What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Daurice Fountain 2018 dynasty - 4th rounder sleeper special (1 Viewer)

bicycle_seat_sniffer

Smells like chicken
Well all four of my dynasty/keeper rookie drafts are over...and there is a player I targeted in the fourth round of every league that I can stash on a taxi squad......

two of the leagues have infinite taxi.....so he's worth a super stash.

Daurice Fountain - WR - (Northern Iowa) Indianapolis Colts -  22nd pick in the 5th round (159 overall)

Picks I used  on him - 4.11/ 4.04/4.07

Taken by the colts before Deon Cain - WR - Clemson & RB Jordan Wilkins

Pro day Results:

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/northern-iowa/uni-panthers/2018/03/26/daurice-fountain-nfl-draft-pro-day-northern-iowa/459935002/

His strong pro day showing — a vertical (42.5 inches) and broad jump (11 feet, 2 inches) that would’ve been tops among wide receivers at the combine, and a 40-yard time (4.46 seconds)

youtube highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyuJBcZ-rCE

East/west shrine highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc5G9UNSnVk

East/West Shrine game:

Offensive MVP - went 3 for 61 and two punts for 40 yards.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2755116-2018-east-west-shrine-game-matt-millers-biggest-takeaways#slide1

I received the most texts about Northern Illinois' Daurice Fountain all week. At 6'1 ⅝" and 210 pounds, Fountain has the size everyone wants at wide receiver (not to mention 34.5-inch arm length) and dominated practices with that size and precise route running.

Once the Fountain love started, I went back and looked at my notes on him and reviewed more film. He has excellent burst up the field and has the wheels to run away from NFL defensive backs. Scouts saw that all week and raved about his play. It's not hyperbole to say Fountain left St. Petersburg as the biggest riser of the process.

On my board, Fountain was ranked as a late Day 3 player headed into the week. He could leave as a middle-rounder.

Strength and Weakness from NFL.com profile:

Strengths

·                                 Explosive athlete

·                                 State champion hurdler and long jumper in high school

·                                 Crosses up slot corners with effective outside-in release

·                                 Accelerates quickly leaving defenders playing catch up

·                                 Plays with a bounding energy in space

·                                 Pushes hard up the field to set up stop routes

·                                 After separating on vertical routes, uses clever off-hand push when ball comes out to keep the window as wide as possible

·                                 Shows off explosive leaping ability when climbing the ladder on jump balls

·                                 Mid-air adjustments come easily

·                                 Flashed physical ability to make acrobatic finishes

·                                 Always knows where the first down marker is

·                                 Capable playmaker after the catch

Weaknesses

·                                 Had games where he just disappeared

·                                 Level of cornerback play in his conference was subpar

·                                 Needs to improve release angle against press to survive in NFL

·                                 Relies on explosiveness over technique as route-runner

·                                 Looks like a step-counter

·                                 Needs excessive settle steps to stop and open on some intermediate routes

·                                 Ball skills are below average

·                                 Picks the deep ball up too late and struggles to win 50/50 balls due to mistimed leaps

·                                 Has unorthodox running style with feet swinging way outside of his frame when turning in space

Last edited by a moderator:
With the injury to Cain he could very well end up #3 and a very good sleeper, especially since he's being picked off the waiver wire in my leagues.

JohnnyU said:
With the injury to Cain he could very well end up #3 and a very good sleeper, especially since he's being picked off the waiver wire in my leagues.
Little surprised there has been almost no mention of him at all this camp......hoping they dont want to let the cat out of the bag....

He must really be raw for them to keep him on the practice squad...pascal is playing over him and they signed dontrell inman to play over him when marcus johnson got injured....

Pascal was dreadful 2 weeks ago, not sure how he looked this past week though.  I'm kind of shocked they haven't activated him from the PS or anything yet with the capital they drafted him with.  

Colts placed WR Daurice Fountain (undisclosed) on the active/NFI list.

DE Carroll Phillips was placed on active/PUP. Fountain was taken in the fifth round of last year's draft and played just seven offensive snaps as a rookie, seeing zero targets. He faces an uphill battle to make the roster.

Jul 22, 2019, 10:50 AM ET

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/08/indianapolis-colts-daurice-fountain-preseason-buffalo-bills/

Daurice Fountain paces Colts WRs in preseason opener

The Indianapolis Colts may have dropped the preseason opener Thursday night against the Buffalo Bills at New Era Field, but there were some bright spots—including wide receiver Daurice Fountain.

Needing a big showing over the next month, Fountain started on the right track Thursday night by pacing the wide receiver corps in targets (seven), receptions (five) and receiving yards (63).

Though he didn’t get in the game until the second half, Fountain likely made his voice heard with the strong performance. He was Chad Kelly’s favorite target of the evening, showing the ability to get open and make some contested catches.

In such a deep wide receiver room, there were plenty of opportunities for players to have a big night. Deon Cain and Marcus Johnson flashed some big plays, but it was Fountain that was constantly getting open and moving the chains.

With three of the wide receiver spots already taken by T.Y. Hilton, Devin Funchess and Parris Campbell, there are a handful of players vying for the final two or three roles in the room. Though some of that will be determined by special teams, Fountain showed he’s making strides with his development to become a more complete wide receiver.

The wide receiver competition will continue to be a battle throughout training camp and the preseason games, and Fountain just entered his name into the hat with a strong start Thursday night.

Really liked him last year. Now with all the depth and Cain probably being viewed higher than him, I don’t know. Easy for a 5th rounder to flop out of the NFL. Rogers, Pascal and Cain behind Hilton, Funchess and Campbell plus contending with a litany of hyper athletic or productive past and present UDFA’s.

I believe he gets lost in the pack.  He looked awful last year with limited work, showing bad hands.   I suppose he could surprise however. 

I believe he gets lost in the pack.  He looked awful last year with limited work, showing bad hands.   I suppose he could surprise however. 
i don't have much confidence in Funchess over the course of the season, honestly. Cain probably has a better chance of slipping into the starting rotation than Fountain. 

The Colts seem to be really hyping up their WRs this offseason..  Somehow Funchess is the unquestioned starter, but Cain, Fountain and Campbell are all impressing and putting up huge camps?  

If things keep going this way the Colts will have 4 All Pro WRs.  Cain is even going to be a household name so I'm told. 

i don't have much confidence in Funchess over the course of the season, honestly. Cain probably has a better chance of slipping into the starting rotation than Fountain. 
I think Luck is going to make Funchess look better than Newton ever did, but generally I agree that Cain will have an opening eventually.  The wildcard is Campbell.   I hope he develops as a WR and is more than just a deep threat.  I predict Chester Rodgers won't be on the team after this season.

I think Luck is going to make Funchess look better than Newton ever did, but generally I agree that Cain will have an opening eventually.  The wildcard is Campbell.   I hope he develops as a WR and is more than just a deep threat.  I predict Chester Rodgers won't be on the team after this season.
Luck and this offense can put him in position because it's just that good. Funchess is a less a WR, imo, and more an athlete. He's just not that good. Cain should get opportunities along with Fountain. Funchess is a different skillset, for sure, but those guys will fit the offense better. The more chances they get should prove that out.

Luck and this offense can put him in position because it's just that good. Funchess is a less a WR, imo, and more an athlete. He's just not that good. Cain should get opportunities along with Fountain. Funchess is a different skillset, for sure, but those guys will fit the offense better. The more chances they get should prove that out.
I think Cain is better than Fountain and Campbell is for sure better than Fountain.  I just don't see much of a role for him right now.  Even Rogers will will get more minutes than Fountain during the regular season.

Colts have some nice depth at WR, but I dont see any real standouts behind Hilton right now. It's wide open, Fountain has improved immensely from the last preseason disappointment. Cain, Funchess, Campbell, Rogers all in the mix. Too early to pick a winner, but I like what I'm hearing about Fountain.

Worthy of a preseason end of the roster dice roll.

I think Cain is better than Fountain and Campbell is for sure better than Fountain.  I just don't see much of a role for him right now.  Even Rogers will will get more minutes than Fountain during the regular season.
I'd agree with that assessment. It's good that he seems to be progressing but I don't think he's a featured WR anytime soon.

I'd agree with that assessment. It's good that he seems to be progressing but I don't think he's a featured WR anytime soon.
Not to say he won't eventually be if he's solved his "hands of stone" issue.  Like I said earlier, I don't think Rogers will be on the team after this year, and I've never been on the Funchess bandwagon, so there is a possibility he could sneak into 2020 WR #4 discussion if the Colts don't draft another high profile WR in next year's draft.  Or WR #3 discussion if two of Funchess, Campbell, or Cain fizzles.

Guess I’m back on the train after all. I like Zach Pascal a lot more than most. Cain hype last year caught me by surprise and he hasn’t done much this preseason. We’ll see how this shakes out. 

Guess I’m back on the train after all. I like Zach Pascal a lot more than most. Cain hype last year caught me by surprise and he hasn’t done much this preseason. We’ll see how this shakes out. 
Hilton / Funchess / Rogers, sprinkled in with Cain, Pascal, and Fountain.  When Campbell is healthy I suspect he will be the WR #3 unless he disappoints.  If he flops, and I don't think he will, then it's back to Rogers and the sprinkle of others.  Having said that, I like Cain more than Pascal and Fountain.  He was very good at Clemson and was doing well when he got hurt last year.  If he's healthy I don't see any reason why he can't be their WR #4 this year and WR #3 next year if Funchess doesn't work out for them.

Based on the reports on Fountain from TC along with his showing in the first preseason game, I can not rule him out as a viable starter this season. I can totally see him beating out the likes of Rogers, Pascal and Cain.  Plus we have the injury to Campbell.  I'm definitely holding until the final depth chart is settled.

Based on the reports on Fountain from TC along with his showing in the first preseason game, I can not rule him out as a viable starter this season. I can totally see him beating out the likes of Rogers, Pascal and Cain.  Plus we have the injury to Campbell.  I'm definitely holding until the final depth chart is settled.
keep in mind he was on the practice squad all of last year...anyone could of taken him....they are working him extra hard to see what they have....whats really weird is last year he hardly played in pre season......i think his spot in the league is most likely in jeopardy vs making the team/starting....just too raw

keep in mind he was on the practice squad all of last year...anyone could of taken him....they are working him extra hard to see what they have....whats really weird is last year he hardly played in pre season......i think his spot in the league is most likely in jeopardy vs making the team/starting....just too raw
He was on the roster at the end of last year, didn’t do anything. I was skeptical at first but reports have been it’s not just the preseason game or this last practice. He’s been consistently putting up impressive performances throughout camp.

He was on the roster at the end of last year, didn’t do anything. I was skeptical at first but reports have been it’s not just the preseason game or this last practice. He’s been consistently putting up impressive performances throughout camp.
Sometimes it takes a year or two for players to get used to the pro game. This could be the case with Fountain.

Colts WR Daurice Fountain was carted from Thursday's joint practice with the Browns with a left leg injury.

Fountain could be heard "screaming from the sideline." Both teams then gathered around in prayer. Colts owner Jim Irsay attempted to console Fountain before he was taken away. A second-year fifth-rounder, Fountain was reportedly having an excellent camp after making just one rookie appearance. A major injury would have his NFL future in doubt.

SOURCE: George Bremer on Twitter

Aug 15, 2019, 5:05 PM ET

Colts WR Daurice Fountain was carted from Thursday's joint practice with the Browns with a left leg injury.

Fountain could be heard "screaming from the sideline." Both teams then gathered around in prayer. Colts owner Jim Irsay attempted to console Fountain before he was taken away. A second-year fifth-rounder, Fountain was reportedly having an excellent camp after making just one rookie appearance. A major injury would have his NFL future in doubt.

SOURCE: George Bremer on Twitter

Aug 15, 2019, 5:05 PM ET
/thread

Daurice Fountain implied he's recovered from last year's ankle surgery.

He missed all of 2019 after suffering a dislocated ankle in training camp. "Back on field this week, praise the LORD. It’s been a long time coming," Fountain tweeted Monday. Fountain didn't get into any specifics, though clearly the 24-year-old's health is trending in the right direction following what could have been a career-threatening injury. The 2018 fifth-rounder has yet to play an NFL down but was turning heads before his injury last summer.

SOURCE: Daurice Fountain on Twitter

Feb 10, 2020, 12:10 PM ET

Daurice Fountain implied he's recovered from last year's ankle surgery.

He missed all of 2019 after suffering a dislocated ankle in training camp. "Back on field this week, praise the LORD. It’s been a long time coming," Fountain tweeted Monday. Fountain didn't get into any specifics, though clearly the 24-year-old's health is trending in the right direction following what could have been a career-threatening injury. The 2018 fifth-rounder has yet to play an NFL down but was turning heads before his injury last summer.

SOURCE: Daurice Fountain on Twitter

Feb 10, 2020, 12:10 PM ET
Shouldn't he be in the XFL or CFL?

Users who are viewing this thread