What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will They, Will They Rock Us? (1 Viewer)

Rarely go to the theater for other than big visual effects movies anymore.

Might make an exception for this.   :thumbup:

I wonder if some of the live stuff will be original, obviously (hopefully?) the singing will be.

Agree with GR, this one needs to be seen on a big screen (IMAX) with great sound.

My only hesitation with this is that Sasha Baron Cohen quit the role because he said it was too sanitized and they were afraid to get deeper into his life story.

Looks good though.

My only hesitation with this is that Sasha Baron Cohen quit the role because he said it was too sanitized and they were afraid to get deeper into his life story.

Looks good though.
You wonder if people who leave a project describe it in a poor way, just because they're not in it. Not that he has, you just wonder...

Looks good though.
i read that SBC wanted to have Freddie's character die of AIDS about halfway through the film, and then the remainder would be how the surviving members carried on.

Brian May wasn't having it, [paraphrasing] "Who's going to go see a movie where the main character dies in the middle?" 

i'll see if i can find the article. 

i read that SBC wanted to have Freddie's character die of AIDS about halfway through the film, and then the remainder would be how the surviving members carried on.

Brian May wasn't having it, [paraphrasing] "Who's going to go see a movie where the main character dies in the middle?" 

i'll see if i can find the article. 
nope. i've got it all backwards. SBC wanted a more "R" rated film, while the band was looking for more of a "PG" theme. also, it was a member of the band that suggested Mercury's character dies in the middle: 

"Baron Cohen told Stern that he and the surviving members of Queen didn’t see eye to eye on the project’s tone, as the band wanted a PG-rated look at Mercury’s legacy, while Baron Cohen planned a grittier, R-rated drama that fully explored Mercury’s wild lifestyle — complete with all the sex, drugs, and rock ‘n roll.

“The problem is — and I think it’s with any biopic, and I fully understand why Queen wanted to do this — if you’re in control of your rights and your life story, why wouldn’t you depict yourself as great as possible?” Baron Cohen said.

Not only did the band members not agree on the film’s proposed rating, but they had a specific vision of the biopic’s narrative structure, too. Mercury died in 1991 at the age of 45 due to complications from AIDS, and Baron Cohen told Stern that an unnamed member of Queen wanted Mercury’s death to happen somewhere in the middle of the movie, with the second half focusing on how the band forged on in the aftermath of Mercury’s loss.

“I said, ‘Listen, not one person is going to see a movie where the lead character dies from AIDS and then you see the band carry on,’” Baron Cohen said."

link to full article

tossing aside the interest of SBC - whose instincts are among the most singular in entertainment & who could probably have sung a good bit of it - is NOT a good sign. did not know that

Was my first concert ever...tour '80. Amazing.

But when reading the review in the paper the next day, I had to ask my mom- who I had begged for weeks to see the show- what the word "phallus" meant.

Just as a reminder that Brian May decided to retire from that to become an astrophysicist.  He also works for animal rights.  You don't find too many renaissance men around any longer, but this dude is definitely one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just as a reminder that Brian May decided to retire from that to become an astrophysicist.  He also works for animal rights.  You don't find too many renaissance men around any longer, but this dude is definitely one.
Didn't know that. Thanks for the info, Ded. 

Yup, safe to say he's no dummy. From Wiki:

Code:
May studied physics and mathematics at Imperial College London, graduating with a BSc (Hons) degree and ARCS in physics with Upper Second-Class Honours. From 1970 to 1974, he studied for a PhD[1] degree at Imperial College, studying reflected light from interplanetary dust and the velocity of dust in the plane of the Solar System. When Queen started to have international success in 1974, he abandoned his doctoral studies, but co-authored two peer reviewed research papers,[120][121]which were based on his observations at the Teide Observatory in Tenerife.

In October 2006, May re-registered for his PhD at Imperial College and submitted his thesis in August 2007 (one year earlier than he estimated it would take to complete). As well as writing up the previous work he had done, May had to review the work on zodiacal dust undertaken during the intervening 33 years, which included the discovery of the zodiacal dust bands by NASA's IRAS satellite. After a viva voce, the revised thesis (titled A Survey of Radial Velocities in the Zodiacal Dust Cloud)[1]was approved in September 2007, some 37 years after it had been commenced.[122][123][124][21][125] He was able to submit his thesis only because of the minimal amount of research on the topic during the intervening years and has described the subject as one that became "trendy" again in the 2000s. His PhD investigated radial velocity using absorption spectroscopy and doppler spectroscopy of zodiacal light using a Fabry–Pérot interferometer based at the Teide Observatory in Tenerife. His research was initially supervised by Jim Ring,[2] Ken Reay[2] and in the latter stages by Michael Rowan-Robinson.[1] He graduated at the awards ceremony of Imperial College held in the Royal Albert Hall on 14 May 2008.[citation needed]

In October 2007, May was appointed a Visiting Researcher in Imperial College and continues his interest in astronomy and involvement with the Imperial Astrophysics Group.

He is co-author, with Sir Patrick Moore and Chris Lintott, of Bang! – The Complete History of the Universe[126][127] and The Cosmic Tourist.[128]

Asteroid 52665 Brianmay was named in his honour on 18 June 2008 on the suggestion of Sir Patrick Moore (probably influenced by the asteroid's provisional designation of 1998 BM30).[97][129]

In 2014, May co-founded Asteroid Day with Apollo 9 astronaut Rusty Schweickart, B612 Foundation COO Danica Remy and German filmmaker Grigorij Richters. Asteroid Day is a global awareness campaign where people from around the world come together to learn about asteroids and what we can do to protect our planet.[130]

May appeared on the 700th episode of The Sky at Night hosted by Sir Patrick Moore, along with Chris Lintott, Jon Culshaw, Prof. Brian Cox, and the Astronomer Royal Martin Rees who on departing the panel, told Brian May, who was joining it, "I don't know a scientist who looks as much like Isaac Newton as you do".[131] May was also a guest on the first episode of the third series of the BBC's Stargazing Live, on 8 January 2013.

On 17 November 2007, May was appointed Chancellor of Liverpool John Moores University,[132] and installed in 2008.[133] He held the post until 2013.[131]

During the New Horizons Pluto flyby NASA press conference held on 17 July 2015 at Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab, Brian May was introduced as a science team collaborator. He told the panel "You have inspired the world."[134][135]

ChiefD said:
The one band I truly regret not being able to see in concert. 
Had my chance when I was 14 but my Mom wouldn't let me go. I was a Freshman in HS and one of my best neighborhood friends was a Senior and asked if I wanted to go. He had 4 tix with two of his other friends going (also Seniors). Ask my Mom and she shut it down quick. The reasons given were:

1. She didn't know the other two guys and wasn't keen with me going to a concert with two other guys that she didn't know who were Seniors in HS
  2. I live in Cincinnati the Who tragedy was less than a year prior. I tried to tell her that the Queen concert wasn't festival seating but it fell on deaf ears.
Still pissed about missing that show to this day.  :rant:

I did finally at least get the chance to see them with Paul Rodgers in 2006. Fantastic show. Also giving some consideration to flying out to Vegas to see them on their residency tour in September.

Had my chance when I was 14 but my Mom wouldn't let me go.
Same here, but was a bit younger when I wanted to see them in 1980. Instead, I played the crap out of Live Killers - probably the most listened to album of my youth.

Did see these guys recently - about as close as you'll get to the real thing.

Saw it last nite in the IMAX. I was looking forward to this flick more than any other I can remember. The trailer moved me. I only wish the movie did too. It was ok, I'll give it about a 6.5. I had read reviews that this was a Queen movie and not a Freddie movie. I'm not sure I agree with this. 

The flow and pace seemed choppy. I would have liked to see more band in action scenes. The music is great and sounded fantastic but there were just too many scenes that dragged with FM oggling gay guys. When his pet cats are stealing scenes there is something wrong here. Rami was pretty good, I wonder how originally cast Sacha Baron Cohen would have stood up.

Folks leaving the theater were singing their favorite songs, so I think others may have enjoyed it more than me. Still very worth seeing.

The early reviews have me a bit concerned.  "Paint-by-numbers" was a comment that stuck with me. In other words, nothing new, nothing risked, just a generic biopic showing stuff we already know. I'm still in, just a bit concerned.  I'll add that I was lucky to see this band when I was a teenager ("The Game" tour), but unfortunately it was so long ago and I was so stoned out of my mind that, while I remember having a great night, I can't say much else about it.

I learned that apparently Brian May has to look at what he’s playing on the guitar, every shot has him bent over looking closely at his fingers 

Seriously though as someone who bought those Queen records in the 70’s it was a nice film. I did learn quite a bit and left saddened all over again at Freddie’s death.

Did every rock band have a star that goes solo for the big $? Is there leach parasitic mgt and record execs ripping off the artists in every deal? This movie fits the formula.

Users who are viewing this thread