What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Racist rhetoric in public (1 Viewer)

squistion, everything about the story you posted shouts that its very abnormal: the fact that people were staring at the guy, that he was confronted by the manager, that the story was being reported in the first place. It is the opposite of normalized behavior.
Tim, I have probably posted video links to almost a half dozen of these "abnormal" incidents occurring in public in the last couple years. The frequency seems to be increasing and suggests that a certain segment of the population are no longer hesitant to be in-your-face to people in public with their racism and bigotry. Normalized not in the sense that it is normal behavior for most people, but we are becoming accustomed to seeing it captured on video, so that it no longer seems to be an outlier, or that shocking or unusual to us, as if it were becoming an almost everyday occurrence somewhere in this country. 

I know a lot of you guys live in pretty enlightened areas - liberal areas, one might say.  

Personally, I've never worked in a workplace for a company I didn't own where I haven't heard the n-word from a white person at some point while I worked there.
Pretty sure it would get you fired here. That same day or the day after.

Tim, I have probably posted video links to almost a half dozen of these "abnormal" incidents occurring in public in the last couple years. The frequency seems to be increasing and suggests that a certain segment of the population are no longer hesitant to be in-your-face to people in public with their racism and bigotry. Normalized not in the sense that it is normal behavior for most people, but we are becoming accustomed to seeing it captured on video, so that it no longer seems to be an outlier, or that shocking or unusual to us, as if it were becoming an almost everyday occurrence somewhere in this country. 
Hopefully we can get a new thread every time too. 

As a boy in the 60's I learned racist rhymes, ditties, and jokes, not at home, but in school and the neighborhood.   Einie meanie mynie moe was the least virulent of them.  This was normal and not corrected by most adults.  I believe those things have been for the most part stamped out now.  I hope so. 

I am quite certain my children have not heard the same ditties, rhymes, or jokes I did.  May the memories die with me.

I don't think it's an everyday occurrence or even almost, whatever that means. A half dozen is a really small number when you think about it. Plus I'm not sure this even represents an increase, or if people are just paying more attention.

20 years ago this coming October, a kid named Matthew Shepard was essentially lynched because of his sexual orientation. I would suggest we have less hatred now, even with Trump, than we did then.

I don't think it's an everyday occurrence or even almost, whatever that means. A half dozen is a really small number when you think about it. Plus I'm not sure this even represents an increase, or if people are just paying more attention.

20 years ago this coming October, a kid named Matthew Shepard was essentially lynched because of his sexual orientation. I would suggest we have less hatred now, even with Trump, than we did then.
I would liken it more to a beating and crucifixion, but your point is well-taken.

I don't know if you remember but after the two individuals beat and tied him to a country fence they went back to town and then got into it with two Hispanic youths which lead to the arrival of the sheriffs.  First the gay young man and then Hispanic youths.  They say it takes three data points to establish a pattern, but in this instance I wonder. (Actually I have no real doubts.  I know to a moral certainty who and what these fellas were.) 

Last edited by a moderator:
I would liken it more to a beating and crucifixion, but your point is well-taken.

I don't know if you remember but after the two individuals beat and tied him to a country fence they went back to town and then got into it with two Hispanic youths which lead to the arrival of the sheriffs.  First the gay young man and then Hispanic youths.  They say it takes three data points to establish a pattern, but in this instance I wonder. (Actually I have no real doubts.  I know to a moral certainty who and what these fellas were.) 
I wasn't aware of that fact. Thanks.

As a boy in the 60's I learned racist rhymes, ditties, and jokes, not at home, but in school and the neighborhood.   Einie meanie mynie moe was the least virulent of them.  This was normal and not corrected by most adults.  I believe those things have been for the most part stamped out now.  I hope so. 

I am quite certain my children have not heard the same ditties, rhymes, or jokes I did.  May the memories die with me.
/thread

I can assure you it was around in the 80's as well.

I can also assure you my kids know none of this.

Eight years ago this October, this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/10/nyregion/10bias.html?mtrref=www.google.com&gwh=1564888D99F466F96E68282E801E01BE&gwt=pay

The most severely brutalized victim was a gay 30-year-old Hispanic immigrant known in his Bronx neighborhood as “la Reina,” Spanish for “the Queen.” He was playful, flirty and always ready for a party, neighbors said. At the bodega below the apartment he shared with his brother, he often bought sodas for teenagers.

The ringleader of the street crew was known on his block as a stocky 23-year-old thug with tattoos all over his arms and a pit bull at his side, a marijuana dealer who would hang out on a fire escape and would put teenagers to work selling drugs. He had previous arrests for gun possession and robbery and, as a neighbor put it, “looked like trouble.”

“He acted like he was a big shot,” said the neighbor, Michael Perez, 20, of the ringleader, Idelfonso Mendez, 23. “It was just a matter of time.”

Their lives intersected last weekend in what city officials described on Saturday as the worst antigay attack in recent memory. It happened in an abandoned building in the Morris Heights section that neighbors said had been virtually taken over in recent months by youths who used it for wild parties and sex.

The authorities say nine young men who called themselves the Latin King Goonies lured the gay man to the building with the promise of a party and tortured him and the two 17-year-olds they suspected of having sex with him, subjecting them to beatings that went on for hours, gruesome sexual attacks with a small baseball bat and the wooden handle of a toilet plunger, and cigarette burns on the genitals of the older man.

The attacks unfolded inside 1910 Osborne Place, a four-story brick building with a lime-green door on a third-floor porch. The building is across the street from an elementary school on a quiet block in Morris Heights, a largely Hispanic neighborhood. But neighbors said that, lately, it had become a magnet for trouble, with music blasting in the small hours of the morning, young men and boys drinking on the stoop, and, on several occasions, police officers breaking up the crowds but making no arrests.

Officials said Saturday that the building’s owner had paid fines on two Buildings Department violations — one for doing work without a permit, another for having too many tenants — since 2005. Both had followed complaints to the city’s 311 line.

A makeshift tribute appeared on the steps Saturday: pink roses with a card calling for “Prayers for healing — for our community.” Gov. David A. Paterson, five members of the City Council, and a coterie of other politicians and ministers marched down a block to show solidarity with the victims.

The 30-year-old gay man and his 40-year-old brother, who neighbors said were from Ecuador, lived two blocks away, in a fifth-floor apartment at the corner of Loring Place South and West Burnside Avenue. During the attacks, investigators said, some members of the group went to the apartment, beat the older brother and stole $1,000, debit cards and a 52-inch television set.

On Saturday, the brothers’ neighbors gave a harrowing account of having heard banging at their door early Monday, and opening it to find the older brother, his face and head covered with blue and white masking tape, his hands tied behind him with white string. Behind the gag, they said, they heard him cry, “Ayúdame!” (“Help me!”). They took him in, cut the bindings and called the police, spawning a weeklong investigation that led to the arrest of seven of the gang members late Thursday and early Friday.

Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly said Saturday that those suspects had “made statements implicating themselves in this crime.” An eighth suspect, Elmer Confresi, 23, turned himself in on Saturday, while the ninth, Rudy Vargas-Perez, 22, reneged on a promise made through a lawyer to turn himself and remained at large, Mr. Kelly said.

Besides Mr. Mendez and Mr. Confresi, the suspects are David Rivera, 21, who had prior arrests for weapons possession and robbery; Bryan Almonte, 17; Steven Caraballo, 17; Elin Brayon Cepeda, 16; Nelson Falu, 17; and Denis Peitars, 17, all of the Bronx. They were still awaiting arraignment on Saturday night; officials said that the charges included kidnapping and sodomy, and that all would be charged as adults and with hate crimes.

“Like many New Yorkers, I was sickened by these antigay crimes,” Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg said Saturday afternoon. “The heartless men who committed these crimes should know that New Yorkers will not tolerate them.”

Christine C. Quinn, the City Council speaker, who is gay, added: “These crimes are not jokes. They are not games. They are things that eat away at the fabric of our city.”

Mr. Mendez, who the police said was the ringleader and was known by the street name “Cheto,” lived several miles away from the crime scene, in Bedford Park. Neighbors on his block, marred by graffiti and the scene of open drug markets, said that he had a crew of younger friends who were often with him but that he spent most of his time elsewhere. “He tried to look gangster,” Mr. Perez said. “He walked around like he was one of the neighborhood thugs.”

Several other suspects lived in the blocks surrounding Osborne Place, near the man known as “la Reina,” who worked at an optometrist’s store in the Parkchester section. Every day, he stopped by El Tio grocery, the bodega on the ground floor of his building, for juices, sandwiches and small talk, according to the manager, Xavier Peña. “He was a good friend,” Mr. Peña said. “He’s a very, very nice guy. He called me Papi, Papi.”

Many in the neighborhood used female pronouns to refer to the man, though they said he dressed in men’s clothes. “She’s gay, she’s like a woman, we think of her like a woman,” explained one neighbor, speaking on the condition that he not be named for fear of reprisals.

“She’s a very good person,” he added. “If you were ever hungry or thirsty, you could go to Reina, and she would help you.”

The police said the violence began about 3:30 a.m. Sunday, when, investigators said, the 17-year-old gang recruit was taken to the Osborne Place building, beaten, stripped, slashed with a box cutter and sodomized with a plunger handle after admitting that he had had a sexual encounter with the 30-year-old.

On Sunday night, the police said, gang members abducted a second 17-year-old, who was robbed of jewelry and beaten after telling them of having also had a liaison with the 30-year-old. The older man, told to bring 10 tall cans of a malt liquor called Four Loko to Osborne Place for a party, was then stripped, tied up, beaten, made to drink all 10 cans of the liquor, burned and sodomized with a small baseball bat, the police said.

Relatives of some of the suspects expressed shock at the charges on Saturday, describing them as young men who went to school and steered clear of trouble.

Carmen Almonte, 54, Bryan’s stepmother, said Bryan’s father had died three months ago, and that Bryan was admitted on Friday night to Montefiore Medical Center after going into diabetic shock during his arrest. “Bryan is not a bad kid,” she said. “If he was there, he didn’t do anything.”

Steven Caraballo’s parents said that he had enrolled in a G.E.D. program, lifted weights and played basketball with his three brothers. “He told me nothing is going on in the streets,” said his father, Jose. “He’s in school. He never got involved in this kind of thing.”

Genesis Suarez, who is 15, pregnant and referred to herself as Steven Caraballo’s wife, said Bryan Almonte was her sister’s boyfriend. “If you bother him he gets mad, like everybody,” she said of Bryan. “But he’s a good guy.”

Ada Cepeda said her son, Elin, had joined her from Santo Domingo, in the Dominican Republic, three years ago; attended classes at Bronx International High School; and recently had expressed interest in becoming a police officer. He was in his room playing video games when the police arrested him on Thursday.

“I’m a realist,” Ms. Cepeda, 52, said. “It’s not that my son is a saint. But I doubt he would do that.”

I know a lot of you guys live in pretty enlightened areas - liberal areas, one might say.  

Personally, I've never worked in a workplace for a company I didn't own where I haven't heard the n-word from a white person at some point while I worked there.
In 20 years, I don't believe I ever have.

I knew one dude used to use "Canadian" as a surrogate, but that that's as close as I've seen.

I can assure you it was around in the 80's as well.

I can also assure you my kids know none of this.
I use to wonder whether this could be entirely propagated on the playgrounds, living there without adult encouragement, older kids continuously indoctrinating younger kids before even the older kids knew what they were doing.  A yearly renewal with each new class. I never arrived at a conclusion. 

I use to wonder whether this could be entirely propagated on the playgrounds, living there without adult encouragement, older kids continuously indoctrinating younger kids before even the older kids knew what they were doing.  I never arrived at a conclusion. 
I was called a F’n Fa—— for wearing a David Bowie shirt in gym class. Never wore it again

Hopefully we can get a new thread every time too. 
I can, if you wish, do an Opie and start multiple related threads.  :hophead:

However, I didn't start a new thread for every incident of racial profiling or discrimination after the Starbucks thread, those were incorporated into that thread discussion.

Turns out this guy has a history of public incidents like this. And has been identified by Shaun King as Attorney Aaron M. Schlossberg of Midtown Manhattan.

https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/996725747711541249
Social media has discovered The Law Office of Aaron M. Schlossberg and have given some predicable reviews, which I am sure will be taken down shortly. From Google Maps is a poster who calls himself David Duke:

David Duke

Local Guide

★★★★★ 2 hours ago

If you need an attorney to get a permit for your next cross burning... look no further than Aaron! He has helped my fellow Knights on numerous occasions! Got some dark skinned neighbors you want sent elsewhere??? Aaron has ICE's direct line! Someone speaking a language you dislike????? Aaron will slap the foreign right out their mouth! Hell, Aaron keeps it real... his motto "If it ain't white, it ain't right!" is on all of his letterhead! So remember the name Aaron 'White Power' Schlossberg for all your legal needs!!!

I don't think that giving individual or personal anecdotal information means much. Too small a sample size to extrapolate and draw any meaningful conclusions. If I had witnessed something like this a dozen times or not at all would have the same value. Plus of course, it could never be proven either way.

I think the wingnuts are becoming more brazen in their behavior due to Social Media. They live in an echo chamber with hundreds or thousands of other idiots all playing off each other. After a while, they think their opinions are commonplace, and unlike years ago where the weirdos kept to themselves, they go public.

The tone for this type of rhetoric is set at the very top:

Elise Foley‏ @elisefoley 2h2 hours ago

“These aren’t people. These are animals.”

- Trump says of (some of) the immigrants being deported during his sanctuary cities roundtable

The tone for this type of rhetoric is set at the very top:

- Trump says of (some of) the immigrants being deported during his sanctuary cities roundtable
No it isn’t. This time has been going on for years as others pointed out to you.  

Benjy Sarlin‏ @BenjySarlin 4h4 hours ago

One of Trump's most consistent rhetorical moves is comparing large classes of human beings to animals -- a political tactic with a long and deadly history

Aaron Rupar‏ @atrupar 4h

Trump strikes a Hitlerian note about immigrants: "You wouldn't believe how bad these people are. These aren't people. These are animals."

Benjy Sarlin‏ @BenjySarlin 4h4 hours ago

One of Trump's most consistent rhetorical moves is comparing large classes of human beings to animals -- a political tactic with a long and deadly history

Aaron Rupar‏ @atrupar 4h

Trump strikes a Hitlerian note about immigrants: "You wouldn't believe how bad these people are. These aren't people. These are animals."
MS13

No the earlier incident captured on video is where he is with Trump supporters at a rally against Linda Sarsour speaking.
No you posted a link claiming that people that knew this guy from college weren’t surprised by his behavior.  So he was an ####### back then. And he is now.  

Did we need a third thread discussing race with squis and have him being followed by the same group of posters?

I don't think that giving individual or personal anecdotal information means much. Too small a sample size to extrapolate and draw any meaningful conclusions. If I had witnessed something like this a dozen times or not at all would have the same value. Plus of course, it could never be proven either way.
:lmao:  isn't that exactly what you are doing here?  You cherry pick one interaction out of billions and turn into chicken little.

I agree with squis here. Before Trump I never heard a black man referred to as the n word, never heard a gay person referred to as the f word, etc.

Trump started all of this.

Did we need a third thread discussing race with squis and have him being followed by the same group of posters?
This thread is a different subject matter. Starbucks thread is about racial profiling and racial discrimination.

This thread involves confrontations in public with bigots using racist rhetoric to harass perceived immigrants and people of color for not assimilating properly into our culture.

This thread is a different subject matter. Starbucks thread is about racial profiling and racial discrimination.

This thread involves confrontations in public with bigots using racist rhetoric to harass perceived immigrants and people of color for not assimilating properly into our culture.
 @sho nuff this seems logical to me

All three end up the same. This, Starbucks, Kaep...all the same discussions and all the same people with the same back and forth BS to each other.

Have fun though..

This is not how it works.  What happens is an angry minority of the population revolts and secures aid from foeign governments to win and then they get rid of that 40%.  A revolt never happened since the 1860s because the public mostly trusted the system.  Now they dont.
This has gotten super stale. You really need some new elements here so please start mixing it up. I don't know... work in the the Bilderbergs or something. It needs a little pizzazz. TIA

This guy posts a story about some dude in NY telling someone to speak English and then within a couple hours is tweet bombing the board blaming it on Trump.  Good times.
Trump and his connection and/or blame was raised in the OP:

Obviously this type of behavior is not new and existed well before Trump became President. But it seems that more and more incidents like this are happening with bigots publically confronting those who they believe have not conformed or assimilated to American culture to the degree they feel they should. And I suspect these people have become emboldened by having a President who has openly made what is perceived to be racist remarks against Latinos and people of color

Is this behavior becoming more common or is it just being captured on social media? Is Trump responsible either directly or indirectly?
However his statement calling undocumented immigrants "animals' was made subsequently to the OP, so it was relevant to the discussion as it would seem to encourage additional racist rhetoric of this kind.

Naturally the Democrat party stands by the poor migrant children

MS-13 members game U.S. immigration system by claiming they’re underage

MS-13 is paying smugglers to coach gang members on how to game the U.S. immigration system, teaching underage members to claim UAC status — and telling those over 18 to lie and claim they are underage — to try to gain quick, easy access to the U.S., government officials said Thursday.

Rep. Peter T. King, a New York Republican, said his district is such a hotbed of MS-13 activity that authorities are “right now digging for bodies within a mile of my house.” He said some families are forced to facilitate gang members’ arrivals and are pressured by gangs to become sponsors and claim the children when they arrive.

Users who are viewing this thread