What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Racist rhetoric in public (1 Viewer)

Shaun King asking people to identify Aaron Schlossberg from the online video in the OP is unrelated to his tweet in which he supported the woman who made the false claim against the police. That is a different subject matter as it did not involve using racist rhetoric in a public setting.

Ramblin Wreck said:
Shaun King is such a clown.  Can't believe anyone ever posts his nonsense to back their race-baiting.

https://twitter.com/RealSaavedra/status/999177656317837312

.@ShaunKing spread the claim that this woman was raped & held hostage by a Texas Highway Patrol Trooper. The Texas Department of Public Safety just released the 2-hour video from the DWI arrest... it appears as though none of it is true:
Shaun King‏Verified account @ShaunKing 1h

When the “victim” you fought for turns out to be the victimizer: Sherita Dixon-Cole and the painful consequences of a false report of sexual assault and police misconduct. My open thoughts.

https://medium.com/@ShaunKing/when-the-victim-you-fought-for-turns-out-to-be-the-victimizer-sherita-dixon-cole-and-the-painful-cec6ca8f3670

squistion said:
I would like to believe this is a sincere apology, but it is hard not to be skeptical where there are multiple incidents captured on video over the years of him screaming at, harassing or otherwise trying to intimidate and bully immigrants, minorities or people who he thinks are different than him,

Perhaps he had some sort of an epiphany, and will change his ways, but I doubt it.

Here is his complete apology on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/ASchlossbergLaw/status/998957026008096768
This is nothing more then an I'm sorry I got caught for being a racist bigot in the act. I live in the area this clown is from. A cousin of mine went to school around the time he did and knew siblings who had family in this dudes class. People have come forward from HS and College who knew him with the typical responses "I'm not surprised", "If anyone were to do this everyone would've predicted him." "Always been a jerk". "Entilted", "Typical School yard bully." "Thats Adam for ya to a T." etc etc. two people claimed they kicked his ### for bullying others or being a jerk when in HS as well. This is your typical I'm sorry I was caught response. 

Mystery Achiever said:
King also stirred the pot claiming to have been told the Eagles were adding a QB other than Kaepernick when Wentz tore his ACL. A story that no one who cover the NFL had. And didn't pan out.
He claimed the Eagles were racist for not signing Kaepernick too. And everyone in the Eagles organization went after him. This guy loves to stir the pot. He's half black himself. The thing I hate about some people is they are so quick to pull the race card it's like the boy who cried wolf too many times. Two things that I agree with though

Does racism still exist in this country at a very embarrassing high?

Absolutely 

Is there too many Minorities who use the Race card too much to not take responsibility for their actions?

That is a yes as well 

Unfortunately with the false claims of Racism when the real thing does happen and many people are not around such issues do to being shelter or always having a better life style it becomes the boy who cried wolf too many times so they don't believe when it really happened. Guys like Shaun king but guys like David Dukes are both what is wrong with this country along with people and conspirators like Alex Jones and his little butt buddy Ben Shapiro All these people combined create a very toxic environment that the people on both sides who want to change the image of everything have a much harder time changing it. 

timschochet said:
I don’t know Shaun King. Perhaps he is a shameless self-promoter. It’s pretty rare when charges about an act of racism in our society turn out to be false. It does happen, just not very often. Unfortunately nearly every instance of a false charge is used by conservative types to argue that systemic racism doesn’t exist. I mean they are still talking about he Duke Lacrosse story over a decade later, which is really sad. 

Systemic, institutionalized racism does exist, guys. We need to deal with it. 
King is one of those people that if something doesn't agree with his opinion he's quick to pull the race card into it. He's been accused by both sides over the years for false stories on racism. He tried to get the Eagles involved on a story with Kaepernick when Wentz went down and were signing a QB. Like Mystery said no NFL reporter had this story. Then when the team signed didn't sign a QB and kept Nate Sudefield he claimed the Eagles were racist for not signing Kaepernick. King got made into a jackass when someone mentioned to him Jeffrey Lurie isn't a racist and one of the most Liberal owners in the NFL. He donated to HRC's Campaign adnd is a big donor to Liberal political people. I also think after that incident King deleted one of his tweets on the Eagles too. 

timschochet said:
Again, I don’t know King. But I can’t blame anyone for getting taken in by false claims because they are very rare. I can and do blame people who focus on those false claims, and yes those same people deny systemic racism all the time. 
I actually don't deny it exist. It's just more then King is notorious for false racism claims that both sides have accused him of it in the past as well. He's nothing more then a pot stirrer. He's the Left's version of Milo Yanninopolus or whatever that guys last name is on the Right who makes false claims himself constantly. 

Ilov80s said:
True but he is probably the most famous reporter of cases of racial bias in the country. He has 977k followers on Twitter. So even if he is a jerk and a crap reporter, he needs to be paid attention to, scrutinized, etc. 
The problem with King is if we don't scrutinize him who will? And if no one does he has a bunch of followers drinking the cool aid who will continue to follow his movement of false racial claims. That's no better in helping the current situation then the racism itself. 

The problem with King is if we don't scrutinize him who will? And if no one does he has a bunch of followers drinking the cool aid who will continue to follow his movement of false racial claims. That's no better in helping the current situation then the racism itself. 
I don’t think all his claims are false. I think he’s working for a good cause but how he does it is sloppy and thus actually hurts his purpose. 

Shaun King asking people to identify Aaron Schlossberg from the online video in the OP is unrelated to his tweet in which he supported the woman who made the false claim against the police. That is a different subject matter as it did not involve using racist rhetoric in a public setting.
Kind of agree with you here. Aaron was pretty blatant with what he did. King just wanted people to ID the guy. Even if he didn't ask someone would've eventually. Especially locally here of people who knew him. He's the talk of the town right now and not in a good way and my area is pretty conservative these days. 

I don’t think all his claims are false. I think he’s working for a good cause but how he does it is sloppy and thus actually hurts his purpose. 
Never said all his are false but he should pick and chose his battles better. It seems this guy just goes looking for racism when it's not there just to make an article deadline. He's like the manager who looks for every in-fractionment he can on employee even if one isn't there. I had a really good co manager at my retail job when it came to discipline but it got to the point he literally went looking for someone to punish who wasn't following protocol and people started hating him. His motives were in the right place he was just going completely overboard. He was transferred to another store do to manager changes elsewhere but died of Pancreatic Cancer about 5 or so yrs ago which was pretty sad. 

I hope you reported that to hr
My work had hired this AA Male maybe 2 yrs ago now. Unfortunately my Produce manager didn't fire the dude before his probation was up and has kicked himself for it ever since. Produce sent him upfront as a cart grabber and stuff. Dude did carts well but he stopped to talk to anything with longhair a ##### and set of ####. He was a little talkative with the I could tell the women were feeling uncomfortable. Kept making claims of racism against my Produce manager and went on a rant some of these AA people go on conspiracy theory wise. One of our salad bar girls also black went up to my produce manager embarrassed for this guys actions and apologized and my produce manager said there was no need for her too. Anyway my Store director was distraught about firing this guy because he was the type to pull the race card (My seafood manager I was friends with overheard a meeting in the office talking about the guy and my Storie director admitted as much) and he doesn't like controversy. So eventually they started giving him less hrs Dude apparently came and left as he pleased and he got himself screwed over. Bosses finally booked him on Job Abandonment. Dude also lied about being in the military and other things. A co worker and I use to call him Rico Suave. 

Never said all his are false but he should pick and chose his battles better. It seems this guy just goes looking for racism when it's not there just to make an article deadline. He's like the manager who looks for every in-fractionment he can on employee even if one isn't there. I had a really good co manager at my retail job when it came to discipline but it got to the point he literally went looking for someone to punish who wasn't following protocol and people started hating him. His motives were in the right place he was just going completely overboard. He was transferred to another store do to manager changes elsewhere but died of Pancreatic Cancer about 5 or so yrs ago which was pretty sad. 
You called it a movement of false claims. I agree he is looking for it, which is fine. He just needs to be a more discerning patient journalist.

You called it a movement of false claims. I agree he is looking for it, which is fine. He just needs to be a more discerning patient journalist.
I think a lot of what he puts out is false. He does get it right from time to time. Maybe his heart is in the right place however besides this last false claim I've yet to see him retract any of the other big ones. 

I think a lot of what he puts out is false. He does get it right from time to time. Maybe his heart is in the right place however besides this last false claim I've yet to see him retract any of the other big ones. 
Yeah we don’t know him so I have no idea how much he’s intentionally fanning flames for money with disregard for truth ( sure seems like it at times) or if he’s just a terrible sloppy journalist. I don’t care for his work despite respecting his attempted purpose. 

Yeah we don’t know him so I have no idea how much he’s intentionally fanning flames for money with disregard for truth ( sure seems like it at times) or if he’s just a terrible sloppy journalist. I don’t care for his work despite respecting his attempted purpose. 
I don't either and was done with him after he tried to accuse the Eagles of Racism over the Kaepernick situation. Eagles fans blew him up on twitter for it even people mentioning how Lurie is one of if not the most Liiberal owner in the league. The Eagles already had 2 QBs. Plus CK just sued the NFL. Wouldn't be smart for a team who he is now basically suing to give him a job would it? I swear these people trying to make an agenda don't think these things through enough. 

That article doesnt say how old he is, but based on the fact he had a cane i would assume he is old. Old people are even less likely than women to be convicted and sentenced for long. It also doesnt really mention how injured the guy was that he zapped. Probably minor or i imagine it would be described. 

I get so annoyed when i read stories of old people that have committed crimes and they just get slaps on the wrist. I will never forget when this happened near me. Guy didnt even get a ticket.

Relevant: Roseanne Barr makes racist tweet and is promptly #### canned. 

Yep, sounds normalized. 
Majority expressing a proper reaction doesn't diminish a minority now feeling emboldened their ability to express it. Nor 40% of the country now trying to defend her.

http://www.vocativ.com/news/291497/heres-what-happened-when-the-kkk-endorsed-ronald-reagan/index.html

On Sunday, CNN host Jake Tapper asked the current GOP frontrunner if he’d disavow the support of racist groups like the Klan and one of its former leaders, David Duke, who recently threw his support behind the Donald. Rather than just flatly reject the endorsement from Duke, the well-known former face of the Klan, Trump claimed ignorance.

“I don’t know anything about David Duke, OK?” Trump said on the show “State of the Union.” “I don’t know anything about what you’re even talking about with white supremacy or white supremacists. So, I don’t know.”

(It’s worth noting that this was either a lie or he’s forgetful: Trump ended a brief 2000 Reform Party bid for president, in part, by disparaging Duke, calling him “not the company I wish to keep.”)

Reagan, on the other hand, knew exactly how he felt about white supremacists supporting his then-re-election campaign against Walter Mondale. After initially ignoring the endorsement, Reagan was asked by the president of the United States Commission on Civil Rights to disavow the Klan and its support of his candidacy. He did so in a letter—rather forcefully.

”Those of us in public life can only resent the use of our names by those who seek political recognition for the repugnant doctrines of hate they espouse,” the president wrote. ”The politics of racial hatred and religious bigotry practiced by the Klan and others have no place in this country, and are destructive of the values for which America has always stood.”

On Monday, Trump—who was in Florida during his CNN interview and communicating with Tapper via-an earpiece—claimed that he couldn’t properly hear the question about Duke, who launched his own presidential campaign in 1988 and was elected to the Louisiana state legislature the following year.

Reagan, who was in China when he signed the letter disavowing the Klan’s endorsement, added, “while in China, I have been distressed to learn that some individuals back home have questioned whether my views on the Ku Klux Klan have somehow changed since 1980. Nothing could be further from the truth.”
The refusal of the President to denounce racists is, itself, a form of normalizing them and their speech.

Quite a reach. 
It's a continuum.

Forcibly denouncing something ----------------- being neutral and mum on something -------------------- approving of something

For himself, Trump has moved towards neutral and endorsing neutral. That is a normalization.

For himself, Trump has moved towards neutral and endorsing neutral. That is a normalization.
One person -- even a president with the celebrity of Donald Trump -- cannot normalize anything for American society at large.

EDIT: Goes double for Roseanne Barr -- hardly an opinion leader.

Last edited by a moderator:
The answer is still no. If racist rhetoric was normalized, Roseanne Barr wouldn't have been fired within only a few hours of making a bigoted tweet.
If 5 years ago she would have never tweeted it in the first place, thinking that was wildly inappropriate and out of place, how would you characterize the social movement & trends? Normalization is a slightly misleading term. As it isn't a question if racist talk is now normal. It's a question if it has become more normal and accepted than it was in the past. 

The answer is still no. If racist rhetoric was normalized, Roseanne Barr wouldn't have been fired within only a few hours of making a bigoted tweet.
As I have pointed out previously in this thread. Normalized in the sense that people may feel emboldened to say or tweet these things when perhaps they wouldn't have before Trump was elected (no way to now for sure without rerunning history). With Trump referring to Hispanic immigrants as rapists and animals, that seems have lowered the bar this type of speech or conduct.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread