What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who to keep/drop (salaried dynasty league)? (1 Viewer)

fantasybears

Footballguy
UPDATE:  See completed trade and answers to questions in comment below.  

League Info:
12 team, $200 salary cap 0.5 PPR league, start 1QB, 1RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1FLEX (RB/WR/TE), 1D, 1K, full dynasty (keep everyone, salaries go up each year), 15-17 players.
Current Salary:  $197

QB - Cousins ($15), Mahomes ($1)
RB - David Johnson ($29), Collins ($7), Dixon ($3), J. Williams ($3)
WR - Julio ($44), Evans ($25), Allen Robinson ($18), Watkins ($14), Crowder($4), Godwin ($4), Ross ($3)
TE - Graham ($12), Doyle ($6)
K  - Tucker ($3)
D  - Jags ($7)

I currently project Cousins, Johnson, Julio, Evans, ?, Graham, Tucker, Jags as my starters ($135).  

Who would you keep/drop before the upcoming draft?  Top tier rookie RBs go for up to $35, and top tier free agents go $45 to $55 usually based on team needs to give you an idea of league values.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd keep everyone except Julio, Williams,and Watkins. That'll give you room for a couple of new players. Julio is just too expensive and his TD's just aren't there. Mahomes at $1 is a downright steal. The others are fair value.

for me, I would let Dixon (IMO, Williams has a lot more value), Ross and Watkins (not a fan of him) go for sure.  I am in the mindset to keep Jones... yes, Beerbuff mentions the TD production is down.  Well, from a WR prospective based on last year, 2nd in receiving yardage, top 10 in receptions, targets, and PPG scoring (again, just WRs).  I would bet there is not another WR going back into the pool similar to him.  If there is not a WR of his talent going back, I'm inclined to keep him.

I gut would be to figure out Robinson.  Changing teams and coming off injury, again, is there other WRs that might be dropped that could be "better"?  

I'd keep Cousins, Mahomes, Johnson, Collins, Evans, Robinson, Crowder, Ross, Graham, Doyle, and Jax.  Gives you starters at every spot but kicker, Collins/Crowder/Ross/Doyle at FLEX/Bench, and Mahomes as a cheap flier at QB, all for $127.  If top-tier FA are around $45, Jones isn't that much of a savings.  You could add a top-tier rookie, and still have $35-$40 to flesh out your roster.  

Of course, another alternative is to trade Jones.  Dunno if that's allowed, but I know I'd feel better getting something for him over just dropping him...  Good luck!

What are the types of players that will be thrown back in the pool.  If you cut Julio will there be other top tier (expensive) players that will spread the bidding out or will be the top guy.  Without knowing what might be out there to bid on it makes it hard to decide on Julio.

I would probably drop Julio, Doyle, Tucker, Jags D, Dixon, & Crowder.  That puts you at $131.  You should have some flexibility to fill out the roster and improve overall depth.   

Can you get a Cousins-type back for less than $15?

I'd think that Mahomes will give you Cousins-like production and let you recoup a few bucks.

Well, here's an UPDATE:

I traded Allen Robinson and Collins for Michael Thomas at $17.  

That would give projected starting lineup of Cousins, Johnson, Julio, Evans, Thomas, Graham, Tucker, Jags as my starters ($152).

To answer some of the questions: 

There may be one or two good WRs in the pool, but Julio would be the best by far to be released by looking at current salaries.  He would probably go for more than $44.  

Last season mid-tier QBs and such went for around 15, so Cousins would probably not be cheaper and anyone else would be about the same.  

Usually a couple of top tier guys get released, but since they are in high demand the prices soar.  The problem is out of the 12 teams you probably have two or three guys that gut their teams minus two or three players, so you'll go in the draft with some having $150 in cap space, and others with $30 or $40.  

QB - Cousins ($15), Mahomes ($1)
RB - David Johnson ($29)Dixon ($3), J. Williams ($3)
WR - Julio ($44), Evans ($25), Thomas ($17), Watkins ($14), Crowder ($4), Godwin ($4), Ross ($3)
TE - Graham ($12), Doyle ($6)
K  - Tucker ($3)
D  - Jags ($7)
I would keep the highlighted players and cut the remainder. This puts you at $157 heading into the draft.

Cut Players: Dixon - now that you traded Collins there's no need to have Dixon. Williams - Tough decision as the price is right but a lot of competition between AJones and Montgomery. Rodgers also likes to vulture short yardage TD's from RB's and just got Graham to help that cause. I'd cut him to add to your draft funds. Watkins - easy cut, not worth the price tag. Crowder - another tough call. Price is right but is he or Doctson the #1 WR. Another cut to add to your draft funds. Ross - easy cut, he's a stretch the field WR with Dalton throwing the ball. Eifert should be back making Ross at best the 3rd option in the Cincy passing game. Doyle - easy cut, too expensive for a backup TE who at best can be a fringe TE1. I don't trust Luck coming back so a similar fringe TE1 outlook for Doyle this year with Brissett. Except the Colts added Ebron at TE. I view this as a duel TE offense like when the Colts use to have Fleener and Allen. It was frustrating trying to figure out who to start each week. I'm sure you can find a similar upside TE in the draft for $1-2 and save a few bucks.

Kept Players: Mahomes, Johnson, Evans, and Thomas are bargains. Cousins, Julio, Godwin, Graham are market value. Tucker and Jags are market value or slightly above market value but both being elite at their position makes them easy keepers. Also, take a good look at Godwin. He had strong FF WR2 numbers once Jimmy G took over and SF didn't really add to their WR's in the off-season. Looks like a great option to slide into your Flex spot.

Draft: You'd have $43 to spend in the draft. I'd focus on spending $15-20 each on 2 rookie RB's not named Barkley (out of your price range). Hopefully this solidifies your RB2 spot and if one or both pan out you have cheap RB's to keep for next year. Once you have your 2 rookie RB's you can backfill the remainder of your team on the cheap. You should have a strong contender here assuming good health and finding a 2nd RB to pan out.

Users who are viewing this thread