What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR D.J. Chark, CAR (1 Viewer)

imjackdupp

Footballguy
He may be in a crowded corp but he is looking good in otas. I haven't missed a snap of Lsu football since the early 90's so I'm pulling for him. He certainly wont see worse Qb play than he did in college even with Bortless throwing the ball.

https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/20...rk-will-be-a-very-good-receiver-for-the-jags/

https://blackandteal.com/2018/05/29...the-jacksonville-jaguars-wide-receiving-unit/

Hope he spends a little more time in the weight room to help him deal with press coverage and I'm sure McCardell will help refine the rest of his game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob McGinn Football's Mark Eckel has LSU D.J. Chark as his seventh-ranked wide receiver.

An anonymous scout said "If you like the deep ball, or least a guy that can at least scare the (bleep) out of the safety, he will be that guy. He will bring it every time to the lid of the coverage. He can run all day." Chark is viewed as a top-tier field-stretcher after recording the fastest 40-yard dash time (4.34) among wide receivers at the NFL combine. After turning in a relatively uneventful career at LSU due to poor quarterback play, Chark exploded at the Senior Bowl for 5-160-1 and tested well at the combine. He is now in play to be an early Day 2 selection and has taken visits with the Bills and Broncos. 

Apr 22 - 4:38 PM

Source: Bob McGinn Football

An NFC team personnel director said that LSU WR D.J. Chark "has his moments where you see it, but he just hasn't been consistent and he hasn't really gotten a lot better."

"He's tall and can run but I'm still torn on whether he is going to make the improvements he needs to [to] be an NFL factor," the personnel director said of the 6-foot-3, 199-pound Chark. While his work at the combine does not answer questions about consistency and the like, it did serve as a fantastic reminder of the athletic talent which LSU's offense often allowed to waste away for lack of a passing game. In Indianapolis, the Charknado hit to the tune of a 4.34-second run through the 40-yard dash to pair with jumps of 40 inches (vertical) and 129 inches (broad). That performance was strong enough that NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah wrote at the time that Chark may well have locked up a top-50 selection. We do wonder if there's a chance that his hot stock will cool by degrees before April's draft.

Source:  NFL.com

Love the player, hate the landing spot.  I didn't draft him because I can't handle 4 years of praying he escapes.  If Bortles does catch magic again ala ARob 2015 I'll happily pony up for Chark.

I want to buy but I’d rather grab Miller who could produce right away with a young QB who he’ll grow with. I’m also trying to trade for Trubisky.

Tex

In the two drafts I have had Miller went 2.02 and 2.10 I was able to grab Chark in both drafts at 3.11 you can probably grab both or if Miller goes before you can pick him then get Chark.

Love the player, hate the landing spot.  I didn't draft him because I can't handle 4 years of praying he escapes.  If Bortles does catch magic again ala ARob 2015 I'll happily pony up for Chark.
this is where I stand on him. I was targeting him as a backup plan at 3.6 if J'Mon Moore was gone. Chark went early in my 3rd round at 3.3. hes a good stash in dynasty for 2-3 years down the line of Jacksonville doesnt out-draft him in future years

In the two drafts I have had Miller went 2.02 and 2.10 I was able to grab Chark in both drafts at 3.11 you can probably grab both or if Miller goes before you can pick him then get Chark.
yeah... this is an odd comparison. it's like saying you like Ridley over Chark. of course, everyone should. If Miller is making it to round 3... please invite me to take over an orphan team. 

Miller went 2.1 in my draft. 

I have Chark well below Miller, and I would put Pettis and Callaway a tier ahead of Chark.  How are you guys ranking him compared to J’Mon Moore, Deon Cain, Tre’Quan Smith, Coutee or Hamilton?

I have Chark well below Miller, and I would put Pettis and Callaway a tier ahead of Chark.  How are you guys ranking him compared to J’Mon Moore, Deon Cain, Tre’Quan Smith, Coutee or Hamilton?
I have Smith and Moore ahead of the rest.  Callaway, Hamilton and Coutee are in the same tier, but I tend to prefer them to Chark.  Just hard to get excited about a one-dimensional talent in a crowded situation eith a sub-par QB.

Cain is one I don’t have a strong opinion on...not sure where to rank him, honestly.

I have chark equal with cain. cain went 3.1, chark 3.3

I'd put both on the same level as Moore, but I like Moores value better just for his situation and qb

Jaguars coach Doug Marrone said second-round WR D.J. Chark still has a "ways to go."

Marrone said the rookie has "made plays" throughout training camp, but believes the team can still get more out of him. A burner with elite athleticism, the LSU alum profiles as a deep threat, though he could be limited to special teams/return work in year one.

Source: Hays Carlyon on Twitter 

Aug 5 - 10:32 AM

ESPN Jaguars reporter Michael DiRocco reports second-round rookie D.J. Chark has been the "most impressive receiver" at training camp.

Each of the Jaguars' receivers has earned praise at some point this summer; sophomore Dede Westbrook was the one getting the hype earlier this week. But DiRocco says Chark has "routinely" been making catches over defenders, including CBs Jalen Ramsey and A.J. Bouye. Chark is a phenomenal athlete with long speed and a lengthy frame. He caught his lone target for 15 yards in the first preseason game. The Jaguars may use a committee approach at wideout.

Source: ESPN.com 

Aug 15 - 11:05 AM

I sure hope he does well. I wasn't expecting a ton. Would love to pair him with the potential of Golladay and Mike Williams in dynasty. 

I sure hope he does well. I wasn't expecting a ton. Would love to pair him with the potential of Golladay and Mike Williams in dynasty. 
Dynasty:  Got him with my last rookie pick at 3.06.  Like you I wasn't expecting a lot   Anything positive is gravy considering his draft slot.

With everyone cheating up to stack the box on Fournette, and this guy stretching the field, he's going to see lots of one on one, and probably going to see the 3rd or 4th CB when he does. That's a pretty good situation 

He's a great athlete. Even Bortles' short comings as a qb he will be fine. By the end of the season, he and Cole are going to own the wr opps in Jax. Moncrief sucks. Lee is over rated. Dede is a factor but unless they decide to use him vastly differently than the 7 games he played last year, he projects for 66/775/2, would be wr 38/39 in my dynasty leagues.

I think its unlikely any of them really stand out fantasy wise this season. Unless injury and or very poor/great performance forces a change, it will be a muddied mess

I think its unlikely any of them really stand out fantasy wise this season. Unless injury and or very poor/great performance forces a change, it will be a muddied mess
Exactly. DiRocco was on local radio this morning and he and the beat writers agreed that you’ll likely see 3 Jags WR with 40-60 catches this year.   The problem is predicting which 3. 

The local guys see Cole as the clear #1 with Lee likely #2 due to experience, blocking ability and the effectiveness of his ubiquitous drag routes

One interesting take that makes a lot of sense is that if Chark continues to progress, he could supplant Moncrief towards the end of the year   Both are big and fast, but the Jags had a first round grade on Chark and Moncrief is likely a one-and-doner, so why not get the future on the field sooner if all things are equal

Exactly. DiRocco was on local radio this morning and he and the beat writers agreed that you’ll likely see 3 Jags WR with 40-60 catches this year.   The problem is predicting which 3. 

The local guys see Cole as the clear #1 with Lee likely #2 due to experience, blocking ability and the effectiveness of his ubiquitous slant routes

One interesting take that makes a lot of sense is that if Chark continues to progress, he could supplant Moncrief towards the end of the year   Both are big and fast, but the Jags had a first round grade on Chark and Moncrief is likely a one-and-doner, so why not get the future on the field sooner if all things are equal
Their goal line offense could be ridiculous. W/ Fournette in the backfield, and If Lazard makes the team, you also have moncrief who isnt super tall, but hes a big strong guy, also chark, ASJ... If BB3 can keep it somewhat in bounds, he should have fades and jump balls to throw for days.

Many average to above average mouths to feed in Jacksonville.
Which means if Chark is an elite mouth, he should rise to the top quite easily. In other words, there's not a lot in front of him to keep targets away from him. He's got a pretty easy path to being a primary starter. 

Which means if Chark is an elite mouth, he should rise to the top quite easily. In other words, there's not a lot in front of him to keep targets away from him. He's got a pretty easy path to being a primary starter. 
I think I agree with this mostly. I am a Chark believer, and I like Cole a lot as well.

I am unsure how they are going to treat this group at the middle and end of the season as opposed to the beginning. I feel like at least at the start, Lee and Moncrief will be given every opportunity to play up to their deals. It may well fail (it likely will because I think theyre both not very good players), but most organizations don't have it in them to put the capital into a position whether its draft capital, or actual money, and then admit they were wrong and punt right away. So we will just need to wait and see how they handle it, and how long this experiment will go on before they make a move if needed.

I think I agree with this mostly. I am a Chark believer, and I like Cole a lot as well.

I am unsure how they are going to treat this group at the middle and end of the season as opposed to the beginning. I feel like at least at the start, Lee and Moncrief will be given every opportunity to play up to their deals. It may well fail (it likely will because I think theyre both not very good players), but most organizations don't have it in them to put the capital into a position whether its draft capital, or actual money, and then admit they were wrong and punt right away. So we will just need to wait and see how they handle it, and how long this experiment will go on before they make a move if needed.
Oh, I get that and Chark is not going to see the field for my team for at least a half a season barring injury or some fluke Bolden like break out. Neither am I banking on. Lee and Montcrief will trot out there, show they don't have much to show, week in and week out, and after the GM/coach get over their own egos about wasting money on these guys, they will look to Chark. Which means Chark starts probably 2-4 games later than he should, but he'll be in there by the end of the year. 

Any word on how Moncrief plays into things? He’s the one dude I haven’t heard much about there.

also some buzz about Dede Westbrook in camp. 

I want to invest in a Jag receiver this year, but I’m afraid of drafting a JAG receiver. 

He's an ok WR in a room full of ok WRs with an ok QB on a team that wants to run the ball a lot with an ok offensive line. He'll be ok, maybe a WR 5, but not really worth owning. 
That’s an accurate reflection of current state. On the other hand, he’s a WR who was raw when drafted but has rare tools and only ok WRs in front of him, so he’s the kind of bet I like to cheaply make a bunch of in aggregate (while I wouldn’t pay a ton to have him, specifically). Becoming the clear-cut WR1 there isn’t overwhelmingly likely but seems to be within his range of outcomes

Foles is a huge upgrade to the passing game and someone will benefit. I like Charks speed and quickness once he catches the ball....however catching the ball may be his biggest challenge. Overall a nice flier on a rising passing offense.

Foles is a huge upgrade to the passing game and someone will benefit. 
Everyone loves saying this but over his seven year NFL career Foles has started more than half a dozen regular season games three times. The most(11) was back in 2015 for the Rams. I'm not saying the guy can't play well for stretches, but have we ever actually seen him have prolonged success?

I wish they had a decent backup QB(like Tyrod Taylor) because in my very, very deep leagues I'd have Foles backup. If you put a list together of starting QB's likely to disappoint I'd have Foles right near the top. They have some talent at WR, but very little at TE and worse yet.... what happens when Fournette goes down again? Then Foles will be carrying the brunt of the offense behind a worse OL than he had in PHI. That's not to mention Foles biggest problem. He is going from an innovative, well balanced offense to a stone age uninspiring offensive philosophy in JAX. Go back and look at how Foles played with Fisher in an "old school" offense. It's wasn't pretty. 

Everyone loves saying this but over his seven year NFL career Foles has started more than half a dozen regular season games three times. The most(11) was back in 2015 for the Rams. I'm not saying the guy can't play well for stretches, but have we ever actually seen him have prolonged success?

I wish they had a decent backup QB(like Tyrod Taylor) because in my very, very deep leagues I'd have Foles backup. If you put a list together of starting QB's likely to disappoint I'd have Foles right near the top. They have some talent at WR, but very little at TE and worse yet.... what happens when Fournette goes down again? Then Foles will be carrying the brunt of the offense behind a worse OL than he had in PHI. That's not to mention Foles biggest problem. He is going from an innovative, well balanced offense to a stone age uninspiring offensive philosophy in JAX. Go back and look at how Foles played with Fisher in an "old school" offense. It's wasn't pretty. 
Minshew is pretty decent. Sure he's a rookie, but I think if he was thrown out there, he'd be capable. Better than some other backups around the league.

I am not sure everyone loves to say that but I would challenge anyone to compare Bortles and Foles tape and not come up with the conclusion that Foles is huge upgrade. I am not saying that Foles is an all-Pro, but he is a professional QB who has shown the ability to play at a high level in is league. I think Bortles is better than Tim Tebow at QB but that is the best compliment I can think of right now. Bortles was surrounded by an outstanding team and he was the weakest link on his squad.

And Jeff Fisher....he made Jared Goff look like a mistake. I don’t put any relevance on a players impact with Jeff Fisher.

Chark could start putting it together with Foles later in the year. He's more of a 2020 guy for me but Foles could accelerate that step up.

He's got size and speed. Looks very twitchy out there. If he can get better at running routes he could be very good in this league. 

Hmmmm Chark and Conley both healthy scratches for the first preseason game. That's likely an indication they are both looking at starting........

Users who are viewing this thread