What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Value of Cowboys Safeties in IDP (1 Viewer)

the lone star

Footballguy
So far it looks like there are really only 3 contenders for the 2 starting safety gigs in Dallas. They are...

1. Jeff Heath
2. Kavon Frazier
3. Xavier Woods

Other guys that may have a chance include Chidobe Awuzie, Jameil Showers, Marqueston Huff, Kam Kelly, Tyree Robinson, and MAYBE Byron Jones (although I think he's gonna stay at CB).

So how do you rank these players from best to worst? Who you taking a flyer on? You all think the team acquires another safety somehow before the start of the season?

Sometimes real football conversations take place which address defensive players.  Often in the dynasty trades thread trades will be posted that include both.

There really isn't anything wrong with posting IDP content around here, but those few of us who frequent the IDP forums would love to see more traffic there, and you are more likely to get idp-savvy feedback over there.

Sometimes real football conversations take place which address defensive players.  Often in the dynasty trades thread trades will be posted that include both.

There really isn't anything wrong with posting IDP content around here, but those few of us who frequent the IDP forums would love to see more traffic there, and you are more likely to get idp-savvy feedback over there.
Agreed. There are lots of smart NFL guys in this forum who know a lot about defensive players. The IDP forum is good too but especially in May, this forum is fine for a question like this. 

None of those guys excite me in the IDP world.  DB's are usually fairly easy to come by so I wouldn't be initially taking up a roster spot with these guys.  Let it play out and you will likely be able to pick up any value from them off the waiver wire.

So far it looks like there are really only 3 contenders for the 2 starting safety gigs in Dallas. They are...

1. Jeff Heath
2. Kavon Frazier
3. Xavier Woods

Other guys that may have a chance include Chidobe Awuzie, Jameil Showers, Marqueston Huff, Kam Kelly, Tyree Robinson, and MAYBE Byron Jones (although I think he's gonna stay at CB).

So how do you rank these players from best to worst? Who you taking a flyer on? You all think the team acquires another safety somehow before the start of the season?

None of those guys excite me in the IDP world.  DB's are usually fairly easy to come by so I wouldn't be initially taking up a roster spot with these guys.  Let it play out and you will likely be able to pick up any value from them off the waiver wire.

^agreed. Heath was 22nd & 27th among S in the 2 leagues I have. Borderline starter but not someone worth waiver priority or budget money. With a premium LB added in Vander Esch, it's likely the S production takes a hit there, as well.

Wait till the rotation shakes out in camp.  Worse case if Jones sees spot work as a third safety will be that none of these have meaningful fantasy value.  Someone needs to lock up a fulltime job here before I create roster space for them.

Heath was solid for me last season. We do 1.5 points per tackle, and 0.75 for an assist. I think it's like 4 for a FF, 2 for a FR, 6 for a INT, 6 for a sack, 2 for TFL, and 1.5 for a PD. Well that and 25 return yards = 1 point. 

It was a 16 team league where we are required to start 2-3 DBs though.

16-team leagues are a whole different animal, and a lot of players carry value there that are otherwise irrelevant.

I don't have a good feel for whether Heath can replicate last year's snap count totals though.  He seems like a guy that would always be looking over his shoulder at someone trying to take his job.

If he was on my deep roster I wouldnt just cut him, but I would not expect a lot going forward either.

(Plus, don't forget last year's totals were buoyed by his placekicking stats.  Can't count on that every year.   :P )

Users who are viewing this thread