What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Denver Insights - Things To Do / Visit / Eat / Drink (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Need help from the FFA. 

What are the go to places in Denver area you love? Things to do, places to visit, places to eat and drink? 

With a focus on things specific to Denver or the area you won't get in other places. 

Thanks.

:blackdot:  

I moved here a few months ago and I'm still trying to figure it all out. 
Been to Denver twice this year. Short trips, not much sight seeing or anything like that. Work related. I envy you moving there. I’d be all for relocating if it was possible for me to do so. Housing is crazy expensive though. 

Went to a Rockies game and hit bars nearby after the game last year and was fun. Checked out Red Rocks which was awesome, even if there isn’t a concert just hike around for awhile.....we’ll worth it. 

Casa Bonita is awesome 

ETA: Wynkoop is okay too.  Love the REI flagship store.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the name of the restaurant that had elk, moose, buffalo, etc on the menu?  Are there a couple of years ago.  Wasn't all that impressed, but seems like a touristy must-do type of place.

Denver is a great city to visit but as long as you're in CO, get into the mountains at least for a day. Connect US 285 to I-70 by going over Guanella Pass for example. 

I don't know Denver that well, but according to my maps Dry Dock Brewing is about 30 minutes from Denver and it is the brewery my cousin is co-owner of. 

What's the name of the restaurant that had elk, moose, buffalo, etc on the menu?  Are there a couple of years ago.  Wasn't all that impressed, but seems like a touristy must-do type of place.
Buckhorn Exchange--expensive, but it is sort of a destination type place.

I have lived in Colorado all my life (south in Colorado Springs)

Someone mentioned Casa Bonita--food isn't good, but you go for the atmosphere and experience.

There are so many new places to eat in Denver it is crazy--especially in RiNO district.  Maybe some of the locals can give you (and me) a recommendation because it seems a new one opens each week.

My family will go up for a weekend and stay off of in Westminster/Broomfield area (usually at the Omni or Westin). We do the Butterfly Pavilion and Dave and Busters.  Flatiron Crossing mall is there. It is close to pretty much everything in Denver--Coors Field, Water World all the LoDo bars.

We found our way here before the game (night game) for pre-game food and drinks.  It was really good.  Very crowded at night though.
Thanks. It looks like it’s about a mile from Coors field. That right?  Easy enough walk?

Any other spots recommended close to coors field for pregame dinner?

Much thanks. 

Check out 

-My Brothers Bar - Jalapeno Cream Cheese Burger - JCB on the menu - 15th and Platte (NOT Brothers BAR and Grill on Market)

Biker Jims - Jalapeno Elk Brat

Denver Chop house - 20th and Wynkoop

D'Corazon Mexican - on 15th and Blake area

ChoLon - the soup dumplings are incredible - a bit noisy but incredible Asian street food in high class spot - friend of mine owns this

Sports Column - on 20th & blake - typical sports bar but a good one.

LaLoma Mexican - my favorite for Green Chile - new location over by Brown Palace - you can eat here and then ride 16th st shuttle down to Blake and walk.

With the Mall Shuttle any place in downtown makes it accessible before the game

Sam's #3 - for diner like eats - another top in Green Chile

Rioja - Jennifer Janski (Beard award winner) Mediterranean 

Euclid Beer Hall and Kitchen (RIP Soapy Smiths Eagle Bar) - but a good mix of food and beer where they pair food and beer. Another Janski production

Up the hill towards the Highlands

Root Down and Linger - and a lot more up here - not to far of a walk across 20th st or 15th street bridges

Do you want some things to do as well? Will you be needing to stay near Denver or can you travel easily?

Thanks Guys. Did Mexican Food last night at El Chingon. Off the hook good. In line at Sams No 3 now. 
Pro tip: those U shaped counters are first come first serve. So if you see one of those open up just sit down. Of course that's tough if it's more than 2 of you. I've eaten there half dozen times and never waited in line. 

And don't skip at least a side of green chili. 

Is El Chingon the best Mexican food in Denver?

Been looking for a good one. Are the margaritas any good?
Oh I don't know about that @Bucky86. Thrillist rated it one of the 30 best in the US. But you know how lists are. I had beer last night but I'd guess the margaritas are excellent. They had a beverage manager listed on the menu and looked like they put a lot of effort into the cocktails. 

:blackdot:  

I moved here a few months ago and I'm still trying to figure it all out. 
My sister and BIL live there so I’m a little familiar with beer and eats in the city. Especially beer, she’s always sending me stuff and when I visit we hit up lots of places. Are you into craft beer? 

Is El Chingon the best Mexican food in Denver?

Been looking for a good one. Are the margaritas any good?
It's Mexican- Mexican - like Mexico City. Anahiem Chiles are not as good IMO.

I prefer my "Mexican" in Denver as New Mexican - Hatch Chiles-Pueblo Chiles. Green and good. There are different styles of Green Chile - a little thinner and hotter. Some thick like a stew. Depends on time of the year.

Another favorite is Brewery Bar II - the hot is dynomite. If you are ever feeling like a cold coming on the Chile Rellenos here with hot will kill anything. A Good Marg made here as well.

My wife and I will be spending 3 days in Denver early March.
I was thinking about getting the city pass to see some of the attractions, but would like some recommendations on things to do other than zoos, aquariums, gardens etc. We're from Los Angeles so we're looking for things with more regional flavor than just flora, fauna, and art.
The plan is to take ride shares and public transportation rather than renting a car.

Hotel recommendations area also appreciated. :thanks:

i am sorry i missed this when it was posted but for those going there now have no fear there are a ton of parnera locations scattered all across denverland so you will be able to eat some of the finest food ever warmed up by humans from apex park all the way to aurora from the stock show south to cherry creek brohans the world of flavor is yours just about everywhere in denver take that to the bank bromigos

It has been a while since i have been to denver (so some may not be around and I am sure there are new places):

Rioja

Bistro Vendome

Euclid hall

le central

barolo grill

cru

Vesta

Panzanos

rio (for margaritas)

Rhein Haus

Marco's pizza

restaurant at the Brown Palace

Illegal Pete's for late night burrito

For drinks (did not go out for cocktails very often):

Falling rock

sports column

celtic tavern

fado's

wynkoop brewery

Jackson's

I was thinking about getting the city pass to see some of the attractions, but would like some recommendations on things to do other than zoos, aquariums, gardens etc. We're from Los Angeles so we're looking for things with more regional flavor than just flora, fauna, and art.
The plan is to take ride shares and public transportation rather than renting a car.

Hotel Born. The Train from the airport drops you literally at their entrance. Great spot to walk to a bunch of things nearby. Check out Tavernetta for a nice meal and grab a drink at their wine bar right next door called Sunday Vinyl. 

March has a decent chance for snow, so be sure to check the weather and pack appropriately.

As for things to do? What are your likes? Distillery tours? Leopold Brothers is a good one.

Head across the bridge at 16th. (It’s right where your hotel is, it goes over train tracks) There’s a neat park for chilling and then cross the river bridge. Check out the REI(it’s YUGE) there’s some breweries over there too. Then you can cross again(going over the freeway) and you’ll be in LoHi. Little man Ice cream is delicious. There’s a few restaurants over there. A speakeasy called Williams and Graham is also over there. 

If you're ridesharing and/or using public transportation, I highly recommend 2-3 margaritas as The Rio.  

There’s a bar that is basically an old arcade filled with pinball machines, Pac-Man, donkey Kong, etc...  it’s awesome. 

Sushi Den and Izakaya Den - even though it’s in the middle of the country, some of the best sushi I’ve ever had.

Yak & Yeti - good cheap Indian

Saigon Basil - great Vietnamese north of the city

Heading to Denver with my daughter for her hockey showcase/tournament in about a week. We will be flying in the morning of the 2nd, and flying out early the morning of the 7th. 

Staying in the Highlands Ranch/Tech Center South area, and will have much of the day Wednesday and all day Thursday free and looking for ideas on things to do with a 14 year old. 

Any suggestions on things to do/see and decent places to eat? The Avs play the night before we get there and then are on the all-star break, which is a bummer. 

TIA, Denverguys. 

Heading to Denver with my daughter for her hockey showcase/tournament in about a week. We will be flying in the morning of the 2nd, and flying out early the morning of the 7th. 

Staying in the Highlands Ranch/Tech Center South area, and will have much of the day Wednesday and all day Thursday free and looking for ideas on things to do with a 14 year old. 

Any suggestions on things to do/see and decent places to eat? The Avs play the night before we get there and then are on the all-star break, which is a bummer. 

TIA, Denverguys. 

I visit south denver fairly frequently. You can go hiking up Waterton canyon if you both enjoy hiking, it is on the southwest side of town not too far from where you are staying. Although that is not the best idea for a 14 year old.

Obviously there is skiing/tubing if you want to head into the mountains. Traffic on i70 is not too bad usually during the middle of the week.

:blackdot:  for later.  Heading there this summer for some shows at Red Rocks.
Red Rocks is awesome.  Be in decent shape as the walk up is a ways.  saw Steve Winwood & his band & Steve Petty & the Heartbreakers a few years back.  coolest venue for a concert I've ever been.

Which shows? I'm looking at a few myself.  Hope to make it out there for Tedeschi Trucks for sure.

Two Lord Huron shows first week of June.  They are my wife's favorite band.  Also have tickets to see them that Friday at Mission Ballroom, but I just saw that JRAD is playing at Red Rocks that night so I need to convince her we need to change plans.  

Two Lord Huron shows first week of June.  They are my wife's favorite band.  Also have tickets to see them that Friday at Mission Ballroom, but I just saw that JRAD is playing at Red Rocks that night so I need to convince her we need to change plans.  
Heck throw in some Michael Franti on Sat as well.   That's a nice 4 day run there.  I'm gonna see Tedeschi Trucks Band end of July.  Hoping they add another good band on that week after they play as its wide open right now.  

We were just in Boulder.    Really liked it out there.  Drove up to the rocky mountain national park. Fantastic sites

What's a good hotel to stay in Denver that is downtown, but also walking distance to bars/restaurants?

What's a good place to hike (non-hikers), not terribly far from Denver, but also good views?

Looking at options for restaurants, and things like that...

What's a good place to hike (non-hikers), not terribly far from Denver, but also good views?

Looking at options for restaurants, and things like that...

I am far from an expert but depending on when your going Watertown canyon would be good this week. It is at a lower elevation and should not have any snow until Thursday at the earliest.

There are others as well, I only know that one because I stay in southwest Denver when I visit and is convenient for where I stay. It would not have a bad commute from downtown and you get to avoid taking either 6 or 70 however it is not up high in the mountains.

What's a good hotel to stay in Denver that is downtown, but also walking distance to bars/restaurants?

When we stay downtown we like The Oxford Hotel. It's very historic, right next to Union Station, and also a block away from the 16th street mall.

Theoxfordhotel.com

Users who are viewing this thread