What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Iran - Democracy Movement, The Nuke Deal & The Future (2 Viewers)

The reasons for Obama's decision were provided to us by Obama. The nature of the deal was presented to us. Congress was and is in a state such that it can't provide governance, yet the deal needed to get done as it was an improvement over the then current state, and has had beneficial impact.

Trump has offered no reasons for his decision, and you, yourself have said he doesn't need to provide them. I guess that makes your complaint about Obama even more ###-backwards.
Doesnt work that way.   And know you see why.   

Im not complaining.   Obamas stragety for this agreement has been proven as a failure.   Trump dumped it with a stroke of a pen.   By any measure.  That is a political failure?

Glenn Greenwald‏ @ggreenwald 

Russia opposes Trump's violation of Iran Deal, just as it opposed so much of what he's done (bombing Assad, arming Ukraine, sanctioning Russians, etc.). The governments to which Trump is *actually loyal & subservient are Israel & Saudis, but this doesn't help Dems' 2016 narrative

Is there ever a point where people acknowledge Israel is a total albatross on US foreign policy and serves no strategic purpose at all?  
Yeah, when worldwide peace breaks out. 

Every treaty.   
Sort of.  Everything the Constitution refers to as a treaty. Internationally there are things that are treaties that aren’t referred to as such in the US.  Executive agreements, for instance.  But I know what you’re saying. 

So what do you do if the Senate won’t agree with the President on anything at all? Just let the country fall apart diplomatically?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sort of.  Everything the Constitution refers to as a treaty. Internationally there are things that are treaties that aren’t referred to as such in the US.  Executive agreements, for instance.  But I know what you’re saying. 

So what do you do if the Senate won’t agree with the President on anything at all? Just let the country fall apart diplomatically?
I think you do what obama did.   If hillary won and the agreement held and delivered.   It probably stays.

But his tactic had a fatal flaw.  It needed time.    And Trump has a hard on for barack

you get the Hawaii thing was not real, right?  as in there was no threat whatsoever.  your entire argument is strawman.  The cold war arms race has absolutely no probative value when discussing what happened today.  None.
It wasn't that it was "real" or not.  It was perceived as "real" because someone who wanted to destroyed us and promised to do so, had the perceived ability to deliver a nuclear warhead to Hawaii. 

If the treat of an imminent nuclear delivery wasn't perceived as a "real" threat, nobody would have running for cover.

The quote is "power perceived is power achieved".

I think you do what obama did.   If hillary won and the agreement held and delivered.   It probably stays.

But his tactic had a fatal flaw.  It needed time.    And Trump has a hard on for barack
Don't see what his alternatives were - he wasn't going to be President for life, he wasn't going to get it through Congress. He used the only tool left to him. If Iran and the other parties continue to adhere to the deal, he still accomplished the most important parts of what he set out to do. At the very least he bought a couple years of stalling Iranian nuclear weaponization. Hard to call it a complete failure.

It wasn't that it was "real" or not.  It was perceived as "real" because someone who wanted to destroyed us and promised to do so, had the perceived ability to deliver a nuclear warhead to Hawaii. 

If the treat of an imminent nuclear delivery wasn't perceived as a "real" threat, nobody would have running for cover.

I don’t buy that at all. If people get an emergency warning saying a nuclear strike is coming then they run to take cover. People aren’t stopping to think who might be behind it or if it is feasible before they take cover. 

• Smile
Reactions: Ned

So how can anyone be happy with a massive international decision like this that is based on one American having it out for another? 

Don't see what his alternatives were - he wasn't going to be President for life, he wasn't going to get it through Congress. He used the only tool left to him. If Iran and the other parties continue to adhere to the deal, he still accomplished the most important parts of what he set out to do. At the very least he bought a couple years of stalling Iranian nuclear weaponization. Hard to call it a complete failure.
It was a political failure because it didnt hold.   That is how things like this are judged.

Ryan Costello‏ @RN_Costello

Reminder: John Bolton doesn't just want to kill the Iran nuclear deal, he wants to pave the way for war and regime change. Here is his open memo to Trump from October, which the administration has followed thus far https://www.nationalreview.com/2017/08/iran-nuclear-deal-exit-strategy-john-bolton-memo-trump/ …

What I think worries me about the agreement is the CSIS report I linked to earlier. There are some heavy hitters in that report, and if their claim is that nuclear proliferation is more likely without the JCPOA then it strikes me that maybe complete withdrawal instead of renegotiation of certain aspects of the agreement might not be prudent.  

What I think worries me about the agreement is the CSIS report I linked to earlier. There are some heavy hitters in that report, and if their claim is that nuclear proliferation is more likely without the JCPOA then it strikes me that maybe complete withdrawal instead of renegotiation of certain aspects of the agreement might not be prudent.  
Agree completely- I defer to the experts and global stability. Then the fact it’s done without thorough explanation is a horrendous leadership. 

No one with a shred of intellectual honesty ever considered NK in 2018 a serious threat to successfully deliver a nuke to the US or any of its pacific colonies.  

There was no serious threat.  To compare it to the Cuban missile crisis is intellectually ignorant.  

It’s the equivalent of me threatening to kick GSP’s ###.   The Cold War was real. The Russian parked deliverable nukes in Cuba.  

I take Tim’s point earlier in terms of policy.  I still think that is a stretch.  But, your contention that any current NK threat presented a real and present danger on the same level as Cuba is laughable.  

No one with a shred of intellectual honesty ever considered NK in 2018 a serious threat to successfully deliver a nuke to the US or any of its pacific colonies.  

There was no serious threat.  To compare it to the Cuban missile crisis is intellectually ignorant.  

It’s the equivalent of me threatening to kick GSP’s ###.   The Cold War was real. The Russian parked deliverable nukes in Cuba.  

I take Tim’s point earlier in terms of policy.  I still think that is a stretch.  But, your contention that any current NK threat presented a real and present danger on the same level as Cuba is laughable.  
Tell the people who were prying up the manhole covers in Honolulu.

I agree that it is always prudent to reconsider the terms of important agreements.  

I also agree that it’s far more likely that Iran has nukes soon if this agreement goes away. 

To my best understanding, the “deal” was never real anyway.
Well, it was real but people didn't think Iran was honoring it. Enforcement was always the problem with the deal. We couldn't inspect their military bases, etc. 

National Review did a nice six point video today on why the deal should be ended. 

Reason's editorial department disagrees. 

People are all over the place on this thing, but when people at AEI are listed on a report that claims that nuclear proliferation is more likely without the deal, then my ears perk up. 

Glenn Greenwald is such a predictable Israeli hating idiot. Somebody explain to me how what Trump did today is good for Israel. 

You mean, people who watch the MSM and believe that there's an imminent threat is real?
What is the comp? If Truman could have gotten an agreement with Stalin in ‘46 before the USSR had come to have nukes he would have jumped at it. If Ike could have had an agreement in ‘53 before USSR had missiles he would have jumped at it.

Glenn Greenwald is such a predictable Israeli hating idiot. Somebody explain to me how what Trump did today is good for Israel. 
Netanyahu and a significant portion of the Israeli populace wanted this, one has to assume.  

But I don't disagree about Greenwald.  

Users who are viewing this thread