What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

John McCain (1 Viewer)

Buchanan was an intellectual. He got a master’s degree from the Ivy League. Unlike Palin or Trump, he was a policy wonk who served as an advisor to several Presidents. He didn’t just read magazines (“all of them” — Sarah Palin), he helped write them.
Her lack of education did not shift the discussion.  Palin brought no new ideas to the table.   

Many social conservatives couldn't identify with Pat Buchanan because he was highly educated, had a strict "family values" lifestyle, and didn't do drugs. Palin gave those people a spiritual leader.
The only thing Palin did was get past the primaries.  Buchanan always had the most ethusiastic following in the primaries and in fact did appeal to those social conservative.  The ethusiasm for Buchanan was why someone like Palin was picked.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I am conflicted on Jane Fonda because on the one hand Barbarella, and on the other Hanoi Jane.  That said, I think in sum I come down against her because of Bridget Fonda.  I know she is only Jane's niece but there is blame aplenty to go around. Rational, no, but there it is.

As for McCain I believe he did the best he could living a life of service to his country as he had the light to see it.

McCain can be honored for what he did in his life - many great things, nobody can doubt it.

He should have stepped down months ago from his position, he's not capable of representing the people properly right now and I would question his mental state with all the man is going through. I'd think he needs to focus on himself and family .... he's done more for this country than most do, his name won't be forgotten

McCain can be honored for what he did in his life - many great things, nobody can doubt it.

He should have stepped down months ago from his position, he's not capable of representing the people properly right now and I would question his mental state with all the man is going through. I'd think he needs to focus on himself and family .... he's done more for this country than most do, his name won't be forgotten
I haven't heard McCain say anything that made me think he didn't have all of his mental facilities. 

John McCain was the only R I considered voting for in my voting lifetime.  I never once doubted his integrity or that he was doing what he thought was best for the country. 

Alt-rights on my Facebook wall are wishing him death and smearing him this morning.  Can't wait until these guys crawl back under their rocks.

John McCain was the only R I considered voting for in my voting lifetime.  I never once doubted his integrity or that he was doing what he thought was best for the country. 

Alt-rights on my Facebook wall are wishing him death and smearing him this morning.  Can't wait until these guys crawl back under their rocks.
It's like conservatives keep trying to outdo their previous most disgusting behavior. This isn't an isolated case, either. I have seen and heard many people wishing him dead.  This is an American hero who was the Republican candidate for President. And they want him dead because he dared to cast votes for what he thought was the good of the country rather than support a man who he doesn't agree with morally or politically. I keep thinking the GOP has hit rock bottom but they keep proving me wrong.

He had a conscience the whole time.
How about when he gave this interview?

Sen. McCain Says Republicans Will Block All Court Nominations If Clinton Wins

How about six months earlier?

Washington, D.C. – U.S. Senator John McCain (R-AZ) released the following statement today on President Obama naming Merrick Garland, chief judge of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, as his nominee to the Supreme Court:

“This issue is not about any single nominee – it’s about the integrity of the Court. With less than a year left in a lame-duck presidency and the long-term ideological balance of the Supreme Court at stake, I believe the American people must have a voice in the direction of the Supreme Court by electing a new president. The last time the American people spoke, they elected a Republican majority to the Senate to act as a ‘check and balance’ on President Obama’s liberal agenda – a responsibility I cannot ignore. We must allow the people to play a role in selecting the next lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court.”
How about in December of 2017, when he pulled the rare double-flip-flop (the Triple Lindy of legislation), changing his tune about both "regular order" and deficits in one shot? 

Great American hero and it sucks that his life is coming to an end.  We need many, many more like him but unfortunately he seems to be a dying breed.

Yeah and that’s extreme leftists on Twitter are also wishing him death. Further proof that it’s not linear but a circle and the  extreme left and extreme right are the same. 

Great American,lousy pol. Then after the odious stunt the Bush’s played on him he cozied up to them to do Mitt wrong.

great American, been to hell and back but I separate his life before politics and after

Great American,lousy pol. Then after the odious stunt the Bush’s played on him he cozied up to them to do Mitt wrong.

great American, been to hell and back but I separate his life before politics and after
Lousy politician who made it all the way to presidential candidate of your party. He's a great politician. The country desperately needs more like him. He wasn't beholden to a specific party. He was conservative, but voted with his conscience.  Not many like him left. Which is why we're where we are.

I just don't get this at all.  He is a war hero and deserves abundant praise for his lifetime of public service. But his "maverick" reputation and the notion that he acts with integrity is nonsense. He went along with the Obama-era McConnell obstructionism tactic- maybe the most harmful domestic policy of the last couple decades, our current environment of hyper-partisanship and division can be traced fairly easily to it - without a moment's hesitation. And there have been plenty of other moments when he's had a chance to rise above partisanship and stand up for what's important and has almost always failed to do so.  That's why his "no" vote on repealing Obamacare was so noteworthy- it was incredibly unusual and unexpected when you look back at his Senate career. All hat, no cattle.

Yeah and that’s extreme leftists on Twitter are also wishing him death. Further proof that it’s not linear but a circle and the  extreme left and extreme right are the same. 
The Alt-right conspiracy machine is a much much bigger and scarier bloc than whatever passes for the "extreme left" in my opinion.  I get that liberals aren't going to shed any alligator tears for the guy and I have had this argument before with some liberals.  I don't discredit anyone for voting for DJT because they wanted smaller government, reforms, etc.  I am thoroughly disgusted with the out and out lying and conspiracy theory peddling (Jon McCain blew up an aircraft carrier being one thing I saw yes today!) and this appears to me to be almost exclusive domain of the alt-right.

While I'm on this kick of "respectful ranting," a few McCain-Trump connections worth noting. One, Sarah Palin clearly paved the way for Trumpism. Two, I don't think Trump gets elected if Garland had been seated on the Court before the election and as I said before McCain was 100% supportive of the Garland block.  Three, McCain endorsed Trump at first and only pulled his endorsement after the Access Hollywood tapes. If you didn't know what kind of person Trump was before you heard that tape you have some serious issues judging character.

McCain endorsed Trump at first and only pulled his endorsement after the Access Hollywood tapes. 
This isn’t quite accurate. McCain endorsed Trump once he received the nomination. Even then what he said was “I’m voting for the Republican nominee.” Hardly a ringing endorsement; he never appeared with Trump, never spoke on his behalf (unlike his BFF Lindsay). 

McCain, despite his maverick persona, has always been a “I’m loyal to the party” kind of guy. That in itself may be worthy of criticism, but it doesn’t make him a Trump supporter. 

red stripe said:
The Alt-right conspiracy machine is a much much bigger and scarier bloc than whatever passes for the "extreme left" in my opinion.  I get that liberals aren't going to shed any alligator tears for the guy and I have had this argument before with some liberals.  I don't discredit anyone for voting for DJT because they wanted smaller government, reforms, etc.  I am thoroughly disgusted with the out and out lying and conspiracy theory peddling (Jon McCain blew up an aircraft carrier being one thing I saw yes today!) and this appears to me to be almost exclusive domain of the alt-right.
At this moment in time, I mostly agree that the extreme right is more dangerous and more extreme if you will. However, that isn’t always the case. There’s also lots of scary shouting down of ideas on the far left that are pretty bad.

As for anti-McCain stuff, ofcourse far left will revel in the death of an opponent but for the right to turn on a lifelong member of their party, that’s incredible. 

Two, I don't think Trump gets elected if Garland had been seated on the Court before the election and as I said before McCain was 100% supportive of the Garland block.  
I also suspect this is overblown. Despite what people claim, I’m very skeptical that voters go in to the booth thinking about the Supreme Court.  

I think a lot of good decent Republicans voted for Trump because of tribalism, because of Hillary, out of ennui. It’s only afterward, embarrassed by their decision, that they looked around seeking justifications and found one in the Supreme Court. I just don’t think it was a big factor when they actually voted. 

but for the right to turn on a lifelong member of their party, that’s incredible. 
I first noticed this after he won the nomination. Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, Laura Ingraham- they all flipped out, said they couldn’t support him, couldn’t stand him. It was only after Palin was selected that they changed their minds and even then all the support was for her, not him. 

I first noticed this after he won the nomination. Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, Laura Ingraham- they all flipped out, said they couldn’t support him, couldn’t stand him. It was only after Palin was selected that they changed their minds and even then all the support was for her, not him. 
Any ideas why?

I also suspect this is overblown. Despite what people claim, I’m very skeptical that voters go in to the booth thinking about the Supreme Court.  

I think a lot of good decent Republicans voted for Trump because of tribalism, because of Hillary, out of ennui. It’s only afterward, embarrassed by their decision, that they looked around seeking justifications and found one in the Supreme Court. I just don’t think it was a big factor when they actually voted. 
I don't think it's a HUGE deal, but I think you're also forgetting how narrow the margin was in 2016.  Wouldn't have taken many establishment Republicans staying home because the stakes weren't as great to change everything.

This isn’t quite accurate. McCain endorsed Trump once he received the nomination. Even then what he said was “I’m voting for the Republican nominee.” Hardly a ringing endorsement; he never appeared with Trump, never spoke on his behalf (unlike his BFF Lindsay). 

McCain, despite his maverick persona, has always been a “I’m loyal to the party” kind of guy. That in itself may be worthy of criticism, but it doesn’t make him a Trump supporter. 
Good point here. But he could also have gone the Jeff Flake route.

Couple things:

1.  Tim didn't say Free Republic was a representation of "typical Republicans".  He said he believes it to be a good representation of the Republican base.  It's an important distinction that should not be mischaracterized like that.

2.  Are we really questioning the mental capacity of John McCain?  Is there something specific you've seen in his actions post diagnosis that leads you to this opinion or is at simple as "dude has brain cancer.  he's simply not fit" ?  This is probably one of the more ignorant takes unless there are some recent incidents I am unaware of.  I remember observing him during the Clinton questioning and thinking something was way off.  There was...it was a huge tumor pushing against his brain.  Since then?  There is zero indication there is anything wrong with him mentally.

2.  Are we really questioning the mental capacity of John McCain?  Is there something specific you've seen in his actions post diagnosis that leads you to this opinion or is at simple as "dude has brain cancer.  he's simply not fit" ?  This is probably one of the more ignorant takes unless there are some recent incidents I am unaware of.  I remember observing him during the Clinton questioning and thinking something was way off.  There was...it was a huge tumor pushing against his brain.  Since then?  There is zero indication there is anything wrong with him mentally.
I'm guessing for Trump supporters if you don't comply with everything Trump wants that's an example of McCain not being fit to serve.

Any ideas why?
It started with campaign finance reform, and then running against Bush in 2000. But if I had to list one issue over all the rest, it’s immigration. McCain has the old school Reaganesque view on this; he doesn’t see undocumented immigrants as villains. He wants some kind of amnesty. 

Are we really questioning the mental capacity of John McCain?  Is there something specific you've seen in his actions post diagnosis that leads you to this opinion or is at simple as "dude has brain cancer.  he's simply not fit" ?  This is probably one of the more ignorant takes unless there are some recent incidents I am unaware of.  I remember observing him during the Clinton questioning and thinking something was way off.  There was...it was a huge tumor pushing against his brain.  Since then?  There is zero indication there is anything wrong with him mentally.
I'm not questioning his mental capacity, but if I were, I'd point to his line of questioning toward the end of the Comey hearing. It was super weird.

ETA: I don't remember whether that was before or after his diagnosis.

Couple things:

1.  Tim didn't say Free Republic was a representation of "typical Republicans".  He said he believes it to be a good representation of the Republican base.  It's an important distinction that should not be mischaracterized like that.
Seems like a distinction without a difference.   It is a very sad commentary at what goes on at internet sites like that, but FreeRepublic is a representation of a pretty extreme wing of the right.  Trying to broadly generalize that represents Trump's base is far fetched.   Most people, including most Trump supporters, are not that wrapped up in politics to have that kind of anger.

JuniorNB said:
It's like conservatives keep trying to outdo their previous most disgusting behavior. This isn't an isolated case, either. I have seen and heard many people wishing him dead.  This is an American hero who was the Republican candidate for President. And they want him dead because he dared to cast votes for what he thought was the good of the country rather than support a man who he doesn't agree with morally or politically. I keep thinking the GOP has hit rock bottom but they keep proving me wrong.
It's not just conservatives.  A bunch of people on the left disgraced themselves when Scalia died, including a few folks on this board.  

It can't be healthy to walk around with that level of hatred for other human beings.  But these sorts of deaths always seem to bring out the worst posters.

Couple things:

Seems like a distinction without a difference.   It is a very sad commentary at what goes on at internet sites like that, but FreeRepublic is a representation of a pretty extreme wing of the right.  Trying to broadly generalize that represents Trump's base is far fetched.   Most people, including most Trump supporters, are not that wrapped up in politics to have that kind of anger.
The base is shrinking more and more to the extreme.  A LOT of people have bailed and no longer associate with the party.  It's certainly not a distinction without a difference.  We see that difference on display at this very site.

I'm not questioning his mental capacity, but if I were, I'd point to his line of questioning toward the end of the Comey hearing. It was super weird.

ETA: I don't remember whether that was before or after his diagnosis.
That was just prior....and what I was referring to....sorry, I said it was the Hillary hearings.  I was wrong.

Honestly Tim after Obama’s first term it is now, and has been, my first consideration when placing my vote.  The stagnation of any progress due to Congress and the Senate being so partisan has made me feel the power of the presidency is diminished.  The courts hold sway far more for long-term decisions and actions. Just my opinion of course but I absolutely strongly consider the Supreme Court nominations when casting my vote.  

I think a good chunk of people vote just based on the SC- especially the strong pro life crowd. That is how they reach their goal of overturning Roe v Wade.

Honestly Tim after Obama’s first term it is now, and has been, my first consideration when placing my vote.  The stagnation of any progress due to Congress and the Senate being so partisan has made me feel the power of the presidency is diminished.  The courts hold sway far more for long-term decisions and actions. Just my opinion of course but I absolutely strongly consider the Supreme Court nominations when casting my vote.  
If it isn't near the top of one's considerations, it should be. 

JuniorNB said:
Whatever.  McCain talks a big game, but he's voted with Trump WAY more than he's opposed him.  I don't wish him dead, but I won't shed a tear for the man that brought us Sarah Palin.  

Whatever.  McCain talks a big game, but he's voted with Trump WAY more than he's opposed him.  I don't wish him dead, but I won't shed a tear for the man that brought us Sarah Palin.  
Not having empathy for a dying human being because of political differences is a pretty sad state.   In the scheme of things, it is not all that important unless they are truly evil.  In general, our politicians do not fall into that category including Sarah Palin.  

While I'm on this kick of "respectful ranting," a few McCain-Trump connections worth noting. One, Sarah Palin clearly paved the way for Trumpism. Two, I don't think Trump gets elected if Garland had been seated on the Court before the election and as I said before McCain was 100% supportive of the Garland block.  Three, McCain endorsed Trump at first and only pulled his endorsement after the Access Hollywood tapes. If you didn't know what kind of person Trump was before you heard that tape you have some serious issues judging character.
McCain is no saint. He hated Romney, hated him because he didn’t drink,swear & was still married to his first and only wife

No bigger myth permeates corporate media’s love affair with McCain than the image of him as a “champion of human rights.” Those pushing this trope routinely ignore the fact that McCain has been among the biggest champions of, among others, human rights–abusing Israel and Saudi Arabia. McCain has repeatedly shielded Israel from criticism, even going to the mat to defend its bloody 2014 bombing of Gaza that left 1,500 civilians dead, including over 500 children, which McCain described as “admirable” in its “restraint.”

“Thank god for the Saudis,” McCain told CNN that same year, about a country that routinely executes scores of people annually, for “crimes” ranging from political protest to adultery to sorcery. McCain—along with his longtime pro-war friend Lindsey Graham—was crucial to blocking efforts to cut off arms sales to Saudi Arabia as it carried out a brutal bombing and blockade of Yemen, the poorest country in the Arab world—causing over 10,000 civilian deaths and upwards of a million cases of cholera.

To Hiatt, none of this merits mention. Nor does McCain’s aggressive lobbying for the Iraq War, which killed between 500,000–1 million Iraqi civilians—a war McCain pushed for so aggressively that he went on network television to push the lie that Saddam Hussein was behind the 2002 anthrax attacks. Likewise unmentioned were McCain threatening North Korea with “extinction” (FAIR.org, 9/12/17), or his jocular threat to “bomb-bomb Iran.” Of course Hiatt doesn’t remember McCain’s support for the murderous Nicaraguan Contras—the lawmaker was on the board of the US Council for World Freedom, a far-right group that was part of the illegal Iran/Contra network—or his votes against sanctions on apartheid South Africa.

McCain doesn’t, of course, care about “human rights”; he cares about using the language of human rights to sell US hegemony to credulous centrist and liberal pundits. He mysteriously cares about the plight of those in Russia or Libya or Iraq when their country’s leaders are targets of US hard or soft power, but is suddenly silent on the US and its allies’ wars of aggression, bombing campaigns and use of hunger as a weapon of war. Indeed, the “McCain Institute,” which Hiatt praises as giving “shelter in Washington and Arizona to democratic activists” around the globe, received a million-dollar donation from the mass-executing absolute Saudi monarchy last year.

https://fair.org/home/the-two-main-ways-corporate-media-will-whitewash-mccains-legacy/

I think a good chunk of people vote just based on the SC- especially the strong pro life crowd. That is how they reach their goal of overturning Roe v Wade.
Yeah I noticed it was a top priority for Trump.  I'm sure they'll get right on that, right after looting the nation's treasury.  

Not having empathy for a dying human being because of political differences is a pretty sad state.   In the scheme of things, it is not all that important unless they are truly evil.  In general, our politicians do not fall into that category including Sarah Palin.  
Except for that guy at the top...and Nunez.

I'll always remember John McCain for selling endless war to the American public, leveraging his status as a veteran to normalize violent military campaigns, and being hailed as a human rights champion for it.  There was no number of troops John wasn't willing to send off to go die in a war.  No amount of human life he wasn't willing to sacrifice for money and power.  No military atrocity too deranged for him to lend a sympathetic POW face to.  

There's little I find more contemptible than that.  

I'll always remember John McCain for selling endless war to the American public, leveraging his status as a veteran to normalize violent military campaigns, and being hailed as a human rights champion for it.  There was no number of troops John wasn't willing to send off to go die in a war.  No amount of human life he wasn't willing to sacrifice for money and power.  No military atrocity too deranged for him to lend a sympathetic POW face to.  

There's little I find more contemptible than that.  
Where this "McCain is a saint" talk comes from I don't know.  It's certainly not reflected in his voting record.  

There are very few people here that I regard as representative of the general voting public. Certainly not you.

Consider that a compliment.

timschochet said:
Quite simply: I will change my opinion of the Republican Party when they stand up and oppose Trump whenever he acts against the time honored principles of the Republican Party. 
tim, have you entertained the thought that perhaps Trump is a result of those time honored principles of the Republican Party/modern conservaticism?  

The base is shrinking more and more to the extreme.  A LOT of people have bailed and no longer associate with the party.  It's certainly not a distinction without a difference.  We see that difference on display at this very site.
Is there any data to support this?  Last I checked, Trump's approval ratings amongst Republicans was between 85-90%.

Besides a couple of high profile folks like George Will and Joe Scarborough leaving the party, I think most Republicans came home, voted Trump, and remain with the Party today.

It's not just conservatives.  A bunch of people on the left disgraced themselves when Scalia died, including a few folks on this board.  
I don't remember if I disgraced myself, but my law school renamed itself after Scalia shortly after his death, so karma got me back.  

Users who are viewing this thread