the thought that we'd openly announce Witten's retirement if we were going to take a top TE is asinine. It's just silly. Not saying they announced Witten's retirement as a distraction, but I simply think they didn't care because TE wasn't on their radar with a potential difference-maker in Rico already on the roster.

All I'll say is this...if Philly took the bait (that wasn't even intended) & screwed themselves trying to screw Dallas (which they obviously didn't by allowing us to get Williams), it was a colossal blunder. I intitially thought that wasn't the case, but the more I think about the Goedert pick with it not being optimal for them, I'm beginning to come to the conclusion they might were worried about us taking him.

Instead, we're going to pound them with our OL, LOL.
this is obvious shtick, right? there are a few inaccuracies as well here, Dallas never mentioned anything about Witten because they didn't know. Good 'ol Jer was even saying nothing was final the whole time. So they didn't announce cause they never knew. And the Rico Gathers love is great, what is this his 3rd year in the NFL? what are his career stats so far?

and the idea that a well run org, SB champ, would do this to to get at the Cowboys is just royally dumb. yes, it was a nice coincidence, but the Eagles actually run a legit team. they don't waste their time/resources caring what a team like the Cowboys. it is like a marathon winner worrying about the person in 100th place

Sorry, no, Pearson was 100x the entertainment.  It was original, genuine, and far less scripted.  And Eisen's reaction was the greatest live TV moment I've ever seen - "Drew Pearson, soaking in the hate!  And SSSSPITIN' it back!".

- a Raider fan with no dog in the fight.
ehh Pearson had nothing to say though. Akers actually did and made legit points

this is obvious shtick, right? there are a few inaccuracies as well here, Dallas never mentioned anything about Witten because they didn't know. Good 'ol Jer was even saying nothing was final the whole time. So they didn't announce cause they never knew. And the Rico Gathers love is great, what is this his 3rd year in the NFL? what are his career stats so far?

and the idea that a well run org, SB champ, would do this to to get at the Cowboys is just royally dumb. yes, it was a nice coincidence, but the Eagles actually run a legit team. they don't waste their time/resources caring what a team like the Cowboys. it is like a marathon winner worrying about the person in 100th place
You should know it's not schtick. Check out our draft picks recently (as a whole). Like I said, McClay has made a huge difference.

As far as Witten's retirement, he talked to Jerry before making it official. If you believe we would officially announce his retirement if we were actually looking at a top TE, you must think we're really stupid.

Regardless, all it takes to know Williams was our original pick is watching our actions right after you traded up. Williams was the pick. Will Hernandez was a serious contender at 19 so you know we were jumping on Williams & moving him to G once he was available at our 2nd round pick.

I tend to think the Eagles moved up in front of a TE needy team to grab the player they decided they really wanted. The fact that that TE needy team was Dallas was coincidence.

Teams do this in the first two rounds over QBs and RBs and premium tackles all the time. It just happened to be at TE this time. It's funny, but ultimately more coincidence than anything.

Bojang0301 said:
Dallas screwed Dallas and that was primarily when they had no plan to sign Sammy Watkins or Allen Robinson, when their FO went to Aruba and turned their phones off and when they even thought Witten was a capable starting TE last year.
You are saying Witten was not a capable starting TE last year?  Put the keyboard away and find another hobby.  The NFL is not for you.

modogg said:

:lmao:

I was watching Dallas' warroom cam live. 

Dallas' oline coach was between Jerry and Stephen several picks before the Eagles moved up.

They got who they wanted at 50

You are saying Witten was not a capable starting TE last year?  Put the keyboard away and find another hobby.  The NFL is not for you.
He was a below average to bad TE last year.

NFL: Not for long. Witten was done before last year.

I tend to think the Eagles moved up in front of a TE needy team to grab the player they decided they really wanted. The fact that that TE needy team was Dallas was coincidence.

Teams do this in the first two rounds over QBs and RBs and premium tackles all the time. It just happened to be at TE this time. It's funny, but ultimately more coincidence than anything.
they said they had 30-35 guys with 1st round grades. happened that 5-6 of those guys came off a in early 2nd and Eagles wanted one of those guys

He was a below average to bad TE last year.

NFL: Not for long. Witten was done before last year.
7th in receptions.  12th in yards.  10th in TD's. 

Below average to bad?  The NFL I watch has 32 teams.  

Based on the math I was taught, average would be right around 16. 

I was watching Dallas' warroom cam live. 

Dallas' oline coach was between Jerry and Stephen several picks before the Eagles moved up.

They got who they wanted at 50
and if that was their intention, that is why they have been such a wonderful, successful team this century

7th in receptions.  12th in yards.  10th in TD's. 

Below average to bad?  The NFL I watch has 32 teams.  

Based on the math I was taught, average would be right around 16. 
Guy was done and Dallas has put it off too long. You’re pretty much a clown.

I’m sure this is probably coming from someone who thinks cutting Dez for Allen Hurns was a good move too while Jason Witten has been running through sand the last two years. Maybe you should try your hand at scouting Bochi ball “Mr. Landry”.

and if that was their intention, that is why they have been such a wonderful, successful team this century
Not sure what them sucking has to do with me calling bull#### on people who think Philly stole the TE from Dallas

And this is rich coming from an Eagles fan. Took your lifetime to win one and were lucky to get there.

My advice, enjoy your win and forget trying to rub it in people's faces , you may not make another no matter good you think they are

Not sure what them sucking has to do with me calling bull#### on people who think Philly stole the TE from Dallas

And this is rich coming from an Eagles fan. Took your lifetime to win one and were lucky to get there.

My advice, enjoy your win and forget trying to rub it in people's faces , you may not make another no matter good you think they are
The eagles were the best team in football for all of last year.  Luck had nothing to do with it 

Guy was done and Dallas has put it off too long. You’re pretty much a clown.
The fact that you have to resort to name calling ("clown"), make suppositions about my thoughts ("you probably think") and reach for connections that have no relation to what we are talking about ("Ben Watson") tell me that you realize your statements about Witten are a joke and you are now just throwing 'stuff' at a wall to see if it sticks.

And the fact that you spread your responses over three posts and five minutes tells me all I need to know about your brain speed (if the content of the posts hadn't already), "Bojang0301".

Users who are viewing this thread