What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Mason Rudolph, PIT (1 Viewer)

Isn't their secondary all first and second round guys? I could swear I read Lynch building them that way. 
Richard Sherman and two third-rounders (Witherspoon and Moore) and Tartt is a second-rounder from 2015.

I don't know whether that detracts or adds to your point, though. You're reasonably close. I'm not sure how long Lynch has been there. 

• Smile
Reactions: Bri
Take a look at the chart showing the placement of Rudolph's completions.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mason Rudolph chart only 2 completions over 3 yards

Majority completions didn't go past the LOS.  (Only 4)  

Need to see if the coaches take the training wheels off or if this was Rudy checking down.  

• Smile
Reactions: Bri
Take a look at the chart showing the placement of Rudolph's completions.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mason Rudolph chart only 2 completions over 3 yards

Need to see if the coaches take the training wheels off or if this was Rudy checking down.  
The Steelers / Rudolph must open the passing game up more if they want to be able to run the ball effectively.

Brooke Pryor @bepryor

Advanced Mason Rudolph stats via ESPN Stats and Info show the QB didn't stretch the field in the first half.

- completions averaged 1.2 air yds

- deepest completion was 9 air yds

- lone incompletion was his only attempt of 10+ air yds

- 111 of 132 pass yards came after the catch

Mason Rudolph completed 24-of-28 passes for 229 yards and two touchdowns in the Week 4 win over the Bengals Monday night.

Rudolph took literally two shots downfield, hitting a wide-open Diontae Johnson for a 43-yard touchdown after an earlier incompletion to Johnny Holton. The rest of the night, Rudolph was just dumping it off to James Conner and Jaylen Samuels, targeting the duo 16 times, completing all of them for 140 yards and one score. It'll be interesting to see if the Steelers can keep doing it this way next week against the Ravens. Rudolph is a poor QB2 bet right now.

Sep 30, 2019, 11:29 PM ET

Rudolph took literally two shots downfield, hitting a wide-open Diontae Johnson ...

... Rudolph was just dumping it off to James Conner and Jaylen Samuels, targeting the duo 16 times
Now we have two data points that are forming a trend.  It is part Rudy and a lot of Randy Fichtner who doesn't want to put him in position to make complex decisions/mistakes.  

If this is what the rest of the season is going to be then the coaches are basically saying that Rudolph 'probably' isn't the heir apparent in Pittsburgh.

Dang. Just cut Washington this Sunday for Agholor. Yes, I'm the one percent that started him. 

Still regretting cutting Washington over another player. Rudolph and him was a preseason and collegiate thing, right? 

As for the QB, I don't know enough to comment. Good luck. 
It's insider information, but I can share a secret with you, right?  He and Washington played in college together just like Haskins and McLaurin (who were also roommates!) did.  Don't trade on my info, and if you do don't tell the SEC.

Mason Rudolph was assisted off the field in Week 5 against the Ravens.

Rudolph was knocked out cold following a hit from S Earl Thomas then unfortunately cracked his head against the ground a second time when he went down. It was an extremely scary situation that resulted in Rudolph's face mask getting removed before being helped back to the locker room. Devlin Hodges took over at quarterback.

Oct 6, 2019, 3:04 PM ET

Mason Rudolph (concussion) returned to practice Wednesday.

He's still in the league's protocol but it's a good sign that Rudolph was able to don helmet and pads for Wednesday's practice. We still expect UDFA Devlin Hodges to start Sunday night following Rudolph's nasty fall against the Ravens in Week 5. With Jaylen Samuels (knee) shelved for the next month, James Conner is the only skill player that can truly be trusted for fantasy purposes against the Chargers given the ambiguity of Hodges' presence under center.

SOURCE: Ray Fittipaldo on Twitter

Oct 9, 2019, 2:33 PM ET

There is zero reason to put this guy on the field next week. This is a bottom dweller team, why risk it. 
Brooke Pryor‏Verified account @bepryor

Mason Rudolph practiced today in a helmet and pads. QB Devlin Hodges said it was good to see him out there moving around.

11:33 AM - 9 Oct 2019

------------------------------------

Footballguys view: Earlier reports had speculated that Rudolph may not miss any time due to this concussion. We'll see if that's the case as the week of practice goes on. The Steelers travel to face the Chargers on Sunday night. Devlin Hodges would start if Rudolph has to miss more time.

-----------------------------------

I agree with Irish that their is no reason to put him back in harms way until it is safe.  I mean come on its irresponsible IMHO.

Mason Rudolph (concussion) won't suit up for the Steelers' Sunday night matchup against the Chargers.

Devlin Hodges will make his first NFL start in place of Rudolph, who suffered a terrifying concussion in Week 5. The Steelers are implied to score a slate-low 17.3 points at the moment, rendering most of their skill-position players as non-viable fantasy options with the exception of James Conner, who should get all the work he can handle with Jaylen Samuels (knee) sidelined.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter.

Oct 11, 2019, 4:03 PM ET

According to ESPN's Jeremy Fowler, Mason Rudolph (concussion) is "eyeing" a Week 8 return.

Rudolph sat out Sunday's game in Los Angeles after suffering a brutal concussion in Week 6. Miraculously, Rudolph has already resumed practice and hopes to clear the league's protocol ahead of Pittsburgh's Week 8 matchup with Miami. Devlin "Duck" Hodges led the Steelers to victory Sunday night, but he only threw for 132 yards on 15-of-20 passing. Pittsburgh has a Week 7 bye.

SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter

Oct 14, 2019, 12:09 PM ET

Mason Rudolph (concussion) cleared the league's protocol.

He'll now have a full two weeks to prep before taking on the Dolphins in Week 8. The Steelers escaped with a win Sunday night but their offense lacked explosiveness yet again, compiling just two plays that gained 20-plus yards. Rudolph's return is still a plus for JuJu Smith-Schuster, who currently ranks as fantasy's WR30 with 25/340/2 through six games.

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter

Oct 16, 2019, 5:16 PM ET

Anybody rolling with him? I’m already in the hole from Thursday and evidently the buffalo game will be a monsoon. I’m thinking of throwing this kid in there against Miami over Allen... I have Rudolph and Juju and I also have Allen and brown LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Kwai Chang Caine said:
Anybody rolling with him? I’m already in the hole from Thursday and evidently the buffalo game will be a monsoon. I’m thinking of throwing this kid in there against Miami over Allen... I have Rudolph and Juju and I also have Allen and brown LOL
I am but am in the opposite position.

To risk repeating myself from the Ryan thread, my opponent started Cousins, resulting in barely cracking a double-digit score at the position in my system.

I have Ryan, but even if he plays, I fear re-injury and another near-goose egg. I think I can afford a low floor that Rudolph might have.

I agree with you and @Chaka that the risk here is that the Steelers get up and just run the ball. But given the state of MIA D, and how PIT's offenses utilize both their talented receivers and their backs in the passing games, I think Rudolph makes for a very solid and safe floor with a chance for a huge long gain out of a pass to either WRs or RBs. 

The other way I am leaning might be with Carr. O-line is completely healthy, and Ty Williams may be back, and Jacobs might be ailing.

Mason Rudolph completed 20-of-36 passes for 251 yards, two touchdowns, and one interception in the Steelers' 27-14, Week 8 win over the Dolphins.

Rudolph's 7.0 yards per attempt were right in line with his 6.9 average coming into this one, but the Steelers dialed up far more downfield passing plays in this one than they had in Rudolph's previous starts. It's what he did in college, but we'll chalk this game plan up to the Steelers playing the burnable Dolphins for now. Rudolph had a horrendous first quarter, throwing a wobbling pick into tight coverage on his very first pass attempt. The offense was later booed off the field a number of times as Pittsburgh fell into a 14-0 hole. Rudolph held onto the ball way too long, but he was able to overcome it against a terrible defense with touchdown strikes to Diontae Johnson and JuJu Smith-Schuster. Rudolph won't be a recommended fantasy play next week against the Colts.

Oct 29, 2019, 12:00 AM ET

He definitely had a rough start but he played better in the second half.   I don't know if he ever becomes a decent QB or not but he is young and inexperienced.  You're going to get a lot of uneven performances for a while.

He definitely had a rough start but he played better in the second half.   I don't know if he ever becomes a decent QB or not but he is young and inexperienced.  You're going to get a lot of uneven performances for a while.
He posted a decent stat line against a team that is intentionally trying to lose. Next.

Good round of practice last night for Pittsburgh.

He posted a decent stat line against a team that is intentionally trying to lose.
And they lost their shut down CB to injury during the game.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike Clay‏Verified account @MikeClayNFL

Quarterbacks have exceeded their season fantasy point average in 100% of games against the Dolphins this season.

Sam Darnold gets the matchup boost in Week 9.

7:52 AM - 29 Oct 2019

Mason Rudolph completed 26-of-35 passes for 191 yards, one touchdown and an interception in the Steelers' 26-24, Week 9 win over the Colts.

Rudolph lofted a gorgeous deep ball to JuJu Smith-Schuster on the game’s first drive that was batted down thanks to great coverage. The possession ended via an interception that bounced directly off JuJu’s hands. Rudolph was largely content to check down to Jaylen Samuels (13 receptions) for the rest of the afternoon, save for a deep 40-yard connection to former-collegiate BFF James Washington. Rudolph got the win, but the game was another reminder that it’s going to be tough to expect one, let alone two, consistent fantasy-viable WRs in this offense. Rudolph is the thinnest of fantasy plays next week against the Rams. He hasn’t thrown for more than 251 yards in any of his six extended appearances this season.

Nov 3, 2019, 4:54 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread