What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Chase Edmonds, TB (1 Viewer)

As is any player in the NFL, making that a semantics argument.  Again: any player can score 0 any week.

the shark move is to identify players who might have a higher floor on a given week like this one. Which I did. 

good luck to your team. 
Dude it's not complicated.

If you thought the worst imaginable result for Chase Edmonds today was 10+ fantasy points, then you deserve all of the criticism you've gotten, because that's ridiculous.

I think he has earned a 50 percent touch share going forward.  He looks to good to keep of the field 
I’ll be curious to see if this builds a case for a greater share going forward. I don’t think it’ll be 50% but I do agree he’s earned more touches. He’s looked good all season. Plus the coaches talked him up as more than a cop guy in the offseason. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Chase Edmonds rushed 27 times for 126 yards and three touchdowns and added two receptions for 24 yards as a receiver in the Cardinals' Week 7 win over the Giants.

David Johnson was expected to play and he did "start" the game, but DJ spent almost the entire game on the sideline. Edmonds smoothly slid into the bellcow role and had zero problems carving up the Giants defense. Edmonds was fluid in his movements, scoring all of his touchdowns from 20-plus yards out. It's unclear how severe Johnson's ankle injury is -- he was limited in practice last week -- but Edmonds obviously needs to be owned in every fantasy league. If Johnson misses time, Edmonds will be an RB1.
Nice job on the Injury Report there, Arizona.

Way to cherry pick 2 out of 7 weeks for the RB that hasn’t even exceeded 4 points in the other 5 weeks of the season.
Hope you kept the receipt for that crystal ball. Also, when all the big stats line up in the last 3 weeks in a row, some might say that's identifying a trend, not cherry picking.

Still pretty irresponsible by the Cards, Edmonds was running on fumes on a couple carries there.

If it was the back that "mysteriously" flared up, then you have to assume Edmonds is a upside FLEX the rest of the season, where he could turn into an RB1 if DJ gets hurt again.

Hope you kept the receipt for that crystal ball. Also, when all the big stats line up in the last 3 weeks in a row, some might say that's identifying a trend, not cherry picking.
Crystal ball?  You mean for the below?Seems a pretty accurate assessment.  Or are you proclaiming, after the fact, that we just saw the proverbial “changing of the guard” with Edmonds pushing DJ to the bench?  If not, then your post numb is asinine.

Totally fine with Edmonds as a desperation start for owners dealing with injuries and byes.  I was presenting some reality based upon objective data, but call it an internet argument if you like. Even your comment, saying he’s averaging flex value over the past four weeks, just feels like pumping up some false narrative about his value considering the first two of those four weeks he scored 3.7 and 3.5 points.  There’s simply a ton of hyperbole for a player that’s had two solid weeks, each of which was anchored primarily by scoring a TD in each game. If someone feels they can bank on a backup RB having a “floor” of 10 ppr points based upon the last two weeks where he’s receiving an average 6.5 carries, 2.5 catches, and scoring a TD on 23.5 snaps per game, then by all means plug him into your lineup.  I think it’s crazy town.  Unless DJ gets hurt, that seems likely to be about the max workload he’s going to receive.  Again, unless DJ gets hurt...which is a distinct possibility.  But until that happens, Edmonds floor is closer to 3 points than it is to 10.

I have one share of DJ and three of Edmonds, for full disclosure.  I’d love for DJ to sit out a few games, but until he does Edmonds won’t see a single lineup for me unless I am indeed desperate.

He was throwing up at one point.  They didn't add a RB.  Makes me think they didn't plan this or they are clueless on player management. 
Has to be this.  No way they ran him out there as a decoy for basically a single play, then ran Edmonds into the ground.

Your post included week 7 as an under 4 point game before it even happened.
Had to search to figure out what you’re talking about, but I think I figured it out. It you meant the “2 of 7 weeks,” that was an error. Meant 2 of 6 (his games played).  

I never once forward projected anything other than what it seemed Edmond’s limitations were with a healthy David Johnson in the fold.  If you took that as me saying he was going to score less than 4 points this week, then I can see where you wanted to come back and make me eat crow.  I may be foolish, but I’m not that foolish.  :thumbup:

Been worried about that for a while. David Johnson just isn't great at running the ball. He's really a receiving back.
There probably is room for both. The WR core is pretty mediocre. I highly doubt Edmonds becomes the lead RB, but he's earned a decent share. I'd still probably guess 65-35 in favor of Johnson, but its possible that is out of 30+ touches every week. Edmonds can see 10+ carries and 2-3 targets, and Johnson can see 12+ carries and 7-8 targets. 

Ultimately, there is no reason both these guys can't co-exist, both workload wise, and actually on the field together. Its not like the Cards have much else right now. 

for sure. My other options arent great but IMO he has earned more work and there is zero cha ce they leave him on the bench even if DJ is healthy. The volume in this offense can handle 2 rbs
I think I will, too. He was on my bench today, but this wasn't a fluke performance. Kid has some serious talent. 

Frankly, he's looked a lot better than DJ this season. DJ has looked stiff and been ineffective running the ball. A lot of these projections are based on his reputation and not his current form. I'm not saying this job has flipped to Edmonds, but it's a fluid situation and he's been the better player this year.

There probably is room for both. The WR core is pretty mediocre. I highly doubt Edmonds becomes the lead RB, but he's earned a decent share. I'd still probably guess 65-35 in favor of Johnson, but its possible that is out of 30+ touches every week. Edmonds can see 10+ carries and 2-3 targets, and Johnson can see 12+ carries and 7-8 targets. 

Ultimately, there is no reason both these guys can't co-exist, both workload wise, and actually on the field together. Its not like the Cards have much else right now. 
Well there’s one reason... the fact that DJ is clearly injured. 

I have both, I played DJ today......damn it. I'm thinking about playing them both from now on as my last flex spot is for guys like Howard who are not that good anyways. Might as well gamble with playing both Cards RBs.

Frankly, he's looked a lot better than DJ this season. DJ has looked stiff and been ineffective running the ball. A lot of these projections are based on his reputation and not his current form. I'm not saying this job has flipped to Edmonds, but it's a fluid situation and he's been the better player this year.
Counterpoint

Edmunds had 11 carries before playing the Falcons, Bengals and giants.  

David Johnson is averaging 4 ypc and 10.5 ypr with 5 touchdowns and he hurt his ankle mid way through one of those good matchups and missed another.

With the cardinals barely on national tv to begin with, and their one nationally televised game being a perfect storm for Edmunds, this feels like an opportunity to profit on the overreaction. 

Counterpoint

Edmunds had 11 carries before playing the Falcons, Bengals and giants.  

David Johnson is averaging 4 ypc and 10.5 ypr with 5 touchdowns and he hurt his ankle mid way through one of those good matchups and missed another.

With the cardinals barely on national tv to begin with, and their one nationally televised game being a perfect storm for Edmunds, this feels like an opportunity to profit on the overreaction. 
Counter counter point

David Johnson's YPC since his rookie year

2.1 (one game lol)

Counter counter point

David Johnson's YPC since his rookie year

2.1 (one game lol)

To be fair, Johnson's 3.6 was better than Edmonds 3.5 last year, despite having much more defensive attention, and a lot of short yardage carries.

Johnson is playing every bit as well as his 2015-2016 by my eyes. He's just not being fed to that extent, and that isn't likely to change. 

I like Edmonds, and have argued even before the season in the Johnson thread, that he is as good if not better at running than Johnson, but Johnson is better in short yardage, pass blocking, and crushes him(and all but maybe 2-3 guys in the NFL) as a pass catcher. 

When Johnson is healthy, its hard to see a scenario where Edmonds sees more than 35% of the work. As Edmonds has proved, and really wasn't really in doubt, he's a great handcuff.

If Edmonds is healthy, its hard to see a scenario where Johnson sees more than 35% of the work. As Johnson has proved, and really wasn't really in doubt, he's a great handcuff.
Fixed. 

DJ hasn't been able to stay healthy historically. Obviously I don't know enough about this injury but this might be a case where he needs to be shut down for a few weeks or he will keep re-aggravating his ankle.  DJ doesn't want to lose his job so he probably doesn't want to rest for too long but I doubt Edmonds will have many games like he did yesterday

He looked good but the defense was horrible.  Don't expect this every week as more than likely this is an outlier.

I see the Cardinals are bringing in Ajayi for a workout tomorrow. Don’t really get it but figured I’d share. 

Saw an update on Sleeper Bot that AZ is working out Spencer Ware.  That could mean DJ is in worse shape than they let on.  Edmonds will need a breather.

man, damn near the whole season id been wanting to roster edmonds because of his situation but was hamstrung holding on to fringe WR3's that were too good to drop but not good enough to use.... congrats to everyone that has him... the fact they are working out backs is a strong indicator DJ is missing a game or more.

Been thinking of offering Chase Edmonds to the D.J. owner in my league for Tevin Coleman (I have Breida), with the thinking that we’d each basically lock down their respective run units. After the news that the Cards are working out other RBs today, I’m leaning towards holding Chase for now.

man, damn near the whole season id been wanting to roster edmonds because of his situation but was hamstrung holding on to fringe WR3's that were too good to drop but not good enough to use.... congrats to everyone that has him... the fact they are working out backs is a strong indicator DJ is missing a game or more.
Or what if it has something to do with DJ Foster being hurt with a bad hammy (which takes longer to heal) and seeing Chase getting tired/vomiting as the game went on, thanks to the heavy workload and poor planning by the team. Ware and Ajayi are the best FA RBs available, so why not add depth to be safe, regardless of David’s health status? That being said, I would have loved to have seen that “emergency plan” yesterday if David and Chase were done for the day. I wonder if Fitz would have been the RB? 🤔🙃

Been thinking of offering Chase Edmonds to the D.J. owner in my league for Tevin Coleman (I have Breida), with the thinking that we’d each basically lock down their respective run units. After the news that the Cards are working out other RBs today, I’m leaning towards holding Chase for now.
I think that would be a big mistake, as Edmonds is a lot more likely to have a strong finish than either SF RB, IMO.

FWIW Bloom has Edmonds over Singletary this week (per the “ask Sig” topic) 
I wish I listened to Bloom and Hot Sauce Guy.  I started Singletary - puke! It seems like there is a lot of Edmonds hate which I don't get in this thread.  I think he will have a role in PPR going forward even when DJ is healthy. Great bye week fill in and potential stud from here on out.

Or what if it has something to do with DJ Foster being hurt with a bad hammy (which takes longer to heal) and seeing Chase getting tired/vomiting as the game went on, thanks to the heavy workload and poor planning by the team. Ware and Ajayi are the best FA RBs available, so why not add depth to be safe, regardless of David’s health status? That being said, I would have loved to have seen that “emergency plan” yesterday if David and Chase were done for the day. I wonder if Fitz would have been the RB? 🤔🙃
You don’t sign the best FA available to replace a 3rd stringer. 

It seems like there is a lot of Edmonds hate which I don't get in this thread.
Well, a certain amount of that is DJ owners trying to rationalize the situation, especially those who don't also have Edmonds.

If Edmonds has a good second half of the season and helps FF teams in the playoffs then there will be a lot of appreciation because people always love the players they get for cheap who end up being big contributors, but right now he's still an enigma. Maybe he'll be an important player or maybe not.

What encourages me personally is not that he had three TDs this week, but rather that he has LOOKED really good this season. His acceleration and quickness stand out, and he looks bigger/stronger than in the past. Based on the eyeball test and the production, he seems like a guy that AZ will want to keep utilizing.

DJ doesnt have the same burst to take it to the house like Edmonds... I own both and have watched all the games this season... DJ elite pass catching and blocking... Edmonds way better in between the tackles .... I never watched DJ until this year... was he quick or faster b4 his hand injury? Either way whoever the bell cow is will reap mad benefits 

I survived starting DJ over Edmonds, but am glad to have both going forward.

One think I'm kicking myself about is that I have them in a salary cap league (salaries increase yearly based on positional ranking), and I dropped Edmonds a few weeks back for a FA flyer when I had him at the minimum salary, and then had to bid high to get him back. So now I have him at almost the same salary as DJ (6-7% of total cap).

I basically made him WAY more expensive to keep for 2020, especially as a backup.  If they traded one or moved DJ to a WR spot I'd be golden.

True, but after yesterday, I don’t know what to believe anymore with Zona. (Basically the same for all NFL coaches.) If David misses Week 8, maybe they are saving him for Week 9 vs. SF? That game is Thursday night. 

That is a very good point.  I would have to think DJ is going to miss some time.  It is just a matter of how much.  Given Edward's ability to take over the role I can't imagine they would rush him back.

The best available FA is also still out of work nearing the halfway point of the season. 

Coming in to replace an injured 3rd stringer doesn't sound like it ought to be below them.  Beggars can't be choosers and all that.

You know how many RBs scored 10 or more ppr points in 16 games last season?  Zero.

In 2017? Zero.

2016? Zero.

2015? Zero.

If you were to argue that a guy like Barkley or McCaffrey or Elliott has a 10 point floor, I wouldn't argue the point, even though it's technically incorrect.

Chase Edmonds though?  GTFO with that nonsense.  He's already fallen short of 10 points 4 times this season.

You know how many RBs scored 10 or more ppr points in 16 games last season?  Zero.

In 2017? Zero.

2016? Zero.

2015? Zero.

If you were to argue that a guy like Barkley or McCaffrey or Elliott has a 10 point floor, I wouldn't argue the point, even though it's technically incorrect.

Chase Edmonds though?  GTFO with that nonsense.  He's already fallen short of 10 points 4 times this season.
Hot Sauce Guy was only talking about that game and that opponent and was giving his opinion for that game. He wasn't talking ROS which is what I read from his comments. If he were talking ROS I would agree with you that it would be complete nonsense.  I don't think projecting a floor of 10 points last week was nonsense at all. We knew DJ was injured and his coach said he wouldn't play if the game were played on Friday.  If one is projecting it is easy to say they will not run DJ to the ground. If you look at his last 2 games you saw his usage trending upwards. He was already catching passes out of the backfield. Why wouldn't you expect 10 points before last game as a reasonable "floor" for your projections in PPR? I think it is a good call and it is just his opinion.  I missed out on this as well and obviously didn't expect him to go off like that. 

I think part of the problem is the semantics of using the word "floor".  Obviously every player has a floor of 0 but he was saying in PPR that he expected him to have a floor of 10 with the circumstances surrounding that game (DJ injury and usage trending up). 

Users who are viewing this thread