What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jaylen Samuels - Steelers RB/TE Hybrid - Dynasty (1 Viewer)

In my Yahoo redraft league I drafted Bell but did not get Conner. Conner owner is second seed while I am 8th despite being 3rd in points. I used my top waiver priority this week on Samuels and will start him at TE.

Some people just want to watch the world burn... 
Out of curiosity, which TE are you starting him over?

It's a W/T flex spot (PPR). Currently in over Gronk and DJ Moore.
I feel like Gronk, Kittle and Ebron are the only tough decisions. No way I would start him over Kelce and Ertz, and no way I wouldn't start him over any other TE.

With Gronk in particular, I'm not sure I'd have the stomach to bench him, but I totally get why you would. (Also, I haven't been riding the emotional rollercoaster all season.)

I feel like Gronk, Kittle and Ebron are the only tough decisions. No way I would start him over Kelce and Ertz, and no way I wouldn't start him over any other TE.

With Gronk in particular, I'm not sure I'd have the stomach to bench him, but I totally get why you would. (Also, I haven't been riding the emotional rollercoaster all season.)
Unscientific but I have decided that I would rather live with the consequences of a "classic Gronk" on my bench than another "lately Gronk" game in my line-up.

Anybody actually starting home at RB?
I'm considering it.

In a large league (72 teams - six 12-team divisions, playoffs involve top teams from all six divisions).  Second round of the playoffs.  It's a RB-bonus league (RB's get 0.15 points per yard compared to 0.1 ppy for all other players).  So, I have to start 4 of the following:

Gurley, Mixon, Lindsey, Ekeler, Josh Adams, Rashaad Penny, and Jaylen Samuels

Oakland is such a dumpster fire against the run......Ekeler might lose touches to Jackson, Penny is as unpredictable as they come (and Minnesota has a tough defense), Adams playing in a tough matchup......

Unscientific but I have decided that I would rather live with the consequences of a "classic Gronk" on my bench than another "lately Gronk" game in my line-up.
I'm debating the same thing.  Tough decision to bench Gronk, but he really hasn't helped my team this year as I thought he would.  in a 16 team league where you must start a TE he was supposed to be a huge advantage.  I'm leaning towards Samuels in this spot as this is a Yahoo league.

Whelp, with Sanders apparently tearing his Achilles, I no longer have to decide between Samuels, Kittle and Boyd, since I'll be starting all three.

Retweeted by Schefter “RB Jaylen Samuels said he will start Sunday’s game against the Raiders but that he and Stevan Ridley will split time. Samuels will get a package, then Ridley will go, per Samuels.”

Thats a nice game plan there... it would be a shame if actual game time messed it up... my guess is that this will generally be true for carries but not in passing situations or two minute drills. Still think Samuels is a solid rb2/3 start with rb1 upside and definitely a te1

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone think that if they were playing the pats or ravens this week Conner would be a go? But because it's the raiders they will likely drop Ben back 50 times if need be and beat them by calling back Jerome Bettis if that were an option? 

I just have the feeling this a "bye week" for Conner to save him for the stretch run and it isn't as serious as most think.

*full disclosure I spent the remainder 34% of my faab with a week 14 bye on Samuels and a  Conner owner

Anyone think that if they were playing the pats or ravens this week Conner would be a go? But because it's the raiders they will likely drop Ben back 50 times if need be and beat them by calling back Jerome Bettis if that were an option? 

I just have the feeling this a "bye week" for Conner to save him for the stretch run and it isn't as serious as most think.

*full disclosure I spent the remainder 34% of my faab with a week 14 bye on Samuels and a  Conner owner
In general, I'm skeptical that teams think that way as often as people assume they do. But in this specific case, it's even less likely. The Steelers have lost two straight winnable conference games (after pulling the Jax game out of their ###es) and are only a half game up on the Ravens. Their two games after this one are NE/@NO. They absolutely can't afford to blow this one on the road.

I actually think the opposite. I think its only slightly better than 50-50 we see Conner again this season. I think its a high ankle sprain, which is often at least a 3-4 week injury, and I think its entirely possible the Steelers don't make the playoffs, as they likely have 2 losses coming up. Is 9-6-1 gonna make it? 

I actually think the opposite. I think its only slightly better than 50-50 we see Conner again this season. I think its a high ankle sprain, which is often at least a 3-4 week injury, and I think its entirely possible the Steelers don't make the playoffs, as they likely have 2 losses coming up. Is 9-6-1 gonna make it? 
High ankle sprains do take a while. I had one once. Took a month to get back on the ice, even. And that's with a boot for support. 

zftcg said:

A rollercoaster has highs.

Roto take

Ben Roethlisberger's pass-attempts outlook is enhanced by Pittsburgh’s loss of James Conner (ankle), thrusting ex-NC State WR/TE Jaylen Samuels into lead-back duties. Samuels has run a pass route or pass blocked on 73% of his 2018 offensive plays after graduating college with more career catches (201) than rushing attempts (182). From a skill-set standpoint, Samuels looked more like Trey Burton than a running back on college tape. Stevan Ridley will mix in as a situational runner, but Samuel is fully expected to start. In leagues where he is tight end eligible, Samuels is a top-four play at the position behind only Travis Kelce, Zach Ertz, and Eric Ebron. As a running back, he is a low-end RB2/flex play with a shot at 9-12 carries and 4-6 receptions.
In situations where Ridley is in the game, they expect to see Samuels get time on the field as a TE. Depending on how Tomlin gameplans this, we may see true Swiss Army knife usage from "Flex" Samuels.

I'm debating the same thing.  Tough decision to bench Gronk, but he really hasn't helped my team this year as I thought he would.  in a 16 team league where you must start a TE he was supposed to be a huge advantage.  I'm leaning towards Samuels in this spot as this is a Yahoo league.
Guess which way I went.  Unreal, Freaking Gronk puts up his highest total of the year and they're not done yet.

Jaylen Samuels rushed 11 times for 28 yards and hauled in all seven of his targets for 64 yards in the Steelers' Week 14 loss to the Raiders.

Samuels appeared on his way to a disappointing game for most of this one. He lost a goal-line touchdown to Stevan Ridley in the second quarter, and he was stuck on 56 total yards late in the fourth quarter. Ben Roethlisberger re-entered the game after the Raiders took the lead, however, and immediately found Samuels for two long catches. Assuming James Conner is not ready to return, Samuels' receiving usage should keep him in the RB2 conversation next week against the Patriots.
Depending on what you used him as (RB or TE) he wound up with an good line. Got vultured twice by Ridley and a risky pass that nearly was an INT. Notably unless I missed it he didn't play any snaps as a planted TE, but he was utilized as a WR and a "move TE".

He hit his floor last week. starting him again if Conner sits. Last week if he gets a TD hes hitting 20 points. I am favored so value a higher floor at TE than ceiling.

Bfrahm3 said:
How? 7-61 isn’t bad, Samuels literally still has a chance to not even play much if Conner is active. Benching the top TE in fantasy for a backup RB would have been dumb even if Samuels does end up scoring more then him this weekend
Everything I am reading suggests Conner playing is unrealistic and I believe it 100% since he has a high ankle sprain.

Kelce has been held down by the Chargers for the last 5 games and knowing Derwin James was going to defend him most plays, I was very hesitant.

Samuels is the lead back on a powerhouse offense, at home in a must win and possesses dual threat skills with a great chance to score. I just regret not using the crucial loophole of playing a bellcow RB at the TE spot. Could cost me the semifinal matchup...

I missed all the games today due to reffing a wrestling tournament, but I can’t wait to watch Samuels on GamePass when I get home.

He look good?

honestly, here's hoping they rest connor until the playoffs after that big win over NE, but i doubt it. 🤐 If Connor can play, i think he plays. If the ravens weren't right on the steelers heels, i could see them resting Connor, but with only a 1/2 game lead in the division with 2 games to play, Pitt has to put its best players on the field. Although, Samuels played exceptionally well while Connor was out. 

Conner and Samuels are going to become a full-tilt 2-headed combo.

There is no reason for the Steelers not to unless Conner cant handle a time-share.  Samuel did it as a collegiate with no issues being very valuable as such.

They’ve sure got some system for RB success there. Not saying Bell isn’t supremely talented, but there clearly seems to be a reason why the team wouldn’t pony up for him.

Conner and Samuels are going to become a full-tilt 2-headed combo.

There is no reason for the Steelers not to unless Conner cant handle a time-share.  Samuel did it as a collegiate with no issues being very valuable as such.
I see a scenario where it starts like that but Samuels out performs Conner and pushes his way into the starting line up........

They’ve sure got some system for RB success there. Not saying Bell isn’t supremely talented, but there clearly seems to be a reason why the team wouldn’t pony up for him.
100%. Sometimes it’s the system. Like you said, no doubt Bell is a talented back but I think a lot of guys would have success in Pittsburgh moreso than somewhere else. 

I see a scenario where it starts like that but Samuels out performs Conner and pushes his way into the starting line up........
Its better for the team to utilize two backs, if they have the talent.  Even if it tilts a bit one way or the other.

Its better for the team to utilize two backs, if they have the talent.  Even if it #### a bit one way or the other.
Are the Steelers a team that does uses RBBC though? I see a bit of a fight to the death between the two backs with Samuels winning out in the end. 

Are the Steelers a team that does uses RBBC though? I see a bit of a fight to the death between the two backs with Samuels winning out in the end. 
Depends on the talent.  Bell had everyone crushed for several years.  The year before he arrived they split Dwyer and Redman. And a bit before that it was Bettis and Staley/Zeroue.

Jaylen Samuels rushed 19 times for 142 yards in the Steelers' Week 15 win over the Patriots, adding two receptions for 30 additional yards.

More involved as the game wore on, Samuels put the Steelers' offense on his back in the second quarter. His numbers were not goosed by any runs longer than 25 yards, he was simply consistently churning yards. Samuels had the smoothness of a pass catcher in the run game. It's hard to see how the Steelers could mothabll him following the return of James Conner. Conner will surely take the lead on the ground, but Samuels demands snaps in the third down/change-of-pace realm. Pittsburgh is heading to New Orleans to take on the Saints' dominant run defense in Week 16. Conner is expected to play.
This is going to be a headache situation to monitor. If Connor plays Samuels might be unplayable at RB, but if he gets 3rd down usage+, he could be playable at TE.

Depends on the talent.  Bell had everyone crushed for several years.  The year before he arrived they split Dwyer and Redman. And a bit before that it was Bettis and Staley/Zeroue.
Willie Parker and Rashard Mendenhall mostly had the backfields to themselves as well. 

I thought Samuels looked awesome today. Small sample size, but I don't think they have missed Conner any more than they have missed Bell. Another argument for the RB is essentially meaningless crowd.

Jaylen looked good, but I'd tap the breaks a  bit. This is a historically bad NE rush D. Think they gave up 9ypc to Miami and like 7ypc to Vikings week before that. Even Ridley ripped off a 15-yarder.

This was my thinking in preseason but after seeing Conner and him being better then I thought he would I don’t really believe this anymore. As I Samuels owner in multiple dynasty I’d be fine with it tho lol

He did great running the ball but my favorite play was easily the third down catch late in the game where he made a play that im not sure many later round rookies make. Didn’t have anyone to pass block and saw Ben was running out of time, took off and got past his guy and then went 5-6 yards past the marker and made himself available for Ben to throw too. Most guys might have kept moving to pick up extra yardage but Samuels stopped so Ben had an easier throw plus it didn’t take him towards more defenders.

Users who are viewing this thread