What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HBO Hard Knocks With The Cleveland Browns (1 Viewer)

More Like Hard Cocks, amirite?

Our proud little Rooster (Baker) gonna wake this team up!

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish this was recorded for personnel meetings from January til the draft. I'd love to hear the discussions of all the player moves they made

It is going to make for some good tv. Baker vs Tyrod. Hyde vs Chubb. Jarvis and Josh Gordon. Will be interested to see the personal stories, who gets the coverage and who the real knuckle heads are

:shock:

That's insane.
Not really.  Who would volunteer for that?  How would they get a team otherwise?  They have some exemptions - teams with new head coaches, teams that have been on the show in the past 10 years, and teams that have made the playoffs either of the last two seasons - but otherwise the NFL decides. 

Seems to me if they can't get a team to voluntarily do it, then the show shoudn't be made.
Well then we should notify Goodell and HBO immediately.  Shouldn't be any problem at all to void that contract and have HBO put something else in their lineup.

Didnt realize this...

NFL owners passed a resolution in 2013 stating that teams can avoid mandatory inclusion on Hard Knocks if they fall under any of three exemptions:

1) They have a first-year head coach in place   2) They have a playoff berth in the past two seasons  3) They have appeared on Hard Knocks in the past 10 years

i know this is shtick but for a team with 1 win in 2 years and a volatile qb takwn at 1 overall it sets up as a trainwreck

I could not disagree more.  I think this is one of the most compelling stories in the league this year.  There is now enough talent on the roster that this former dregs of a team can really play some very solid football, and with the influx of youth could very well get stronger as the season wears on.

There are also the just as compelling individual stories.  The plight of the relentlessly loyal fans looking for some relief from the past two seasons.  The QB situation where a vet looking for his next payday starts while a rookie with some earmarks for future stardom develops and even possibly overtakes the vet.  Hyde vs Chubb in the backfield - both guys are going to be looking for RB1 work.  The WRs trying to salvage or create careers while fighting personal demons.  Does Ward play well enough to justify bypassing Chubb in the draft, as well as the D line with the same question?  The beleagured coach on the hotseat, and can he resist getting involved in the offense despite his stating otherwise?

Plenty of well worthwhile interesting items.  But the very best part IMO is going to be watching the Browns realize that they are actually a pretty talented football team and pulling it together as a team to overcome the culture there.  And I have a strong feeling that whether Mayfield starts at the beginning or not, that he will be a fundamental cog in that happening.

I’m not a Browns fan and never will be, but this looks to be a great story to follow for any NFL fan familiar with this franchise.  Must watch TV.

Hankmoody said:
Well then we should notify Goodell and HBO immediately.  Shouldn't be any problem at all to void that contract and have HBO put something else in their lineup.
I didn't realize the NFL had the power to commit players to work outside the norm. Maybe they should sign a contract with the VA to have them do community service with vets every weekend. Or Meals on Wheels to have them deliver to homes in their community. Or perhaps appearances at kid's birthday parties.

i know this is shtick but for a team with 1 win in 2 years and a volatile qb takwn at 1 overall it sets up as a trainwreck
As a fan of the show...I can also recognize it’s drawbacks.  One of those is for the most part, there is very little to be gained by appearing.  On the other, you can look pretty ‘misguided’ in hindsight (from dark horse SB contender to 5-11 Tampa).

For CLE though, with one win in two seasons, you’re literally at rock bottom - the fact that HK could be a train wreck for them isn’t much of a departure from their everyday M-O.  And in some ways, even with Dorsey now calling the shots, there is still a significant ‘science experiment’ feel to how they are rebuilding that will be interesting to watch.

Didnt realize this...

NFL owners passed a resolution in 2013 stating that teams can avoid mandatory inclusion on Hard Knocks if they fall under any of three exemptions:

1) They have a first-year head coach in place   2) They have a playoff berth in the past two seasons  3) They have appeared on Hard Knocks in the past 10 years
If the Browns had any sense, they could have avoided inclusion because of number 1 (still not sure how a coach goes 1-31 and keeps his job). 

I don’t quite get why people don’t understand why teams go on Hard Knocks.  It’s all about what drives the NFL - money and egos.

The NFL is acutely aware that they are in the entertainment business first and foremost.  Hard Knocks inceases revenues, both directly and in indirect ways.  The NFL is also about revenue sharing, so they want to see interest generated for even their weakest members.  

If a team like CLE can go on HK and show people that they are turning the franchise around, that helps with tickets sales (both home and away), merchandising, etc.  If Mayfield or Chubb (among others) look appealing to fans, they’ll sell jerseys.  People in other cities may be more interested in buying a ticket to see them play.  More people may tune into their games to see the turnaround.  In short, more $$$$$ for CLE, their opponents, and for the pool that all the teams split.

And be certain that CLE management is sure that moves they made in the offseason are going to improve the team.  So they just may want to show off - it improves the brands of coaches, GMs, and others if they can show the improvement to the country on HK.  That’s potentially more job security and earning power for them.  The same potential increase in earning power is there for the players too.  Other teams get more insight into players that aren’t currently on their roster.

The NFL is all about the entertainment business, and HK is just one more revenue generating and brand improving opportunity. 

I don’t quite get why people don’t understand why teams go on Hard Knocks.  It’s all about what drives the NFL - money and egos.

The NFL is acutely aware that they are in the entertainment business first and foremost.  Hard Knocks inceases revenues, both directly and in indirect ways.  The NFL is also about revenue sharing, so they want to see interest generated for even their weakest members.  

If a team like CLE can go on HK and show people that they are turning the franchise around, that helps with tickets sales (both home and away), merchandising, etc.  If Mayfield or Chubb (among others) look appealing to fans, they’ll sell jerseys.  People in other cities may be more interested in buying a ticket to see them play.  More people may tune into their games to see the turnaround.  In short, more $$$$$ for CLE, their opponents, and for the pool that all the teams split.

And be certain that CLE management is sure that moves they made in the offseason are going to improve the team.  So they just may want to show off - it improves the brands of coaches, GMs, and others if they can show the improvement to the country on HK.  That’s potentially more job security and earning power for them.  The same potential increase in earning power is there for the players too.  Other teams get more insight into players that aren’t currently on their roster.

The NFL is all about the entertainment business, and HK is just one more revenue generating and brand improving opportunity. 
You think Hue is the coach next season?

You think Hue is the coach next season?

I guess that would depend upon how this season goes.  They’re giving him some weapons, so he’s going to have to show improvement.  But he’ll have some leeway in that he surrendered the O and that he has a 1st pick QB to develop.

I’m not a CLE fan, so I don’t know how short his perceived leash is.

I didn't realize the NFL had the power to commit players to work outside the norm. Maybe they should sign a contract with the VA to have them do community service with vets every weekend. Or Meals on Wheels to have them deliver to homes in their community. Or perhaps appearances at kid's birthday parties.
They don't, and they aren't. 

I will be watching this online tonight, once it hits the usual popular streaming sites.

Sometimes its very late night or tomorrow.

I do look forward to this, its sort of become a way to "kick off the football season" for me personally.

In a perfect world, we will get a few answers as to why we haven't heard much from Josh Gordon........ but I think thats very doubtful.

TZM

Users who are viewing this thread