Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Gianluca

Jaylen Samuels - Steelers RB/TE Hybrid - Dynasty

Samuels was a part-time RB in college because he was used as a jack of all trades, but you can tell he's got natural running instincts. As far as his receiving ability, it's top of the food chain. He's got great hands & has a real feel for the passing game. Samuels isn't as physical of a runner as Conner, but he's got good size, nice feet, & is fairly elusive.

Samuels is simply a good football player. This might be blasphemy to some, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he eventually challenges Conner for the feature back role. Samuels has headroom as an inexperienced RB & like Tomlin said, his arrow is pointing up. Samuels will continue to get better as he develops.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Football Jones said:

Samuels was a part-time RB in college because he was used as a jack of all trades, but you can tell he's got natural running instincts. As far as his receiving ability, it's top of the food chain. He's got great hands & has a real feel for the passing game. Samuels isn't as physical of a runner as Conner, but he's got good size, nice feet, & is fairly elusive.

Samuels is simply a good football player. This might be blasphemy to some, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he eventually challenges Conner for the feature back role. Samuels has headroom as an inexperienced RB & like Tomlin said, his arrow is pointing up. Samuels will continue to get better as he develops.

I don’t see him challenging Connor in 2019, as much as complementing him and being serviceable on passing downs. How big is he? 

Just now, Football Jones said:

Samuels is 225.

He looked pretty quick getting to the corner on that pass. If Connor is out this week, do people foresee them going with a Ridley/Samuels split, or JS getting the majority of touches?

Just now, FGITLOTR said:

He looked pretty quick getting to the corner on that pass. If Connor is out this week, do people foresee them going with a Ridley/Samuels split, or JS getting the majority of touches?

I'm not sure, but Samuels seems to have overtaken Ridley (recently) as the backup.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zftcg said:

A lot will depend on what news we get about Conner. For all we know, he won't miss any time. And yes, it matters a lot if you're set at TE. If you can play him there, he's a real difference maker at a position that's been a complete dumpster fire. But strictly as a RB? He's not bad, but he's in that range of Burkhead/Jackson/Ware (again, depending on the severity of Conner's injury). Also worth pointing out he has a great matchup this week vs Oakland, then closes out with two tougher run Ds (NO/NE)/

As it happens, I have Kittle as well, but we can play WR/TE at flex, so I may put a claim on him and would consider him over Boyd (if he's hurt) or Sanders.

Yeah, already playing the Ware/Burkhead game (and have Michel which is why I am sticking with Burkhead).  My option right now is only if I decide Mack just has no real upside for me to keep.

Id love to be able to flex Kittle (also have Boyd).

2 hours ago, Football Jones said:

I'm not sure, but Samuels seems to have overtaken Ridley (recently) as the backup.

Yep. "That was easy".  I agree with your assessment. He's a threat to Conner imo. I thought he would have taken carries and catches a lot sooner.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lod001 said:

Yep. "That was easy".  I agree with your assessment. He's a threat to Conner imo. I thought he would have taken carries and catches a lot sooner.

Even though Conner isn't producing like he was the first half of this year, he's still playing at a high level. I doubt the Steelers are looking for a replacement, especially looking at the financial aspects. That being said, sure, Samuel could have a complimentary role. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lod001 said:

For the record, I'm saying Samuels is more of a long-term threat to Conner (as opposed to anytime soon).

I don't expect Samuels to beat him out by the start of next season, but down the road? It's a possibility, IMO (even though they likely won't be necessarily looking to replace Conner).

Ray Fittipaldo (@rayfitt1)

12/3/18, 10:59 AM

James Conner just limped through the locker room on his way to 2 pm team meeting. Did not speak with reporters

My guess is Conner misses this next game at a minimum. Samuels May split early down work with Ridley but I would say he is in line for a 55-60% time share if Conner is gone. Going forward, we’ll see. I think we will find that Samuels is very much a threat to Conner’s receiving work. Beyond that, I’d say unlikely. Conner has acquitted himself well in both areas but Samuels may find the edge as a receiver and general multi purpose threat. I’m thinking of Conner as a Devonta Freeman and Samuels as a more versatile but less explosive Tevin Coleman. Both guys are capable but Conner is better suited for the dirty work and Samuels is more of the wild card player

Drafted him in dynasty but couldn't hold all season with shorter benches.  That team isn't in the playoffs anyways.

If you can grab him for a week or two for playoffs in your leagues than you should grab if at all possible.

1 hour ago, gabes1919 said:

My guess is Conner misses this next game at a minimum. Samuels May split early down work with Ridley but I would say he is in line for a 55-60% time share if Conner is gone. Going forward, we’ll see. I think we will find that Samuels is very much a threat to Conner’s receiving work. Beyond that, I’d say unlikely. Conner has acquitted himself well in both areas but Samuels may find the edge as a receiver and general multi purpose threat. I’m thinking of Conner as a Devonta Freeman and Samuels as a more versatile but less explosive Tevin Coleman. Both guys are capable but Conner is better suited for the dirty work and Samuels is more of the wild card player

I’m not sure whT would make you think that Samuels is a threat to Conner’s receiving work based on the body of evidence we have this year.  

If Conner is hurt, that is one thing.  But every good thing this team has done this year on offence had been done with Conner being a true workhorse.  

I'm skeptical of Samuels having a successful career, based on what I've seen so far:

He doesn't run like he's 225, seems to lack power.

He's not very quick, fast, or explosive, which is needed if he wants to be a pass-catching back.

He obviously has a nose for the end zone, but without power or speed I see him struggling at this level.

As a PS fan, I hope I'm wrong.  Maybe he makes the big second year step like Conner did (fingers crossed).

2 hours ago, zoonation said:

I’m not sure whT would make you think that Samuels is a threat to Conner’s receiving work based on the body of evidence we have this year.  

If Conner is hurt, that is one thing.  But every good thing this team has done this year on offence had been done with Conner being a true workhorse.  

Because receiving is what Samuels does. Minus his freshman year, he had more receiving yards every other year than Conner did his entire college career. It’s not a knock on Conner, it’s just that that is Samuels’ specialty. Give Samuels a year in the system like Conner has had and I think he would have some very nice success. As it is, he has shown some nice things at times. There’s nothing wrong with it being a committee in the backfield, many teams have had real life and fantasy success by that route. Having two players compliment each other while still being all around skilled in the backfield means more points for the whole team

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/12935/trey-edmunds

Steelers signed RB Trey Edmunds from their practice squad.

Justin Hunter (shoulder) was placed on injured reserve in a corresponding move. Reports on James Conner's leg injury have been positive, but this moves suggests there is at least some concern about his availability for this week. Jaylen Samuels and Stevan Ridley are the backs to add off the wire. Dec 4 - 10:24 AM

31 minutes ago, Twenty-Four Eighty-Four said:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/12935/trey-edmunds

Steelers signed RB Trey Edmunds from their practice squad.

Justin Hunter (shoulder) was placed on injured reserve in a corresponding move. Reports on James Conner's leg injury have been positive, but this moves suggests there is at least some concern about his availability for this week. Jaylen Samuels and Stevan Ridley are the backs to add off the wire. Dec 4 - 10:24 AM

The Jaylen train is leaving the station.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/387111/james-conner-(ankle)-ruled-out-for-week-14

Its official. Conner is out. Look at Samuels' tape in college and tell me he's not gonna outproduce most TE1s next week. No brainer to start him at TE if you ask me. Even a 50/50 share vs Oakland will get twice the touches than any TE1 around the league. If he gets 20 touches it would be like starting 3 or 4 TE1s LOL. We are talking about unfair advantage to the tune that other league mates will cry foul. Let them cry.

Edited by mnmplayer

I've been hoarding my waiver claim all season, and this is the week it finally pays off. I have the No. 3 claim and the two teams ahead of me didn't make the playoffs (and there is no toilet bowl, so I'll be both surprised and p'd off if one of them tries to make a move).

Now the question is, who to start Samuels over in non-PPR? He's not in at RB over Saquon or Lindsay, but his TE eligibility (and my league's WR/TE flex) means I could start him over Kittle, Boyd or Sanders (not Tyreek, obviously).

At this point, the obvious move would seem to be over Kittle. But I will be paying attention to tea leaves about his usage. I'd be very surprised if he gets Conner's workload. Anyone have numbers on how Fitz Toussaint was used the year he came in for DeAngelo? And did that team have a Ridley equivalent to steal touches?

4 minutes ago, zftcg said:

I've been hoarding my waiver claim all season, and this is the week it finally pays off. I have the No. 3 claim and the two teams ahead of me didn't make the playoffs (and there is no toilet bowl, so I'll be both surprised and p'd off if one of them tries to make a move).

If it's a redraft league those teams shouldn't even be allowed to make add/drops.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

If it's a redraft league those teams shouldn't even be allowed to make add/drops.

I don't think it's officially prevented, but no one ever does it. Honestly, if they do I will raise a huge stink.

In my family league, people have done it, mostly out of confusion. My friend did it one year because he somehow thought that total points for the year counted for something, even though Yahoo stops counting if you don't make the playoffs. I called him out for being dumb, but it was a minor transaction that didn't affect anything, so it wasn't worth the effort of reversing, especially for a non-money league.

4 minutes ago, zftcg said:

I don't think it's officially prevented, but no one ever does it. Honestly, if they do I will raise a huge stink.

Yeah. I don't think my league has an official policy on that but it should be unofficially frowned upon. It makes no sense and can only lead to shenanigans (i.e. helping a buddy in the playoffs out by preventing his opponent from getting a player).

Despite playing this weekend without James Conner, already ruled out due to a knee sprain, Mike Tomlin is confident in the players he will have available to him. Speaking at his usual Tuesday press conference, Tomlin says the plan is to work with a running back by committee, made up of Jaylen Samuels, Stevan Ridley, and Trey Edmunds, though he’ll see where the week of practice takes him.

“That is our intentions as we sit here,” Tomlin said, “but we have a preparation week ahead of us and sometimes the division of labor is revealed to you through that work. We got a great deal of confidence in Ridley, we got a great deal of confidence in Jaylen. Particularly of late with Jaylen. He’s a guy that’s been on the rise in recent weeks. We’ve talked about that in here. Trey is a guy who has played some pro football. We were excited about getting him on our practice squad when we acquired him. We’ll put him in uniform and give him an opportunity to be a contributor as well.”

19 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

We have a toilet bowl, but teams in real playoffs have first waiver priority 

Why yahoo still have him listed as RB/TE is crazy....Imagine him getting 15 carries and playing in a TE slot....Happy my league put in a rule where a player with a dual spot eligibility has to be played in the highest ranked position in order of QB,RB,WR,TE ....We put this in years ago after an owner was able to play Colston all year as a TE  :D

55 minutes ago, nelly29 said:

Why yahoo still have him listed as RB/TE is crazy....Imagine him getting 15 carries and playing in a TE slot....Happy my league put in a rule where a player with a dual spot eligibility has to be played in the highest ranked position in order of QB,RB,WR,TE ....We put this in years ago after an owner was able to play Colston all year as a TE  :D

I get it, but I feel like these situations arise infrequently enough that it's better to regard them as funny little quirks. I very nearly won a championship in 2010 starting Joe Webb as my WR, and if I had it would have been one of my greatest fantasy memories.

1 hour ago, nelly29 said:

15 carries for 60 yards is still only 6 points :shrug: 

You still need TDs and receptions. I wouldn't start him over the 3 or 4 stud TEs but would consider him over all the rest gobbledy goop.

7 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

You still need TDs and receptions. I wouldn't start him over the 3 or 4 stud TEs but would consider him over all the rest gobbledy goop.

His college tape reveals that receiving is his best quality. He can run routes, not just out of the backfield and has good hands. His more likely to get 3-5 recs with 8-10 carries. If he gets 15 carries I would suspect he gets 5+ recs as that would mean full time usage.

38 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

I think the key is the floor you get from a starting RB. Pretty much every TE has put up a 2/20/0 this year. That's far less likely from a RB, particularly one on a high-powered offense in a good match-up. Or to put it another way, how many owners would kill for a reliable 6 pts out of their TE position?

If I get him, I would seriously consider starting him over Kittle.

Edited by zftcg

20 minutes ago, zftcg said:

I think the key is the floor you get from a starting RB. Pretty much every TE has put up a 2/20/0 this year. That's far less likely from a RB, particularly one on a high-powered offense in a good match-up.

If I get him, I would seriously consider starting him over Kittle.

Hell, if I get him I’m starting him at flex over Ingram 

3 minutes ago, papacapps said:

Would it make sense to play him over Gronk or Brate at TE?

If I land him Gronk is going to bench the Samuels lands on my roster.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, papacapps said:

I am playing him over a Brate if I get him. I would not play him over Gronk this week against a division opponent for the Pats

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Yeah. I don't think my league has an official policy on that but it should be unofficially frowned upon. It makes no sense and can only lead to shenanigans (i.e. helping a buddy in the playoffs out by preventing his opponent from getting a player).

Yahoo's default settings don't lock out any teams from making transactions. I would imagine that in the vast majority of leagues, the problem is taken care of by the fact that eliminated owners a) don't care and b) aren't d-bags. I'm sure if it every became a problem we would address it.

• Like 1

I have Jared Cook and Gronk, playing over both ... higher upside, higher floor. Gronk has been a disappointment and doesn't look right. The targets he does get he is covered and its a 50/50 ball. Of course i can tell a story where Gronk scores more than Samuels, same with Cook, but the probabilities lie with Samuels vs Oak. It could be a monster game, and the floor is much better than Grok or Cook this season.

17 minutes ago, papacapps said:

I have Kittle and I feel like he and Gronk are the crossover point, for different reasons. With Gronk, it's the uncertainty, though I don't think I'd have the stones to bench him in the playoffs. With Kittle I feel like he has less upside than Samuels.

If I had Kelce or Ertz no way I'd sit them for Samuels.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 12:53 PM, Football Jones said:

For the record, I'm saying Samuels is more of a long-term threat to Conner (as opposed to anytime soon).

I don't expect Samuels to beat him out by the start of next season, but down the road? It's a possibility, IMO (even though they likely won't be necessarily looking to replace Conner).

Agreed but he could take significant carries away next year especially if Conner gets hurt again. I was surprised Conner lasted as long as he did.

1 minute ago, lod001 said:

Agreed but he could take significant carries away next year especially if Conner gets hurt again. I was surprised Conner lasted as long as he did.

Yeah, Conner is a physical runner so he takes some punishment.

It'll be interesting to see how this develops over the next couple seasons.

I honestly didn't realise anyone played in Yahoo leagues! That TE designation would be sweet - pretty funny though because he's clearly a RB and has no relevance to the TE position since the pre-draft process (the Steelers drafted him as  RB). Quite the loophole. 

9 minutes ago, RushHour said:

I honestly didn't realise anyone played in Yahoo leagues! That TE designation would be sweet - pretty funny though because he's clearly a RB and has no relevance to the TE position since the pre-draft process (the Steelers drafted him as  RB). Quite the loophole. 

I don't play in any Yahoo leagues but my local redraft leagues use Yahoo to host the league.

It's free, and it's as good as any for redraft in my opinion

And I agree, the TE designation seems dumb, but some one is going to do it... It might as well be me

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, RushHour said:

Reminds me of the supposed Pauline Kael quote (which she never actually said) after Richard Nixon won 49 states: "How did Nixon win? No one I know voted for him."

I haven't seen numbers in a few years, but I know Yahoo used to be a clear No. 1 in terms of players. They may have been overtaken by ESPN, but if so then they've only been bumped down to No. 2. My guess is even with this board's skew toward hard-core players, lots of people posting here still use Yahoo.

Edited by zftcg

14 minutes ago, zftcg said:

Reminds me of the supposed Pauline Kael quote (which she never actually said) after Richard Nixon won 49 states: "How did Nixon win? No one I know voted for him."

I haven't seen numbers in a few years, but I know Yahoo used to be a clear No. 1 in terms of players. They may have been overtaken by ESPN, but if so then they've only been bumped down to No. 2. My guess is even with this board's skew toward hard-core players, lots of people posting here still use Yahoo.

I'm in 4 leagues. 3 are Yahoo, and 1 is MFL. Never used ESPN, and used NFL.com once and thought it was terrible, though that was at least 5 years ago, so maybe its improved?

MFL is probably the best, but I'm not sure its worth the cost over Yahoo. Only reason its still used for that league is its a dynasty league, with almost 20 years of back stats and records saved in it.

Edited by travdogg

37 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

I don't play in any Yahoo leagues but my local redraft leagues use Yahoo to host the league.

It's free, and it's as good as any for redraft in my opinion

And I agree, the TE designation seems dumb, but some one is going to do it... It might as well be me

Same...but if I can use it instead of an opponent I will. And several older league members are still mad I cashed in when Colston was listed as a TE on yahoo.

FYI, Yahoo ranks him as the consensus TE3, behind only Kelce and Ertz. In terms of flex rankings, here's his neighborhood for non-PPR.

40Josh Adams (PHI - RB)at DAL RB23

41Chris Carson (SEA - RB)vs. MIN RB24

42Emmanuel Sanders (DEN - WR)at SF WR17

43Austin Ekeler (LAC - RB)vs. CIN RB25

44Josh Gordon (NE - WR)at MIA WR18

45Jaylen Samuels (PIT - RB,TE)at OAK RB26/TE3

46Marlon Mack (IND - RB)at HOU RB27

47Zach Ertz (PHI - TE)at DAL TE2*

48Kenyan Drake (MIA - RB)vs. NE RB28

49LeGarrette Blount (DET - RB)at ARI RB29

50Tevin Coleman (ATL - RB)at GB RB30

In my case, I have to pick two from Samuels, Kittle and Boyd. (Unrelated to this discussion, I'm surprised that Kittle is ranked higher than Boyd -- I will almost always play a WR ahead of a TE.)

Also, I realized this morning that when it comes to Samuels, I may be suffering from a "Blagojevich Effect". As the former IL Governor said as he decided who to appoint to Obama's Senate seat, "I've got this thing and it's f###ing golden, and, I'm just not giving it up for f###in' nothing." The fact that I have Samuels and am in position to take advantage of this weird loophole makes me feel like it would be a waste to leave him on my bench.

* No idea why they have Ertz ranked ahead of Samuels in TE rankings but behind him in flex. Suffice it to say they're both pretty close.

In my Yahoo redraft league I drafted Bell but did not get Conner. Conner owner is second seed while I am 8th despite being 3rd in points. I used my top waiver priority this week on Samuels and will start him at TE.

Some people just want to watch the world burn... 

• Like 1