What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fortnite - The Game (2 Viewers)

ChiefD

Footballguy
So as not to hijack further the other thread about iphones for kids, what are peoples thoughts on this game?

Wife and I have resisted so far for my 12 year old under the premise that we don't allow the kids to play games where people shoot other people. I know it's a cartooney type of game, but the premise remains.

We are open to other opinions for sure. 

Within the last two weeks we have allowed my 12 yo to get this game. He is not allowed to play it when his brother and sister are home. So maybe 2 hours a week so far. 

Have you watched it? Lots of redeeming qualities, IMO. Teamwork, risk assessment, planning ahead, strategy - by no means a mindless shoot ‘em up game. Fine as long as it doesn’t become an obsession that interferes with other interests and responsibilities.

My 15 yo son has a healthy relationship with it, it’s my 12 yo daughter who is teetering on obsession - keeping an eye on that.

I agree with the others that said if you have a rule, then stick to your rule.

I started my older son on shooters far before I should have (younger than 12) and he became obsessed and we cut it back off.  We let him play again around that age, and its been fine.  I think Fortnite is a better experience for kids than Call of Duty, Halo, etc, due to the cartoony nature.  I will also say the communication and teamwork they can use to play this game are also superior to other games.  The pace is slower as well.

All that said I wouldn't talk someone in to allowing their kids to play if they are against shooters.  I don't think you're wrong in not letting your kids play.  But, if you're looking to let them try something, this isn't a horrible first game to play.

My kids have now spent over $60 on this "free" game.  The makers know what they are doing and it can get addictive.

Have you watched it? Lots of redeeming qualities, IMO. Teamwork, risk assessment, planning ahead, strategy - by no means a mindless shoot ‘em up game. Fine as long as it doesn’t become an obsession that interferes with other interests and responsibilities.

My 15 yo son has a healthy relationship with it, it’s my 12 yo daughter who is teetering on obsession - keeping an eye on that.
We were typing at the same time and you said it better and more briefly than I did.  Ditto.

We have not allowed my 10 year old to play fortnite.  It was not quite cartoony enough.  He plays Garden Warfare, Overwatch, and now Sea of Thieves.  Fortnite seemed to be right at the line. 

I have not watched it. So far I have read some stuff on the web, asked other parents, and now this thread. Just trying to do my homework. 

The thing I don't want to do is keep him away from a group of friends that are playing this. He's at that age where hormones are starting up, and he has gotten pretty upset when we have refused him to allow to play.

I don't want to be the dad that says no to EVERYTHING that he thinks is cool - I know I need to let go of some things. And if this is a hill not worth dying on, I'm willing to let him try it. 

My students got me to play this with them once when it came out for ios. 

I will not let my 8 year old play despite him playing at his cousins house a few times already. 

Most kids in middle school and high school are playing including girls which is actually nice to see. 

If I'm being honest, I give it another month or so. By the time kids come back to school, I dont see it being a huge thing. 

I have not watched it. So far I have read some stuff on the web, asked other parents, and now this thread. Just trying to do my homework. 

The thing I don't want to do is keep him away from a group of friends that are playing this. He's at that age where hormones are starting up, and he has gotten pretty upset when we have refused him to allow to play.

I don't want to be the dad that says no to EVERYTHING that he thinks is cool - I know I need to let go of some things. And if this is a hill not worth dying on, I'm willing to let him try it. 
Maybe you can play together. Allows him to feel the zeitgeist of being involved and you get to hang together. 

Maybe tell him he is getting older and you want to let him try for a few days and reassess. 

We are not big video game people in our family.  Up until a few months ago, my 13 year old son would tell you he was still perfectly happy playing our Wii when he wanted to play games.  (That's the only system we have).  But a couple of months ago, he started inquiring about how much a PS4 would cost, and it was all because every one of his friends was playing Fortnite on it, and he wasn't.  He said he was getting teased because he didn't have it.  I figured it would be a fad that would eventually die down.  

I can't profess to know much about it.  He has an Android phone.  Is this now a mobile game too?  Could he play this on his phone?  

Reading the comments here about not letting early teenage kids play Fortnite and just shaking my head. Outside of the fact it's a shooter, it's one of the most inoffensive games out there.

Signed,

Law-abiding man who was restricted from playing Mortal Kombat growing up, which just served to make him want to play it more and find ways to do so.

Most of the parents at my kid's school are not allowing Fortnite at this point.  Some are, most are not.  I have always played video games with my kids.  Mostly Lego games, fighting games like Tekken, Injustice, etc... They watch me play Tomb Raider and it's a little scary for them at times.  That being said, we let both our kids play Fortnite.  There's no blood and guts and when players die they just *poof* and disappear.  I don't really subscribe to the theory that these games are bad for kids, but I WILL keep games like COD and GTA away from them for a looooong time.  I think the cartoony aspect most have already mentioned make this harmless but what do I know.  At our school (private Catholic) I seem to def. be in the minority.

My kids are 6 and 8.  Fire away at what a terrible parent I am.  The 6 year old loved to smash stuff with the axe and build, but if he encounters another player he is smoked almost instantly.  He's probably played less than 50 times, he's got 2 kills.  My 8 year old is more interested, but after an hour or so she loses interest and moves onto something else.  She is slightly better, but still gets killed 9 out of 10 times if she gets in a fire fight.  

I'm a little better, but I've never won.  2nd place is my highest.

Edit: the dances and taunting are probably the feature they like the most.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Korean co-worker has a window up pretty much all day long watching people stream their matches of this game.

So as not to hijack further the other thread about iphones for kids, what are peoples thoughts on this game?

Wife and I have resisted so far for my 12 year old under the premise that we don't allow the kids to play games where people shoot other people. I know it's a cartooney type of game, but the premise remains.

We are open to other opinions for sure. 
It's not about shooting.  It's about the amount of time your kid will want to spend on the Xbox.  My biggest regret is introducing that ###### machine into our house when my son was in 6th grade.  We have had SO MANY fights about it.  For the love of god, man, don't do it. 

My Korean co-worker has a window up pretty much all day long watching people stream their matches of this game.
the #1 streamer for Fortnite (Ninja) makes something like 500K a month just by having people watch him play the game.  Unbelievable.

Fortnite is the biggest game ever.  Not even close.

You can watch youtube and learn everything you need to know. 

the #1 streamer for Fortnite (Ninja) makes something like 500K a month just by having people watch him play the game.  Unbelievable.

The kid with the blue hair, right? He is one of them. Also watches a couple lesser people who probably still make decent amount doing the same thing. Great gig.

Heard an interview with one of the Laker rookies this season. The kid said he was addicted to Fortnight and a few other NBA guys are as well. The guy said winning his first Fortnight match rivaled anything he has done in his basketball career :lol:

Yeah, I enjoy reading the tweets of the Ohio State Football team and their Fortnite exploits with coaches.  Funny stuff from the O-Line.

My 15 yr old son loves this game and spends a large chunk of his free time with it.  My 14 yr old son has not touched it and doesn't show any interest.   :shrug:

I’m 36 and I play. It’s a blast. 

I wish you guys would let your younger kids play more so this old man can get easier kills.  These teenagers are destroying me. ;)
:goodposting:

This game is fun and also I am very bad at killing people (but I haven't spent a cent on it, so I tell myself everyone killing me must have some special paid upgrades, right :oldunsure: )

My kids have to shoot hoops or play outside for an hour in order to play for an hour.

Like I mentioned in the other thread.. I learned how the game works, each "round" is not very long, at worst ~10 minutes if they are very good.  So you can pretty easily set start and stop time parameters.

tried to set up an account for my 9 year old last night, and I get a "you do not have permission to play Fortnite" when I try to log in on the iPad. Account is set up on Epic Games, just cannot get the app to complete the log in. He's an avid Splatoon player who wants to try this out...any help?

My 13 yr old is obsessed. He spent money on it for the first time yesterday to get the $10 battle pass for the new release that just came. We had a no shooter rule when he was younger. We made an exception for Halo because it's only shooting aliens with no blood or gore (arbitrary, I know - real reason was Halo came with the Xbox I bought.)

This game has no blood, but is humans killing other humans, so not an easy decision.

All our other normal video game rules apply of course, but he is pushing the limits on this harder than he's ever done before. We had an incident last night that pissed me off - told us he was shutting down "after this game", then I caught him trying to start another one. He had died right away, thought he could just start another. Not cool with Dad at all ...

My kids have to shoot hoops or play outside for an hour in order to play for an hour.

Like I mentioned in the other thread.. I learned how the game works, each "round" is not very long, at worst ~10 minutes if they are very good.  So you can pretty easily set start and stop time parameters.
My kids would rather play Horse outside than Fortnite anytime. Maybe the fact that I do let them play the games makes them not as interested as if they were banned altogether?

~10 minutes is funny to me.  I think I played 15 games after the kids went to bed last night and 14 of them I was crushed in under 2 minutes.  Essentially right after I am done parachuting in.

He had died right away, thought he could just start another. Not cool with Dad at all ...
We rotate every game, if you die in 1 minute, too bad, next man is up.  It sucks when you die right away! 

I almost exclusively drop in as far away from the action as I can, and try to build up resources and weapons alone and then sneak up on folks from behind.  The new update changed my typical landing spot, and put some nuclear rocket silo there.  LAME.

Are your kids already involved in organized sports, or are they not otherwise active unless they are working for screen time?

Not attacking, just inquiring. When my kids were younger they had a lot of screen time restrictions (set limit per day).  Now that they are older, it is much easier to monitor.  Both are in high school now, so between practice or games everyday during basketball and baseball season or homework, we really don't have to monitor it much anymore, though they are on a screen all weekend.  I'm sure that is too much, but as long as their grades are where they are, I'm past keeping a stop watch on their screen time.

My 12yo plays quite a bit. Last year it was Overwatch, Fortnite is the latest flavor. We are pretty lax in our house as long as it doesn't get out of hand and affect other stuff like sports or school work. We trust our kids enough to give them a little rope, they have earned that trust with their previous behavior. I do like the fact that there is a social aspect and strategy component like others have mentioned. 

Our kids get 1 hour per day on weekends and 30 minutes a day during the school week for their games - ipad or Xbox. So I'm not worried about the time factor. They spend most of their time outdoors anyway. Or playing legos. Or fighting with each other. 

Are your kids already involved in organized sports, or are they not otherwise active unless they are working for screen time?

Not attacking, just inquiring. When my kids were younger they had a lot of screen time restrictions (set limit per day).  Now that they are older, it is much easier to monitor.  Both are in high school now, so between practice or games everyday during basketball and baseball season or homework, we really don't have to monitor it much anymore, though they are on a screen all weekend.  I'm sure that is too much, but as long as their grades are where they are, I'm past keeping a stop watch on their screen time.
Their practices count.  At 9 and 11 they aren't yet having organized practice every night.

My 10 y.o. loves playing it.  It's great to look into his room and see him with his headset on, yelling into the mic at/with his friends.  He's a pretty quiet/reserved kid (out in the world), and it's brought out more of a willingness to express himself verbally/demonstratively.  Before this game, he NEVER would have danced in public.  Now I can't get him to stop.  And the dancing is everywhere.  All of his close buddies, his baseball teammates, all the kids on the blacktop at school. 

Bonus:  my kids thought I was super cool because I know BBD's Poison and could help them with that one particular dance.

Con:  $60/year for Xbox Live Gold

Anyone want to squad-up? 

(I have no idea what this even means - just hear my kids say it)
I've wanted to get into the game, but a lack of iFriends that play it has held me back a bit.

What system would we want to do this on? I think we can do teams of four on Fortnite. PC = free online gaming and I have a good rig for it. Otherwise, I have a PS4 and a XB1. I'd need a sub for PS4, but I have XBL Gold for the XB1. 

Watched my son play a little last night. He collected up a bunch of guns and ammo, was cruising around, then I learned what camping was. Dude popped out of the shadows and capped him. 

I've wanted to get into the game, but a lack of iFriends that play it has held me back a bit.

What system would we want to do this on? I think we can do teams of four on Fortnite. PC = free online gaming and I have a good rig for it. Otherwise, I have a PS4 and a XB1. I'd need a sub for PS4, but I have XBL Gold for the XB1. 
I think you can play together across platforms now. Maybe PC and XBox can play together, but not PS4?  Something like that.

Maybe domestically. League still beats it worldwide.

All platforms can play together, PC, XB and PS4.

I am THeBuckEyeDoc if anyone wants to squad up. ;)

I will say this for Fortnite.  It was the #1 grossing console game last month, and it was not even close.  Brought in $223 million last month.  In cosmetics and battle passes.  Crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread