What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ⅿ- Mandalorian Series! (2 Viewers)

not thrilled so far.  and i hate to say it.  

first a quasi dune rip off.  then a straight up aliens ripoff.  what's next?  the borg?  predator?

not thrilled so far.  and i hate to say it.  

first a quasi dune rip off.  then a straight up aliens ripoff.  what's next?  the borg?  predator?
Wow.  The dune rip off, as you call it, was my second favorite episode so far.  And this episode, we got x-wings again, and Baby Yoda eating those eggs were gold.

I'm loving the season so far!

I was a bit disappointed in that one.  A bit too much "To be continued" about it.
I do wish they’d advance the plot a little bit more but damn these two episodes have been fun. I think they went for plot advancement the last 4 eps of last season so maybe we’ll see the same again. 

My son told me this was a "filler" episode before I watched it last night and I tend to agree.  I also discussed a few things with him.  My entire Star Wars world is based on the movies.  While he's seen the movies, the main focus of his worldview is from Rebels.

1. I am so ignorant as to the timeline issues, I actually thought "Baby Yoda" was actually Yoda, as a child.  When my son told me the character at the end of Ep. 1 was likely Boba, I had to re-think that.  The time frame of this series is still confusing me, but for him it totally makes sense because he's grounded in Rebels.

2.  The one thing that jumped out at me in this episode is that the group that attacked Mando's speeder at the beginning was clearly making a play for baby Yoda.  They knew something from someone.

3.  I was confused when Mando said, "may the force be with you."  He's shown total ignorance to what the force is (something like, "His species can move objects with their mind!")  But, given the timeframe and the X-wings last night, obviously the concept of the Force is well known in the universe at this time, and one would assume he is aware of the Jedi.  Yet he and the Mando armorer in Season 1 were totally ignorant.  Maybe this is just a matter of - its a big universe and the things we know about Luke, Vadar, Yoda, the council, etc. are not known by everyone?  How could the Mandalorians not know the story of Jango and Boba?

My son told me this was a "filler" episode before I watched it last night and I tend to agree.  I also discussed a few things with him.  My entire Star Wars world is based on the movies.  While he's seen the movies, the main focus of his worldview is from Rebels.

1. I am so ignorant as to the timeline issues, I actually thought "Baby Yoda" was actually Yoda, as a child.  When my son told me the character at the end of Ep. 1 was likely Boba, I had to re-think that.  The time frame of this series is still confusing me, but for him it totally makes sense because he's grounded in Rebels.

2.  The one thing that jumped out at me in this episode is that the group that attacked Mando's speeder at the beginning was clearly making a play for baby Yoda.  They knew something from someone.

3.  I was confused when Mando said, "may the force be with you."  He's shown total ignorance to what the force is (something like, "His species can move objects with their mind!")  But, given the timeframe and the X-wings last night, obviously the concept of the Force is well known in the universe at this time, and one would assume he is aware of the Jedi.  Yet he and the Mando armorer in Season 1 were totally ignorant.  Maybe this is just a matter of - its a big universe and the things we know about Luke, Vadar, Yoda, the council, etc. are not known by everyone?  How could the Mandalorians not know the story of Jango and Boba?
I don’t want to do spoiler tags bc I don’t think it’s spoiler stuff, but yes my interpretation is that it’s a big universe and there isn’t a cable news network or the New York Times to reveal who defeated the empire — just the rebels. So given how big the universe is and how people like the Mandalorian stay out on the margins, it seems possible to me he wouldn’t have heard of Luke, etc. 

The timeframe for this show is relatively recent after episode 6 — I forgot how many years but just a few. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t want to do spoiler tags bc I don’t think it’s spoiler stuff, but yes my interpretation is that it’s a big universe and there isn’t a cable news network or the New York Times to reveal who defeated the empire — just the rebels. So given how big the universe is and how people like the Mandalorian stay out on the margins, it seems possible to me he wouldn’t have heard of Luke, etc. 

The timeframe for this show is relatively recent after episode 6 — I forgot how many years but just a few. 
About 5-years after the Jedi.

I had an issue with Mando using that phrase, but I suspect it has simply become a common saying of those in the New Republic, so he just said it to fit the situation.  As we know from the sequels, the New Republic isn't so smooth and everything isn't standardized even 30 years later.  The Galaxy is an expansive Wild West with the Republic/Empire/New Republic having member systems trying to organize and create peace, structure,  and wealth basically.

Others have answered the time line for you but your son being grounded in Rebels is going to serve him well.  All indications we have is that this season is going to have plenty of Rebels tie ins.  Even the Spider crabs from episode 2 look directly lifted from Rebels.

I do wish they’d advance the plot a little bit more but damn these two episodes have been fun. I think they went for plot advancement the last 4 eps of last season so maybe we’ll see the same again. 
This is the "plot."   The show is the A-Team in outer space.  Instead of being fugitives trying to clear their name, he is a fugitive trying to find Baby Yoda's family.  That isn't the point of the show.   The show is a series of one-off episodes loosely held together by the Baby Yoda arc story where each week he meets someone who needs help and does his thing with a makeshift group of good guys.   

This is the "plot."   The show is the A-Team in outer space.  Instead of being fugitives trying to clear their name, he is a fugitive trying to find Baby Yoda's family.  That isn't the point of the show.   The show is a series of one-off episodes loosely held together by the Baby Yoda arc story where each week he meets someone who needs help and does his thing with a makeshift group of good guys.   
I think the baby yoda arc is more important than you suggest. While there are certainly a lot of one-offs, I expect those new republic guys we met in ep 2 to show up later to help. Have to introduce them first. 

they weren't though... apparently they were based on some original trilogy art work:  https://screenrant.com/mandalorian-season-2-episode-2-spiders-species-krykna/
It looks like they were both sourced/inspired from the same material as they look so similar.

Here is the source material from Empire: https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/8/89/RMQ-KnobbyWhiteSpider.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/1000?cb=20070807181205

Here is the spider from Rebels: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/File:Krykna-SWCT.png

My 17 year old was complaining about the serial nature of the show, and the A-Team is the exact show I came up with to explain how it works.  Instead of running from General Stockwell, Mando is looking after Baby Yoda.  Each of these moves the main character(s) from encounter to encounter, but aren't what the show is about in the end.

Maybe Baby Yoda will have more impact as the series moves on, but up until now, there isnt. 

Sometime ago a Mandalorian was sent to die for the crime of saving The Child. This man promptly escaped from an Imperial brigade to the Outer Rim underground. Today, still wanted by Moff Gideon, he survives as a soldier of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire the Mandalorian.

I think the baby yoda arc is more important than you suggest. While there are certainly a lot of one-offs, I expect those new republic guys we met in ep 2 to show up later to help. Have to introduce them first. 
I don’t think so.  Baby Yoda is a plot device.  The individual stories are pretty much unrelated.  If you’re hoping the arc story gets advanced I think you’re looking at x-files type disappointment.  The story isn’t the show.

I was a bit disappointed in that one.  A bit too much "To be continued" about it.
Agreed. Even my son mentioned that it was a focus on one thing type of show, i.e. didn’t go anywhere. The dragon last week was a fun start and “mission” episode but at least felt let you accomplished something getting the armor. They could have just sat in the cave and not dropped and no change in any story arc. Other than baby yoda eating the eggs, the rest was meh and a complete Aliens rip-off. I’d be interested in the physics of frozen baby spider pods somehow opening a million years after the ice age started on that planet. Didn’t seem like there was much to eat but those spiders got huge. Anyway, when you get 20+ episodes a season a throwaway isn’t a big deal. When you get 8 episodes a year, a throwaway is a lot.

I don’t think so.  Baby Yoda is a plot device.  The individual stories are pretty much unrelated.  If you’re hoping the arc story gets advanced I think you’re looking at x-files type disappointment.  The story isn’t the show.
That would be disappointing. I get it, but even in the X-Files they did have longer story arcs. Whether you liked them or not, X-Files did have longer story lines intertwined and to a certain degree investigating the one offs was their actual job. I’ll still watch and it wasn’t awful, but if it’s just episodic and nothing else it won’t be as good for me.

I think they advanced it quite a bit last year. It definitely turned less episodic at the end of the season. We’ll see. 

Agreed. Even my son mentioned that it was a focus on one thing type of show, i.e. didn’t go anywhere. The dragon last week was a fun start and “mission” episode but at least felt let you accomplished something getting the armor. They could have just sat in the cave and not dropped and no change in any story arc. Other than baby yoda eating the eggs, the rest was meh and a complete Aliens rip-off. I’d be interested in the physics of frozen baby spider pods somehow opening a million years after the ice age started on that planet. Didn’t seem like there was much to eat but those spiders got huge. Anyway, when you get 20+ episodes a season a throwaway isn’t a big deal. When you get 8 episodes a year, a throwaway is a lot.
Are you sure you wouldn't rather be watching Star Trek?  Don't they have one or two new series out there atm?

Are you sure you wouldn't rather be watching Star Trek?  Don't they have one or two new series out there atm?
I was more joking about that. Let’s be honest, it was basically Aliens mixed with the spider above from earlier Star Wars lore. Frozen solid sacks seem like a bad way to spawn and mom and dad spider were just asleep for millenniums. Anyway, I was only bothered that we didn’t even get frog lady anywhere, so now we have another episode of baby yoda eating her kids.

Andy Dufresne said:
They're ripping off Mass Effect.

First it was the Thresher Maw then it was the Rachni.

Still pretty cool though. The production value is terrific - it just LOOKS great.
Disagree. Krayt Dragons have been established in Star Wars well before Mass Effect and are distinctly lizard like. Thresher Maws are just literally giant worms. 

Rachni are much more intelligent than the spider monsters and look more like a cross between scorpions and crickets than spiders. 

Now Star Trek Picard, they have blatantly plagiarized Mass Effect lifting whole scenes and bits of lore. 

Psychopav said:
Don't worry. Star trek is currently way dumber in the details than Star Wars at this point. 

stbugs said:
I was more joking about that. Let’s be honest, it was basically Aliens mixed with the spider above from earlier Star Wars lore. Frozen solid sacks seem like a bad way to spawn and mom and dad spider were just asleep for millenniums. Anyway, I was only bothered that we didn’t even get frog lady anywhere, so now we have another episode of baby yoda eating her kids.
Not really kids. They're unfertilized eggs. Basically like the dozen chicken eggs you'd find at the store as far as Boda is concerned. The only cringe worthy part is that he eats them raw. Unless he's doing some Rocky montage training soon.  Kid has an iron stomach. 

The thing is, for all the cute and good-jedi you expect from a Yoda species, he's intentionally doing things he's not told. Eating the eggs after being told no, eating the frog-thing last season...

There's no evidence he's not an evil-jedi. 

Mando might have to kill him at some point before he gets too powerful.

stbugs said:
Didn’t the end show then rolling through the galaxy? I assumed that meant they were dropping her off. Guess I’d be a little surprised if we see more of frog lady in EP 3. 

The thing is, for all the cute and good-jedi you expect from a Yoda species, he's intentionally doing things he's not told. Eating the eggs after being told no, eating the frog-thing last season...

There's no evidence he's not an evil-jedi. 

Mando might have to kill him at some point before he gets too powerful.
I'm not looking that deep. I think he's just a bratty kid ignoring his parental figure.

Didn’t the end show then rolling through the galaxy? I assumed that meant they were dropping her off. Guess I’d be a little surprised if we see more of frog lady in EP 3. 
That's how I took it. It's like the old serial shows that ended with an implied "and everything worked out in the end."

the rover said:
It was pretty amazing he could get that ship flying and spaceworthy with a toolbox from Sears.  
This is what threw it for me. I get the notion of suspension of disbelief, but this one was a step too far -- he fixed a ripped apart hull of a spacecraft with a handtorch, and brought the ship back from a smoking wreck not once, but twice in the same episode? C'mon.

Not really kids. They're unfertilized eggs. Basically like the dozen chicken eggs you'd find at the store as far as Boda is concerned. The only cringe worthy part is that he eats them raw. Unless he's doing some Rocky montage training soon.  Kid has an iron stomach. 
Watching that poor frog woman numbly grieving for the lost eggs -- the last link to her entire lineage -- completely unable to utter her despair and heartbreak to anyone around who could understand her, her croaking desperate pleas for help and intervention simply bouncing off the cold, hard shell of a faceless mercenary who knows full well what's going on but can't be bothered to do anything more than gently chide his monstrous, ravenous, neonate-killing grub of a carnivorous humanoid toddler...

...yeah, I think they were more than just unfertilized eggs.

I'm not looking that deep. I think he's just a bratty kid ignoring his parental figure.
I think he’s just tired of people giving him the wrong food. Pretty obvious he needs a critter-based diet. (And 900 year old Yoda was still a brat and snatched Luke’s rations on Dagobah).

This is what threw it for me. I get the notion of suspension of disbelief, but this one was a step too far -- he fixed a ripped apart hull of a spacecraft with a handtorch, and brought the ship back from a smoking wreck not once, but twice in the same episode? C'mon.

Watching that poor frog woman numbly grieving for the lost eggs -- the last link to her entire lineage -- completely unable to utter her despair and heartbreak to anyone around who could understand her, her croaking desperate pleas for help and intervention simply bouncing off the cold, hard shell of a faceless mercenary who knows full well what's going on but can't be bothered to do anything more than gently chide his monstrous, ravenous, neonate-killing grub of a carnivorous humanoid toddler...

...yeah, I think they were more than just unfertilized eggs.
Maybe Mando was just negging her and it worked. She was pretty quick to get nekkid in the hot tub quickly enough...

(but yeah, eating her last chance to have babies for comic relief was a little on the dark side.)

Also, if TIE fighters can bank in space and make noise then I guess. a ship with a barn door sized hole in it can leave atmosphere in one piece too. Something something deflector shields....

Did you watch the show or did I completely miss something? Unless they gloss over it, frog lady’s husband is the one who knows the Mandalorians. Now they could just gloss over it but wouldn’t he have to talk to frog dad?

Did you watch the show or did I completely miss something? Unless they gloss over it, frog lady’s husband is the one who knows the Mandalorians. Now they could just gloss over it but wouldn’t he have to talk to frog dad?
They don’t have to show every single thing that happens, it’s not a children’s book. Some things can be implied, but yes I suppose we could see the husband in the next episode. Personally I hope he’s just moving on with his search. 

Correct. Next episode we will be on whatever world the husband is on. A waterworld I presume. 

This is dumb, so don't read it  :no:

Something happens to the remaining eggs and the kid burps up what we all saw go down to save the day  :tinfoilhat:

:banned:
Not dumb, it's probably the most likely outcome outside of baby yoda being a d.

Correct. Next episode we will be on whatever world the husband is on. A waterworld I presume. 
Scarif? Mon Cala? Kamino? Naboo?

I thought they may have said the actual name of where her husband was, but don't recall, and don't think they specified if the name referred to a planet, city, region, etc.

I guess a big thing on Twitter tonight is people saying baby yoda committed genocide by eating those eggs and people were actually, seriously...offended by it. Multiple articles up on it. I need to quit the internet. 
It’s not surprising. At first, I thought he was communicating with them when they came towards him but then I thought oh crap he’s going to eat them. If they stopped at the first, I don’t think people would have cared but they even showed him eating one at the end as a ha ha moment. People still get offended as if it really happened. We thought political correctness had hit a high before, just wait it’s getting worse.

They don’t have to show every single thing that happens, it’s not a children’s book. Some things can be implied, but yes I suppose we could see the husband in the next episode. Personally I hope he’s just moving on with his search. 
I’m assuming the same as @Leeroy Jenkins above that because the husband knows where the Mandalorians are that we were going to see them again. Like you I was hoping it was over. Only 6 episodes left, don’t care about the frogs. 

Didn't the next preview show them walking around with her and Ahsoka hiding in the background?

Users who are viewing this thread