What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Panic for a TE? (1 Viewer)

TheBottomLine

Footballguy
League is 10-team PPR Best Ball.  We start QRRWWWT W/R K.   We also have deep rosters.  

I finished first in points last year before an unlucky elimination in the playoffs.  I like my roster a lot, but I hate my TEs.  Here is what I have:

QB:    (Start 1)                            RB:       (Start 2-3)                                 WR:     (Start 3-4)              TE:   (Start 1-2)

Rodgers                                     David Johnson/Edmonds (ARI)             OBJ                                    OJ Howard     

Trubisky                                     Kamara/Ingram/Scott (NO)                    Keenan                              Austin Hooper

Alex Smith                                  Melvin Gordon                                      Adams                                Adam Shaheen

Shady McCoy                                       Thielen                                Dallas Goedert

Collins/Allen/Dixon (BAL)                     ARob                                   Mark Andrews

Sammy

Crabtree

Robby A

Chris Godwin

Anthony Miller

John Ross

Basically, would you look to flip a 2019 2nd (Would be my own, so probably in the 2.08-2.10 range, also have a separate 2019 2nd that should be early) for a TE?  I've reached out to the owners of Burton, Rudolph, and Kittle, and have received some interest there.  Do I do what I have to do to shore up my TEs with this championship or bust roster?  Or, would you stay patient since it is just a start-one TE league with no TE premium and these guys will do enough to get me by most weeks?  Being best ball does help, so if Shaheen is more of just a red zone guy or if OJ is TD-dependent as well, I don't have to guess one to start each week.  I just don't think any of my TEs will be getting much volume, and that has me worried.  

I think you'd be fine with Howard. Rudolph is interesting b/c Cousins like to use his TE or at least that's how the playing calling went in WAS. 

I agree that you need a TE that has the upside with volume. Dallas is stuck behind Ertz, and Mark/Dallas being rookies are unlikely to produce. Howard still has Brate who just signed a 6 year deal. Shaheen is stuck with Burton. Hooper has upside if he continues to develop with Ryan. 

I like the idea of going after Kittle and Rudolph. A second for either of those, if you can get that deal done, is worth it in my book. 

An alternative would be to move a WR with age and risk, aka Crabtree. You do not need him with all the talent and youth on your team. You may even get a pick plus TE in return for Crabtree. 

I would definitely try and get a higher floor TE so that you aren't getting shut out if your upside guys (Howard, Shaheen) get shutout.  I would look for someone with more volume potential but Rudolph/Kittle might be good enough there.  I would lean Rudolph over Kittle.  I have no problem giving up a 2nd rounder for either of those but like the idea snoochie mentioned in moving a WR.  You have 6 deep with big boom guys for your 5/6 spots so a guy like Crabtree really has no use for you. 

Why are you carrying 5 TE's in a non TE premium league? That's just nuts.  If you want to go after another one I'd go after Burton or Rudolph but they really aren't that much better than some of the guys you already have. With 2 aging QB's on your roster I would be making it a priority to add some younger depth at that position rather than worrying about your TE. I'd lose Shaheen and Andrews and pick up anyone you can at QB or RB even if they had little chance of contributing to your team this year.

beerbuff said:
Why are you carrying 5 TE's in a non TE premium league? That's just nuts.  If you want to go after another one I'd go after Burton or Rudolph but they really aren't that much better than some of the guys you already have. With 2 aging QB's on your roster I would be making it a priority to add some younger depth at that position rather than worrying about your TE. I'd lose Shaheen and Andrews and pick up anyone you can at QB or RB even if they had little chance of contributing to your team this year.
It says deep rosters.  We carry 58 guys on each roster.  Those guys are not even close to being drops.  And I have 5 because I feel confident about exactly 0 of them, so being best ball, I will likely carry 4/5 into the season.  

It says deep rosters.  We carry 58 guys on each roster.  Those guys are not even close to being drops.  And I have 5 because I feel confident about exactly 0 of them, so being best ball, I will likely carry 4/5 into the season.  
It doesn't matter how deep, when you only have to start 1 TE, 5 is way too many especially when you only have 3 QB's on your roster and 2 of them only have a couple of years left.

It doesn't matter how deep, when you only have to start 1 TE, 5 is way too many especially when you only have 3 QB's on your roster and 2 of them only have a couple of years left.
It does matter.  So I should drop for a 3rd string QB that has a .00000001% chance of ever making an impact?  Not like Lamar Jackson is chilling on the waiver wire.  This is water under the bridge and not even the discussion here.  

It does matter.  So I should drop for a 3rd string QB that has a .00000001% chance of ever making an impact?  Not like Lamar Jackson is chilling on the waiver wire.  This is water under the bridge and not even the discussion here.  
You asked, I answered. I would much rather have a guy like JT Barrett on my roster than TE's that will never make a difference.

Yes, and looking at your roster you are too thin at QB with aging players and have a lot of guys at TE that will probably never help you.
In a best ball there is more chance one of those TE's will have a playable score a few weeks for the year then a back up QB that will never see the field.  His QB's are fine for the time being but is a position he should be looking into adding depth.  Acquiring one of the rookie QB's would be a good idea depending on the price ( I wouldn't overpay but I might pay close to the actual value). 

I think a late 2nd for Rudolph/Kittle/Burton is probably fine, but I'd try and see if they'd do it for a 3rd if you can (unless you've already offered 2nd).  And I'd rank them in that order personally.  

Any chance you could try and do a 2nd plus a WR (Crab or Watkins) for a Jimmy Graham or Greg Olsen type?  You've got plenty of WR depth, I'd try a player + a pick package type deal and go for a bigger TE.  

In a best ball there is more chance one of those TE's will have a playable score a few weeks for the year then a back up QB that will never see the field.  His QB's are fine for the time being but is a position he should be looking into adding depth.  Acquiring one of the rookie QB's would be a good idea depending on the price ( I wouldn't overpay but I might pay close to the actual value). 
In a win it now scenario I agree with the TE's helping him a couple of weeks a year, but from a long term multi season perspective he is too vulnerable and thin at QB. I think he'd be smarter to either back up his QB's with their reserves if available, or other younger QB reserves that may or may not help him this year but who could be valuable to him 1-2-3 years from now. Plus there are a number of UDFA's that probably aren't on rosters that are worth gambles on in such a deep league that are probably better than some of the scab TE's, i.e. QB's JT Barrett, Nic Shimonek or Chase Litton, I'd even also take the gamble on some of the other UDFA's that are in pretty good situations such as RB's Josh Adams, Martez Carter or Philip Lindsay, WR's Allen Lazard, Robert Foster, and TE David Wells, all of which could make their teams and who all have the potential to be starters at some point in their careers.

Users who are viewing this thread