What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Help this NorCal native move - MT, WY, UT, ID (1 Viewer)

slackjawedyokel

Footballguy
I'm approaching 40, married with older children, born and raised in Northern CA.  The wife and I were discussing the other day how neither of us actually chose to live here and we just stuck around and built a life here. 

California has it's benefits but we do not fit well here for several reasons.

1. Preference of simplicity:  We're highly frugal and enjoy a low cost lifestyle.  That's not rewarded in CA. 

2. Air quality: this sounds petty but we have allergy issues and even my daughters are being impacted by the smog and generally filthy air here.

3. Climate: we're not sun worshippers and do not look forward to 20-25 days each year over 100.  Fine with more cloud cover and some snow.

4. Nature lovers: we regularly try to escape the city to go fishing, camping or hiking.

5. Politics: We are not gun toting Republicans but are glad to have neighbors with firearms. We're more libertarian by nature but we generally avoid politics for lack of interest. But in CA you would think there are no other opinions but the liberal perspective.

We look forward to affordable housing (sell home and buy again with equity in the, say, $300k territory), lower cost of living, better air quality, likely in a smaller community (100k or less is ideal).

This is the first phase of research and I'd love to hear anecdotal pros and cons from anyone in the pool on these states, maybe cities/regions to focus on or avoid.  

My company does quite a bit of business with companies in Montana and Idaho. Missoula and Boise are relatively progressive compared to the rest of their states, but still much more conservative than cities like Seattle or Portland. Rural Montana is like the wild wild west. Northern Idaho is Neo-Nazi territory.

I have a friend who lived in Salt Lake City for a few years in the '90s. He said the people were super-polite in a creepy "we're being watched by surveillance cameras" sort of way. He couldn't stand the fact that all the beer was the "low alcohol" 3.2% stuff, so he left.

We may be going the same route in a few years, We’ve been looking at Oregon/Wyoming/Montana/Idaho

cash out of our California Home and likely buy something with cash...CA is the best place to make money but the worst place to spend it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm approaching 40, married with older children, born and raised in Northern CA.  The wife and I were discussing the other day how neither of us actually chose to live here and we just stuck around and built a life here. 

California has it's benefits but we do not fit well here for several reasons.

1. Preference of simplicity:  We're highly frugal and enjoy a low cost lifestyle.  That's not rewarded in CA. 

2. Air quality: this sounds petty but we have allergy issues and even my daughters are being impacted by the smog and generally filthy air here.

3. Climate: we're not sun worshippers and do not look forward to 20-25 days each year over 100.  Fine with more cloud cover and some snow.

4. Nature lovers: we regularly try to escape the city to go fishing, camping or hiking.

5. Politics: We are not gun toting Republicans but are glad to have neighbors with firearms. We're more libertarian by nature but we generally avoid politics for lack of interest. But in CA you would think there are no other opinions but the liberal perspective.

We look forward to affordable housing (sell home and buy again with equity in the, say, $300k territory), lower cost of living, better air quality, likely in a smaller community (100k or less is ideal).

This is the first phase of research and I'd love to hear anecdotal pros and cons from anyone in the pool on these states, maybe cities/regions to focus on or avoid.  
What part of Northern CA?

So have a lot of other people, it's apparently getting relatively expensive.
Yeah, we're about 2 years away from a planned move to Boise so I've been keeping track of the area. The influx of people, especially from Cali is a big deal. Getting a little concerned.

My company does quite a bit of business with companies in Montana and Idaho. Missoula and Boise are relatively progressive compared to the rest of their states, but still much more conservative than cities like Seattle or Portland. Rural Montana is like the wild wild west. Northern Idaho is Neo-Nazi territory.

I have a friend who lived in Salt Lake City for a few years in the '90s. He said the people were super-polite in a creepy "we're being watched by surveillance cameras" sort of way. He couldn't stand the fact that all the beer was the "low alcohol" 3.2% stuff, so he left.
this is all correct as I lived in all the above mentioned States except Utah.  Re: Utah-I have friends who lived there.  They got the exact same experience.  Mt has brutal cold winters along with WY.  Sounds like southern Idaho might be your ticket.  In my experience.

Curious about this too (born and raised in Marin).

What about AZ? Good, dry air there and some nice spots. A little kooky politically (albeit coming from a Marin/NYC guy), but enough colleges to provide culture.
Actually Prescott & Payson AZ areas are gorgeous & don't suffer the summer heat like Phoenix.

Well in our case I can mostly work from home so an internet connection is key. Hope to semi retire in 5 to 7 years. 
Sweet. 

Of those states you listed, Wyoming is the only with no state income tax.  I don't know the specifics on their other taxes (sales, property, etc.) which could possibly be higher due to the lack of income tax.  

This take on Utah is fairly overblown and inaccurate. 

I’m a liberal, non-religious person born and raised in Seattle. I lived there for my first 26 years and moved to SLC for work in 1993. I had those same preconceived notions about Utah prior to moving here, and in the 90’s, it was possibly a bit more like that. It has gradually improved over the past 25 years and I don’t find those to be issues whatsoever. 

Of course, it’s still a conservative state with a dominant religion—that’s not changing any time soon. But my family has been able to work with that just fine. 

And the 3.2% beer is a nonissue. I can purchase all the alcohol and “real” beer I need very easily. Frankly, some of the Utah breweries make pretty great beer as well  

As for the OP’s list of requirements, I think SLC and surrounding areas have most of them in abundance except for a lack of pollution. The inversions can be bad here in the winter. Good luck with your search. If you want more information about specific Utah locations feel free to PM. 

I've heard terrific things about Boise.
KCOOI

That isn't the sweet call of a hawk soaring over the foothills of Boise, but rather the sound of us from Boise saying to the modern carpetbaggers - "Keep Californians Out of Idaho."

Boise is a great place to live but the influx of all you people is beginning to ruin what makes it great in the first place.  But I'll honestly answer your questions:

1) Boise is certainly less expensive than many part of California, but it is getting more expensive.  Daily living - where you are likely to save money and time is on the convenience of location.  Being able to easily access work, nightlife, outdoor activities.  For example from my house - I can walk or ride a mountain bike out the door and be on an awesome single track trail in less than 1/4 mile - accessing many many many miles of trails.  I can also ride a bike to downtown in about 10 minutes.  The airport is under 15 minutes.  But understand - LOCATION in Boise is key to being able to do these things.  And it comes at a price...that's getting more expensive by the day.

2) Air Quality - Probably not as bad as California - but in the winter there are days/weeks of inversion.  And in the summer wildfire smoke can fill the valley.  I've seen the smoke so bad that there have been times you can't see 100 yrds.  And the town smells like a camp site.

3) Climate- I really like the climate here.  But the summers can be hot - like 100+ degree hot (it's been 115 here in the past years and there has been a month when it was 100+ for more than 20 days).  The winters aren't as bad as people might think.  I've lived here more than 15 years - and we've only had one major snow year.  Most of the times you might get an couple of inches.  May-June and Sept-Oct are Camelot - but it's like that in a lot of places.

4) Nature - yes you can get there here however you like it.  In town or within an hour drive is world class hiking, mountain biking, river rafting/kayaking, fly fishing - the local ski area is less than 20 miles from the State Capital downtown and a ski pass is $300.  Idaho in general is rugged territory.  I'm not sure there could be a better mountain biking town than Boise.  We're talking 100's of miles of trails than span desert foothills to lush mountain forests - these are the same for hiking.  It's truly amazing.  Of course ease of access depends on where you live.  Access into the back country can be more difficult than you think due to a lack of roads.  People here are campers/RVers.  So the 2 highways into the mountains from Boise can get clogged and slow on every summer weekend - and the sweet camping spot you think you've found is likely to be full.  If you don't mind being in nature with a bunch of other RVers with careful planning you can find campsites within a couple of hours.  For better places you might need to go 4-6 hours - much of it on rough dirt roads.  Want to know some of the great hidden spots?  I'm not telling.  Also side note: in general I find that the new people moving here have ZERO trail/backcountry manners. Pick up your dogs' ####.  Move aside when someone wants to pass on the trail.  Downhill traffic yields to uphill.  In town use the ####### bike lane instead of riding in the middle of the road.  Good grief general awareness goes a long way.

5) Politics.  Idaho is the most conservative State in the Union, but parts of Boise are more liberal.  Liberal in Boise=Moderate Republican in CA.  The last time the State elected any Democrat to office (where the entire State votes on the position) was 2002.  Our National Representatives are part of the most extreme wing of the Republican Party.  Perhaps the influx of new people will moderate the States' politics.  But you can rest assured your guns will be safe here...and legal weed will never be.

6) Housing- To be able to live the "Boise Dream" (ie: out your door to trails, biking to local breweries etc) comes at a PRICE.  Specifically you'll need to live in zip codes 83702 or 83712.  PERIOD!  And those zip codes are getting more and more expensive.  Zillow or Trulia those zipcodes.  No way could you find a 3 bedroom 2 bath house for under $400k...and if you do it's going to need a major remodel.  Even the ones in the $400-500k range will likely need some work.  A good house in the 02 or 12 is more likely going to cost $600k+.  For $1m you can get an awesome house in the foothills, with a view.  But anyone thinking they are going to move from CA upgrade and live the Boise Dream in the 02 or 12 for $300k is out of their minds and is likely going to be disappointed.  Now sure you can find housing in the $300k range, but doing so means you will sacrifice all of the cool convenience you are looking for.  Move to Eagle or Nampa or Kuna...and now it takes 90 minutes to get to the ski area or the best biking/hiking trails and you have to drive and there's a lot more traffic (not CA bad) but make no mistake there can be bad traffic here and forgetaboutit when it snows.

KCOOI

That isn't the sweet call of a hawk soaring over the foothills of Boise, but rather the sound of us from Boise saying to the modern carpetbaggers - "Keep Californians Out of Idaho."

Boise is a great place to live but the influx of all you people is beginning to ruin what makes it great in the first place.  But I'll honestly answer your questions:

1) Boise is certainly less expensive than many part of California, but it is getting more expensive.  Daily living - where you are likely to save money and time is on the convenience of location.  Being able to easily access work, nightlife, outdoor activities.  For example from my house - I can walk or ride a mountain bike out the door and be on an awesome single track trail in less than 1/4 mile - accessing many many many miles of trails.  I can also ride a bike to downtown in about 10 minutes.  The airport is under 15 minutes.  But understand - LOCATION in Boise is key to being able to do these things.  And it comes at a price...that's getting more expensive by the day.

2) Air Quality - Probably not as bad as California - but in the winter there are days/weeks of inversion.  And in the summer wildfire smoke can fill the valley.  I've seen the smoke so bad that there have been times you can't see 100 yrds.  And the town smells like a camp site.

3) Climate- I really like the climate here.  But the summers can be hot - like 100+ degree hot (it's been 115 here in the past years and there has been a month when it was 100+ for more than 20 days).  The winters aren't as bad as people might think.  I've lived here more than 15 years - and we've only had one major snow year.  Most of the times you might get an couple of inches.  May-June and Sept-Oct are Camelot - but it's like that in a lot of places.

4) Nature - yes you can get there here however you like it.  In town or within an hour drive is world class hiking, mountain biking, river rafting/kayaking, fly fishing - the local ski area is less than 20 miles from the State Capital downtown and a ski pass is $300.  Idaho in general is rugged territory.  I'm not sure there could be a better mountain biking town than Boise.  We're talking 100's of miles of trails than span desert foothills to lush mountain forests - these are the same for hiking.  It's truly amazing.  Of course ease of access depends on where you live.  Access into the back country can be more difficult than you think due to a lack of roads.  People here are campers/RVers.  So the 2 highways into the mountains from Boise can get clogged and slow on every summer weekend - and the sweet camping spot you think you've found is likely to be full.  If you don't mind being in nature with a bunch of other RVers with careful planning you can find campsites within a couple of hours.  For better places you might need to go 4-6 hours - much of it on rough dirt roads.  Want to know some of the great hidden spots?  I'm not telling.  Also side note: in general I find that the new people moving here have ZERO trail/backcountry manners. Pick up your dogs' ####.  Move aside when someone wants to pass on the trail.  Downhill traffic yields to uphill.  In town use the ####### bike lane instead of riding in the middle of the road.  Good grief general awareness goes a long way.

5) Politics.  Idaho is the most conservative State in the Union, but parts of Boise are more liberal.  Liberal in Boise=Moderate Republican in CA.  The last time the State elected any Democrat to office (where the entire State votes on the position) was 2002.  Our National Representatives are part of the most extreme wing of the Republican Party.  Perhaps the influx of new people will moderate the States' politics.  But you can rest assured your guns will be safe here...and legal weed will never be.

6) Housing- To be able to live the "Boise Dream" (ie: out your door to trails, biking to local breweries etc) comes at a PRICE.  Specifically you'll need to live in zip codes 83702 or 83712.  PERIOD!  And those zip codes are getting more and more expensive.  Zillow or Trulia those zipcodes.  No way could you find a 3 bedroom 2 bath house for under $400k...and if you do it's going to need a major remodel.  Even the ones in the $400-500k range will likely need some work.  A good house in the 02 or 12 is more likely going to cost $600k+.  For $1m you can get an awesome house in the foothills, with a view.  But anyone thinking they are going to move from CA upgrade and live the Boise Dream in the 02 or 12 for $300k is out of their minds and is likely going to be disappointed.  Now sure you can find housing in the $300k range, but doing so means you will sacrifice all of the cool convenience you are looking for.  Move to Eagle or Nampa or Kuna...and now it takes 90 minutes to get to the ski area or the best biking/hiking trails and you have to drive and there's a lot more traffic (not CA bad) but make no mistake there can be bad traffic here and forgetaboutit when it snows.
Siff always has great Boise write ups!

I lived in 83712 for my first three years.  Downtown and North End have more traffic than the rest of the area, but that's the nature of a more confined  downtown area.  At it's worst, it's still 1/20th as bad as any day in So Cal. I was in So Cal last month and laugh everytime I come back. There is more traffic since I moved here 8 years ago for sure. In 8 years, I've still never been cut off and 95% of all drivers let you in when you signal.

I live in 83709 at the other end of Boise next to Meridian.  It takes us 15 minutes to get downtown to do anything Siff mentioned. We moved from the North End to be closer to our daughter when she bought a home in 83709 5 years ago.  We have a 4/2.5/2800 on 3/8 acre we bought for $309 almost 5 years ago.

People are choosing to move to Idaho because of the lifestyle it offers. 90% of those I see moving here are moving here because of the way politics are here, not to bring CA politics here. Every CA person that calls me to move here basically has the same, exact rant about CA now. LOL. 

The quality of jobs is here is rising nicely and was sorely needed. Several dozen, young software firms are now located here. My son works for one. He was first employee seven years ago. They are now up to 50. Also, only 25% moving here are from CA. They are moving here from everywhere. I've helped clients from NC, IL, Tallahasse, state of Washington and a few other places.  I just read that a Sacramento area firm is bringing 70 well paying jobs to Caldwell. Half the company is moving with them.

We're getting a lot from No Cal, So Cal, Denver and Seattle that are retiring, selling their $700-1.5mil homes and buy the same or better homes here for $300-450K. and banking the difference.

Coming from the smog of CA, the inversion we have during the winter has never bothered me. It's sucky grey outside for a week or two.

People are going to keep moving here for the quality of life.  There are 700,000 people in the Treasure Valley.  They expect 1,000,000 by 2030.  Most of that growth will happen in areas like Star, Middleton, Kuna, and areas near the Snake River like Homedale and Wilder.  Wish I was 30 again. I'd buy everything I could buy near the Snake River. Everything is going to be pushed that way in the next 30 years. Just got a young couple into a 3/2 1200 on .3 acres for $123,000, in Homedale.

Can't beat the nature. We have 1-2 camping trips set up per month for the next 5 months.

What's going on here reminds me of early '80's living in South OC when Rancho Santa Margarita, Ladera Ranch, Aliso Viejo and Coto de caza didn't even exist.  The building everywhere here is on steroids and they can't keep up. Starter, new home market has gone from $135k to $200k in two years. 

Boise is becoming a destination spot now for vacations. The VRBO market is crazy. There isn't enough hotel space in Boise despite three new ones going up recently. Virtually none in Meridian. I'm buying three VRBO homes in Boise/Meridian right now.

Check out the new "Boise Boys" show on HGTV.  They done a great job flipping homes in Siff's hood.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread