What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Farmer Guys - What are you growing? (1 Viewer)

Chemical X

Footballguy
Was out early this morning watering my herbs and veggies.  This year I have a patio tomato plant, sage, purple basil, rosemary, marjoram and thyme.  In my planting beds I have cherry and grape tomatoes, yellow squash, cucmbers, basil, kale, cilantro, red peppers and broccoli.

Was wondering if anyone else grows and can offer some harvest and pruning tips.  The broccoli has 1 bunch, but I don't see anymore.  When do I harvest?  Do I trim leaves?  Also, the yellow squash has giant stems and leaves, with the squash coming from the flowers (the flowers are edible if you batter and fry FYI).  do I trim back the leaves, should I?  I have done some pruning, so the leaves do not block the actual squash from sunlight. 

We do herbs but not much else, we've tried peppers in the past and that worked out fairly well.  Tomato plants were a PITA, but they did provide some fresh tomatoes.

Dwarf avocado tree will be fruiting later this summer and I have an ornamental pepper plant.  Pretty much it.

We do herbs but not much else, we've tried peppers in the past and that worked out fairly well.  Tomato plants were a PITA, but they did provide some fresh tomatoes.
I have struggled with regular tomato plants, they just get so big.  I have had better success with the grape and cherries.

I have struggled with regular tomato plants, they just get so big.  I have had better success with the grape and cherries.
That is our problem, they get big and fall over, or you need those damn wire cages that take up a bunch of room.  Maybe we'll have to try the cherry.  :thumbup:

Was out early this morning watering my herbs and veggies.  This year I have a patio tomato plant, sage, purple basil, rosemary, marjoram and thyme.  In my planting beds I have cherry and grape tomatoes, yellow squash, cucmbers, basil, kale, cilantro, red peppers and broccoli.

Was wondering if anyone else grows and can offer some harvest and pruning tips.  The broccoli has 1 bunch, but I don't see anymore.  When do I harvest?  Do I trim leaves?  Also, the yellow squash has giant stems and leaves, with the squash coming from the flowers (the flowers are edible if you batter and fry FYI).  do I trim back the leaves, should I?  I have done some pruning, so the leaves do not block the actual squash from sunlight. 
I usually do tomatoes, peppers, squash, and cucumbers.  I was travelling a lot this Spring and did nothing.   :kicksrock:

I never do anything to my squash plants (yellow and zucchini) except try to keep the damn bugs away.  Peppers and tomatoes are easy in my part of the country (Oklahoma).  If your tomatoes are healthy but not putting on fruit, shake the cages around so the pollen gets spread around.  

Tomatoes, green peppers, banana peppers, peas, green beans, radish, carrots, cucumber, yellow squash, spaghetti squash, zucchini, basil, cilantro, parsley, watermelon, beets, and brussel sprouts.

Getting ready to plant pumpkins probably today or tomorrow. 

Bananas. Does anyone have experience growing them? Does that bulb on the bottom need to be removed to hasten the growth? Do they start turning yellow on the tree or only when I remove them? How do I know when they should be removed?

Bananas

I did just by a meyer lemon tree.  We'll see how that does, but it would be cool to get some lemons.
I forgot I have a Meyer Lemon and Key Lime tree (aka gin and tonic tree) that is great.  You need to protect them from the cold and prune them a lot to grow upright (unless you want a bush).  We have Christmas lights wrapped around them and cover them when it gets cold. Meyer lemons are great.  I make lemonade with little or no sugar.  Delicious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went for quality over quantity this year. 
:goodposting:  We used to plant a lot more, but I gave up on squash/zucchini/cucumbers/tomatoes/melons/etc because people are pretty much giving them away in the summer anyway.

The only things we plant now are cherry tomatoes (which produce hundreds - we slice them in half and dry them in the dehydrator and eat them all year) and a couple jalapeno plants (which I slice and pickle to be eaten all year). 

Bananas. Does anyone have experience growing them? Does that bulb on the bottom need to be removed to hasten the growth? Do they start turning yellow on the tree or only when I remove them? How do I know when they should be removed?

Bananas
I never did anything with ours but let them ripen on the tree.  They eventually started turning yellow and tasted good, they were just very small.  BTW, if you have not already experienced this, banana trees will spread out in a hurry and destroy fences, foundations, etc. if you allow them near structure.

I forgot I have a Meyer Lemon and Key Lime tree (aka gin and tonic tree) that is great.  You need to protect them from the cold and prune them a lot to grow upright (unless you want a bush).  We have Christmas lights wrapped around them and cover them when it gets cold. Meyer lemons are great.  I make lemonade with little or no sugar.  Delicious.
 where are you located?

Zucchini, watermelon, basil, oregano, blueberries, onions, tomato, sweet potatoes.

I really want a Strawberry patch, but I don't have a decent spot to plant something that will be dedicated to only strawberries for the next few years.

Bought a new house with a couple raised beds in the side yard.   Planted kale, beets, peppers and carrots.  First thing to sprout?  Virginia strawberries from the previous owners.

That is our problem, they get big and fall over, or you need those damn wire cages that take up a bunch of room.  Maybe we'll have to try the cherry.  :thumbup:
Have you tried these? I have some, just never planted them, not much of a gardener and CPA wife just is too busy in spring!

Went for quality over quantity this year.  2 Roma tomato plants, 2 grape tomatoes, 2 jalapeno, 2 "fooled ya" jalapeno, and a few varieties of onions.  I usually cram twice as much stuff in the space so this should be a lot easier to take care of.  The roma and grape tomato plants get huge.

My dad planted a couple short rows of sweat corn in my garden also.  Should finish a few weeks later than his.
Not a farmer but I was told by some old timers, that you should always have at least four rows (even short rows) of corn so they can pollinate each other better. I just listened to them and went with two patches of six rows each. I planted the patches about two weeks apart so I would two different harvest times.

I'm out on cilantro.  Much cheaper to buy bunches from grocery store. Rosemary and basil are easy and pretty robust. 

Bunnies tend to take anything good, so I don't bother with much else. 

Cherry tomatoes, tomatoes, hot peppers, sweet peppers, red bell peppers, eggplant, zucchini, cucumbers.

Good thread idea ?

I never grew broccoli, I never pruned any squash ... Just let it do its thing. Don't let them get real big though, too many big seeds

I have two fairly big raised planter beds and this year I'm growing zucchini, pattypan squash, 2 heirloom tomato plants, 1 cherry tomato plant, 4 strawberry plants that I've had going the last 3 years, 1 raspberry plant on a trellis that I've also had for 3 years, yellow bell pepper, cucumber, and a bunch of green beans that are growing over an arched trellis connecting the two planters.  

In my front yard I've got a mature navel orange tree, and last year I planted a meyer lemon tree and a santa rosa plum tree in the backyard.  

Edit to add: Have an herb garden with basil, chives, mint and italian parsley.  Basil is so easy to grow that I'll never buy in the store again, but I cant figure out how to grow cilantro

We have a fairly large garden and have a number of fruit trees. Our rows are 50 feet in length. 8 rows of early silver queen corn, 8 more yet to go in of late Ambrosia corn, 5 rows of potatoes, 2 rows of tomatoes, 2 of mixed greens, 2 of green beans, one of sweet peas, 2 of peppers, 1 of broccoli, 1 of brussel sprouts, 2 of asparagus. We have 3 cherry trees, 4 apple, 2 pear, 10 blueberry bushes, 40 feet of raspberry, 20 feet of blackberry, 4 kiwi plants (cold hardy), 2 paw paw, 2 fig trees, 2 goji berry bushes, 3 plum, 5 peach, and a 30 foot grape arbor.

Dickies said:
I have two fairly big raised planter beds and this year I'm growing zucchini, pattypan squash, 2 heirloom tomato plants, 1 cherry tomato plant, 4 strawberry plants that I've had going the last 3 years, 1 raspberry plant on a trellis that I've also had for 3 years, yellow bell pepper, cucumber, and a bunch of green beans that are growing over an arched trellis connecting the two planters.  

In my front yard I've got a mature navel orange tree, and last year I planted a meyer lemon tree and a santa rosa plum tree in the backyard.  

Edit to add: Have an herb garden with basil, chives, mint and italian parsley.  Basil is so easy to grow that I'll never buy in the store again, but I cant figure out how to grow cilantro
cilantro is the death of me.  as far as i can tell, not too much water and lots of shade.  keep trimming, don't let it flower.  at the end of season, let it seed for coriander.

cilantro is the death of me.  as far as i can tell, not too much water and lots of shade.  keep trimming, don't let it flower.  at the end of season, let it seed for coriander.
Yea, that seems like way too much work.  I've tried growing it a bunch of times and I end up with long stalks that have no leaves.

10-15 tomato plants (our biggest crop to can salsa with) one year we had 27 tomato plants

2 rows of onions

row of romaine 

zucchini

cucumbers

peas that came back this year

strawberries everywhere whether you want them or not

potatoes that always come back

most of the herb garden stays/comes back every year, too may to list

various pepper plants that always yield mixed results, it's hard to keep them warm enough long enough

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, the old lady has been managing the garden the last couple years so I can focus on a bunch of other things.

What are you guys feeding vegetable plants with?

Looking for something to mix in watering can, trying to get away from chemically miracle gro

Got tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant, butternut squash, jalapenos, bell peppers, and some herbs.  Lots of good stuff.  Grew some giant pumpkins last couple of years, but the kids don't like to carve them  so ended up with lots of seeds.  Not sure if the economics add up but sure is nice to go pick some fresh vegetables.  Also have a rhubarb patch but not a good one, to short of stalks.

Peas, green beans, eggplant, zucchini, cucumbers, parsley, 2 kinds of basil, sage, rosemary, 3 kinds of oregano, thyme, 2 kinds of mint, chives, bunching onions, jalapeno peppers, cayenne peppers, lunchbox orange bell peppers, pimientos, heirloom tomatoes (German queen,  Brandywine, Cherokee purple, Black Prince, Beefsteak, San Marzano and black cherries), cherry and grape tomatoes, tomatillos, rhubarb, Meyer lemon, amnesia haze, chocolope and big bud

If tomato plant growth is a problem, there's a variety of common bush (or dwarf) tomatoes that rarely get over 4' high and 3' wide. Most nurseries should have a selection. Like Better Boys? Try Better Bush. Like Early Girls? There's a bush variety that tastes better and produces bigger fruit. Most cherry tomatoes produce massive plants. I have Sungolds and Super Sweet 100s over 8' already with a few months of growth ahead, but Husky Red is a dwarf cherry, super hardy and great tasting. I sliced up a handful for my burger tonight.

We have a fairly large garden and have a number of fruit trees. Our rows are 50 feet in length. 8 rows of early silver queen corn, 8 more yet to go in of late Ambrosia corn, 5 rows of potatoes, 2 rows of tomatoes, 2 of mixed greens, 2 of green beans, one of sweet peas, 2 of peppers, 1 of broccoli, 1 of brussel sprouts, 2 of asparagus. We have 3 cherry trees, 4 apple, 2 pear, 10 blueberry bushes, 40 feet of raspberry, 20 feet of blackberry, 4 kiwi plants (cold hardy), 2 paw paw, 2 fig trees, 2 goji berry bushes, 3 plum, 5 peach, and a 30 foot grape arbor.
Holy hell that's a lot.  Do you do a lot of canning?  Sell at the Farmer's market?  How much time a week do you spend working on that garden?  That's 34 50 foot rows of crops, plus your fruit trees.  

This year we went with yellow squash, zucchini, cucumbers, green beans, tomatoes, pumpkin, watermelon, spearmint, peppermint, rosemary and basil. I also planted jalapeno and bell peppers, but for some reason they just will not sprout, whereas they used to do great in the exact same spot. Really strange. My mint plants are actually doing a little too well, so I need to trim them both back. Also have wild blackberries and strawberries around the house. Best crop I have at this point, though, is the gd kudzu. We have had a massive amount of rain lately, and the kudzu is trying to overrun everything.

If tomato plant growth is a problem, there's a variety of common bush (or dwarf) tomatoes that rarely get over 4' high and 3' wide. Most nurseries should have a selection. Like Better Boys? Try Better Bush. Like Early Girls? There's a bush variety that tastes better and produces bigger fruit. Most cherry tomatoes produce massive plants. I have Sungolds and Super Sweet 100s over 8' already with a few months of growth ahead, but Husky Red is a dwarf cherry, super hardy and great tasting. I sliced up a handful for my burger tonight.
What part of the country are you in that you already have 8' tomato plants that are producing? Start from seed indoors if in cooler climate? :Jealous:

We have a ~12'x 3' raised planting bed that I put in last year.  this year we have 3 types of regular tomatoes, a san marzano (new this year), and a couple cherry tomatoes, plus this past week we've gained a few more that sprouted from seeds left last year (yeah neglecting your garden and let tomatoes rot to the point that they seed.) Sage wintered over ok as did the mint, both started going crazy this spring so the mint went into a pot on the deck and the sage got a massive haircut (anyone know the proper technique to drying sage either for fragrance or cooking?)

Trying jalapenos and a sweet pepper, chives,  basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, and since the zuchinni took over last year he has his own pot. Already have 8 small zucs forming.

What part of the country are you in that you already have 8' tomato plants that are producing? Start from seed indoors if in cooler climate? :Jealous:

We have a ~12'x 3' raised planting bed that I put in last year.  this year we have 3 types of regular tomatoes, a san marzano (new this year), and a couple cherry tomatoes, plus this past week we've gained a few more that sprouted from seeds left last year (yeah neglecting your garden and let tomatoes rot to the point that they seed.) Sage wintered over ok as did the mint, both started going crazy this spring so the mint went into a pot on the deck and the sage got a massive haircut (anyone know the proper technique to drying sage either for fragrance or cooking?)

Trying jalapenos and a sweet pepper, chives,  basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, and since the zuchinni took over last year he has his own pot. Already have 8 small zucs forming.
I'm in the Mojave Desert. My season will end in July with 115 degree heat waves. Some years I cut them way back and get a fall harvest, but the hassle of keeping them alive in the heat of summer is not really worth it. I started tomatoes in December. Put them out in February. 

Poke_4_Life said:
Holy hell that's a lot.  Do you do a lot of canning?  Sell at the Farmer's market?  How much time a week do you spend working on that garden?  That's 34 50 foot rows of crops, plus your fruit trees.  
We supply our extended family. The garden is a nice summer chore for the kids, plus they eat everything that is in it. A sly way to get them to eat healthy. We put in roughly 10 hours a week once everything is planted.

We supply our extended family. The garden is a nice summer chore for the kids, plus they eat everything that is in it. A sly way to get them to eat healthy. We put in roughly 10 hours a week once everything is planted.
We had a garden like that when I was a kid.  Hated picking green beans.  

Why don't you do any melon?  My dad does a lot of melon, love me some fresh cantaloupe or watermelon in the summertime.

We had a garden like that when I was a kid.  Hated picking green beans.  

Why don't you do any melon?  My dad does a lot of melon, love me some fresh cantaloupe or watermelon in the summertime.
Used to do melons, but had a few years of blight. Stopped when we couldn't fix it.

are you a farmer, guy?
I’m a business exec but we have the land so we put it to use. It’s a lot of work either way. Thinking of growing hay on half next year for my BIL so I only have to work half the soil thereafter for at least a few years. Could also rent out all the tillable but I already have the equipment and then you lose touch with your land a bit. 

How are the gardens coming along?

I'm getting alot of cukes but they are oddly fat and full of seeds. This is a variety that I have planted many times before, never had this happen 

Picking some hot and sweet wax peppers. The hot ones are pretty damn hot

Alot of zucchini

Have a few bell peppers and green tomatoes starting

The one cherry tomato plant I put in is HUGE and full of green tomatoes

Users who are viewing this thread