What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dante Pettis WR Giants (2 Viewers)

Did anyone watch the game long enough to see the drop? If so, how bad was it? I read Deebo also had a drop, so at least he's on par with his competition.  :bag:

Did anyone watch the game long enough to see the drop? If so, how bad was it? 
It was pretty late in the game and the outcome was well decided, but it was a bad drop on an accurate crossing route pass in the red zone (IIRC) in which he almost certainly would have scored.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did anyone watch the game long enough to see the drop? If so, how bad was it? I read Deebo also had a drop, so at least he's on par with his competition.  :bag:
Bad enough that he grabbed his helmet with both hands. As bad as you’ll see. Eric Ebron bad. 

That said, I’m somewhat stubbornly standing by Pettis. His route running is evident, and he was on the field a ton. They didn’t need to throw in this game, and he still should’ve scored. 

I would be buying if I didn’t already own him in all my dynasty leagues. 

Bad enough that he grabbed his helmet with both hands. As bad as you’ll see. Eric Ebron bad. 

That said, I’m somewhat stubbornly standing by Pettis. His route running is evident, and he was on the field a ton. They didn’t need to throw in this game, and he still should’ve scored. 

"Eric Ebron bad"  :lmao:

That's a great descriptor.

Anyway, I'm with you. I'm trying to buy. There's a reason a lot of scouts don't like to get hung up on drops unless they are prolific (see Sammie Coates). Drops are often unpredictable and sporadic, so unless we're dealing with a Ginn or Coates, I think drops will be overstated more often than not. Don't get me wrong, I still like to see my wide receiver's competition dropping passes and I've been incorrectly scared off by guys with drops (Will Fuller). But if I'm taking the advice of others, I'm paying much more attention to route running, separation, ball tracking, YAC, and technique than stats like drops, 40 time, and touchdowns. 

Per Pro Football Reference, Pettis led all 49ers WRs in snaps with 48 (63%).  Goodwin second with 46 (61%). Deebo third with 35 (46%).

It was a bad game for him and all SF WRs.  He also drew a holding penalty.  We're in week 6 and I'm going to drop him for Sanu or Preston Williams.  From watching last night's game the target order is:

Kittle

Any SF WR/RB

His skill set is something the other 49ers WRs just don't have. He needed a full game of snaps and though he didn't have a good game at least he's finally back in the WR rotation. Plus the Kyle Juszczyk injury is huge; won't be able to run the O the same way...

JFS171 said:

Yeah it was a bad drop. Jimmy G was not happy after either. 

Dante Pettis caught 3-of-6 targets for 45 yards in the 49ers' Week 6 win over the Rams.

Pettis' six targets were second on the team behind George Kittle's eight, and Pettis was pretty close to scoring a touchdown but only got one foot down in bounds. Pettis has been playing better on more snaps of late but remains a WR4 in this run-heavy offense.
It's slow but it's coming. I believe he played the most snaps of the WR group again.

ESPN Fantasy Intel on All 32 Teams

San Francisco 49ers

Dante Pettis led 49ers wide receivers in snaps (54 of 75, 72%) and targets (six) in Week 6. Pettis also paced the unit in snaps in Week 5, so it's fair to say he's returned to the top of the depth chart. Despite the promotion, Pettis has recorded a total of 56 yards on four catches over the past two games. The 49ers' run-heavy offense simply hasn't allowed for much volume from its wide receivers, which has left all of them well off the fantasy radar. In fact, no 49ers wideouts current reside in the top 65 at the position this season. Youngsters Pettis and rookie Deebo Samuel are fine bench options, but neither can be started with confidence right now.
He's finally out of the doghouse and back to being the lead receiver; now you wait for the game where the blowup could happen:

Regular Season Schedule

Week 7 --- Oct 20, @Was Sun 1:00 pm

Week 8 --- Oct 27, Car Sun 4:05 pm

Week 9 --- Oct 31, @Ari Thu 8:20 pm

Week 10 --- Nov 11, Sea Mon 8:15 pm

Week 11 --- Nov 17, Ari Sun 4:05 pm

Week 12 --- Nov 24, GB Sun 4:25 pm

Week 13 --- Dec 1, @Bal Sun 1:00 pm

(Bold are Home games, Italicized Road games)

SF receivers have the 3rd best SOS the rest of the way according to FFToolBox, so that's something to know.

Just snagged Pettis off waivers, so much off-season hype that fizzled away after the first few weeks.  Haven't followed any news lately. 

Niners seem like they're for real and Shannahan has a great offensive mind, snap counts add up, lets go.... choochoo?

Starting Dante Pettis in my first Flex spot. Samuel trending towards being out should push his snap count up a tick, and I doubt Norman shadows him.

*sigh* Back on the roller coaster again...

Don't see what any of the hype is about. The only website I see even remotely suggesting this guy is FBG. 

Don't see what any of the hype is about. The only website I see even remotely suggesting this guy is FBG. 
He was supposed to make a big leap this year.  But, yeah, he sort of fizzled away in the first several weeks.  Now that we see that the 49ers are legit, and with Deebo possibly out-  the matchup with Washington is very favorable.  I'm probably going to pick him up and see what happens.  I think I am going to drop Golden Tate(my WR3) and pick him up and see what happens.  I'd rather have a possible 1st option on a better team than a 3rd option on a bad team.  Anyone else doing something similar?

IMO, he could end up an asset in deeper dynasty leagues who hold for a potential breakout. Being the WR1 in SF,   whose defense is keeping their offense on the field... he is a great buy low if searching for a WR and not wanting to pay top price. Garoppolo has shown signs of being a good QB, we will just have to see.

do to byes & injuries I am starting Pettis this week and I am "OK" about it ....  I will be happy with 5-7 pts.  (TD would be so nice :)  ) 

Starting Dante Pettis in my first Flex spot. Samuel trending towards being out should push his snap count up a tick, and I doubt Norman shadows him.

*sigh* Back on the roller coaster again...
:suds:

You're not alone. Injuries have forced my hand... but I'm optimistic. His snaps have been trending up (including leading the team last week), this week's defensive matchup is great, and like you said, Deebo is probably out. I've even pondered starting him over McLaurin in another league, but haven't been able to pull that trigger.

He was supposed to make a big leap this year.  But, yeah, he sort of fizzled away in the first several weeks.  Now that we see that the 49ers are legit, and with Deebo possibly out-  the matchup with Washington is very favorable.  I'm probably going to pick him up and see what happens.  I think I am going to drop Golden Tate(my WR3) and pick him up and see what happens.  I'd rather have a possible 1st option on a better team than a 3rd option on a bad team.  Anyone else doing something similar?
Flipping back and forth between Pettis and Tate myself.  Pretty low O/U on the SF/WAS game.

Flipping back and forth between Pettis and Tate myself.  Pretty low O/U on the SF/WAS game.
It’s between Pettis and Sanu for me. Ramsey shadowing Julio has me leaning Pettis. 

i meant say leaning sanu

To some extent the rain has killed all passing in this game since no QB is looking good. Pettis' only target I saw so far was a underthrow on 4th down that was intercepted.

Dante Pettis was held without a catch in Week 7 against the Redskins.

It's another step back from Pettis, who had a season-high 45 yards last week. Pettis was expected to have an expanded role with Deebo Samuel out, but he ended up getting just one target. Field conditions and gamescript played a role in that, but Pettis continues to disappoint in his second season.

I saw the rain and heard reports and actually went with Jakobi Meyers over this guy and Preston Williams with Buffalo's blanket-like secondary. My decision was good as far as this guy went; as far as Preston goes, jury's really still out on that. 

Dante Pettis was held without a catch in Week 7 against the Redskins.

It's another step back from Pettis, who had a season-high 45 yards last week. Pettis was expected to have an expanded role with Deebo Samuel out, but he ended up getting just one target. Field conditions and gamescript played a role in that, but Pettis continues to disappoint in his second season.
Wouldn't make any judgment based on yesterday playing in that swamp.

If you were up/down on Pettis prior to week 7... should be the same going into week 8. Week 7 never happened.

*sees 49ers acquired WR Emmanuel Sanders from the Broncos in exchange for third- and fourth-round draft picks*

You hear that crater fall sound? That's Dante Pettis' redraft value now. With Sanders, Goodwin, and Samuel there I think it's time to finally drop him for the year. It's just too much competition for a QB who throws maybe 30 passes a game and mostly to his TE and RBs.

This week, I plan on dropping him in the last of 3 dynasty leagues where I owned him over the past season. Buh bye

but all those tweets someone posted above...he's on the brink of breaking out!!!
Yeah... until the situation changed and they brought in a vet WR who's better. See, situations evolve and change in life; nothing ever stays the same for long. Dante had the signs you want for a breakout but with the signing he's not worth the wait in redraft unless he gets consistent slot snaps and the offense becomes more pass heavy. Dynasty he's probably still a hold but I know I can chase other WRs in redraft.

Huh? You're talking like he's the second coming of AJ Jenkins...
Kittle, Sanders, and Deebo will be splitting the majority of targets going forward IMO.

Right now, leading targets are Kittle (42), Deebo (22), Pettis (17), Goodwin (16), Bourne (15), Breida (13), Coleman (8).

Of the receivers, Pettis has the lowest catch rate at 53%. Then Bourne 60%, Deebo 68%, Goodwin 69%, and Kittle 81%. For RBs, Breida has caught 11 of 13 targets, and Coleman 6 of 8.

Yeah... until the situation changed and they brought in a vet WR who's better. See, situations evolve and change in life; nothing ever stays the same for long. Dante had the signs you want for a breakout but with the signing he's not worth the wait in redraft unless he gets consistent slot snaps and the offense becomes more pass heavy. Dynasty he's probably still a hold but I know I can chase other WRs in redraft.
:whoosh:

Dante Pettis scored a 21-yard touchdown in the 49ers' Week 9 win over the Cardinals.

Pettis' third quarter score was his lone target. He broke free from a confused Patrick Peterson and found himself all alone in the back right corner of the end zone. It was a badly needed positive play from a struggling sophomore, but there were no other reasons for positivity on a night where Emmanuel Sanders and Deebo Samuel were far more involved.

Nov 1, 2019, 12:35 AM ET

Dante Pettis was held without a catch on three targets in the 49ers' Week 10 loss to the Seahawks.

Pettis has 0-1 catches in all but two games this season. The popular breakout candidate from the summer has been anything but that. He's waiver wire fodder in redraft leagues.

Nov 12, 2019, 12:53 AM ET

Speaking Tuesday, 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said Dante Pettis will continue to see fewer opportunities.

"The more he doesn't take advantage of his opportunities, the less opportunities he gets," was Shanahan's blunt assessment after another Pettis dud against the Seahawks on Monday Night Football. Even with Emmanuel Sanders lost early to a ribs injury, Pettis was held without a catch on a modest three targets. This was as Kendrick Bourne looked like a minor leaguer but continued to be fed looks. A bitter 2019 fantasy disappointment, the time to drop Petts was two weeks ago.

SOURCE: Nick Wagoner on Twitter

Nov 12, 2019, 5:31 PM ET

My biggest miss of 2019 with the possible exception of DJ. I burned a ton of draft capital on this guy in multiple leagues thinking he was going to be this year's Tyler Boyd, and he returned less than zero value. I want to draw some overarching lesson from this whiff, but whatever it is, I definitely don't think it's "listen to camp coachspeak". Probably "pay attention to draft capital" - we made a big deal out of the 9ers not pursuing WRs in FA, but smart teams tend not to splash out in FA. When Shanny spent a 2nd and a 3rd on competition at the position, that should probably have been enough of a red flag to steer clear at Pettis' ADP.

You know the funny thing? When I wrote that first paragraph, I would've bet $100 that Boyd had his late-season rookie pop in 2017 and that's the wave he rode into 2018. But actually, his rookie season was 2016. And coming off that, his 2017 was ... a colossal disappointment. He didn't have more than 2 catches in a game until week 16 and put up a 22/225/2 stat line in 10 games before that 1,000-yard season came out of nowhere in 2018.

I guess what I'm saying here is - maybe don't drop this kid in dynasty quite yet. In fact if I could get him cheap (like 4th-round rookie pick cheap) I think I'd still be tempted to buy.

Users who are viewing this thread