What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do not "rescue" baby wild animals (1 Viewer)

parasaurolophus

Footballguy
Obviously with this being the time that so many baby animals are being born I am seeing stories from the local humane societies about babies being dropped off that are perfectly healthy and likely have been stolen from their parents. Wildlife rescue place about 45 minutes north of me has put out an alert that they are full from the sudden influx of "rescues". Saw this story about some bobcats. One of my wife's friends asked on facebook about a fawn she found in her yard and wondered what to do with it(you know the logical place to go instead of calling humane society or googling it). 

Good guide for when they might actually need rescuing.

I know people are just trying to help but it is depressing what people do sometimes without thinking. Especially when they take to social media to post pictures of the pattern in their latte but they cant google what to do with baby animals. 

Question on adult animals, not sure if I did the right thing yesterday.  My wife took the dog out yesterday to do her business (the dog, not my wife).  She comes back in and says "there is a HUGE turtle in the driveway!"  She's dramatic, so I assume its just an average sized turtle.  I get outside, and it is the largest turtle I have ever seen outside of a zoo/nature center.  It is probably 2 ft from nose to tail, and over a foot wide.  I get a good look at it and can tell it is not a snapping turtle, but it still has some serious claws on it. 

I ponder what to do (debating between leaving it be and moving it to a safer place).  We live two blocks from a lake (which I assume she is heading back to after laying eggs somewhere in the neighborhood).  Part of me thinks, leave nature to itself, it made it up here, it can make it back. However, it has to cross two streets (one quiet, one busy), and four yards if going in a straight line.  Based on the size of this turtle, I think it must be quite old.  I think it would be a shame for this creature not to make it back either being hit by a car, run into someone's dog, non thinking kid, etc, and run into harm.  So, for better or worse, I decide to put it in a wheelbarrow and bring it down to the lake.

Ironically, on the local news that night was a story specifcally about a group that rescues and releases injured turtles.  It had pictures of mangled turtles that ran into traffic or whatnot, and shows them being healed and released.  I am not feeling good that I saved this turtle from this kind of incident, but then the tagline to the story is "it is always best to leave turtles be if you find them."  Wait, what?  So I shouldn't help a turtle even though you just showed me picturles of nearly destroyed turtles for the last two minutes?

Question on adult animals, not sure if I did the right thing yesterday.  My wife took the dog out yesterday to do her business (the dog, not my wife).  She comes back in and says "there is a HUGE turtle in the driveway!"  She's dramatic, so I assume its just an average sized turtle.  I get outside, and it is the largest turtle I have ever seen outside of a zoo/nature center.  It is probably 2 ft from nose to tail, and over a foot wide.  I get a good look at it and can tell it is not a snapping turtle, but it still has some serious claws on it. 

I ponder what to do (debating between leaving it be and moving it to a safer place).  We live two blocks from a lake (which I assume she is heading back to after laying eggs somewhere in the neighborhood).  Part of me thinks, leave nature to itself, it made it up here, it can make it back. However, it has to cross two streets (one quiet, one busy), and four yards if going in a straight line.  Based on the size of this turtle, I think it must be quite old.  I think it would be a shame for this creature not to make it back either being hit by a car, run into someone's dog, non thinking kid, etc, and run into harm.  So, for better or worse, I decide to put it in a wheelbarrow and bring it down to the lake.

Ironically, on the local news that night was a story specifcally about a group that rescues and releases injured turtles.  It had pictures of mangled turtles that ran into traffic or whatnot, and shows them being healed and released.  I am not feeling good that I saved this turtle from this kind of incident, but then the tagline to the story is "it is always best to leave turtles be if you find them."  Wait, what?  So I shouldn't help a turtle even though you just showed me picturles of nearly destroyed turtles for the last two minutes?
You should have just put a traffic cone on its back. 

Around these parts, we have sea turtles that nest on the beaches during the summer months.  As you can imagine, they are very good swimmers.  We also have ghost tortoises that burrow and live in the sand dunes just above the beach.  They swim like rocks.  Every year, without fail, we get tourist do-gooder samaritan types that find the gopher tortoises in the dunes and "return them" to the ocean.  :wall: :no:

How do you know it wasn't trying to go the other way?

Took that bad boy 2 weeks to get to your driveway with probably only 1 more day of travel to get to its final place and you sent it back to the start.

SHAME!@!#!@#

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/59/37/ba/5937bafacd98a8df28f829ae0566f690.jpg

"If one more ###hole puts me back in the f###ing pond I AM GONNA SNAP!!!"
They do live in/near water so I did put him/her in the right spot.

I do have a few spots in my lawn that after further inspection could be nests of where turtle eggs are laid.  Though the DNR website says eggs are laid in the fall typically.  :unsure:  

Obviously with this being the time that so many baby animals are being born I am seeing stories from the local humane societies about babies being dropped off that are perfectly healthy and likely have been stolen from their parents. Wildlife rescue place about 45 minutes north of me has put out an alert that they are full from the sudden influx of "rescues". Saw this story about some bobcats. One of my wife's friends asked on facebook about a fawn she found in her yard and wondered what to do with it(you know the logical place to go instead of calling humane society or googling it). 

Good guide for when they might actually need rescuing.

I know people are just trying to help but it is depressing what people do sometimes without thinking. Especially when they take to social media to post pictures of the pattern in their latte but they cant google what to do with baby animals. 
People are stupid

I occasionally move turtles out of the road so they don’t get hit, but only a few feet past the curb.  What they do after that is on them.  

Several weeks ago, two of my kids were walking the dog and noticed a baby squirrel just laying spread out on the ground. You could see it breathing, but it wasn't moving other than that. It had clearly fallen out of the nest at the top of the tree (at least a 20 foot drop). They called me to come see it and they asked what they should do. I told them that their options were to just leave it alone to be potentially picked up by the neighborhood owl or other bird or put it out of its misery. They, of course, had no interest in killing it so they continued on their dog walk. About 15 minutes later, my daughter sends me a video of the little guy walking around on his own and he seemed fine. When we went back a little while later, it was gone (I'll assume mom carried him back up.) Good thing the kids didn't listen to me and put him out of his misery.

They do live in/near water so I did put him/her in the right spot.

I do have a few spots in my lawn that after further inspection could be nests of where turtle eggs are laid.  Though the DNR website says eggs are laid in the fall typically.  :unsure:  
I was wondering what other turtle would be that big. My FIL had them laying eggs in his mulch a couple years ago. He even got a picture of one dropping an egg. I just checked my emails and it was on June 10, so this is the right time of year.

I was wondering what other turtle would be that big. My FIL had them laying eggs in his mulch a couple years ago. He even got a picture of one dropping an egg. I just checked my emails and it was on June 10, so this is the right time of year.
I'm no turtle expert, so I just assumed many turtles could grow to that size if they survived long enough.  All the little hand sized painted turtles I've seen I just assumed were the ones dumb enough to get caught.  Then I looked through the species found in MN and saw the snapper was the only one possibility of this size.

dgreen said:
Several weeks ago, two of my kids were walking the dog and noticed a baby squirrel just laying spread out on the ground. You could see it breathing, but it wasn't moving other than that. It had clearly fallen out of the nest at the top of the tree (at least a 20 foot drop). They called me to come see it and they asked what they should do. I told them that their options were to just leave it alone to be potentially picked up by the neighborhood owl or other bird or put it out of its misery. They, of course, had no interest in killing it so they continued on their dog walk. About 15 minutes later, my daughter sends me a video of the little guy walking around on his own and he seemed fine. When we went back a little while later, it was gone (I'll assume mom carried him back up.) Good thing the kids didn't listen to me and put him out of his misery.
You couldn’t try poking him first to see if it could move?

Users who are viewing this thread