What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Mason Rudolph, PIT (1 Viewer)

pghrob

Hail to the Chief
So the Steelers moved up in the third round to draft Oklahoma State quarterback Mason Rudolph.

Ben Roethlisberger is reportedly interested in playing another 2 to 3 years, so did the Steelers draft him to be the heir apparent and under study?

After their drafting Joshua Dobbs in the fourth round last year it would appear that Landry Jones may be the odd man out and the Steelers backup pecking order.

Randy Fitchner and Ben Roethlisberger both tend to agree that competition in the quarterbacks room makes everybody better.

Some prognosticators thought that Mason Rudolph could be a late first-round pick, but carried risk as a quarterback who played in a spread offense.

Rudolph has all the measurables as well as extensive game tape and success at a power 5 school. He presented a great value to the Steelers in the third round. To those folks who wanted the Steelers to draft players who can help them win the Super Bowl now that pick could represent a disappointment. For those who are happy to see the Steelers be competitive over the long-haul, however it's a good strategic move.

What are your thoughts regarding Mason Rudolph's long-term prospects?

Last edited by a moderator:
He was most likely drafted with the thought that he can compete to back up Ben, and the hope that he can one day become a solid NFL starter. He played against a lot of poor defenses and put up a ton of stats, but he has a long way to go to become a good NFL starter. He should be able to beat out at least Dobbs in preseason.

The hope is definitely that he'll be ready to start when Ben retires, ideally 2-3 years from now. But if Ben takes a wrong hit this season and sustains a major injury, I bet he hangs it up. Hopefully that doesn't happen.

I had Rudolph in a tie with Jackson as my 4th favorite QB in this class, so this will be interesting in how their careers play out. I assume that Jackson will start sooner.

They have the luxury to wait. 

And yet Ben gets banged up enough to give him some nice tiny game-time moments if they choose to. But it may be easy to keep him locked on bench for a couple years if Landry or Dobbs can do anything whatsoever :-)puke:).

I have a hard time picturing Rudolph being fantasy relevant for at least a handful of years. Even if Ben goes down and he starts, I think he'll take time to develop. I don't foresee him having a Wentz-like year in his 2nd year. Maybe in his 5th year if Ben retires after 2 years and Rudolph has 2 more years in the system.

To me his ceiling is Big Ben, and he's not usually one of the best Fantasy options.

I really like this dude as a long-term stash in dynasty leagues. Nobody will work harder or has a better attitude & Rudolph has plenty of talent.

Big Ben probably has the best situation in the league right now & could play awhile longer, but Rudolph could inherit the vast majority of those weapons.

In leagues where the rules favor QBs, Rudolph especially makes for an interesting stash with outstanding upside.

Read the Titans are talking with the Steelers about acquiring QB Joshua Dobbs. He fits the playbook behind Mariota.

This plays off of Rudolph flashing in the teams classroom and practice.

Rudolph was graded with a 91? 89? Grade by ESPN. He's a special player and the extra good character type. Don't gloss over all you know about needs from FF and then minimize that six QBs were possibly being drafted in the first this year. It wasn't a normal scenario for Rudolph.

Ben missed the start of off-season stuff and Rudolph has been fantastic. When he has bad days they are complimenting him on his ability to overcome that very day. The kid's got a great head on his shoulder for learning too.

The curious thing about Rudolph was that the best teams wanted him. Somewhere near the draft, he skyrocketed in projections as all teams were intrigued. It was kind of odd how it played out.

The Steelers coach fell in love at Mason's pro day. You have never seen that gruff man gush so much...I promise it's worth googling for images and quotes. 

This is not the only Rudolph thread.

The spread offense is not a negative anymore since most teams have some spread plays in the NFL. OP you should give the draft reviewer a stink eye for saying that phrase in today's game. That's an outdated philosophy.

Jones is well above Dobbs and I feel like the Steelers are looking for another young QB. They almost already seem to have Mason locked in and it's like he exposed the other backups as "not what we want." 

I'm not a Steelers fan but have read a lot of them the last few years as my Titans kept signing players and coaches. Mason is so wow that I guess I've kept up. 

The spread offense is not a negative anymore since most teams have some spread plays in the NFL. OP you should give the draft reviewer a stink eye for saying that phrase in today's game. That's an outdated philosophy.

I couldn’t disagree more with this paragraph.  While every NFL team has some spread in its playbook, it’s hardly a base offense.  There’s a reason such an incredibly high percentage of spread QBs don’t succeed in the NFL after putting up video game type numbers in college.  Their QB education is woefully lacking.  They have to learn an entirely different skill set to the point of ingraining it as muscle memory while simultaneously figuring out the size, speed, and the much higher level of play of the NFL.  Taking snaps from center, footwork, presnap reads, setting up and manuevering in a pocket, sight agjustments while dropping and maneuvering.  It’s an extremely daunting change.

There’s a reason that almost no spread QBs have transferred into good to great NFL QBs.  Until it starts happening in even modest numbers it’s a very real and justified concern.  

That said, I do like Rudolph a lot and think he is a candidate to be that very rare guy who breaks through as a quality NFL starter despite running a spread O in college.  His mentality, football IQ, and work ethic are ideal.  He’s tenacious enough to put forth the time and effort required - and that is substantial - to make the transfer.  But it will take time.

I traded into the late 3rd to get Rudolph (gave up two 2019 3rd round picks). Fair trade, but he was great value there, IMO.

QBs are going to fall even farther than they typically do because of the outstanding depth at the position this year so I wanted to take advantage of that. I might need to stash Rudolph for several years before it pays off, but having Big Ben in that league made Rudolph even more appealing. I also have Wentz & Mayfield so I’m thinking of packaging Big Ben/Rudolph for an upgrade somewhere.

Brown may very well be declining by the time Rudolph gets his chance & Bell could be gone, but they still should have good weaponry (I really like Samuels) & currently have a top OL. I don’t particularly like rostering long-term stashes, but in leagues where the scoring favors QBs, Rudolph makes an especially good stash given his talent/likely situation combo.

Is this guy the most underrated backup/prospect dynasty ranked QB right now?  He's at the bottom of the barrel and I see a lot of names above his that are nothing special and they proved it on the field.  

Is this guy the most underrated backup/prospect dynasty ranked QB right now?  He's at the bottom of the barrel and I see a lot of names above his that are nothing special and they proved it on the field.  
IMO, no. But it's possible. If I could get him as a throw in or FA, I would, but I wouldn't pay anything for him. 

I'd swap Teddy Bridgewater for him, maybe. 

I see him as a career backup personally. I could see PIT draft a QB in next years rich class. They've had several "future franchise QBs"

First it was Jones, then Dobbs 2 years ago, Mason last year. I wouldnt put it past them to draft another in 2020

Possibly. I thought he was a 1st round caliber guy last year, and it was surprising he fell to round 3. I liked him more than Josh Allen last year, and more than Drew Lock or Daniel Jones this year. A lot of Matt Schaub to his game, and I wonder if that will also be his career path. In which case somebody like Vikings trade for him in 2021?

Should a back up 3rd round qb be on a ff roster other than SF or 2qb leagues?

cloppbeast said:
Should a back up 3rd round qb be on a ff roster other than SF or 2qb leagues?
Dobbs stepped up but I still think Rudolph is probably the future after Ben.

I love Joshua Dobbs.  I think he has the physical ability and drive to be a long term starter.  If I was a GM and I needed a QB, I would trade a 2nd round pick for him in a heartbeat.  I think Rudolph is the next Tommy Maddox and Pittsburgh can keep him. 

During the potential coaching change, Munchak's departure, and the AB stuff , I've read an unusually large amount of Steelers articles. Big Ben seems like a cranky old man to me. I missed all his complaints and calling people out so often. I really wonder if it's not best for that team to make a QB change and I was often a big fan of Ben's. 

Your team has lost their line coach before and done this "no we're fine, the replacement is good.....faaaa another sack?" dance before just like my Titans when Munchak left. It is brutal!

I thought they needed to keep Munch (over pay him if need be, it's still less than most players) and Ben would be the stability as Leveon and AB leave. 

With Ben's cranky (new to me) self, I don't know anymore. Maybe it's just time for the young guys that can take a hit and start anew? It really forced me to think of Ben in a different light

Would like to hear more thoughts about Mason Rudolph, now that we're poat-2019 NFL Draft.

Just acquired for a pittance in Dyn Contraction disbursal auction, and can put him on Practice Squad for next 2 yrs before assigning a Contract. May hold, may flip...

Would like to hear more thoughts about Mason Rudolph, now that we're poat-2019 NFL Draft.

Just acquired for a pittance in Dyn Contraction disbursal auction, and can put him on Practice Squad for next 2 yrs before assigning a Contract. May hold, may flip...
With Ben extended, Rudolph holds very little value. Right now he's not even the top backup in Pittsburgh, and it's likely that they draft another QB before Ben retires. As a Steelers fan, I don't see him having any value in the future except if Ben gets hurt and he gets spot starts. 

With Ben extended, Rudolph holds very little value. Right now he's not even the top backup in Pittsburgh, and it's likely that they draft another QB before Ben retires. As a Steelers fan, I don't see him having any value in the future except if Ben gets hurt and he gets spot starts. 
I mostly agree though I am not a big fan of Dobbs and believe there is a chance he jumps to the #2 QB.    

Maybe, maybe.

I love Dobbs' moxie. I would have him as my reliever over many NFL backups. The guy does not think he can lose and gives it everything he's got and....he's so much better than the common retreads just on mindset/attitude.

I think Rudolph is a gem. A no doubt, future starter.

Rudolph and Washington have an excellent rapport and now Washington has his chance to shine. Ben didn't much care for Washington last year and then late he seemed to grow on him. I don't know about all that. I guess Ben doesn't have a choice in the matter anymore and Washington is in a key role. Assuming he's the key dumpoff guy while JuJu is outside, Rudolph will probably play better this summer than Dobbs. I mean it's nice for a young guy to be familiar with the dump off guy.

I think the Steelers are going to be in for a rough year without Munch, AB, and Leveon. Let's see how Ben handles getting hit often.

If I'm wrong and Dobbs proves he's starter worthy, (when with Ben extended?) that's a great prob for the Steelers.

At Murray's pro day, people were talking Baker and Rudolph. The love for him isn't gone. They can move Rudolph if they want to. There are teams like my Titans that are unsure of their starter. There are needs to be met out there. They can find a suitor. 

Jaylen Samuels is a former QB, as you know. Their rookie TE was an excellent recruit at QB, 4 or 5 star. There's another I can't think of. I wouldn't be surprised if they've got some scheming trickery up their sleeves.

As far as backing up Ben, each are useless unless Ben gets hurt. Rudolph was probably in the better position than Dobbs last year. (I'm not sure, I don't follow them that close) Assuming he was the third in practices, he ran the scout team and got work in while Dobbs probably got a lot less work. 

On the field Dobbs threw like a dozen passes. He didn't play much.

The advantage of being 2nd string over 3rd string isn't as most people think unless the starter is hurt. 

I don't think much changed here. Maybe dynasty people are grumpy here, but there's no way you drafted Rudolph thinking he'd start right away. It's just grumpiness because he's probably sitting again.

Interesting take.    I am not sure why you think Ben is going to get hit more because the o-line coach and AB are gone.  Bell hasn't played with the team since the 2017 season so he is a non-factor in comparison to last year.  I actually think Ben was forcing the ball to AB a little too much and I am hoping the offense will be a bit more balanced.   Maybe wishful thinking on my part?

As far as Dobbs goes, going into training camp last year I didn't think he would survived but he performed well enough for the Steelers to cut Landry Jones.   Dobbs didn't get much playing time once the season started but really crapped the bed when Ben went down in the Raiders game.   An incredibly small sample to base anything on but it wasn't good.  Still, the Steelers seem happy with him so maybe you're right.  I just view him more of a running QB than passer and so I prefer Rudolph.

In any case I agree that unless Ben suffers a serious injury neither Dobbs nor Rudolph have much value.

I think that Rudolph definitely has more upside than Dobbs, and I'd have him as the #2, but the Steelers didn't last year, we'll see if that changes. 

I think Rudolph could be a starter in the NFL, but I'm not sure that he'll have a shot. If Ben lasts, then Rudolph could go to a new team for his 2nd contract and I'm not sure they'd give him a shot to start. I think Rudolph's best hope is if Ben gets hurt early in a season and he gets to start for 10+ games. He'll need some time to break it in, and I'm not sure he'll get enough opportunities to start. 

Interesting take.    I am not sure why you think Ben is going to get hit more because the o-line coach and AB are gone.  Bell hasn't played with the team since the 2017 season so he is a non-factor in comparison to last year.  I actually think Ben was forcing the ball to AB a little too much and I am hoping the offense will be a bit more balanced.   Maybe wishful thinking on my part?

As far as Dobbs goes, going into training camp last year I didn't think he would survived but he performed well enough for the Steelers to cut Landry Jones.   Dobbs didn't get much playing time once the season started but really crapped the bed when Ben went down in the Raiders game.   An incredibly small sample to base anything on but it wasn't good.  Still, the Steelers seem happy with him so maybe you're right.  I just view him more of a running QB than passer and so I prefer Rudolph.

In any case I agree that unless Ben suffers a serious injury neither Dobbs nor Rudolph have much value.
Munchak is awesome. He was a great player on the OL and he can teach the OL like no other. His ability to coach anyone and make them a player is invaluable in this free agency era. His GMs do not have to give him 1st round talents and big time free agents- just the traits he looks for and some time.  Give him enough time and he'll keep making them better and they'll become pro bowlers. When the Titans fired him as a coach, the Steelers beat out several teams for his services and it was so fast like OMG he's available. Their line has been rock solid ever since and when someone gets hurt, even the backups do well. All the backs did well, every single one- because his guys gave them holes to run through. 

None of this is normal.

Now you've got Sarrett as OL coach. A college OL coach  for a bit, that was an assistant for a year or two under Munch. That's such a stark contrast from a HOF player that turned into one of the best coaches in the game.

Now you're gonna have missed blocks where the QB gets hit. An injury actually impacts the team and you fear the backup holding up. Backup running backs go back to looking pedestrian. It's all awww crud, we're like a normal team again. 

When the Titans lost Munch, 56 sacks. When the Steelers lost Grimm, 47 sacks. When the Titans lost Grimm, 48 sacks. (Curiously each line had 3 probowlers as do the current Steelers) It's just such a stark contrast going from a HOF coach to a regular one that it's throw stuff at the TV type frustration. Ben can take it, he's tough. It's just a big giant ugh sigh. Ben was sacked 24 times last year and these stats make it a real strong bet that he is sacked twice that number. 

As far as Landry, he was just a bad pick and one I'd make if I were a GM too. He was very well coached in college. He did very well in college. He could make all the throws and understood the game at a high level. He just never panned out.  Of course Gruden's ego picked him up to fix him, but ...I just say so what, win some lose some. I'd make that pick again. 

I am not trying downplay Munchak's contributions, he was a great player and awesome coach.  I wish Munchak was still with the team but the bottom line he wasn't out there on the field.

The Steelers lineman are for the most part veterans that have already been coached by Munchak, they aren't suddenly going to forget blocking techniques and assignments.   The jury is out on Sarrett but my guess is that he'll continue to the groundwork that was already laid out by Munchak.   

Time will tell...

I am not trying downplay Munchak's contributions, he was a great player and awesome coach.  I wish Munchak was still with the team but the bottom line he wasn't out there on the field.

The Steelers lineman are for the most part veterans that have already been coached by Munchak, they aren't suddenly going to forget blocking techniques and assignments.   The jury is out on Sarrett but my guess is that he'll continue to the groundwork that was already laid out by Munchak.   

Time will tell...
:goodposting:

Steelers sophomore QB Mason Rudolph worked with quarterback coaches Tom House and Adam Dedeaux in the offseason.

House and Dedeaux run 3DQB in California and have long been known as the go-to quarterback whisperers, having worked with the likes of Tom Brady, Matt Ryan, Drew Brees, Andrew Luck, among many others. The two specialize in mechanics, balance, and posture. Rudolph has seen the results this offseason. "I’m throwing it better than I ever have," he said. "And I want to keep at it." Rudolph is expected to overtake Josh Dobbs for No. 2 duties.

SOURCE: The Athletic

May 31, 2019, 12:52 PM ET

How is the backup QB battle going in Pitt?
Pre-season game 1 was pretty even, but the important thing was Rudolph seemed to have a better grasp of the offense than last year. Chapter 2 tonight will probably add clarity. 

• Smile
Reactions: Bri
Mason Rudolph has won the Steelers' backup quarterback job.

Rudolph was a standout this summer, throwing for 368 yards, four touchdowns and one interception on 28-of-43 passing (65.1 percent) during the Steelers' preseason slate. Pittsburgh could send 2017 fourth-rounder Josh Dobbs packing now that Rudolph has asserted himself as the clear No. 2 behind long-time starter Ben Roethlisberger.

RELATED: 

Josh Dobbs

SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter

Aug 30, 2019, 6:06 PM ET

Mason Rudolph completed 12-of-19 passes for 112 yards, two touchdowns, and one interception in the Steelers' Week 2 loss to the Seahawks.

Rudolph took over after halftime after Ben Roethlisberger injured his right throwing elbow. Rudolph was making his NFL debut. The interception was 100% not Rudolph's fault, as Donte Moncrief committed yet another drop and had the ball go off his hands and into the air for the pick. Rudolphs looked pretty good after he shook off the nerves, throwing a pair of short touchdowns to Vance McDonald inside the 10-yard line. If Big Ben sits next week at the Niners, Rudolph will be a bottom-barrel quarterback play on the road.

Sep 15, 2019, 6:09 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread