What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Please Read - "Who's Hottest?" Type Threads - And An Apology (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Hi Folks,

I want to let you know about a change I've made for the boards. One I'm guessing will not be popular with some.

We will no longer have the "Who's Hottest" type threads. That means the polls or the threads where the intent is basically posting pictures of women and guys talk about the women.

This is not the result of any incident or drama. It's something I've thought about for a while. Well before the recent #MeToo events. 

I'm not mad at anyone and nobody's in trouble. It just finally hit me today that these aren't something we want on the boards. And it's not an issue of moderating and taking out the offensive posts. The entire idea of the thread is something we don't want to have. 

And I'm sure there will be people who don't like this change. As I've always said here, I'm not sure our way is the right way. But it's the way we're going to do it. If an FFA without the "Who's Hottest?" threads isn't an FFA you want to be part of, I fully understand. 

And I realize this policy is super tame (or lame depending on your perspective) compared to the rest of the internet. No argument from me. I totally get it. I don't have any say in the rest of the internet. But this is my house here and I do have say in that.

Which leads me to the second part. I apologize. I stood by and let the threads go on. And the buck stops with me. I'm responsible. We're a country that does things. And sometimes people do things that are wrong. But I believe it can be just as wrong not doing something and allowing something to happen. I did that here with those threads and I'm sorry. 

Thanks for being part of Footballguys. And thanks for helping make the boards what they are.

J

Joe Bryant

Owner - Footballguys

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn I wish I still had the PM from Holy Joe where he defended the existence of these threads as "exactly what this board is about"
I don't recall ever saying that but anything is possible. It's true those threads were once a more prominent part of the board. Under my watch. And for that, I apologize. 

Is it that one woman is being judged to be more physically attractive than another the overriding issue here, or is it the comments that ensue hat have moved you in this direction? 

By furthering the belief that looks are more important than an individuals ideology, personality and accomplishments  is a step above bullying, fat shaming etc. Judging on looks is pretty low in the development scale. Joe has had a great site since cheatsheet days and wants to keep it above high school lockerroom level. Way to show growth and decency for all people not necessarily your core audience. Props to you Joe!!!

Which leads me to the second part. I apologize. I stood by and let the threads go on. And the buck stops with me. I'm responsible. We're a country that does things. And sometimes people do things that are wrong. But I believe it can be just as wrong not doing something and allowing something to happen. I did that here with those threads and I'm sorry. 

Thanks for being part of Footballguys. And thanks for helping make the boards what they are.

J

Joe Bryant

Owner - Footballguys
This part slays me. It's akin to the "it's not you; it's me" break up tactic as misdirection. The only person you're apologizing to is yourself.

In any case..... your board, your rules. It's not a big deal to me. My enjoyment of this community won't decrease if they are not there anymore.

This part slays me. It's akin to the "it's not you; it's me" break up tactic as misdirection. The only person you're apologizing to is yourself.

In any case..... your board, your rules. It's not a big deal to me. My enjoyment of this community won't decrease if they are not there anymore.
Thanks UH. I disgree. I think when a mistake is made, the right thing to do is apologize to the people involved. I made a mistake allowing these to go on. And I apologized. 

Thanks UH. I disgree. I think when a mistake is made, the right thing to do is apologize to the people involved. I made a mistake allowing these to go on. And I apologized. 
Yeah, but I doubt that letting them go on and then disallowing them is worthy of an apology to your members. What's the big deal to us? I think you're pissed that you let it go on against your better judgement.

I don't think you're wrong for doing this (I actually think it's right). And I don't think you'll see a bunch of outrage over losing the content itself. 

This isn't a case of you misjudging something like you did with that music draft a few months ago. You misread what was happening there and, rightly, got called out on it.

Banning "who's hottest threads" isn't like that

I retired from the threads awhile ago (maybe in a drunk weak moment I voted or commented recently, but I mostly retired)

1. How old were some of those girls? Often could have been bordering on teenage girls. For a board where the average age is likely mid 40s, that is creepy. 

2. Lots of the comments on the pictures were crude or mean

3. The hot or not thing is lowest common denominator stuff

4. Most of the pictures weren't professional models but just women who took pictures with their friends. Pulling these off FB or IG or wherever they came from and rating them is definitely not cool. 

This is not the result of any incident or drama. It's something I've thought about for a while. Well before the recent #MeToo events. 

And the buck stops with me. I'm responsible. We're a country that does things. And sometimes people do things that are wrong.
Can you unpack the reasoning? I’m not criticizing I just think you’re making an implicit moral statement, but maybe you should say it. 

Yeah, but I doubt that letting them go on and then disallowing them is worthy of an apology to your members. What's the big deal to us? I think you're pissed that you let it go on against your better judgement.

I don't think you're wrong for doing this (I actually think it's right). And I don't think you'll see a bunch of outrage over losing the content itself. 

This isn't a case of you misjudging something like you did with that music draft a few months ago. You misread what was happening there and, rightly, got called out on it.

Banning "who's hottest threads" isn't like that
Thanks. You're right for sure, this isn't like the music thing where I misjudged what was happening. This was something I saw, thought was wrong, and didn't do anything. And not doing anything is wrong there. But I hear you. Thanks.

Can you unpack the reasoning? I’m not criticizing I just think you’re making an implicit moral statement, but maybe you should say it. 
Hi Saints,

I don't think there's a lot to unpack. I didn't like how the threads objectified women. And I didn't like where many of them went with the comments. But again, it's not about moderating the comments as the threads themselves aren't something I wanted to have. Does that help?

Hi Saints,

I don't think there's a lot to unpack. I didn't like how the threads objectified women. And I didn't like where many of them went with the comments. But again, it's not about moderating the comments as the threads themselves aren't something I wanted to have. Does that help?

Yep that’s great. Always thanks for your responses.

I'm sure I'll ponder this for a while and come to this conclusion, but right now I can't help but find some comedic value in the recent enlightenment taking more than a decade to occur. 
I think there is even a spot in the FFA faq pinned at the top of the forum which talks about making sure posters include pics in the whose hottest threads :)  

I will miss those threads.  They were fun, entertaining, and (usually) in positive spirits, if at times a bit over the line.

That said, this is a good move. 

That's not to say there isn't a place for appreciating a fine looking human specimen, but we've evolved past the point where the sole purpose of objectifying others purely based on physicality should be openly promoted in a more 'family appropriate' environment.

Perhaps if the board were more mixed gender and there was some feedback and a counter to a bunch of guys just ogling chicks, it would be different (maybe that is why a place like say, the Chive might have similar 'threads' or topics, but the context is different).

Bummed to see them go, but glad to be part of a community that is willing to try and be a little better.

This was something I saw, thought was wrong, and didn't do anything. And not doing anything is wrong there. But I hear you. Thanks.
Of course, when you saw how terribly wrong it was that some of us may not already have mothers and had developed wayward manners, no mention at all. No "do we really want to be doing this?" no "whaddya think?", no respect. Wipe the board, smite the hand that offend thee. Thx again.....

Users who are viewing this thread