What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anthony Miller WR Houston Texans (1 Viewer)

Bears WR coach said something to the effect today that while Miller is gifted, the kid is still very raw. He doesn't understand the intricacies of the position - much less the offense -  fully yet. I'm not sure whether to be encouraged or concerned. He's got to be a student of the game if he's going to take his game to the next level. This should come with time, of course, but it should be monitored. Route running is as important as the catches at this point for him.

Wow that is a thorough breakdown. Either Chicago secondary is the worst in the league or Miller is competing with Barkley for ROY. 
According to piff the Bears secondary players rated really high.

Not sure why that didn't show up on the score board though and this is one of those things where I disagree with their charting. Fuller is ok but not as good as I saw they rated him recently.

Miller is very good, the secondary is better than some teams and as an overall defense I think the Bears are above average.

According to piff the Bears secondary players rated really high.

Not sure why that didn't show up on the score board though and this is one of those things where I disagree with their charting. Fuller is ok but not as good as I saw they rated him recently.

Miller is very good, the secondary is better than some teams and as an overall defense I think the Bears are above average.
Also, training camp is very slanted toward wide receivers. It's why you see a lot of rookies blowing up in camp but not in regular season. 

Bears WR coach said something to the effect today that while Miller is gifted, the kid is still very raw. He doesn't understand the intricacies of the position - much less the offense -  fully yet. I'm not sure whether to be encouraged or concerned. He's got to be a student of the game if he's going to take his game to the next level. This should come with time, of course, but it should be monitored. Route running is as important as the catches at this point for him.
Lol, can’t rain on this parade! 

Tex

Has he earned the role of 1st wide receiver taken in dynasty rookie drafts? Or is Moore/Sutton still top draw? 

I’ve heard owners say they would take him late 1st if not early 2nd in standard scoring leagues.....

SleepyIDP said:
Has he earned the role of 1st wide receiver taken in dynasty rookie drafts? Or is Moore/Sutton still top draw? 

I’ve heard owners say they would take him late 1st if not early 2nd in standard scoring leagues.....
Moore is talented, Sutton is well...(Hype). I’d take Miller #1 and plan to do so in the middle of the 1st.

Tex

SleepyIDP said:

I am really interested in this question being in a very shallow 10 team contract league where you can essentially pick a rookie (except Barkley) for fairly cheap and keep for 5 years. Torn between Moore, Ridley, Miller and Sutton. Most rankings still have Ridley first but I haven’t seen a lot of fbg chat on him.....

SleepyIDP said:

It's a toss up between Miller and Sutton.  Sutton is the talk of the town on sports radio here in Denver.

Amazing how a hype train can build in a couple of weeks. Suddenly people are lining up to proclaim him the best rookie WR in the class after pretty much ignoring him (for the most part) since the draft. I'm curious to see if it's justified but colour me a little sceptical.  

Amazing how a hype train can build in a couple of weeks. Suddenly people are lining up to proclaim him the best rookie WR in the class after pretty much ignoring him (for the most part) since the draft. I'm curious to see if it's justified but colour me a little sceptical.  
I had him as my top WR before the draft. His camp performance is just validating my ranking. ;)

I like this guy a lot! And I expect him to be productive over his career--eventually becoming a fantasy WR2 I hope. But. I do not expect him to be as good as OBJ nor do I think it likely he leads the team in targets as a rookie. They hype has even exceeded me.

A down year for WRs seems to have several good WRs. 

Lol...

Still, receivers coach Mike Furrey said, what Miller needs to learn most is the toughest trait to teach a rookie: patience.

“[He’s] like a jackrabbit running around,” Furrey said. “I don’t even know where he’s going half the time. . . . You’ve got to be patient. Understand the concepts. Understand the speed. Understand what you’re supposed to do. Understand why. The big picture of why we’re doing what we’re doing. That’s a struggle.”

It's actually gratifying to hear his own coaches clamp the brakes on his hype machine. The guy clearly has a lot of talent, but it's not the first time a guy has dominated his own team's practices yet finds it much harder sledding when consistently facing high-quality CBs when the game matter. If he flashes in the preseason games and then into the regular season, then the hype was obviously for real.

Lol...

Still, receivers coach Mike Furrey said, what Miller needs to learn most is the toughest trait to teach a rookie: patience.

“[He’s] like a jackrabbit running around,” Furrey said. “I don’t even know where he’s going half the time. . . . You’ve got to be patient. Understand the concepts. Understand the speed. Understand what you’re supposed to do. Understand why. The big picture of why we’re doing what we’re doing. That’s a struggle.”
Mike Furrey. Now there's a name I haven't heard in a looooooog time.

#alecguinnessvoice

Mike Furrey. Now there's a name I haven't heard in a looooooog time.

#alecguinnessvoice
Totally forgot he had one of the biggest out of nowhere seasons in recent memory: 98-1086-6 in 2006 with the Lions alongside Roy Williams. Megatron entered the league the following year.

SleepyIDP said:

To me they are all the same tier of WR with an outlook of the next 3 years, I think all of their upside is a WR two for fantasy if things go well but to me they are somewhat interchangeable. 

Miller is getting buzz right now and that is what you want if your intent is to trade the player in their first season, or to at least have a player who is productive enough to actually get something good for in trade.

It is very short term thinking, but I could see taking Miller if you are looking for more instant impact. There are related factors such as what you think of Trubisky the coaching staff and the direction of the team right now. I like Trubisky a lot and I hope he takes a big step forward this season. Being realistic though, he may still be a couple seasons away from putting up really good numbers that could make a WR from the Bears compete for top 12 at WR. I think this is also true for the other WR as well though, Moore has a lot of competition for targets and Cams accuracy means the player needs more targets to produce a lot of receptions it requires to be a top 12 WR for fantasy. Sutton maybe has Case Keenum?

You are drafting the QB too. Anyhow I do feel more confident in Miller because of the positive reports, but it isn't really enough for me to change how I ranked these guys back in May. I expected Miller to be good right away.

Here is how I ranked them last time I did in May.

Tier 2

Calvin Ridley 25 Falcons
Royce Freeman 71 Broncos
Kerryon Johnson 43 Lions
DJ Moore 24 Panthers
Anthony Miller 51 Bears
Christian Kirk 47 Cardinals
Josh Rosen 10 Cardinals
Baker Mayfield 1 Browns
Michael Gallup 81 Cowboys
Courtland Sutton 40 Broncos
Dante Pettis 44 49ers
Trequan Smith 91 Saints
James Washington 60 Steelers
Sam Darnold 3 Jets
Josh Allen  7 Bills
Dallas Goedert 49 Eagles
Hayden Hurst 25 Ravens
Ian Thomas 101 Panthers
Mark Andrews 86 Ravens

The Chicago Tribune reports second-round WR Anthony Miller is locking down slot duties in camp.

Per reporter Rich Campbell, Miller has been as advertised, displaying route-running chops, strong hands and competitiveness at the catch point, all the while "overflowing with flair and confidence." Miller's hype started up in rookie OTAs and has continued unabated since. A lot will depend on Mitchell Trubisky's sophomore development, but Miller has a real chance at being a re-draft league factor.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/13152/anthony-miller

Rotoworld take:

Anthony Miller registered three catches for 33 yards on four targets Saturday in the Bears’ third preseason game against the Broncos.

All of Miller’s work came in the first half. The rookie earned his first catch on a 19-yard strike from Mitchell Trubisky with just over a minute remaining in the first quarter. He also hooked up with backup Chase Daniel for a 13-yard grab on Chicago’s final drive of the first half. The Memphis product has quickly asserted himself as the Bears’ primary slot receiver and makes for a great late-round stab in all formats.

Aug 19 - 1:23 PM

haven't read a lot on him here....what are the thoughts from Bear fans and from camp?  He's earned himself a starting position, correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
haven't read a lot on him here....what are the thoughts from Bear fans and from camp?  He's earned himself a starting position, correct?
Great route runner.  Great hands and body control. Playing from the slot. Should be an easy transition to the NFL. Probably a year away from great numbers 

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to hijack the thread, but which of the above should have the greatest impact this year? 
Miller. He has no competition. he's already their best WR. He was their best guy once the drafted him. Gabriel is no competition and neither is White. Gallup has no QB. Sutton has 2 guys in his way. Washington as well.

Not to hijack the thread, but which of the above should have the greatest impact this year? 
Washington and Sutton probably won't not get a shot at starting in 2 wide sets this year short of injuries. It's a coin toss on the others as far as opportunities imo and both Miller and Gallup have crap QB's. But at least both will get the opportunity to move up the ranks. Miller - Gallup - Washington - Sutton.

Gallup, Sutton, Washington, Miller in that order.

I love Miller and his magnet hands but he should at least be behind Robinson and Burton in the pecking order and I doubt Trubisky attempts enough passes this year to make anyone past Robinson and Burton super relevant from a fantasy standpoint. 

What about Robinson?
He's ok but I'm super high on Miller.

Gallup, Sutton, Washington, Miller in that order.

I love Miller and his magnet hands but he should at least be behind Robinson and Burton in the pecking order and I doubt Trubisky attempts enough passes this year to make anyone past Robinson and Burton super relevant from a fantasy standpoint. 
Sutton, Miller, Washington, Gallup.

He's ok but I'm super high on Miller.

Sutton, Miller, Washington, Gallup.
I'm not drafting any of these guys but only one of them has a legitimate chance to lead his team in targets this year sans injury. And it's not Sutton..

or Miller..

or Washington..

Volume is king.

You are super high on him enough to think he's no competition for Miller. That seems like you may be super high on something more than Miller.
Not that there's anything wrong with that. Robinson doesn't scare me. I think Miller gets more targets as the season progresses.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. Robinson doesn't scare me. I think Miller gets more targets as the season progresses.
Taylor Gabriel is his immediate problem.

I like Miller a ton, but he's going to be fighting for snaps. Factor in White (who's been playing pretty well and would be a big red zone threat) and maybe Wims, and god help us but Bellamy always manages to be on the field somehow. Plus you have 2 pretty good pass catching tight ends... oh and Cohen. There are just a lot of mouths to feed on an offense that might not be very efficient anyway. 

If Miller is going to have any real fantasy value outside of best ball leagues, he has to beat out Grabriel, and thats no lock. Miller has a way higher ceiling, but rookies make mistakes, and mistakes lead to turnovers. Nagy may want to ease him in this season, and with all these options, thats just not a recipe for fantasy success in my mind.

Users who are viewing this thread