What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

UDFA Signings (1 Viewer)

Surprised Josh Adams went undrafted.
This is the one I am most interested in. But between Ajayi, Clement, Sproles, and Pumphrey (and the ghost of Smallwood), he’s going to have a ##### of a time making anything of himself there. Still has taken though so it may amount to something

Per 247sports.com....

Here's a rundown of who has signed on with the Patriots so far through this undrafted free agency process (this post will be updated as the signing flow in): 

Frank Herron, Defensive tackle, LSU (via Ross Dellenger of The Advocate)

JC Jackson, Cornerback, Maryland (via DraftAnalyst.com)

Chris Lacy, Wide receiver, Oklahoma State 

Ralph Webb, Running back, Vanderbilt 

Shane Wimann, Tight end, Northern Illinois 

John Atkins, Defensive tackle, Georgia 

Corey Bojorquez, punter, University of New Mexico 

I’m stunned that Adams and Lazard didn’t get drafted. When you look at some of the picks in the last two rounds....I just don’t get it.

There’s derogatory information out there that we don’t know.  It’s not like a team reaching - that takes only one team seeing something no one else does.  This is every team rejecting using even a mid to late 7th rounder on them.  And as we all know, that doesn’t preclude them all being wrong.  We’ve all seen plenty of UDFAs succeed.  Probably better that those kinds of guys get to pick their situation as an UDFA rather than be drafted as a wth late 7th flyer by some team. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m stunned that Adams and Lazard didn’t get drafted. When you look at some of the picks in the last two rounds....I just don’t get it.
The last few years, the top UDFAs have made more than 7th rounders and more than some 6th rounders. When their contract is up, they aren't tied to RFA rules in the same way either but...I don't wholly understand this process. A few years ago, agents started putting the word out asking teams NOT to draft their player. This is illegal, so it doesn't happen, but it does happen. The other wrinkle is a person picking their destination versus being assigned one by the draft. 

See the Saints- Deon Yelder's 90k signing bonus puts him roughly 75k more than their 7th rounder and 50k more than their 6ths.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/cap/

Tarvarus McFadden and the Niners ...roughly the same scenario

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/cap/

The last few years, the top UDFAs have made more than 7th rounders and more than some 6th rounders. When their contract is up, they aren't tied to RFA rules in the same way either but...I don't wholly understand this process. A few years ago, agents started putting the word out asking teams NOT to draft their player. This is illegal, so it doesn't happen, but it does happen. The other wrinkle is a person picking their destination versus being assigned one by the draft. 

See the Saints- Deon Yelder's 90k signing bonus puts him roughly 75k more than their 7th rounder and 50k more than their 6ths.

This was what La’el Collins of Dallas did and it was no secret. When a domestic violence accusation came out just before the draft, he immediately fell out of the 1st and I think when he wasn’t picked by day 2, it was made known that if you picked him day 3, he would not report. Ended up udfa and picked his home with a big bonus (albeit nothing like being a top pick that he was projected to be)

This was what La’el Collins of Dallas did and it was no secret. When a domestic violence accusation came out just before the draft, he immediately fell out of the 1st and I think when he wasn’t picked by day 2, it was made known that if you picked him day 3, he would not report. Ended up udfa and picked his home with a big bonus (albeit nothing like being a top pick that he was projected to be)
That was garbage and I'll never forget it. "Domestic violence" is true, sure, but it doesn't fit for me here. That denotes wife beating or girlfriend or somesuch of a current relationship.

His ex-girlfriend was shot and killed and the police wanted to talk to him.

OMG Was it him?

He was not a suspect. Police just want to chat with him.

Oh so the violence came from someone else? Was it a husband or boyfriend? Why the domestic violence term? News stunk and was all about La'el. The woman could have been shot by Santa Claus and I wouldn't see it in a story.

So why doesn't he clear his name before the draft?

The police will not meet with him til after the draft.

WHAT? 

Ray Rice was stirring the pot and the NFL was hypersensitive to the issue. Any other time "not a suspect" would have held a good amount of weight. 

Also in here is this notion that NFL execs are perfect at drafting and every pick makes the team. If one admitted they goof sometimes, he'd have been picked in the third round.

Horrific for the woman and the baby, sorry for their loss. Maybe it's worse that I don't know either's name or the murderer and the draft of a football player took some sort of news priority over their lives.

I will forever wonder if someone paid the police to interview him late- a hated rival player? Jerry Jones? It makes a nice conspiracy story

Yes they are.  All drafted players get 4 year deals though so very few ever see RFA.  They have to have been cut by their drafted team then signed to a short contract after that or have something wacky like suspension that tolls the contract.  An undrafted player may sign a shorter contract if they choose.

1 or 2 Accrued Seasons - Exclusive Rights Free Agent
3 Accrued Seasons - RFA
4 or more Accrued Seasons - UFA

An Accrued Season is any season in which the player spends a minimum of 6 games on Full Pay Status.  Active, IR, PUP are all Full Pay, and NFI can be as well. 

It's also not illegal for agents to ask clubs not to draft their guy.  It would be illegal if the club agreed to upon the contingency that the player sign with them and/or negotiated contract terms with the player prior to being selected.  The only case I'm aware of was La'El Collins who fell in the draft after being considered a 1st round talent (had a bogus murder investigation tie-in drag him down) so he told teams if they drafted him, he wouldn't play and would go back into the draft the following year.  He wanted to be undrafted so he'd get that three year contract that they can sign and thus have a shot at making a big 2nd contract a year early and recouping some of that lost money.  It mostly worked, since he got a 2 year $15M extension added on, so a drafted player would need a 1 year deal worth about $12M after the initial rookie contract in order to keep pace.

It's also not illegal for agents to ask clubs not to draft their guy.  It would be illegal if the club agreed to upon the contingency that the player sign with them 

that's just nitpicking, cmon. No agent is calling saying "don't draft my player" without a GM asking "why? what's up?" and/or "what's in it for me" or somesuch followup. That's just normal conversation to say one thing and then expect a response. You knew what I meant.

Per 247sports.com....

Here's a rundown of who has signed on with the Patriots so far through this undrafted free agency process (this post will be updated as the signing flow in): 

Frank Herron, Defensive tackle, LSU (via Ross Dellenger of The Advocate)

JC Jackson, Cornerback, Maryland (via DraftAnalyst.com)

Chris Lacy, Wide receiver, Oklahoma State 

Ralph Webb, Running back, Vanderbilt 

Shane Wimann, Tight end, Northern Illinois 

John Atkins, Defensive tackle, Georgia 

Corey Bojorquez, punter, University of New Mexico 
Ralph Webb Scouting Profile seems like he put up decent numbers at his Pro Day. 

Highlights 1 Highlights 2

I couldn’t find any 2017 cut ups but from the couple of 2016 games I watched; Smaller back but has some power. A bit of a shifty running style. He has a few issues with his game as you would expect from an undrafted guy but he’s better than I was expecting. At his Pro Day he ran a 4.49. However, this speed does not show up in the games that I watched. The Pats clearly wanted to address their RB spot this offseason but for the cost I’d say they keep this guy.

Jarvion Franklin DraftScout.com

He's likely fullback in the NFL. Can catch but it’s tall enough to be a TE. I did see a couple fumbles against Wisconsin too. With James Connor on the team I’m not sure where this guy fits in maybe a ST guy that can play as a versatile FB too? If there’s something that comes out about the team wanting him to lose a bunch of weight then maybe a deeper dive is required.

Phillip Lindsay Draft Scout Denver signed him.

Highlights 1 

Decent little back but he is small. He can “run hard” because he is agile enough to get defenders off balance then has enough burst to create the speed to generate force going into s defender. I don’t think it’s enough to push back an NFL LB or SS if he hits them square but it might be enough to get through some arm tackles at the next level. He’s too old (24) and too small (5’8” 190) to ever be a feature back but he could be a solid receiving back. He did do KR his freshman season which might help him stick through TC. I don’t know Denver’s returner situation though.

In PPR leagues he is worth keeping an eye on.

Shaun Wilson - TB - Draft Scout

Small and didn’t have much rush attempts or yards. I think he’s being brought in to be a KR. I will dive deeper if someone else really likes him and asks me too. Otherwise I’m not sure there much here for FF reasons.

Adams was on my radar before the draft and I was surprised he wasn't drafted as well.

He was singed by the Eagles so he is kind of buried there, but a great offensive line and supporting cast should he be able to make the team and move up their depth chart.

Martez Carter - Wash - DraftScout

Highlights (2016)

Good burst and balance. Sets up and runs behind blocks decently. Long speed is lacking and doesn’t seem to have a good grasp of pursuit/tackle angles. 5’7” and 207 but looks like he has a bit of extra weight around his mid section. Showed some ability to catch. With Guice there, I’d keep this kid over either Kelly or Perine. Cheaper and there may be something here. 

what about this guy;

Former #Florida RB Mark Thompson is signing with the #Ravens as a UDFA, source said. Lot of talent but will have to prove it in Baltimore.

Mark Thompson signs with Ravens    Thu May 3, 08:59 AM

Undrafted free-agent RB Mark Thompson (Florida) signed a three-year deal with the Baltimore Ravens Thursday, May 3. Financial terms weren't disclosed.

3 year deal? that kind of jumps out at me

Users who are viewing this thread