What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Open Letter To JB,& Posters (1 Viewer)

seahawk 17

Footballguy
Things have changed...but let me tell you what,

I started on this board when it was Old Yeller. I had a triple digit number and I was someone. Then it became this site, and missed the bus. I now have 4 numbers in my user history.

I am one of the few who have never hid. Losing my kids, dating an 18 year old, my dad losing a high profile job, my brother coming back after 3 tours of Iraq & Afghanistan, banging hotter chicks than Otis....I can go on and on. That is a 20 year snapshot.

So, things are changing. This is the only board I visit. This is my safe place. I lurked on the who is hottest threads. Posted once in the yoga pants thread (I think they are gross, smell, and spread bacteria,)

My wife's grandma is dying and neither want to see each other. (They are weird) I can't tell people the whole story. But I can tell family..that's you guys.

The board will always change, just as we do. Sad as it is, most of my emotional development has been because of this place. I love it.

Word, man. I love this place. If there's any #####ing on my end, it's because I care. 

Best to you and your loved ones, man. I hope your wife and grandmother see fit to care for each other in a time of need. 

That's all. 

Blessed are us to have diversions like this.  

Is this the same guy that bet me a 6-er of local beer if jay cutler didn’t out produce rusty Wilson a few years ago?

Things have changed...but let me tell you what,

I started on this board when it was Old Yeller. I had a triple digit number and I was someone. Then it became this site, and missed the bus. I now have 4 numbers in my user history.

I am one of the few who have never hid. Losing my kids, dating an 18 year old, my dad losing a high profile job, my brother coming back after 3 tours of Iraq & Afghanistan, banging hotter chicks than Otis....I can go on and on. That is a 20 year snapshot.

So, things are changing. This is the only board I visit. This is my safe place. I lurked on the who is hottest threads. Posted once in the yoga pants thread (I think they are gross, smell, and spread bacteria,)

My wife's grandma is dying and neither want to see each other. (They are weird) I can't tell people the whole story. But I can tell family..that's you guys.

The board will always change, just as we do. Sad as it is, most of my emotional development has been because of this place. I love it.
Thanks @seahawk 17 for being part of it. 

Fair point. We've never claimed to be "all that". And I agree maybe "message boards" might not be "special".

But this isn't just a "message board".

This is a community.

And quite a few people here think that's "special". 
Community huh? You mean like that one time I started a thread promoting one of your dear community member’s tasty hot sauces (HotSauceGuy) and the thread was deleted with no explanation?  That sure sounds like a special community to me! Unless you’re promoting FBGs or FanDuel, you can’t promote each other. Swell community, Joe. Gimme a break dude. I can see through the phoniness. 

More of a lurker than a poster, but a few years back my FIL was diagnosed with lung cancer due to asbestos.  I posted here about it and got a lot of good information and advice.. Even some "hard" advice that at the time, I didn't necessarily want to hear, but it helped.

He was having surgery in another State to remove a lung and try to extend his life a little longer.  One of the members from here found out where we were staying and somehow, some way got us an extremely awesome discount on our hotel..saved us $100's...  He wanted to remain anonymous, so I'm not going to mention his screen name nor the City.  Unlike the majority of FBG's, I'm not independently weathy (having 4 kids doesn't help that) and the discount was extremely appreciated.

So yeah, I think this board is pretty damn "special".

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here...I've been more of a lurker than anything special towards contribution. I've been around since the really early days. I have traditionally used this board mostly for entertainment purposes. But there have been plenty of times that I've come away with very useful information, maybe some history I never paid much attention to, and to some degree - see vantage points from a totally different viewpoint than my own. I, for one, enjoy it - even for all that's seemingly wrong with it.

More of a lurker than a poster, but a few years back my FIL was diagnosed with lung cancer due to asbestos.  I posted here about it and got a lot of good information and advice.. Even some "hard" advice that at the time, I didn't necessarily want to hear, but it helped.

He was having surgery in another State to remove a lung and try to extend his life a little longer.  One of the members from here found out where we were staying and somehow, some way got us an extremely awesome discount on our hotel..saved us $100's...  He wanted to remain anonymous, so I'm not going to mention his screen name nor the City.  Unlike the majority of FBG's, I'm not independently weathy (having 4 kids doesn't help that) and the discount was extremely appreciated.

So yeah, I think this board is pretty damned "special".
That's awesome. 

Community huh? You mean like that one time I started a thread promoting one of your dear community member’s tasty hot sauces (HotSauceGuy) and the thread was deleted with no explanation?  That sure sounds like a special community to me! Unless you’re promoting FBGs or FanDuel, you can’t promote each other. Swell community, Joe. Gimme a break dude. I can see through the phoniness. 
I like how this guy accidentally made the OP's point even better than the OP.

There's a political forum now.

Levi is gone for good.

Cstu welched on a bet hard core and slithered away in shame.  He offered to send monthly payments by carrier pigeon but was rejected.

You can't say moron anymore, except to me in a whisper.

Discussion of women's looks: AVOID

Discussion of tacos: EXPLOIT

@SWC has the best shtick now, which you can take to your local financial institution and deposit.

You can @ people and you can like posts.  But you can't search for anything.

Smoo came back recently, which made me feel dumber.

Otis is dieting again, which made me feel skinnier.

The eat-off is still tied.

I think that's it.

I like how this guy accidentally made the OP's point even better than the OP.
How so? A thread was deleted because it was promoting a member’s business and it wasn’t the business owner promoting himself it was a bunch of us promoting his tasty hot sauces. Thread got deleted by Joe. How does that display community to you from Joe’s perspective? When leaders of said community only allow their content to be promoted, that is no longer a community. 

How so? A thread was deleted because it was promoting a member’s business and it wasn’t the business owner promoting himself it was a bunch of is promoting his tasty hot sauces. Thread got deleted by Joe. How does that display community to you?
I guess you got me there.  A hot sauce thread being deleted trumps people shepherding others through their most difficult life crises.  Point for you.

started on Old Yella ...after going through some lumps myself , was off the board for awhile since job and lifestyle changed..... now back again after being a little more settled in my life..... trying to catch up on what everyone is referencing as changes on the board... not sure I get the gist 

How so? A thread was deleted because it was promoting a member’s business and it wasn’t the business owner promoting himself it was a bunch of us promoting his tasty hot sauces. Thread got deleted by Joe. How does that display community to you from Joe’s perspective? When leaders of said community only allow their content to be promoted, that is no longer a community. 
I see it as being consistent in eschewing all "who's hottest" threads.

There once was a FFA board we all called home.

where who is hottest, yoga pants and over 50 milfs did roam.

then there was way too much arguing about Trump

So a sub forum was created with threads Squistion could bump

The who is hottest, milfs and yoga threads were soon to disappear

Taken over with threads talking of grills, tacos and beer

Members keep talking about what could have been

If the potential new buyer was not Joel Osteen

Couple of things.

I dug into what @rhythmdoctor was talking about. Looks like there was a 3 page thread last year that for some reason was hidden here https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/760701-lucky-dog-hot-sauce/ .  I've restored it. 

And then a new thread with the same topic was started in its place  https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/761122-lucky-dog-hot-sauce/ 

It seems odd as the replacement thread is still live as it seems to be exactly the same topic as the original thread. If the original thread was hidden, the replacement thread should have been hidden too. It looks like it was me and I apologize for the confusion and am not sure what happened there. Anyway, both are now live. 

Which does bring up a legit second point. We've always tried to be super sensitive to not allowing the boards to turn into a place for posters to use to advertise products. As people talk about the community here, a big part of that is we don't allow posters to be constantly pimping their product. 

A brick and mortar restaurant or store is one thing. People love following along Tipsy's BBQ or Pollards restaurant. But those are different as this board is largely not their potential customer base. When you're selling something in a spotify or etsy shop, it's different as this audience is the target audience. I'm not saying Rhythmdoctor did this, but the normal way it goes is another poster innocently asks the question in a non spammy way and the guy selling the product magically appears and "helps" the poster out and starts advertising his product. Again, I'm not saying that's what happened with the hot sauce thread but that's a way it can happen and something we obviously don't want. 

So it's a fine line. And one we try to walk the best we can. 

Other things that factor in are what kind of poster is the person selling stuff? Are they actively involved in the community? (Hot Sauce Guy definitely was). Another angle is how the balance goes between "trying to sell a bunch of stuff" and "giving information to the community". In other words, a thread that is all "buy this product" won't fly. But if there's a ton of good information not about selling the product being exchanged, that's a plus. (and there was in the Hot Sauce thread).

So bottom line, it's another gray area. Like a lot of what we do. We'll try to do our best navigating these and play them by ear. But in general, we don't want the boards to be a place where people use the boards to promote their internet products. 

Hope that makes a little sense. 

Joe Bryant said:
Fair point. We've never claimed to be "all that". And I agree maybe "message boards" might not be "special".

But this isn't just a "message board".

This is a community.

And quite a few people here think that's "special". 
With all do respect, I think it is the people that make it special. I don't remember when I 1st started posting, but it was for just fantasy football reasons and while I still play, i spend way more time in the FFA then the Shark Pool. 

Users who are viewing this thread