What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Chase Edmonds, TB (2 Viewers)

Hot Sauce Guy was only talking about that game and that opponent and was giving his opinion for that game. He wasn't talking ROS which is what I read from his comments. If he were talking ROS I would agree with you that it would be complete nonsense.  I don't think projecting a floor of 10 points last week was nonsense at all. We knew DJ was injured and his coach said he wouldn't play if the game were played on Friday.  If one is projecting it is easy to say they will not run DJ to the ground. If you look at his last 2 games you saw his usage trending upwards. He was already catching passes out of the backfield. Why wouldn't you expect 10 points before last game as a reasonable "floor" for your projections in PPR? I think it is a good call and it is just his opinion.  I missed out on this as well and obviously didn't expect him to go off like that. 

I think part of the problem is the semantics of using the word "floor".  Obviously every player has a floor of 0 but he was saying in PPR that he expected him to have a floor of 10 with the circumstances surrounding that game (DJ injury and usage trending up). 
The notion that Edmonds was a lock for at least 10 points is ridiculous, regardless of the circumstances.

Dodds projected him for 6.1 ppr points.  Bloom 12.7.  Tremblay was at 4.6.

Those are expected points.  The middle of the bell curve.  The floor (left tail of the bell curve) is obviously well below that, even.

It was dumb when he said it and nothing about his breakout performance does anything to change that.

davearm said:
The notion that Edmonds was a lock for at least 10 points is ridiculous, regardless of the circumstances.

Dodds projected him for 6.1 ppr points.  Bloom 12.7.  Tremblay was at 4.6.

Those are expected points.  The middle of the bell curve.  The floor (left tail of the bell curve) is obviously well below that, even.

It was dumb when he said it and nothing about his breakout performance does anything to change that.
He was giving an opinion and I think you are hung up on the word "floor".  His opinion was that he would get at least 10 points that game based on what he projected as his minimum projected usage based on the circumstances and could go for more. Bloom thought 12.7, Dodds, 6.1 Tremblay 4.6. You have to take people's opinion with a grain of salt although I do respect the 3 professional opinions and really appreciate them going out on a limb before the games kick off.  Bloom was probably thinking more like Hot Sauce Guy and made a great call by telling him to start Edmonds over Singletary(Which I disagreed with before kickoff yesterday). Saying Brady has a floor of 14 points tonight is not meant to be mathematical because mathematically it is always 0.  I think if he has a bad game he will still score 14 points barring injury. I expect him to score at least 20 points against the Jets but my floor would be 14.  I know Brady had 1 really bad game earlier this year so should I put his floor at what the Bills did to him or can I adjust it based on the opponent and what players are healthy, etc.?  Do I have to say the floor is 0 for every player?  I don't think you have to be so insulting for people expressing their opinion. I like listening to people's opinions and decide myself whether or not I agree or disagree with them.  I don't tell people to get out of here for that. 

He was giving an opinion and I think you are hung up on the word "floor".  His opinion was that he would get at least 10 points that game based on what he projected as his minimum projected usage based on the circumstances and could go for more. Bloom thought 12.7, Dodds, 6.1 Tremblay 4.6. You have to take people's opinion with a grain of salt although I do respect the 3 professional opinions and really appreciate them going out on a limb before the games kick off.  Bloom was probably thinking more like Hot Sauce Guy and made a great call by telling him to start Edmonds over Singletary(Which I disagreed with before kickoff yesterday). Saying Brady has a floor of 14 points tonight is not meant to be mathematical because mathematically it is always 0.  I think if he has a bad game he will still score 14 points barring injury. I expect him to score at least 20 points against the Jets but my floor would be 14.  I know Brady had 1 really bad game earlier this year so should I put his floor at what the Bills did to him or can I adjust it based on the opponent and what players are healthy, etc.?  Do I have to say the floor is 0 for every player?  I don't think you have to be so insulting for people expressing their opinion. I like listening to people's opinions and decide myself whether or not I agree or disagree with them.  I don't tell people to get out of here for that. 
I'm hung up on the word floor because floor is the term he used, and it has a specific meaning.

The bolded aren't floors.  They're expectations.  Each guy, if asked, would have set much lower values for the floor.

I think 14 is probably high for Brady tonight, but it isn't outrageous.  10 for Edmonds is (was) outrageous, especially considering he has scored less than 4 in most of the games this year.

I'm hung up on the word floor because floor is the term he used, and it has a specific meaning.

The bolded aren't floors.  They're expectations.  Each guy, if asked, would have set much lower values for the floor.

I think 14 is probably high for Brady tonight, but it isn't outrageous.  10 for Edmonds is (was) outrageous, especially considering he has scored less than 4 in most of the games this year.
I get what you’re saying and I don’t disagree... however, referencing the first four games over and over again when the situation was clearly not what constitutes current state is every bit as disingenuous

I get what you’re saying and I don’t disagree... however, referencing the first four games over and over again when the situation was clearly not what constitutes current state is every bit as disingenuous
Disagree. If Johnson had come out and felt great in warmups, then we'd have been right back to the same situation we had the first four weeks.

The situation changed three games ago... you should come to accept that.
Touches by game, weeks 1-6: 1, 3, 4, 6, 11, 7

Snaps by game, weeks 1-6: 10, 24, 9, 13, 27, 20

The usage data just don't support this narrative of a significant role change (prior to yesterday).  Week 5 was a high-water mark but then week 6 was back to single digit touches.

The main difference is that Edmonds scored TDs weeks 5 and 6.

This is like one of those IQ test questions where you complete the next line in the series. I know they can be hard sometimes. We're all just trying to predict the future, but sometimes being able to differentiate between trends and outliers is very useful.

Week 1 = DJ is OK, therefore Edmonds scores fewer than 4 points.

Week 2 = DJ is OK, therefore Edmonds scores fewer than 4 points.

Week 3 = DJ is OK, therefore Edmonds scores fewer than 4 points.

Week 4 = DJ is OK, therefore Edmonds scores fewer than 4 points.

Week 5 = DJ is HURT, therefore Edmonds scores MORE than 4 points.

Week 6 = DJ is HURT, therefore Edmonds scores MORE than 4 points.

Week 7 = DJ is HURT, therefore Edmonds scores MORE than 4 points.

Week 8 = DJ is HURT, therefore Edmonds scores ___________________.

Touches by game, weeks 1-6: 1, 3, 4, 6, 11, 7

Snaps by game, weeks 1-6: 10, 24, 9, 13, 27, 20

The usage data just don't support this narrative of a significant role change (prior to yesterday).  Week 5 was a high-water mark but then week 6 was back to single digit touches.

The main difference is that Edmonds scored TDs weeks 5 and 6.
Taking Joes lead here so this doesn’t devolve in to name calling. 

Last edited by a moderator:
This is like one of those IQ test questions where you complete the next line in the series. I know they can be hard sometimes. We're all just trying to predict the future, but sometimes being able to differentiate between trends and outliers is very useful.

Week 1 = DJ is OK, therefore Edmonds scores fewer than 4 points.

Week 2 = DJ is OK, therefore Edmonds scores fewer than 4 points.

Week 3 = DJ is OK, therefore Edmonds scores fewer than 4 points.

Week 4 = DJ is OK, therefore Edmonds scores fewer than 4 points.

Week 5 = DJ is HURT, therefore Edmonds scores MORE than 4 points.

Week 6 = DJ is HURT, therefore Edmonds scores MORE than 4 points.

Week 7 = DJ is HURT, therefore Edmonds scores MORE than 4 points.

Week 8 = DJ is HURT, therefore Edmonds scores ___________________.
D.J. played 54 snaps in week 5 which was in-line with previous weeks... and where Edmonds snaps started to spike. Just saying. I don’t believe this is strictly tied to injury. There’s an offensive change taking place. The injury exacerbated it this past weekend.

davearm said:
Chase Edmonds though?  GTFO with that nonsense.  
If you want to post here, drop this kind of thing. 

I get it we're keeping it more civil than most boards. If that's a problem, I'm sorry. 

oswizzle said:
DJ doesnt have the same burst to take it to the house like Edmonds... 
Which is interesting because his first few years, he was as fast as any RB in the league. Ran like a big chiseled gazelle.

It was his wrist that cost him 2017, but something seems to have been lost since that magical 2016 year (beyond Arians) and it’s not seemingly due to wear and tear.

Which is interesting because his first few years, he was as fast as any RB in the league. Ran like a big chiseled gazelle.

It was his wrist that cost him 2017, but something seems to have been lost since that magical 2016 year (beyond Arians) and it’s not seemingly due to wear and tear.
Ya know what? This. WTH happened? He's not the same at all. team losses or no...he just looks different. In a bad way.

Here's something interesting. I was checking out Next Gen Stats and doing some sorting and looking.

When sorting RB's by how much they see 8 man boxes, Chase Edmunds is BY FAR the lowest of all RB's at 1.96%. For comparison, David Johnson is also very low (ranked fourth) at 6.49%. Miles Sanders is second at 4.76%. And for reference, guys like Gore, Fournette, and Henry are in the 30% range.

A lot of that has to do with the offense AZ plays, spreading 4 wide on what seems like every other play, so there's no way the D can put 8 in the box. But none-the-less, I thought it was pretty interesting.

Here's a link to Next Gen Stats - it's really a great site for organizing data:

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/rushing/2019/all#percent-eight-defenders

Every fantasy out was advising you to pick him up with David Johnson injury inevitable. I barely missed him after someone else scooped him up for free a few weeks ago. And now he shining. That's going to be my biggest personal error of the season I think. Not getting him, for free, when I could've.

Every fantasy out was advising you to pick him up with David Johnson injury inevitable. I barely missed him after someone else scooped him up for free a few weeks ago. And now he shining. That's going to be my biggest personal error of the season I think. Not getting him, for free, when I could've.
Says every guy that had a friend that turned into the hottest girl on the block when he already damn well knew she was. Just had to get away from that repressive father and move in with a permissive Mom the town over.

Now you're a few bucks short and hitching a ride just to go see it. 

Cardinals signed RB Alfred Morris.

We learned the hard way that David Johnson's injury issues were more serious than the Cardinals were letting on, while reserve D.J. Foster is also banged up. Morris spent training camp with the Cowboys but couldn't crack the squad. He worked out for the Cardinals in September. Morris' signing could be as much about Foster as Johnson, but it is obviously a worrying sign for Johnson's Week 8 availability vs. the Saints.
If that's not a "Start Chase Edmonds this week" flag I dunno what is.

The Frankman said:
If that's not a "Start Chase Edmonds this week" flag I dunno what is.
Matchup is a ton harder, he's probably more of an RB2 this week,  but if you mean for the Cardinals, I agree, that likely means Johnson is unlikely to play this week.

Dropping Latavius and Damien Williams for him in leagues this week. It is waiver night and it is time to read the cards "pun intended".

I own Edmunds in a league where im 6-1 and don't own Johnson and I own Johnson in a league where I'm 7-0 and don't own Edmunds.  I feel like I'm relatively unbiased here.  

1) David Johnson is clearly not 100 percent.  He's also clearly not 0 percent.  They said mid week that if the game was Thursday he wouldn't have played. They said he was a game time decision. They started him,  and he came back in later. They've since said he didn't feel right and that Edmunds wanted to keep Johnson healthy but Johnson wanted to play. 

2) Edmunds is playing very well, but he's had some huge holes to run through against 3 bad run defenses in a row.  He barely touched the ball the first 3 weeks, and Johnson didn't get many touches in the juicy part of the schedule. Johnson is still averaging 4 ypc and 10.5 per catch while Edmunds is not as complete a player.  I still expect Johnson to lead the backfield when healthy. 

3) The fact they didn't sign a better player- ajayi or ware or trade for drake -but did sign Morris suggests that they were looking for someone who would be their veteran rb3, not someone they're expecting to play a huge role.  None of these guys are world beaters but Morris is clearly just depth. 

4) that's consistent with my expectation that Johnson is still day to day but not 100 percent.  They don't want to go into a game with only one healthy back again, but they also don't need to go get a good back.  

5) The cardinals upcoming schedule gets tough for rushing yards, but isn't as bad for pass catching rbs. I expect Johnson to come back soon and not only be the lead back, but the significantly more productive one.  .

6) As a Johnson owner, I would not trade for Edmunds this week or next but would prioritize trading for him before the fantasy trade deadline once his value comes back to earth and owners who missed his big game and chased points unsuccessfully just want to dump him.  It's possible Johnson never comes back healthy, but right now you have to pay almost for him as much as a regular starting rb, so why would i overpay for a handcuff when i could wait and pay less, or get a good starter for nearly the same price?  You're way overpaying for insurance if you go get him right now. 

7) as an Edmunds owner, i definitely see the upside and wouldn't trade him cheap, but I'd gladly move him for rb2 value.  Adding good starters all season increases your chances of having the guy who gets hot later in the season, which is the most valuable guy to own. 

😎 in leagues where i own neither, i see David Johnson as a rare rb1 who might be available cheap.  In redraft i want to pay something like mark Ingram.  In dynasty I'd pay a late first but would like to pay less. I wouldn't trade for less than a mid first. 

I own Edmunds in a league where im 6-1 and don't own Johnson and I own Johnson in a league where I'm 7-0 and don't own Edmunds.  I feel like I'm relatively unbiased here.  

1) David Johnson is clearly not 100 percent.  He's also clearly not 0 percent.  They said mid week that if the game was Thursday he wouldn't have played. They said he was a game time decision. They started him,  and he came back in later. They've since said he didn't feel right and that Edmunds wanted to keep Johnson healthy but Johnson wanted to play. 

2) Edmunds is playing very well, but he's had some huge holes to run through against 3 bad run defenses in a row.  He barely touched the ball the first 3 weeks, and Johnson didn't get many touches in the juicy part of the schedule. Johnson is still averaging 4 ypc and 10.5 per catch while Edmunds is not as complete a player.  I still expect Johnson to lead the backfield when healthy. 

3) The fact they didn't sign a better player- ajayi or ware or trade for drake -but did sign Morris suggests that they were looking for someone who would be their veteran rb3, not someone they're expecting to play a huge role.  None of these guys are world beaters but Morris is clearly just depth. 

4) that's consistent with my expectation that Johnson is still day to day but not 100 percent.  They don't want to go into a game with only one healthy back again, but they also don't need to go get a good back.  

5) The cardinals upcoming schedule gets tough for rushing yards, but isn't as bad for pass catching rbs. I expect Johnson to come back soon and not only be the lead back, but the significantly more productive one.  .

6) As a Johnson owner, I would not trade for Edmunds this week or next but would prioritize trading for him before the fantasy trade deadline once his value comes back to earth and owners who missed his big game and chased points unsuccessfully just want to dump him.  It's possible Johnson never comes back healthy, but right now you have to pay almost for him as much as a regular starting rb, so why would i overpay for a handcuff when i could wait and pay less, or get a good starter for nearly the same price?  You're way overpaying for insurance if you go get him right now. 

7) as an Edmunds owner, i definitely see the upside and wouldn't trade him cheap, but I'd gladly move him for rb2 value.  Adding good starters all season increases your chances of having the guy who gets hot later in the season, which is the most valuable guy to own. 

😎 in leagues where i own neither, i see David Johnson as a rare rb1 who might be available cheap.  In redraft i want to pay something like mark Ingram.  In dynasty I'd pay a late first but would like to pay less. I wouldn't trade for less than a mid first. 
This is great analysis. Whether you are right or wrong, time will tell, but you are accurate in that it’s all about what you can get now Edmonds if you have depth at RB and want to trade a piece to upgrade somewhere else.

Just packaged Edmonds with Wentz for Keenan Allen. 

I feel good about this. Edmonds blew up on my bench last week and may blow up on someone else’s squad next week. But it’s a risk I’m willing to take to add a WR1.

My push back here is that Edmonds has averaged over 5 yards per carry in every game this season except one, while DJ has averaged significantly less than 5 yards per carry in every game this season except one. 3.9 ypc is the actual number for DJ and that looks much worse than 4 ypc doesn't it?

Your analysis is akin to the Chargers discovering that Ekeler can play in the NFL and then deciding not to use him. The Cards found themselves a weapon. They are going to use him.

For what it's worth, I'm trying to trade Chase to the DJ owner in my league for Tevin Coleman (I own Breida). So far, I haven't heard back about it.

For what it's worth, I'm trying to trade Chase to the DJ owner in my league for Tevin Coleman (I own Breida). So far, I haven't heard back about it.
Interesting. You'd figure he or she would jump at that. Then again, maybe he or she thinks DJ and Coleman hold off both challengers to the starting throne. 

Interesting. You'd figure he or she would jump at that. Then again, maybe he or she thinks DJ and Coleman hold off both challengers to the starting throne. 
I consulted two other members of my league to gauge the fairness of the offer, and they both thought it was legit from both sides... but, I do understand why they might not want to make the deal, as you've alluded to.

Plus, I think some people have a strong aversion to trading someone they drafted for someone who got picked up on waivers.

This is great analysis. Whether you are right or wrong, time will tell, but you are accurate in that it’s all about what you can get now Edmunds if you have depth at RB and want to trade a piece to upgrade somewhere else.

Just packaged Edmunds with Wentz for Keenan Allen. 

I feel good about this. Edmunds blew up on my bench last week and may blow up on someone else’s squad next week. But it’s a risk I’m willing to take to add a WR1.
still didnt spell it right lol

What's Edmonds' trade value right now? If someone were to move him, what could you expect to get in return?

Maybe Chase Edmonds is that guy though?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but people who own both DJ/Edmonds in redraft likely spent a top 20 pick on DJ, so the sunk cost probably still has them reluctant to admit that their guy is a redraft bust. It's not looking great for him though. If I had both, there's no way I would trade Edmonds right now. Too much risk that he finishes strong and makes you regret it, and his name recognition/brand value are so low that only the most adventurous owners are going to offer anything substantial for him.

In other words, you're not going to get a piece back that has more realistic upside than Edmonds, so you should probably just keep him and hope that this is one of those Priest Holmes, Chris Carson, or Arian Foster ascensions that comes out of nowhere and carries FF teams down the stretch. Or, if DJ comes back and is dynamite, great. You still have the backfield locked up.

At any rate, walking away now when his value is just starting to grow is like sitting down at a poker table and cashing out after winning the blinds on your first hand. You can stick around and maybe win a lot more, and in this case the risk is minimal because I just don't see people going big with offers for this player at this early juncture. He's too much of an unknown and people don't bet big on unknowns. Maybe if it were somebody like Derrius Guice who has big school and draft name recognition people would take that risk, but people tend to shy away from obscure names that came out of nowhere.

This is sort of where price and value are not in concert and the market price doesn't yet reflect all the information certain people may have about the player in relation to other people who aren't aware.

Maybe Chase Edmonds is that guy though?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but people who own both DJ/Edmonds in redraft likely spent a top 20 pick on DJ, so the sunk cost probably still has them reluctant to admit that their guy is a redraft bust. It's not looking great for him though. If I had both, there's no way I would trade Edmonds right now. Too much risk that he finishes strong and makes you regret it, and his name recognition/brand value are so low that only the most adventurous owners are going to offer anything substantial for him.

In other words, you're not going to get a piece back that has more realistic upside than Edmonds, so you should probably just keep him and hope that this is one of those Priest Holmes, Chris Carson, or Arian Foster ascensions that comes out of nowhere and carries FF teams down the stretch. Or, if DJ comes back and is dynamite, great. You still have the backfield locked up.

At any rate, walking away now when his value is just starting to grow is like sitting down at a poker table and cashing out after winning the blinds on your first hand. You can stick around and maybe win a lot more, and in this case the risk is minimal because I just don't see people going big with offers for this player at this early juncture. He's too much of an unknown and people don't bet big on unknowns. Maybe if it were somebody like Derrius Guice who has big school and draft name recognition people would take that risk, but people tend to shy away from obscure names that came out of nowhere.
I certainly wouldn't call DJ a redraft bust.  Not yet anyway.  He's a fringey RB1 in standard, and a few spots better than that in PPR.

FWIW, I own both guys and expect DJ will continue to outscore Edmonds by a wide margin going forward, especially since IMO the rough upcoming schedule will be harder on Edmonds' production than DJ's.

Obviously all of the above can change depending on DJ's injury status, and for that reason I'm grateful to have Edmonds in my back pocket, but a nice offer gets him from me just the same.

I certainly wouldn't call DJ a redraft bust.  Not yet anyway.  He's a fringey RB1 in standard, and a few spots better than that in PPR.

FWIW, I own both guys and expect DJ will continue to outscore Edmonds by a wide margin going forward, especially since IMO the rough upcoming schedule will be harder on Edmonds' production than DJ's.

Obviously all of the above can change depending on DJ's injury status, and for that reason I'm grateful to have Edmonds in my back pocket, but a nice offer gets him from me just the same.
I think you are too heavily anchored to the name brand and what he did in the past. He really hasn't flashed much this season and realistically it's been years since he produced like an elite back. Some of that is injuries, but the story continues this season with middling rushing output. Realistic chance he's just a flex guy come FF playoffs. Maybe he bounces back, but I'd consider it borderline reckless to jettison the handcuff in this situation when Edmonds has looked much more dynamic this year.

This is sort of where price and value are not in concert and the market price doesn't yet reflect all the information certain people may have about the player in relation to other people who aren't aware.
Yep and there’s some roster factors that could wildly swing value. Do you have DJ? What’s your record? Do you have RB depth?

I'm 6-1 in a full PPR and have Edmonds but no DJ. Our trade deadline is early, this week, so I'm trying to sell high. I don't have the option to wait and see this week. I have Fournette and White so week 10 is looking grim for my RB spot with a lot of byes. 

One owner offered Auden Tate. That's definitely not enough. I countered Edmonds for Waller and he declined, understandably.

Another owner has offered Singletary and Montgomery for Edmonds. I don't think it's a terrible offer. Both those guys have had their byes and I like Singletary ROS to get more usage and has a decent schedule. I'm not high on Montgomery but gives me bye week depth at least. At the same time, I'm not sure either guy has the league winning ability that Edmonds does.

The same owner has McCoy. I may take a shot at him but that could be a pipe dream.

What are people getting back for Edmonds in trade right now?

The only thing that matters is what is Edmonds floor is this week? 30? Obviously his ceiling is around 90. 😜  :)

Edmonds has a tough matchup this week so I wouldn't expect that much from him. Maybe low end RB2 in a 12 team league and a great bye week filler for those who have Zeke and Ingram (I might have started him over Ingram depending on the matchup) 

If I were a DJ owner I would be worried that the injury is much worse than they were letting on. They brought in a few RBs before signing Ware which to me would seem to indicate he will be out for a while.  Edmonds could be a league winner but it is way too early to tell so it is really tough to gauge his value.

I'm 6-1 in a full PPR and have Edmonds but no DJ. Our trade deadline is early, this week, so I'm trying to sell high. I don't have the option to wait and see this week. I have Fournette and White so week 10 is looking grim for my RB spot with a lot of byes. 

One owner offered Auden Tate. That's definitely not enough. I countered Edmonds for Waller and he declined, understandably.

Another owner has offered Singletary and Montgomery for Edmonds. I don't think it's a terrible offer. Both those guys have had their byes and I like Singletary ROS to get more usage and has a decent schedule. I'm not high on Montgomery but gives me bye week depth at least. At the same time, I'm not sure either guy has the league winning ability that Edmonds does.

The same owner has McCoy. I may take a shot at him but that could be a pipe dream.

What are people getting back for Edmonds in trade right now?
Singletary and Montgomery? Take it. 

Users who are viewing this thread