What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who might be NFL's Las Vegas Knights? (2 Viewers)

Rubi

Footballguy
The Vegas Knights were 500-1 to win The Stanley Cup when the season started and now have made the finals. Looking at "Vegas Insider" and their odds to win this years Super Bowl,which of the 5 teams listed at 100-1 would you put $100 on?

N.Y. Jets

Miami Dolphins

Cinn. Bengals

Chi. Bears

Buff. Bills

If I had to pick one of those teams, I'd go with the Bears. The downside is that their division is tough, but they had a pretty solid defense this year and added a fresh innovative HC and added weapons on offense. If Trubisky takes a big leap forward I could see the Bears being a surprise team.

Of this list...

Jets/Bears/Bills don't yet have enough quarterbacking to have a chance.

Dolphins don't have enough skill players or defense.

The only team with a remote chance is the Bengals.
I think the Bears might have a chance if Trubisky can make a jump. The Bears have made some decent improvements.

Bengals probably have the best chance, as Andy said.  More pieces.  

But Miami is interesting to me.  They are really young across the board.  They play in a division with terrible, terrible defenses, in the weaker conference.  Super Bowl win, I dunno, but I like them as a sleeper team this year.  

Of this list...

Jets/Bears/Bills don't yet have enough quarterbacking to have a chance.

Dolphins don't have enough skill players or defense.

The only team with a remote chance is the Bengals.
Trubisky didn't look much worse as a rookie than Wentz or Goff in their rookie years, the bears got significantly better offensive skill players and coach this year.  While I wouldn't bet on the bears, if you told me one of the teams listed played in the next super bowl,  I'd assume it was the bears. 

Cincy might have a remote chance, but imo it's far more like that both Mitch plays well enough to contend and the bears defense was top 5, than Dalton to do so or the Bengals defense to be strong enough to carry the team.

Bengals probably have the best chance, as Andy said.  More pieces.  

But Miami is interesting to me.  They are really young across the board.  They play in a division with terrible, terrible defenses, in the weaker conference.  Super Bowl win, I dunno, but I like them as a sleeper team this year.  
They do?

Sisterly

Apparently teams ranked 5, 18, and 23 are terrible²

Or maybe he's including the dolphins defense among the terrible?
And the Pats underachieved last year but they have some talent.

The Jets have some young talent in place and added a top CB (Trumaine Johnson),resigned Morris Clairborne, upgrade at MLB (Avery Williamson) and drafted 2 safeties last year that played really well and should grow.

The Bills were already a top 10 defense and should push for that again.

The Jets have some young talent in place and added a top CB (Trumaine Johnson),resigned Morris Clairborne, upgrade at MLB (Avery Williamson) and drafted 2 safeties last year that played really well and should grow.

:mellow:  

You know you're good when you have the 5th best defense (scoring), win the conference, and underachieved.

Both defenses not named New England will see some regression because of the strain the respective offenses will put on them.  

Pats didn't underachieve, IMO.  They let their top two defenders walk, and the defense suffered. They have no pass rushers. 

It's a weak division. 

:mellow:  

You know you're good when you have the 5th best defense (scoring), win the conference, and underachieved.
Yeah there was a stretch of games where they allowed massive yardage (but part of that is teams having to keep up with their offense) but have always been on of the top "points allowed" defenses.

Both defenses not named New England will see some regression because of the strain the respective offenses will put on them.  

Pats didn't underachieve, IMO.  They let their top two defenders walk, and the defense suffered. They have no pass rushers. 

It's a weak division. 
Jets actually upgraded their o-line and running game - they are far from an offensive juggernaut but they shouldn't be worse than last year.

Bills, maybe but they still have a solid defense.

Miami is the worst defense in the division and lost some impact players. If we don't count them, I would bet money that the AFC East isn't even close to having the bottom defense or even "terrible, terrible defenses".

Now if you want to say Miami will finish second in the division, you'd get not argument from me - although they had a mixed bag offseason imo. It is a weak division overall but no worse than average defensively.

Do you really see the Jets and bills offenses being worse than last year? Buffalo I guess is foreseeable but the Jets really shouldn't be worse.

The Vegas Knights were 500-1 to win The Stanley Cup when the season started and now have made the finals. Looking at "Vegas Insider" and their odds to win this years Super Bowl,which of the 5 teams listed at 100-1 would you put $100 on?

N.Y. Jets

Miami Dolphins

Cinn. Bengals

Chi. Bears

Buff. Bills
Are the Browns not in this betting tier?

Jets actually upgraded their o-line and running game - they are far from an offensive juggernaut but they shouldn't be worse than last year.

Bills, maybe but they still have a solid defense.

Miami is the worst defense in the division and lost some impact players. If we don't count them, I would bet money that the AFC East isn't even close to having the bottom defense or even "terrible, terrible defenses".

Now if you want to say Miami will finish second in the division, you'd get not argument from me - although they had a mixed bag offseason imo. It is a weak division overall but no worse than average defensively.
Jets upgraded their running game to below average, maybe.  They don't have any tight ends or wide receivers worth getting excited about.  They will be starting a rookie QB for most of the season, I would bet.  If he cannot beat out McCown, that's not good.  I don't think it's a strain to say that the offense will burden the defense.  The Jets have no pass rushers.  Their entire linebacker corps are JAGs.  Good looking secondary, but how long can they cover for? Yeah, I would call it a bad defense.  

Bills defense has Shaq Lawson and Jerry Hughes at DE, better names than players.  Lawson has been a disappointment, and Hughes is a former good pass rusher.  They have decent DTs, but no scary pass rusher. LB is ghastly, Edmunds might lead the league in tackles.  They have one good young corner in White.  It's a defense that is going to be on the field a lot.  

Both those teams might have just drafted a stud young QB, and if so, hey, maybe they are on their way.  

I see opportunity in this division, as the Pats get older, and slower.  Miami has more pieces in place than the other two teams, I think.  

I wouldn't  call them a good team, or a lock.  If I has to pick a bad team to make a big move, I can see Miami doing it, that's all.  

Jets upgraded their running game to below average, maybe.  They don't have any tight ends or wide receivers worth getting excited about.  They will be starting a rookie QB for most of the season, I would bet.  If he cannot beat out McCown, that's not good.  I don't think it's a strain to say that the offense will burden the defense.  The Jets have no pass rushers.  Their entire linebacker corps are JAGs.  Good looking secondary, but how long can they cover for? Yeah, I would call it a bad defense.  

Bills defense has Shaq Lawson and Jerry Hughes at DE, better names than players.  Lawson has been a disappointment, and Hughes is a former good pass rusher.  They have decent DTs, but no scary pass rusher. LB is ghastly, Edmunds might lead the league in tackles.  They have one good young corner in White.  It's a defense that is going to be on the field a lot.  

Both those teams might have just drafted a stud young QB, and if so, hey, maybe they are on their way.  

I see opportunity in this division, as the Pats get older, and slower.  Miami has more pieces in place than the other two teams, I think.  

I wouldn't  call them a good team, or a lock.  If I has to pick a bad team to make a big move, I can see Miami doing it, that's all.  
I'm not arguing against your Miami pick - they could very well be the surprise team for many reasons.

I just disagree strongly with the "terrible, terrible defenses" part of your analysis - but I'll just leave it at that. I now also disagree with some of your offense analysis as well - but since this topic isn't for that I'll let that go as well.

Anyway - Miami is obviously as good a choice as any for this topic.

Da Bears.  They'd need things to happen to Aaron Rodgers, Kirk Cousins and perhaps even Matthew Stafford, though.  And their own QB would need to make a bit of a leap from Year 1.

nirad3 said:
Da Bears.  They'd need things to happen to Aaron Rodgers, Kirk Cousins and perhaps even Matthew Stafford, though.  And their own QB would need to make a bit of a leap from Year 1.
I disagree actually. I think the only thing they really need is for their offensive line to stay mostly healthy, which is probably not likely. The pieces are in place otherwise.

I also think people are sleeping on the Jets a little bit. They actually have a solid foundation, IMO, and the combo of McKnown & Bridgewater is better than people seem to be willing to give credit, particularly if Teddy B is truly ready to play.

I think Teddy B is more game ready than Andrew Luck at this point and if he is actually healthy, not just better by comparison, then the Jets suddenly have an embarrassment of riches at QB.

I'll take the Bears at those odds.

People underestimate how much horrible coaching effects teams.  John Fox rates up there with Jeff Fisher in worst coaches in modern time.  GB is less scary that it was a couple years ago.  I think the coaching staff has allienated Rodgers by getting rid of Jordy, the will to win just insn't going to be there.  The Vikings messed with what was working and brought in a lesser QB.  Who knows if Cooks will be back to pre-injury form.  Detroit is Detroit and will win 8 games.  

Bears could win their division and get a shot at a ring.  Its worth a $100 to win 10K. 

Last edited by a moderator:

N.Y. Jets

Miami Dolphins

Cinn. Bengals

Chi. Bears

Buff. Bills
3 of the 5 are in the AFC East.

Oof.

People underestimate how much horrible coaching effects teams.  John Fox rates up there with Jeff Fisher in worst coaches in modern time.  GB is less scary that it was a couple years ago.  I think the coaching staff has allienated Rodgers by getting rid of Jordy, the will to win just insn't going to be there.  The Vikings messed with what was working and brought in a lesser QB.  Who knows if Cooks will be back to pre-injury form.  Detroit is Detroit and will win 8 games.  

Bears could win their division and get a shot at a ring.  Its worth a $100 to win 10K. 
Lesser qb??? I dont think so...

Of those 5 teams and I had to put $100 down on one of them, I'd put it on the Bengals.  I think you can eliminate the Bills, Dolphins, and Jets; none of those teams will make the Wild Card let alone dethrone the Patriots for the division title.  I like the Bengals chances of becoming a Wild Card in the AFC better than the Bears in the NFC.

Since I started the thread I'll chime in with my 2 cents.

I'd give some consideration to the Bengals but if I had to put the $100 on one of those teams it would be the Bears.

I'm figuring the qb to improve some and the team overall to improve with Fox gone.

Tough division with Vikes and Pack but in the NFL if you can sneak into the playoffs even as a wildcard you can win it all.

abbottjamesr said:

Kirk Cousins is a lesser QB than Case Keenum?

abbottjamesr said:
  I think the coaching staff has allienated Rodgers by getting rid of Jordy, the will to win just insn't going to be there
That's crazy talk.

That's crazy talk.
It’s in the realm of possibility that Rodgers won’t be as effective this year as he has been in the past. Maybe motivation won’t driving factor but I think it could’ve part of it.  I hear reports that Rodgers has not been involved or that he agrees with some of the moves that the staff has made this year and the direction that the team is moving in.  Don’t know if any of that is true but it makes sense.  The trade away Jordy and replace him with 3 late round draft picks, they seem to want to move toward a run first offense, they brought in another older receiver that can’t separate any more.   Maybe I’m reading into things too much but I think the Bears have a chance to win the division.

Things change fast in the NFL and the Beards have a team that could make that leap to 11 to 12 wins.  Not saying it will happen but I like the odds better than 100-1.

It’s in the realm of possibility that Rodgers won’t be as effective this year as he has been in the past. Maybe motivation won’t driving factor but I think it could’ve part of it.  I hear reports that Rodgers has not been involved or that he agrees with some of the moves that the staff has made this year and the direction that the team is moving in.  Don’t know if any of that is true but it makes sense.  The trade away Jordy and replace him with 3 late round draft picks, they seem to want to move toward a run first offense, they brought in another older receiver that can’t separate any more.   Maybe I’m reading into things too much but I think the Bears have a chance to win the division.

Things change fast in the NFL and the Beards have a team that could make that leap to 11 to 12 wins.  Not saying it will happen but I like the odds better than 100-1.
You are reading way too much into it.

While it's certainly possible, I'd think Zimmer would have kept Keenum and saved the $10 million / year if he agreed.
Absolutely. I think most people, professional coaches and wannabes like us, believe Cousins has far more physical ability than Keenum. I'm just not certain he is a better QB.

I've checked around a few sites that offer NFL futures and I've noticed that the odds for the Cardinals have a pretty wide range.  I've seen them as high as 100-1 on bovada.  A healthy David Johnson, two new qbs, Christian Kirk, a new head coach..are all pretty major question marks and moving parts in regards to what their future holds. With that being said--compared to other teams that are in that long shot range--I do like their talent pool. 

Users who are viewing this thread