What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Racist rhetoric in public (1 Viewer)

squistion

Footballguy
At the below link, is a Caucasian man in Midtown Manhattan harassed two Latina women for speaking Spanish to each other at Fresh Kitchen and threatened to call ICE

http://gothamist.com/2018/05/16/nyc_bigot_fresh_kitchen_video.php

An angry white man insulted and threatened two women for speaking Spanish at a midtown lunch chain on Wednesday, threatening to call Immigration and Customs Enforcement on them because he didn't want to hear the language in "my country."

"Every person I listen to—he's speaking it, she's speaking it. This is America," the man shouted, while customers waited for salads at a Fresh Kitchen on Madison Avenue, near 39th Street.

As he was confronted by a manager, the man continued, "Your clients and your staff are speaking Spanish to staff when they should be speaking English...My guess is they're undocumented, so my next call is to ICE to have each one of them taken out of my country. If they have the balls to come here and live off my money—I pay for their welfare. I pay for their ability to be here."
Obviously this type of behavior is not new and existed well before Trump became President. But it seems that more and more incidents like this are happening with bigots publically confronting those who they believe have not conformed or assimilated to American culture to the degree they feel they should. And I suspect these people have become emboldened by having a President who has openly made what is perceived to be racist remarks against Latinos and people of color

Is this behavior becoming more common or is it just being captured on social media? Is Trump responsible either directly or indirectly?

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really think it's been normalized.  There's still a pretty big public backlash when things like this happen in the public eye.  The difference now is that depending on the severity of the matter, a large segment of conservative news media and social media rush to defend much like a large segment of the liberal news media and social media rush to denounce.

In regard to the situation at hand, the US has no national language.  40+ million Americans speak Spanish at home.  Sorry to break it to you, pal, but that train left the station long ago.  Diversity is interwoven into the fabric of the US, and people with opinions like this are ultimately drowned out, thankfully.

Live in NYC. Never heard any friends have a problem with this. Right after the election, I had numerous female friends of non-white races be harassed and demeaned because of their race in Manhattan. I haven't heard them say anything recently, but yeah, it's a thing.

Last edited:
Also right after the election I heard a guy call another guy on the street a slur for gay rhyming with hag-get. A block south of Union Square. I hadn't heard that term in years. No way did I expect to hear it in the East Village in broad daylight by someone who wasn't blitzed out of their mind.

Last edited:
Despite what Matthias claims, this behavior isnt normalized. 
I didn't say it was normalized. I said it had become a thing. And if it's become a thing in Midtown Manhattan, even if a small one, I can't imagine what it's like in other places.

One of the women was someone from China. Who before the election crap-talked liberals and crap-talked criticism of Trump. After the election, she was scared enough that she was considering moving back.

Turns out this guy has a history of public incidents like this. And has been identified by Shaun King as Attorney Aaron M. Schlossberg of Midtown Manhattan.

https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/996725747711541249
Shaun King‏ @ShaunKing 27m27 minutes ago

Dear Midtown Manhattan Attorney Aaron M Schlossberg,

7 of your college classmates from @JohnsHopkins & @GWtweets contacted me and said this is you & they aren't surprised.

I am asking the New York Bar Association (@nysba) to also look into your bigoted hate here & across NYC.

Just watched the video.  I would have a really, really hard time avoiding a physical altercation in situations like this.  What an ignorant POS. 

Is this behavior becoming more common or is it just being captured on social media?
Among the preponderance of human interactions in the U.S., this kind of behavior is propoprtionally vanishingly rare. Note that still makes thousands of incidents nationwide over the course of any one year. The ubiquity of cell-phone cameras and social media gives any one incident an inordinately huge reach, though.

Is Trump responsible either directly or indirectly?
IMHO, Trump is a symptom of American society's contemporary issues, not a cause -- a cork afloat at sea.

Hearing something other than English spoken seems like one of the stupidest hangups anyone can have. Non-local language conversations have been commonplace almost everywhere, including here, for centuries. I'm shuked at how hearing one could flip anybody out. But especially a NY lawyer.

Lets hope this individual has an epiphany. 

If everyone was doing it, speaking Spanish, why could this crusader not have addressed his concerns to say two or more strapping young fellas, rather than to two women?  

Turns out this guy has a history of public incidents like this. And has been identified by Shaun King as Attorney Aaron M. Schlossberg of Midtown Manhattan.

https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/996725747711541249
But wait there is more...turns out (hope you are sitting down for this) he has participated in rallies with pro-Trump protesters and is a big fan of Milo Yiannapoulos and Pamela Geller

https://forward.com/fast-forward/401320/pro-trump-jewish-lawyer-caught-ranting-spanish-new-york-deli/

Pro-Trump Jewish Lawyer Caught Ranting About People Speaking Spanish In New York Deli

A Jewish lawyer in New York was caught berating Spanish-speaking workers at a Manhattan restaurant and threatening to call immigration agents on them in a clip shared widely on social media. [...]

Online observers quickly identified the man as Aaron Schlossberg, a commercial lawyer with offices near Madison Avenue and 40th Street in Manhattan. Schlossberg graduated from George Washington University Law School and has been licensed by New York courts since 2003. Videos surfaced of Schlossberg at earlier rallies standing and yelling with pro-Trump protesters.

Schlossberg was at a May 2017 rally gathered in support of Milo Yiannapoulos and Pamela Geller, who were giving speeches protesting an upcoming commencement speech by Linda Sarsour. He can be heard chanting “You are not a Jew!” and “Milo!” at protesters gathered in support of Sarsour. [...]

Great point.  This one guy has single handledly normalized this behavior.
Straw Man as usual.
It's something you should consider, though -- just what does one individual incident really mean in the grand scheme? It means that bigots walk among us, yes. It means that unfiltered bigots sometimes harass people in public, yes.

"Normalization", to me, means that something has become widely accepted - or "normal". Maybe the general run of bigots are more brazen now after spending so much free time in their echo chambers, but I don't they've even made a tiny dent in what counts as appropriate public behavior in American society at large.  

I don't really think it's been normalized.  There's still a pretty big public backlash when things like this happen in the public eye.  The difference now is that depending on the severity of the matter, a large segment of conservative news media and social media rush to defend much like a large segment of the liberal news media and social media rush to denounce.

In regard to the situation at hand, the US has no national language.  40+ million Americans speak Spanish at home.  Sorry to break it to you, pal, but that train left the station long ago.  Diversity is interwoven into the fabric of the US, and people with opinions like this are ultimately drowned out, thankfully.
This is not how it works.  What happens is an angry minority of the population revolts and secures aid from foeign governments to win and then they get rid of that 40%.  A revolt never happened since the 1860s because the public mostly trusted the system.  Now they dont.

Hearing something other than English spoken seems like one of the stupidest hangups anyone can have. Non-local language conversations have been commonplace almost everywhere, including here, for centuries. I'm shuked at how hearing one could flip anybody out. But especially a NY lawyer.
I'm sure whenever this guy travels abroad, he and his friends take a Berlitz course to become fluent to talk in that native language before going.

It's something you should consider, though -- just what does one individual incident really mean in the grand scheme? It means that bigots walk among us, yes. It means that unfiltered bigots sometimes harass people in public, yes.

"Normalization", to me, means that something has become widely accepted - or "normal". Maybe the general run of bigots are more brazen now after spending so much free time in their echo chambers, but I don't they've even made a tiny dent in what counts as appropriate public behavior in American society at large.  
These things ebb and flow, but on the whole I think it's gotten better over time.  Likely because the best of us have gotten better at a pace and in numbers that outpace how much worse the worst of us have gotten.

I'm sure whenever this guy travels abroad, he and his friends take a Berlitz course to become fluent to talk in that native language before going.
Yeah. I know I'm once again wandering from the main topic of a thread but I wonder if we've ever had a thread talking about the future ubiquitousness and cultural effect of the coming universal translators?

At the below link, is a Caucasian man in Midtown Manhattan harassed two Latina women for speaking Spanish to each other at Fresh Kitchen and threatened to call ICE

http://gothamist.com/2018/05/16/nyc_bigot_fresh_kitchen_video.php

Obviously this type of behavior is not new and existed well before Trump became President. But it seems that more and more incidents like this are happening with bigots publically confronting those who they believe have not conformed or assimilated to American culture to the degree they feel they should. And I suspect these people have become emboldened by having a President who has openly made what is perceived to be racist remarks against Latinos and people of color

Is this behavior becoming more common or is it just being captured on social media? Is Trump responsible either directly or indirectly?

Thoughts?
What about in your day to day life and interactions with people?  how many times have you heard things like this?

I think expressing it openly and without fear of repercussion has become normalized to an extent. This is not the first such incident I have posted in this forum. In the Trump Years and some other threads I have probably shared 4-5 videos of similar incidents of people confronting immigrants, people of color for non-conformity to what they perceive of as acceptable behavior in public in this country.

It is a disturbing trend that seems to becoming more and more common, although, again, it may just be it seems that way because everyone has video cameras to capture these incidents.

Great point.  This one guy has single handledly normalized this behavior.
:goodposting:

I know this may surprise some people here, but in this instance I am forced to disagree with my friend squistion and agree 100% with the sarcasm expressed by Ramblin Wreck.

squistion, everything about the story you posted shouts that its very abnormal: the fact that people were staring at the guy, that he was confronted by the manager, that the story was being reported in the first place. It is the opposite of normalized behavior.

I agree with the overall argument that Trump's victory has created some dangerous trends in our society, and that's something well worth exploring. But loudmouth blatant racism like this is not something I think we really need to worry about.

What about in your day to day life and interactions with people?  how many times have you heard things like this?
I know a lot of you guys live in pretty enlightened areas - liberal areas, one might say.  

Personally, I've never worked in a workplace for a company I didn't own where I haven't heard the n-word from a white person at some point while I worked there.

I know a lot of you guys live in pretty enlightened areas - liberal areas, one might say.  

Personally, I've never worked in a workplace for a company I didn't own where I haven't heard the n-word from a white person at some point while I worked there.
I deal with all the auto companies and have heard the 2 word 2-3 times in the last year.  Twice by a Japanese Toyota employee (different ones) and once by an Arab Ford employee.   Have not heard a white person I deal with say it in years. It was during the Auto Show in Detroit..the Toyota guys say in front of his colleagues.."So many Ns here"

I look at him like "Are you kidding me"?  His buddies all start laughing.

I think expressing it openly and without fear of repercussion has become normalized to an extent. This is not the first such incident I have posted in this forum. In the Trump Years and some other threads I have probably shared 4-5 videos of similar incidents of people confronting immigrants, people of color for non-conformity to what they perceive of as acceptable behavior in public in this country.

It is a disturbing trend that seems to becoming more and more common, although, again, it may just be it seems that way because everyone has video cameras to capture these incidents.
It's the cameras IMHO. Through them, sunlight is being cast in areas once covered by shadow.

These incidents get outsized attention now ... but people weren't looking for this stuff the same way a few years ago. Had people started whipping out their cameras 5-10 years ago ... many similar events could have been captured. It's sort of like our society -- being made up of individual humans -- has kind of a shared selective memory.

... [The] Toyota guys say in front of his colleagues.."So many Ns here"

I look at him like "Are you kidding me"?  His buddies all start laughing.
Was the guy culturally Japanese -- that is, born/raised/still lives there?

This... and nothing else needs to be said...completely covered it

Users who are viewing this thread