What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mr. Rogers (1 Viewer)

More of a cultural topic than a political one, but I agree with you. 

In terms of political personalities over the last several decades, which one was the closest to Mr Rogers in terms of demeanor? I would say it has to be Barack Obama. Which one is clearly his most opposite? That’s easy: our current President. 

I don't it's being too dramatic to say this type of thing is more relevant and needed now more than ever. 
I am acutely aware of seeming, feeling, being old/older, but today's children's programming today seems scary and weird. A little too adult, a little too sophisticated, sometimes violent and dark (especially the Saturday morning anime stuff), but I dunno maybe as an adult my perspective is off.

Mr. Rogers was one of the least political people in the history of the world, so it's a little unsettling to see a thread about him in the Politics Forum.
Except when he went to congress to protect public television and all of the barriers he broke on his show regarding race, class, and disability. 
That wasn't political, though. Congress asked him to explain what he does for a living, so he did.

I know that liberals have tried to portray Rogers' testimony as some sort of watershed political moment (where the liberal "it takes a village" philosophy triumphs over those stingy and mean conservatives in Congress), but it wasn't like that at all. Fred Rogers wasn't political, and his show wasn't political. He believed in helping children, period. Congress asked him to explain his show, and that's what he did.

Anyway, it just seems weird to see a topic about him in the Political Forum.

I have his portrait in my office. People think it’s weird. I think he was one of the great men of the 20th century. I also have a portrait of Lemmy. Now that I see it on paper that IS weird.......so be it. 
Quite a dichotomy there. Very cool

That wasn't political, though. Congress asked him to explain what he does for a living, so he did.

I know that liberals have tried to portray Rogers' testimony as some sort of watershed political moment (where the liberal "it takes a village" philosophy triumphs over those stingy and mean conservatives in Congress), but it wasn't like that at all. Fred Rogers wasn't political, and his show wasn't political. He believed in helping children, period. Congress asked him to explain his show, and that's what he did.

Anyway, it just seems weird to see a topic about him in the Political Forum.
I don’t see him as a partisan but he definitely believed in certain policy objectives.  That’s kinda what politics is supposed to be.

I have his portrait in my office. People think it’s weird. I think he was one of the great men of the 20th century. I also have a portrait of Lemmy. Now that I see it on paper that IS weird.......so be it. 
@the rover Has an autographed picture of me in his office and I don't think it's weird. :shrug:

In this day and age, I was hoping this wasn't going to be a thread exposing Mr Rogers as yet another celebrity sexual harraser.
Interesting spinoff topic for who you try to model yourself after or who you consider the ideal man. Easily Cary Grant for me. He was a great combination of old school and new school. Class all the way and by every account I’ve ever read he was a tremendously kind man.

Interesting spinoff topic for who you try to model yourself after or who you consider the ideal man. Easily Cary Grant for me. He was a great combination of old school and new school. Class all the way and by every account I’ve ever read he was a tremendously kind man.
Seriously, read about Stan Musial.  Dude was the epitome of class and leading by example.  From befriending and sticking up for Jackie Robinson to making sure children never saw he drinking and smoking and so much in between. 

And for sure, I know this doesn't fit really in the Poliitcal thread. I also posted in the FFA this morning. I guess where it fits for me with political is I wish we had more of his vibe in political discussion today in our country. 

Me and my girlfriend went and saw it over the weekend, it was perfect.  Especially the part about Daniel.  :cry:  

it was terrific.

more relevant than ever

i wonder if he was hated by conservatives at the time?
Why?  He was a Republican

And I didn't remember how much of current events he actually tackled

Last edited by a moderator:
Why?  He was a Republican

And I didn't remember how much of current events he actually tackled
I guess too it was back in the day where it wasn't as divisive.

He was just extremely inclusive and that message does not sell well nowadays.  I have every season of Mr. Rogers available for my kids and when i watch i think he would get absolutely killed nowadays by the Hannity's of the world.  

Bought the dvd for my mom who I consider the person who made me who I am.  She encouraged me to watch Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood.  We watched it together with my wife and kids.  I got plenty misty.  :cry:

Which of the five nominees do you think it should replace?
According to the internet, these were the nominees:

“Free Solo,” Jimmy Chin, Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi
“Hale County This Morning, This Evening,” RaMell Ross
“Minding the Gap,” Bing Liu
“Of Fathers and Sons,” Talal Derki
“RBG,” Betsy West, Julie Cohen

The only one I saw was RBG, which was terrific. I don’t know why Whitney didn’t make it. That was also fantastic.

I would vote for either Whitney or Won’t You Be My Neighbor? over any of the ones I didn’t see. Three Identical Strangers is in the next tier.

Without looking at the odds (people bet on this right) I would bet my house that "RBG" will win. Lock of the century.

As sad as the movie was (a good sad by the way), the end of the movie was depressing.  I had no idea that people blame millennials being what they are today because Mr Rogers told that they were special just the way you are and then when people realize that others think differently they get mad and bitter.    The whole purpose of that was to build self confidence which for kids is extremely vital.  If jerks want to beat that out of you, it isn't the fault of the people who originally instilled it in you.  Also the story of his funeral and those GOD HATES douchebags where picketing and one of the guys just looked at the sadness of this kids being forced to do these people biddings.  Just horrible

Glad I didn't watch this at the movies because I would have need a good 5 minutes afterward to collect my thoughts after 90 straight minutes of it.

As sad as the movie was (a good sad by the way), the end of the movie was depressing.  I had no idea that people blame millennials being what they are today because Mr Rogers told that they were special just the way you are and then when people realize that others think differently they get mad and bitter.    The whole purpose of that was to build self confidence which for kids is extremely vital.  If jerks want to beat that out of you, it isn't the fault of the people who originally instilled it in you.  Also the story of his funeral and those GOD HATES douchebags where picketing and one of the guys just looked at the sadness of this kids being forced to do these people biddings.  Just horrible

Glad I didn't watch this at the movies because I would have need a good 5 minutes afterward to collect my thoughts after 90 straight minutes of it.
Well, we really haven't figured it all out as a society. What really surprises me about that is that we've gotten worse at it in my lifetime. I don't like the old codes, but they're a far sight better than no code. Why would we not have a plan for the conduct of life? Improvising is for fools & geniuses only. 

There is an animal and a computer inside each of us. The computer is supposed to supercede the animal during the course of a life but, instead, the computer ends up abstracting/enablling/excusing our animal urges 99+% of the time. There is a reason for this - a design flaw in the system - that we will be one day be able to conquer, but i can guarantee you one thing. If a child does not feel his value, he will instantly turn to his animal defenses and will never go back, never become fully human. There is no more courageous act than being as soft and available and understanding as we are strong and firm. We will be animals pounding computers until we get that.

Users who are viewing this thread