What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Suggestions for trip to Chicago? (1 Viewer)

northern exposure

Footballguy
My wife attended a conference in Chicago a few years back and was intrigued by the city. She didn't get much of a chance to tour around the city, but she liked what she did see. She will be attending another conference in Chicago at the end of July and we have decided to vacation as a family there prior to the conference.

So, any suggestions for places to go, places to eat and "must do"s in Chicago? It will be my wife, myself and our two sons (aged 11 and 13) on the trip. We will be staying in the Magnificent Mile area of the city for 5-7 days.

My youngest son and I are the big sports fans in the family, but we prefer football, hockey and basketball to baseball. So,(Go Cubbies), we aren't sure about going to a game at Wrigley Field.  Maybe there are opportunities to take tours of the other sports stadiums in Chicago?

Last edited by a moderator:
Only been to Wrigley, so I can't speak to the other stadiums. But Wrigley was awesome. Try to get to a high end steakhouse. A few that are so popular you probably won't even get a reservation even now, but no shortage of great ones. Architectural river tour was really cool. The kids might not appreciate the buildings and descriptions, but it'll be cool for them being out on the river. Great views atop the Hancock tower. Should be nice enough in July to hit the beach. Pequod's gets my vote for deep dish pizza. Good luck, enjoy!

Only been to Wrigley, so I can't speak to the other stadiums. But Wrigley was awesome. Try to get to a high end steakhouse. A few that are so popular you probably won't even get a reservation even now, but no shortage of great ones. Architectural river tour was really cool. The kids might not appreciate the buildings and descriptions, but it'll be cool for them being out on the river. Great views atop the Hancock tower. Should be nice enough in July to hit the beach. Pequod's gets my vote for deep dish pizza. Good luck, enjoy!
What this guys says!!!!

i'd keep it to about 5 days, honestly, and i live here in Chicago. There's plenty to do but 7 days might be pushing it for a family.

I'm not a huge baseball fan but games are fun. You may want to consider just getting a tour of Wrigley rather than going to see the Cubs. it gets good reviews from i know that aren't baseball fans.

there are a few Chicago threads in the FFA already. search function might turn them up again if it's not feeling tempermental.

Museum of Science and Industry is a must. Also museum campus area with Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium, Planetarium, Soldier Field. Also do the art museum. Each of the museums is unique and world class. 

Navy Pier is a day along with a boat ride. My suggestion would be to do two if you can swing it: an architectural tour of the river and an evening Seadog ride, on a Saturday when they do the fireworks if possible. But either way the view of the city from the lake at night is unforgettable. 

Sears Tower of course and Chicago style deep dish pizza. 

Italian Beef too is a must try.

Millennium Park and Grant Park area, including Buckingham Fountain.  If you like live music and have options about when to go, check out the festival schedule.. Festivals are free to attend. I'd stay away from Taste of Chicago due to the crowd, just a suggestion. But if you're not afraid of the crowd go when they're doing the fireworks for the fourth. Don't forget to cross over Lake Shore Drive for a walk along the lakefront. 

If you want to swim in the lake is suggest North Avenue Beach as the closest option but there's also 31st Street Beach which is less congested. Check out water conditions at the park district site. Sometimes beaches are closed if the water has too much bacteria. It's safe to swim if beaches are open just be informed before you head out for the day. 

FYI it might make sense to catch a water taxi. Check out the routes on line. 

Have fun! Bring your wallet... DC value this ain't... $$

Last edited by a moderator:
The best part of Chicago is the food/drink scene but that isn’t likely what you are looking for. Shedd Aquarium is awesome but like most things in Chicago, it can get really overcrowded. The museums are great as well.

Aquarium and Museums

River Tour

Go to Wrigley - outstanding experience in the summer IMO

Beach day - the lakeshore in July is awesome. Rent bikes and ride up/down the lakeshore paths. 

Try to see a show maybe?

I agree 7 days may be too long with kids that age. 

Great suggestions so far. 

Be sure to check out festival lineup so that you know what parts of the city might have unusual congestion. 

Kids and parents might like beer arcade: HQ (i think that one is 21+) or Emporium or FTW. 

Dylan's Candy Bar, Eataly in River North by your hotel. 

Maggie Daley Park for rock climbing (your kids probably just a little too old for playgrounds there).  This is at Millennium Park which also has a few free concerts in the summer time. 

Second City might have kid friendly version of show. 

Def do at least one boat tour.  Architectural tour is very good. If you are in town for that long, look into dinner cruises from Navy Pier as great way to see city. 

Unless you have to go to Navy Pier for a boat departure, please skip it.  Navy Pier is our throwaway to the tourists.  Crowded and very, very little unique Chicago. 

Even if you aren't a big baseball fan I would think catching a game in Wrigley if possible is almost a must. To me it's almost like driving by Mount Rushmore and not stopping if you haven't been there before. 

Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder (~2130 N Clark St) is a great experience.  It's across the street from where the Valentine's day massacre happened.  Fantastic pizza but a little unconventional.  Get the Mediterranean bread too.  Bring cash because they don't accept cards and they don't take reservations.  At peak time, it can be a two hour wait so plan accordingly.

Users who are viewing this thread