What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ⅿ- Mandalorian Series! (1 Viewer)

Jango only wore the armor.  I believe in The Clone Wars we learn that the Mandalorian government only considered him a common mercenary with no tie to The Mandalorians.
I took that more as he doesn't represent us, now t that he wasn't Mandalorian. If the queen of mandalore know who you are, I think you are Mandalorian.

I took that more as he doesn't represent us, now t that he wasn't Mandalorian. If the queen of mandalore know who you are, I think you are Mandalorian.
This is a good point.  I struggle sometimes to understand the difference between being a general mandalorian and being one of The Mandalorians (if that makes any sense).

Jango also wasn't born on Mandalore, so maybe there is a touch of "nationalism" (wrong word but you get the idea) going on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Episode 3 was the best yet.  THIS is Star Wars.  Two thumbs up.
I've seen a couple of these comments and I am just curious - does that mean you haven't really enjoyed the series of movies?    To me this is a bit different than the movies for better or worse.  

NewlyRetired said:
This is a good point.  I struggle sometimes to understand the difference between being a general mandalorian and being one of The Mandalorians (if that makes any sense).

Jango also wasn't born on Mandalore, so maybe there is a touch of "nationalism" (wrong word but you get the idea) going on.
Well in the old EU, there was a civil war on Mandalore. The nativists who were natural born Mandalorians called Death Watch vs the pacifists for lack of a better term. Not all natives believed in the natural born cause and fought for all of Mandalore. But they had a lot of warriors adopted into the culture. Jango Fett being one of them led the pacifists army over Death Watch in some decisive battles. 

Who knows what justification they give now.

Episode 4 is easily the weakest so far. I think this one really shows how the 30-38 min format hurts ultimately. There wasn't enough time used to set up certain scenes plausibly. Add in the cliche love angle and wanting to leave Boda in a "safe" place that you obviously came to because it wasn't safe and I can't imagine too many people liking this one. 

Still like the show though. Seeing an At-St emerge from the woods with those red eyes would be pretty terrifying. 

SPOILERS

Thought episode 4 was pretty cheesy and formulaic (maybe how I’m starting to feel about the whole thing actually). I’ll still watch it because Star Wars. But stranger comes to town. Meets lady who takes him in. He helps the poor villagers overcome the odds and the marauders that have been terrifying the village persons for far too long. How do you ask?  We will train the farmers to fight!  And set traps!  !

And you need a big plot challenge beyond that, and enter ATST.  Make him step into the pond. 

I wish you could stay with us hero. Settle down and we’ll have a life together. I’m a loner and this isn’t the place for me. 

Credits 

SPOILERS

Thought episode 4 was pretty cheesy and formulaic (maybe how I’m starting to feel about the whole thing actually). I’ll still watch it because Star Wars. But stranger comes to town. Meets lady who takes him in. He helps the poor villagers overcome the odds and the marauders that have been terrifying the village persons for far too long. How do you ask?  We will train the farmers to fight!  And set traps!  !

And you need a big plot challenge beyond that, and enter ATST.  Make him step into the pond. 

I wish you could stay with us hero. Settle down and we’ll have a life together. I’m a loner and this isn’t the place for me. 

Credits 
WHY DIDN'T THEY SNEAK INTO THE AT-ST AT NIGHT AND DUMP THE EXPLODY HOCKEY PUCK IN THERE INSTEAD OF SNEAKING INTO THE CENTER OF THE WHOLE STUPID CAMP?

It’s still enjoyable enough for me, but I think we just have to expect and accept YA-level plot  complexity. 

Training scene bordered on parody for me. Only thing missing was dude raising the pulse rifle and bellowing “Listen up you primitive screwheads, this is my BOOMSTICK!”

Gotta add: I would love if this show had started with him having nothing, and earning scraps of armor one piece at a time. Shoot, I’d be all in on the Mandalorian version of Forged in Fire.

SPOILERS

Credits 
This is exactly how my 9 year old nephew explained the episode to me:slapithigh:

I’m not sure the target audience is 40 something message board nerds who over analyze everything :shrug:

I love westerns and Star Wars, and I find even the one-off episodes refreshing since everything else is a serialized drama these days. This is the first Star Wars content I’ve enjoyed without qualification since I was a kid.  Two thumbs up. 

This is exactly how my 9 year old nephew explained the episode to me:slapithigh:

I’m not sure the target audience is 40 something message board nerds who over analyze everything :shrug:
Yea I mean it’s not breaking bad and it’s not meant to be. 

They did in The Clone Wars too.  I wonder if it is some new thing that started post the purge by the Empire they mention?
The article I read about this topic stated that the characters who took off the helmets, like Sabine and Jango, were not die hard followers of the Mandalorian religion/ways.

from what I can tell there are some who take it significantly more seriously, maybe something akin to a Hasidic Judiasm vs regular Judiasm?

So the tracking fobs - do they track the kid himself? How does that work? Otherwise, I’d think the first thing you do is remove the tracker from the kid. And if it does track the kid himself, you can never stop running and never leave the kid alone until he can fend for himself. And considering he’s still basically a toddler at 50 years old, that’s going to be a very long time.

The article I read about this topic stated that the characters who took off the helmets, like Sabine and Jango, were not die hard followers of the Mandalorian religion/ways.

from what I can tell there are some who take it significantly more seriously, maybe something akin to a Hasidic Judiasm vs regular Judiasm?
Lapsed Mandalorians?

I dunno. Pre Vizsla took his helmet off and he was the leader of Death Watch.  They seemed pretty die hard Mandalorians.  

I dunno. Pre Vizsla took his helmet off and he was the leader of Death Watch.  They seemed pretty die hard Mandalorians.  
Pre Vizala and the death watch was mentioned and they speculated that because they were terrorists they held on to different ideals.

I have also seen mention that maybe the great purge in the Mandalorian society brought back some old and forgotten ways like not taking off the helmet.

It is all guess work until if or when  Favreau decides to explain it.

Fun factoid, Jon Favreau voiced Pre Vizla.

Watched all 4 episodes last night and really enjoyed it.  That's not baby Yoda though right? This takes place after ROTJ.  

Watched all 4 episodes last night and really enjoyed it.  That's not baby Yoda though right? This takes place after ROTJ.  
Not baby Yoda. That's just what people are calling him because we don't have a name for their species yet.

I've been calling him Boda.

I am still in the "it's OK" camp.   The positives and negatives are balancing each other out for me and making it an average show.  I do really like they way they are setting up the mystery of who these people are and like the world building of these locations after the events of Jedi.   However, I really don't like westerns and evidently baby yoda can't penetrate my black heart because I am for sure done with how much time we spend with his/her cutesy stuff, so my enjoyment is lowered.  The son seems to like it, so we will for sure still finish off the season.  

agree episode 4 was the weakest 

I love how they bring back the original non speaking characters/droids ...I had all of the action figures 

I want that cat. Even if it reminds me of the chesire cat in the more recent Alice in wonderland.

Agree this was the weakest episode but I enjoyed it. The scene where the "pretty" lady is attempting to convince him to stay was cringy. We never got the impression they were there more than a couple of days and they seemed to insinuate that she had fallen for him, despite not knowing anything about him or what he looked like. It was weird and rushed.

I admit I did lol when he deadpanned the delivery of the message to the villagers of "Bad news, you people can't live here anymore."

Listening to a nerdy podcast about SW and the show and their theory is that it really makes little sense if this thing is Yoda's offspring, reincarnation, or whatever theory on those lines people are floating.  Most likely it's either just one of his species, but sought after because all the other ones we have seen are very strong with the force too, or:

A clone.  Their claim was that by using the Mandalorian with him, it's making us think of the Fetts and the cloning they came from.  Also they said something about it's baby pod looking like Kamino engineering? 

Put it in spoilers just in case.  I am sure somebody here probably floated that theory though.  

I am still in the "it's OK" camp.   The positives and negatives are balancing each other out for me and making it an average show.  I do really like they way they are setting up the mystery of who these people are and like the world building of these locations after the events of Jedi.   However, I really don't like westerns and evidently baby yoda can't penetrate my black heart because I am for sure done with how much time we spend with his/her cutesy stuff, so my enjoyment is lowered.  The son seems to like it, so we will for sure still finish off the season.  
Wait, you're not enamored with a TV show? I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked....

Agree this was the weakest episode but I enjoyed it. The scene where the "pretty" lady is attempting to convince him to stay was cringy. We never got the impression they were there more than a couple of days and they seemed to insinuate that she had fallen for him, despite not knowing anything about him or what he looked like. It was weird and rushed.

I admit I did lol when he deadpanned the delivery of the message to the villagers of "Bad news, you people can't live here anymore."
I feel like they mentioned something that a decent amount of time had passed. Something was said that made it longer than a few days, it's why he was getting ready to leave baby yoda there and go solo.

I feel like they mentioned something that a decent amount of time had passed. Something was said that made it longer than a few days, it's why he was getting ready to leave baby yoda there and go solo.
Yes, after the battle, they said several weeks passed during the scene where Baby Yoda plays with the children and Mando believes that leaving the child will be better for him in the long run.

The only confusing part of this is that Mando knows that there are a ton of fobs out there for Baby Yoda and he should have known the baby was going to be tracked eventually, which is what happened.

Yes, after the battle, they said several weeks passed during the scene where Baby Yoda plays with the children and Mando believes that leaving the child will be better for him in the long run.

The only confusing part of this is that Mando knows that there are a ton of fobs out there for Baby Yoda and he should have known the baby was going to be tracked eventually, which is what happened.
It was a little ambiguous what the range on the fobs was. They seemed to be more of a short range thing.  From Mando’s comments right before the attack, I was left with the impression that the last bounty hunter heard about the battle and put two and two together. 

I've seen a couple of these comments and I am just curious - does that mean you haven't really enjoyed the series of movies?    To me this is a bit different than the movies for better or worse.  
The new movies have the Resistance fighting the New Order.  Huh?

They looked and sounded legit, which is why I keep coming back for more, but they are basically a reboot with new characters.  Meh.  The last one (IMO) was the first Star Wars movie of all of them (including the Prequels, including Solo) that didn't end with a feeling of either "I want to see the next move RIGHT NOW!!!!!~!~!@!!1!!!!~!!" or "I want to see this movie again RIGHT NOW!!!~!~!11!!!!!".

This is like settling back into the SW universe in a way that The Last Jedi wasn't.

Also, they should have done this 25 years ago.

Also, they need some John Williams SW music up in this show.

Users who are viewing this thread