What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Post rookie-draft under the radar guys (1 Viewer)

Hankmoody

Footballguy
Ok all of my drafts are complete so I can share my bargain guys - the ones I like most in relation to their ADP.  These are guys you might be able to acquire in trade as equalizers on a bigger deal or just snag cheap from a guy (like me) that squirrels away everything on his taxi and ends up with no room for them all come final cuts so they are just willing to get "something" for them.

This wasn't a good draft for DE's.  Chubb, Landry, and Lorenzo Carter got the dreaded 3-4 spots so that killed the depth of the class.  Davenport is interesting but he went in the 2nd round of all my drafts - that's Myles Garrett territory without the pedigree.  Hard pass.  I suppose if I had to put a name out there it would be Sam Hubbard but they have Carlos Dunlap who's only 28 and just drafted two guys in the 3rd/4th last year to clog up the rotation.  He doesn't feel like a guy I can carry on my taxi for three years. 

Maurice Hurst - As a die-hard Buckeye it's reaaaallllly tough to love this one, but how can I not bring him up for DT-required leagues?  6.0 PPG makes one a starter in my league, and 9.0 PPG makes you a tier-buster.  At one point discussed as a first rounder.  Late in the process he might have slid a tad and then with the medical a lot of teams took him off their list, but that's now built into his price to acquire.  Heck he might even be one of those rare DT's that's worth playing in DL leagues.  I had him on my post-draft waivers thread but he was actually drafted in all my leagues so he goes here instead.  I got him 84 in my only DT-required league, which boggles me because he went earlier in every other league - go figure.  Big bargain there.

Rashaan Evans - he's consistently the 3rd or even 4th LB off the board, I got him everywhere at that price.  I think he'll be the best one of this class and could be in the Kwon/Deion category.

Josey Jewell - I got sniped THREE freaking times on this guy - had him queued up and the guy before me took him.  THREE.  Denver has a couple of good/solid LB's but they are also not swimming in cap money.  Brandon Marshall is kind of like guys like Karlos Dansby and D'Qwell Jackson that can't justify the final few years of a contract that was cheap early but stacks up later due to signing bonus pro-rate.  He's a good player that they just may have to let move along ala Demario Davis type guys.  Tod Davis is a complete JAG and while he doesn't have the contract anchor Marshall does he's also not on a rookie contract and his production isn't anything special (and if it does become special they won't be able to afford him either).  Jewell is similar to guys like Schobert or Jerrell Freeman in that you look at him play and he doesn't look like he's special, but all of a sudden he's got 11 solo tackles in the box score and you can't figure out how.

Micah Kiser - Huge hole in the middle of the LAR defense left by Ogletree and no incumbents that look the part.  This guy could get gifted 120 tackles and he's not good enough to make offenses pay for it so they will just keep coming right at him.  Blake Martinez 2.0 right here, and he was going in the 60's and 70's in rookie drafts.  I was too infatuated with Jaylen Samuels and Daurice Fountain to get Kiser anywhere but I'll be looking to acquire him before the season.

Terrell Edmunds - I think he ends up playing Big Nickel and may keep his S designation but get LB snaps in a terrible LB corp.  And if not, he's a safety in PIT behind a terrible LB corp.  That's going to pay off.

Ronnie Harrison - I don't understand his draft spot, he was in the 50's and 60's of all my drafts.  I don't line my team up to carry DB's but I'll be looking to "overpay" for him once final cuts are coming up.  Maybe people are scared of his spot with Barry Church there and other good DB's but as a solid young guy on a rookie contract I'm telling you he's gonna get a lot of snaps very very soon.  Teams make roster room for guys like that.  Church is $6.25M of pure cap savings next year if they cut him.

Kyzir White - Same as Edmunds.  He might be a LB, he might be a S, but wherever he is there are a ton of tackles available.  I don't know anything about how good he is but LAC drafted him in the 4th so that's good enough for me.  Perryman is done with his rookie contract after this year and hasn't justified a veteran extension so he'll get Tre Boston'd out of town.  Speaking of Tre Boston, he's also getting Tre Boston'd out of town.  White is a Boston clone, maybe a tad bigger and more physical, but again, he's cheap and that matter in today's cap-driven NFL.  If they are going to keep overpaying Rivers as they have to they need bargains elsewhere.  I wouldn't put significant resources into him but if I'm looking for a throw-in on a Julio deal this is a good name to use.

Kiser is my guy. Instincts over come physical limitations. Door is wide open for a role early and I think he's good enough to make the Rams think about making Barron a cap casualty. 

Genard Avery was a nice thought until today. Oren Burks has the athleticism to really make an impact in GB as does Jerome Baker and Malik Jefferson on their respective teams. Skai Moore and Zaire Franklin I liked more than Leonard and the opportunity is there in case that’s true. Tyquan Lewis is being roundly ignored in a lot of drafts I participated in as is Josh Sweat. Both are high end athletes. Sweat is the only other DL that hit a lot of statistical metrics that suggest a high level edge that’s listed as a DL other than Davenport. 

Maurice Hurst - As a die-hard Buckeye it's reaaaallllly tough to love this one, but how can I not bring him up for DT-required leagues?  6.0 PPG makes one a starter in my league, and 9.0 PPG makes you a tier-buster.  At one point discussed as a first rounder.  Late in the process he might have slid a tad and then with the medical a lot of teams took him off their list, but that's now built into his price to acquire.  Heck he might even be one of those rare DT's that's worth playing in DL leagues.  I had him on my post-draft waivers thread but he was actually drafted in all my leagues so he goes here instead.  I got him 84 in my only DT-required league, which boggles me because he went earlier in every other league - go figure.  Big bargain there.
Surprise offseason standouts to know for all 32 NFL teams

Oakland Raiders

Defensive tackle Maurice Hurst

Sure, Hurst was ranked by Pro Football Focus as the No. 3 overall prospect in the 2018 draft, but a heart condition that got him sent home from the combine scared off enough teams that the first-round talent fell to the Raiders in the fifth round. Hurst has been more than a pleasant surprise for Oakland in that he is running with the first-team defense in its 4-3 base at left defensive tackle (last year's starter, Eddie Vanderdoes, is rehabbing from a torn ACL) and has starred in the offseason. Beating All-Pro Kelechi Osemele when he flipped sides not only opened the eyes of the coaches, but also got the attention of Osemele, who gave the rookie the, ahem, business. -- Paul Gutierrez

The title is post-rookie draft under the radar guys, it says nothing about those guys being rookies themselves.  I've seen little-to-no love for Jones in the IDP brackets/tiers that Ive seen.  He's as young as rookies in this year's draft though if youth is the focus, and I dont think he's any less under the radar than is a 1st rounder in Evans.

I do like Kiser though as a late round pick, as far as under the radar rookies go.  A lot of talk about him though so I wonder how under the radar he'll actually be.

Last edited by a moderator:
The title is post-rookie draft under the radar guys, it says nothing about those guys being rookies themselves.  I've seen little-to-no love for Jones in the IDP brackets/tiers that Ive seen.  He's as young as rookies in this year's draft though if youth is the focus, and I dont think he's any less under the radar than is a 1st rounder in Evans.

I do like Kiser though as a late round pick, as far as under the radar rookies go.  A lot of talk about him though so I wonder how under the radar he'll actually be.

Actually Hankmoody opening post was all about the rookies.....

Anwyay, since Josh Jones is the subject now I should point it out that Kentrell Brice has been the starting SS in the first 2 days of training camp with Jones relegated to the second unit.

Genard Avery was a nice thought until today.
Cleveland Browns Training Camp Recap: Day 3 -

. Alignment to Watch: According to Jake Burns of The OBR, one of the interesting alignments that Cleveland showed up front had DT Trevon Coley and DE Emmanual Ogbah, with DE Myles Garrett and ILB Genard Avery in 2 point stances on the outside.

------------------------------------------------------------

Scott Petrak ct‏ @ScottPetrak 24h24 hours ago

#Browns LB Joe Schobert on rookie LB Genard Avery: He looks like a defensive tackle running around as a linebacker. He's humble and hard working. He has very good natural pass-rushing skills and they've transitioned to the NFL.

----------------------------------------------------------

Beast in training camp

...  Then the Browns drafted Genard Avery and signed Mychal Kendricks.

Kendricks, Christian Kirksey, and Collins are all starters in the NFL and Avery has been a beast in training camp so far. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Los Angeles Chargers LB Kyzir White saw time with the first-team defense at times during practice Monday, July 30, and has caught the attention of head coach Anthony Lynn. "I don't want to get the gun on him. I want to get him in some games to watch him play. … I get real excited talking about him. His speed. His attitude. His explosiveness. He just has great instincts as a football player," Lynn told the team's website.

Cleveland Browns Training Camp Recap: Day 3 -

. Alignment to Watch: According to Jake Burns of The OBR, one of the interesting alignments that Cleveland showed up front had DT Trevon Coley and DE Emmanual Ogbah, with DE Myles Garrett and ILB Genard Avery in 2 point stances on the outside.

------------------------------------------------------------

Scott Petrak ct‏ @ScottPetrak 24h24 hours ago

#Browns LB Joe Schobert on rookie LB Genard Avery: He looks like a defensive tackle running around as a linebacker. He's humble and hard working. He has very good natural pass-rushing skills and they've transitioned to the NFL.

----------------------------------------------------------

Beast in training camp

...  Then the Browns drafted Genard Avery and signed Mychal Kendricks.

Kendricks, Christian Kirksey, and Collins are all starters in the NFL and Avery has been a beast in training camp so far. 
Verrrrrrrrrrry good stuff on Avery.

Season 1, Episode 7: Genard Avery's Edge Rush Effectiveness

Browns Film Breakdown

Published on Aug 22, 2018

SUBSCRIBE 440

I'm joined by PFF's Brendan Leister to discuss how the Browns used Genard Avery in his preseason debut, and how his edge rushing effectiveness will pay dividends for the Browns 2018 defense.

Being an edge rushing LB isn't generally helpful for FF though.  I'd much rather have the inside guys that get a lot of coverage assignments because those guys end up piling up tackles and garbage assists when they land on top of a TE someone else tackled.  Unless it's very big scoring for big plays that rarely pays off, and I am not in any of those.

Being an edge rushing LB isn't generally helpful for FF though.  I'd much rather have the inside guys that get a lot of coverage assignments because those guys end up piling up tackles and garbage assists when they land on top of a TE someone else tackled.  Unless it's very big scoring for big plays that rarely pays off, and I am not in any of those.
Agreed. This has me wondering if he's worth the roster spot where I own him....promising player for Cleveland but little use to FF teams in non big play leagues.

Kyzir White - Same as Edmunds.  He might be a LB, he might be a S, but wherever he is there are a ton of tackles available.  I don't know anything about how good he is but LAC drafted him in the 4th so that's good enough for me.  Perryman is done with his rookie contract after this year and hasn't justified a veteran extension so he'll get Tre Boston'd out of town.  Speaking of Tre Boston, he's also getting Tre Boston'd out of town.  White is a Boston clone, maybe a tad bigger and more physical, but again, he's cheap and that matter in today's cap-driven NFL.  If they are going to keep overpaying Rivers as they have to they need bargains elsewhere.  I wouldn't put significant resources into him but if I'm looking for a throw-in on a Julio deal this is a good name to use.
Kyzir White is a LB.  :football:   Ran with the starters today.  Jatavis Brown worked with the 2s. 

shhhhhhhhhh

drewd_21 said:
Agreed. This has me wondering if he's worth the roster spot where I own him....promising player for Cleveland but little use to FF teams in non big play leagues.
Is it a dynasty? If yes then you may want to get him now with potential role expansion later.

Is it a dynasty? If yes then you may want to get him now with potential role expansion later.
Genard Avery is a legit sleeper.  They are using him in sub pressure packages and he's producing.

Last night he had a sack and a forced fumble in only a half of action.

I'm extremely pleased with what he's done and he's barely scratched the surface.

He 'kinda' reminds me of Elvis Dumervil in terms of leverage and strength.

He's not putting his hand down but he's basically a rush DE.

I'm really happy with what I see so far.  This kid is a legit find.

Looks like a legit player, I'm excited for what he an do for the Browns.  If he changes to DE that could be very interesting, and if they move one of their LB's out of his way like Collins in a cap move my ears would perk up too.  He's rostered in all my leagues though, so it would take a trade and I can't give up any kind of significant capital plus a taxi spot for such a speculative player.  I'll file this one away as one I'm willing to pay more for once I know he's worth more.

Users who are viewing this thread