What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MFL Commish - can you see other's draft or "watch" lists? (1 Viewer)

matttyl

Footballguy
Mid rookie/free agent draft.  Drama going down.  Just curious, can a commish see other team's draft or watch lists on MFL sits?

Mid rookie/free agent draft.  Drama going down.  Just curious, can a commish see other team's draft or watch lists on MFL sits?
You can if you don't turn off your abilities to do so. If I need to go in and do something for another team, I first must go turn on my abilities to operate as that team and I will get a message that I can see trade offers, pre-draft, waiver claims etc. for teams (I would still need to seek them out if I wanted to see them). When I am done making the move I myst turn these abilities back off. An email goes out to the entire league when I turn them on and then back off.

It's possible your commissioner never had them turned off in the first place and they're always on.

You can if you don't turn off your abilities to do so. If I need to go in and do something for another team, I first must go turn on my abilities to operate as that team and I will get a message that I can see trade offers, pre-draft, waiver claims etc. for teams (I would still need to seek them out if I wanted to see them). When I am done making the move I myst turn these abilities back off. An email goes out to the entire league when I turn them on and then back off.

It's possible your commissioner never had them turned off in the first place and they're always on.
Yeah, you can see it under Reports, Rules, and Settings. It tells you if the commish has locked himself out or not.

Yeah, you can see it under Reports, Rules, and Settings. It tells you if the commish has locked himself out or not.
Good call. Check your league and you should see this: "Commissioner Lockout: Yes, the commissioner has given up his ability to view pending owner-initiated transactions."

If he has not given up those abilities, call him out. To be fair, if he has not logged in as commissioner during the draft, he would not be able to see anything as an owner. So if he hasn't been logging in and out as commissioner, you should feel safe knowing he's not doing the league dirty.

Good call. Check your league and you should see this: "Commissioner Lockout: Yes, the commissioner has given up his ability to view pending owner-initiated transactions."

If he has not given up those abilities, call him out. To be fair, if he has not logged in as commissioner during the draft, he would not be able to see anything as an owner. So if he hasn't been logging in and out as commissioner, you should feel safe knowing he's not doing the league dirty.
Actually I have found that the Activity tracker on MFL is rather poor at tracking activity.  It only records loads of the league home page.  If I have the draft page or rosters page bookmarked and go straight there it doesnt always catch it.  Owners can also access MFL using the mobile app and it doesnt show up at all.  (Ive seen owners decline, counter and accept trades while the activity module still shows them as not having logged in in weeks.)

Unless you implicitly trust your commish, this lockout setting should be on, even if he isnt logging in as commissioner.

Actually I have found that the Activity tracker on MFL is rather poor at tracking activity.  It only records loads of the league home page.  If I have the draft page or rosters page bookmarked and go straight there it doesnt always catch it.  Owners can also access MFL using the mobile app and it doesnt show up at all.  (Ive seen owners decline, counter and accept trades while the activity module still shows them as not having logged in in weeks.)

Unless you implicitly trust your commish, this lockout setting should be on, even if he isnt logging in as commissioner.
I agree and would go one step further. Even if you trust your commissioner it should always be on lockout settings just for appearances - plus there's really zero reason it needs to be kept on. I feel I'm trustworthy but always keep it off, until I need to do something that requires it on. Once I'm done it goes back off.

Says "No, the commissioner still has the ability to view pending owner-initiated transactions."  He has also signed on as commish recently (yesterday in fact).  Likely gives me the answers I need.

So this means he can see pending trade offers, but can he see those two specific lists?  That's not a "pending transaction"

Says "No, the commissioner still has the ability to view pending owner-initiated transactions."  He has also signed on as commish recently (yesterday in fact).  Likely gives me the answers I need.

So this means he can see pending trade offers, but can he see those two specific lists?  That's not a "pending transaction"
He can see everything every other owner has set up: trade offers, waiver claims, pre-draft selections, etc. I'm not sure about a "watch list" but I would imagine he could see that also. He basically can become any team with those abilities on.

"pending owner-initiated transactions".  Yes, he can see those lists.  This is how a commish is able to log in as that owner and do something on their behalf - if they are out of town or unavailable and they want to log in and draft for them, or put in a waiver claim, or whatever.  The commish "is" the owner on all pages, there is nothing he can't see.  I agree with the above, it's not whether or not you trust him.  It's about the appearance of impropriety.   If it's not on the accusation can't land and it's a non-issue. 

Thanks everyone.  I've got a guy as the top guy on my watch list, was thinking he wouldn't be on anyone else's radar.  We're in the middle of our rookie/FA draft currently.  Last night, in a group text, commish (also owner) sent out "looks like matttyl is trying to trade up to the pick on the clock - we all know who he's after, it's obvious.  The guy put up 22 on the bench press at the combine (which is true)."  I'm sure the commish know the player, so either he's a very good guesser, or he looked at my watch list.

As an un-involved observer that knows nothing about you, that seems like a very big leap to make and a very big can of worms to open based on it.  I'd need a ton more than that.

Thanks everyone.  I've got a guy as the top guy on my watch list, was thinking he wouldn't be on anyone else's radar.  We're in the middle of our rookie/FA draft currently.  Last night, in a group text, commish (also owner) sent out "looks like matttyl is trying to trade up to the pick on the clock - we all know who he's after, it's obvious.  The guy put up 22 on the bench press at the combine (which is true)."  I'm sure the commish know the player, so either he's a very good guesser, or he looked at my watch list.
Respond - "It's very obvious, especially to people that are able to view my watch list".

I'm sure you don't want to really go down that road - but bring up innocently that he needs to lockout his abilities as you noticed he has them unlocked.

You'd be surprised what an observant owner can deduce.  Is this player on your favorite team?  Have you picked him in other leagues?  I'm in a bunch of leagues and track many owners' tendencies.  I even noticed one guy is in a different league I'm NOT in, noticed he took Lamar Jackson as the #1 QB (my personal crush this year) earlier than ADP would suggest (maybe #20 overall?) and that he was drafting one pick ahead of my in the 2nd round.  I got nervous and traded over him to take Jackson, and he was PISSED (in a competitive screw you man sort of way, all good).  He didn't use the pick list so that's not an issue but he was astounded I pulled that move.

I use spreadsheets for my lists. Bit of a pain but then I don't have to worry about it.

As an un-involved observer that knows nothing about you, that seems like a very big leap to make and a very big can of worms to open based on it.  I'd need a ton more than that.
We're on pick 19 of our rookie/FA draft.  Each of the prior 18 picks have been rookies.  The player who I'm actually after, who did in fact do 22 bench presses at the combine, is a veteran, not a rookie.  He's not on my favorite team.  I'm in no other league with commish. 

well he is also breaking the "no name dropping" rule

that is usually heavily frowned on (although some leagues don't care)

we are pretty strict about that in ours even having the unethical nature of it in our ruleset

(in the instance above if he gives clues out then he is trying to namedrop indirectly

MFL's commissioner lockout is a joke. Why can't the commissioner perform all the commissioner duties and not see pending transactions? I see no reason that putting in a lineup for someone should allow you to see what trade offers are out there, etc.

Commish cannot see watch list, I just rolled over my redraft league to test it.  There is no drop-down box to choose/change team, and my list is all I see.  It appears using For Owners -> My Player News only parses your players as well, so the key seems to be "pending" like draft picks, trades, etc

well he is also breaking the "no name dropping" rule

that is usually heavily frowned on (although some leagues don't care)

we are pretty strict about that in ours even having the unethical nature of it in our ruleset

(in the instance above if he gives clues out then he is trying to namedrop indirectly
That's a great point, I'd be far more upset about that than I would be suspicious.  That's a huge no-no in my leagues and comes with formal penalties.

MFL's commissioner lockout is a joke. Why can't the commissioner perform all the commissioner duties and not see pending transactions? I see no reason that putting in a lineup for someone should allow you to see what trade offers are out there, etc.
Because there are a lot of other functions it's needed.  Commish can't add/delete a waiver claim without seeing the pending list, or accept a trade for the owner without seeing pending trades.  It's a significant coding job to differentiate access levels and MFL just isn't going to spend resources doing so when they have already provided a way to restrict it.

Commish cannot see watch list, I just rolled over my redraft league to test it.  There is no drop-down box to choose/change team, and my list is all I see.  It appears using For Owners -> My Player News only parses your players as well, so the key seems to be "pending" like draft picks, trades, etc
I do hope that's the case.  Thanks.  Player in question is Chandler Jones (it's an IDP league), and the only reason I'm after him is that I saw last week or so that he was moved from LB back to DL where he'll tear it up.  Like I said, he'd be the first non rookie off the board, which made me realize that the commish really does know who I'm after (who's also the top listed guy on my watch list).  Commish also dropped that he had a 35" vert at the combine (and when combined with the 22 bench reps, eliminates everyone from this year's combine - so he definitely knows).  He must be a good guesser.

I do hope that's the case.  Thanks.  Player in question is Chandler Jones (it's an IDP league), and the only reason I'm after him is that I saw last week or so that he was moved from LB back to DL where he'll tear it up.  Like I said, he'd be the first non rookie off the board, which made me realize that the commish really does know who I'm after (who's also the top listed guy on my watch list).  Commish also dropped that he had a 35" vert at the combine (and when combined with the 22 bench reps, eliminates everyone from this year's combine - so he definitely knows).  He must be a good guesser.
Ok well you said you were "in the middle" of your draft, and I would suggest that Chandler Jones gets nowhere near "the middle" of any draft I'm involved in, so I think it could be a lot more obvious that you are thinking.  He's a late 1st/early 2nd for me in that format, easily. 

Ok well you said you were "in the middle" of your draft, and I would suggest that Chandler Jones gets nowhere near "the middle" of any draft I'm involved in, so I think it could be a lot more obvious that you are thinking.  He's a late 1st/early 2nd for me in that format, easily. 
Now you tell me.  I was thinking I'd get Quinn late after his designation change (he's still available too).  It's late 2nd round in a 10 team draft (pick 19).  Each of 10 teams rostering ~32 players, IDPs included. 

Now you tell me.  I was thinking I'd get Quinn late after his designation change (he's still available too).  It's late 2nd round in a 10 team draft (pick 19).  Each of 10 teams rostering ~32 players, IDPs included. 
Ok well I play in 16 man leagues mostly so pick 19 is about right for Jones just depends on roster needs and how the draft fell.  I was assuming you were farther along than you were based on your "middle" comment.  I'd be very interested in Quinn too, this is not a good DL draft at all, but obviously 10 man leagues make a big difference in depth.  I'd rank Quinn in the early 30's and I think the way my drafts fall I'd probably draft him in the mid/late 40's.

Ok well I play in 16 man leagues mostly so pick 19 is about right for Jones just depends on roster needs and how the draft fell.  I was assuming you were farther along than you were based on your "middle" comment.  I'd be very interested in Quinn too, this is not a good DL draft at all, but obviously 10 man leagues make a big difference in depth.  I'd rank Quinn in the early 30's and I think the way my drafts fall I'd probably draft him in the mid/late 40's.
likely better asked in the IDP threads, but since were here....does the bolded mean you rank him in the early 30s of DLs, or in the early 30s of rookie picks?  And you'd much rather have Jones than Quinn, right? 

Owners can also access MFL using the mobile app and it doesnt show up at all.  (Ive seen owners decline, counter and accept trades while the activity module still shows them as not having logged in in weeks.)
Using the mobile app, or viewing the league via the mobile version of the web page? I ask because I've heard this before but whenever I log in through a smartphone it always shows my activity.

I think you can accept/decline trades directly through email... right? To counter a trade I thought you had to actually log onto the site though.

fruity pebbles said:
Guessing or not. The commish needs to shut the hell up in the middle of a draft. 
Yes.

Great news about the watch list, @Hankmoody, I was a little nervous there.  

RE: Chandler Jones, in a rookie/FA draft, with the designation change, I would take him right after the top 2 or 3 LBs.  Even still, that's a pretty good guess from the commish.

But if he cannot see our watchlist, maybe he's just wicked smart.  

And how do both of you know how many bench reps he had?  Odd.  

Yes.

RE: Chandler Jones, in a rookie/FA draft, with the designation change, I would take him right after the top 2 or 3 LBs.  Even still, that's a pretty good guess from the commish.

To be clear, it's only the actual Watch List (For Owners -> My Watch List) - it's not the interface found under For Owners -> Draft.  Those they can see - any results you put in via the My Draft List function will still be listed on the left and anyone you've queued up will be on the right:

https://imgur.com/a/2smqtVt

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not anything bad toward the commissh, it's just the right thing to do to turn this off unless you need it on.  As a commish you should leave no doubt. 

Jello_Biafra said:

That’s a great question.  I have used it in the past after BB FA awards when an owner thought he had bid on a player he did not get, or thought he had a lower bid on a player he lost.  It allows me to verify what he did during the bidding process and share that with him so he can see what happened.  Happens at least once a season since the league’s start in 2002.

It also allows me to make FA bids/trade offers or complete trades for others when an owner can’t access mfl for some reason.

I try to remember to switch back to owner afterwards but sometimes I forget to do so.

It really does help the league run much smoother and keeps things fully on the up & up, but yeah the potential for abuse is definitely there. 

Yes.

I had to look it up.  I'm sure he did, too.  That was his way of saying who it was without saying who it was.  When I looked it up and saw 22, I knew he had me. 

Dr. Octopus said:
I agree and would go one step further. Even if you trust your commissioner it should always be on lockout settings just for appearances - plus there's really zero reason it needs to be kept on. I feel I'm trustworthy but always keep it off, until I need to do something that requires it on. Once I'm done it goes back off.
I have a Commish who refused to turn it off. He said it’s too much of a pain in the ### every time someone needs something for him to do. Like reverse a pick up that shouldn’t have happened, etc. My argument was those are one-offs that rarely happen, it takes 30 seconds to turn on and off and it would be better optically for all to know nothing going on even though we trust him. Either way he said he won’t. So, I stay only because my team is good but if I ever fall off the tracks it will be the first league to go.

@matttyl

My guess is that the commish probably knows your username here and follows you.  A week before the comment you were talking about possibly drafting Chandler Jones in the 2nd round of your draft (maybe the same draft?).

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/765197-mfl-position-updates-36/
Very well could be, but I doubt it.  The league apparently kept an eye on position changes (I'd been a sticking point in our league for years - we used to have a rule that if you draft a player at a certain position you got to keep him there - so having Suggs years ago was great for me!).  Jones' position change happened earlier this month, and the league knows I pay attention to that kinda stuff.

You make a good point about covering your online tracks, though.

Users who are viewing this thread