What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fred Wilson and Alexa and Google Home Recording (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Some of you know Fred Wilson is a leading voice in Tech Investment. He's hugely influential. 

He's ditching Alexa and Google recording https://avc.com/2018/06/deleting-your-voice-recordings

What do you guys think?

I don't know him but I will always avoid these things. Never really understood how quick people were willing to put them in their homes.

I don't know who Fred Wilson is.  However, these devices are simply one more step down the Orwellian road we've been on since 9/11.  

It's nice  to be able to say "Alexa play Seven Nation Army" while you cook dinner or whatever...but I agree that the invasion of privacy is startling.  And I don't buy for one minute that they don't record and analyze everything said near them.  

Some of you know Fred Wilson is a leading voice in Tech Investment. He's hugely influential. 

He's ditching Alexa and Google recording https://avc.com/2018/06/deleting-your-voice-recordings

What do you guys think?
I follow him on Feedly and he's generally a good read and an interesting window into the VC world.

Maybe I'm a Luddite, but there's no way I'm ever owning one of those.  IMO when the big scandal eventually hits everyone will be horrified what they've recorded.

What do you want for dinner

Idk, what do you want?

Pizza.

No had that yesterday.

Ok, the Mexican place?

No, not in the mood

Ok, what are you in the mood for?

Anything. 

Ok...how about Chinese?

You know i never eat Chinese. 

You had Chinese a few weeks ago at Rich's house? 

Thats because everyone else ordered it and i didn't want to be difficult. 

So you didn't eat the chicken and broccoli?

No. Why are you giving me a hard time???!!!??

I'm not, just thought you liked Chinese cause you ordered it with no hesitation. 

I CAN NEVR HAVE DIFFERENT OPINION????? WHY ARE YOU SO CONTROLLING??? I'M JUST TRYING TO GET DINNER READY FOR US BUT YOU ALWAYS HAVE TO MAKE THINGS SOOOOOOO COMPLICATED.  MY MOM WAS RIGHT. I'M NEVER GOING TO BE GOOD ENOUGH. I'M NEVER GOING TO BE ABLE TO DO ENOUGH!!!!  I DON'T WANT TO EAT NOW. YOU CAN EAT THE DAMN LEFTOVER STEAK FROM LAST NIGHT!!!!! :walksaway:

There's leftover steak??? Awesome!!!  Alexa play 80s hits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically feeding off the laziness of the American public to let them sign off of whatever privacy they once had. 

My wife bought one of these damn things a year ago.  Been trying to convince her to get rid of it ever since.  She refuses to admit that buying it was a mistake.   Brutally painful.

I have a google device in my home. It’s great for getting the weather and other things when in a rush in the morning.

I’ll let you guys know when something detrimental happens to me because of it. So far I’m not buying the paranoia. 

What do you guys think?
I think you should have made it a hyperlink

I have a google device in my home. It’s great for getting the weather and other things when in a rush in the morning.

I’ll let you guys know when something detrimental happens to me because of it. So far I’m not buying the paranoia. 
I’ve got Amazon ones. I don’t understand the difference between typing in a search/purchasing something online or asking the devices to do something with your voice. Do people not notice that every Ad we get online is based on our previous actions. I don’t see anything insidious. It’s just a new paranoia as you said without realizing everything is already tracked.

I’ve got Amazon ones. I don’t understand the difference between typing in a search/purchasing something online or asking the devices to do something with your voice. Do people not notice that every Ad we get online is based on our previous actions. I don’t see anything insidious. It’s just a new paranoia as you said without realizing everything is already tracked.
I think the concern is that these devices actively record even when you’re not using them.

Y2K denier! 

I think the concern is that these devices actively record even when you’re not using them.
Oh I fully expect that they are using it to record key words I might say to target ads to me or whatever or listen to what I watch on tv. I just don’t care and don’t see why I need to at this point. 

I know. I just don’t believe some of the stories out there like the guy called ########. That story was confirming the exact same thing we know about cookies and Internet activity tracking just by voice. One of my Alexa’s is the cube/TV, I hope it isn’t recording all the TV shows and music my wife plays (her office/TV room). 

I think the big concern is if there will be a way to use your private conversations, jokes, ideas, and anything else against you down the line.

For example, if I wanted to become a Justice of the Supreme Court... could they go back and share my “How many babies does it take to paint a garage?”, joke?

We have several and I’ve warmed up to them. To be honest, they’re pretty limited. Other than playing music they suck. You can’t even give two commands at once like “ Alexa, play Bob Dylan song, volume 4.” You have to give two completely separate commands, both times having to say “Alexa!”. 

I think the big concern is if there will be a way to use your private conversations, jokes, ideas, and anything else against you down the line.

For example, if I wanted to become a Justice of the Supreme Court... could they go back and share my “How many babies does it take to paint a garage?”, joke?

We have several and I’ve warmed up to them. To be honest, they’re pretty limited. Other than playing music they suck. You can’t even give two commands at once like “ Alexa, play Bob Dylan song, volume 4.” You have to give two completely separate commands, both times having to say “Alexa!”. 
I use mine just for music and I control it through the phone or pc.   I gave up trying to voice command that thing awhile ago.   I felt like I was trying to communicate with a 4 year old with a hearing problem.   

I’ll never understand this sentiment.

If someone wants to analyze me yelling at my kids when they’re being annoying, or me asking my wife if she wants another glass of wine or what time the plumber is coming, have at it.  Really nothing that exciting going on here.

CIA: OMG OTIS IS TAKING HIS MIDDLE DAUGHTER TO SWIM PRACTICE, THEN THEY’RE ALL GOING TO COZYMEL’S FOR NACHOS!!!11Juan

This is it exactly. While I am all for data privacy, stories like this seem to make what actually happens much more nefarious. This is simply all about personalization and improving it, manually and via algorithms/machine learning.

There is zero difference between storing either transcripts or recordings you make while using Echo or the Amazon site, and any other company in the digital age wanting to either improve the user experience or sell you something based on data of your usage they have either harvested or paid for. This is about commerce and UI, not invasion of privacy.

Even the fear of Alexa listening in all the time are blown out of proportion -- when inactive, Echos are only listening for their wake words, which activates the BUS for the overall device -- from there, can imagine the Echos store utterances to both improve personalization, and know how to improve voice recognition overall.

Amazon employees aren't poring over every transcript and utterance -- but I bet (just like articles state) they take random samplings of transcripts and recordings where Alex has gotten a request wrong to improve the overall voice recognition algorithms and retrain ML models.

Could something go awry and result in employees using that data for more evil purposes than improving user experience? Sure.

But logically, if a more pervasive misuse of that data were to become known, or widespread breaches of Echo/Amazon customer data and its use came to light, there would likely be a huge migration of customers away from Amazon -- which seems way too risky for a company with a 957B market cap predicated on long term customer value and corporate growth.

Again, not saying it couldn't happen, just saying that these fears are likely overblown and no different than what any company does these days to get you to remain a customer and/or serve you with experiences that lead you to keep buying/using their services.

Stompin' Tom Connors said:
This is it exactly. While I am all for data privacy, stories like this seem to make what actually happens much more nefarious. This is simply all about personalization and improving it, manually and via algorithms/machine learning.

There is zero difference between storing either transcripts or recordings you make while using Echo or the Amazon site, and any other company in the digital age wanting to either improve the user experience or sell you something based on data of your usage they have either harvested or paid for. This is about commerce and UI, not invasion of privacy.

Even the fear of Alexa listening in all the time are blown out of proportion -- when inactive, Echos are only listening for their wake words, which activates the BUS for the overall device -- from there, can imagine the Echos store utterances to both improve personalization, and know how to improve voice recognition overall.

Amazon employees aren't poring over every transcript and utterance -- but I bet (just like articles state) they take random samplings of transcripts and recordings where Alex has gotten a request wrong to improve the overall voice recognition algorithms and retrain ML models.

Could something go awry and result in employees using that data for more evil purposes than improving user experience? Sure.

But logically, if a more pervasive misuse of that data were to become known, or widespread breaches of Echo/Amazon customer data and its use came to light, there would likely be a huge migration of customers away from Amazon -- which seems way too risky for a company with a 957B market cap predicated on long term customer value and corporate growth.

Again, not saying it couldn't happen, just saying that these fears are likely overblown and no different than what any company does these days to get you to remain a customer and/or serve you with experiences that lead you to keep buying/using their services.
It’s news today. It’s all sensationalized to get more clicks. Seems like 75% of these type of articles are just that and when you actually read it instead of the headline you wonder what’s the big deal. Unfortunately, most people don’t do that so you get the myths. Remember that one where Alexa played something inappropriate for kids? No idea how that actually happened or if it was a mistake, but don’t you think if that’s the case that people would want Amazon to review it so it doesn’t happen again? People want it both ways, especially when the articles are headline only and not substance. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ll also never understand why people get so annoyed at seeing ads for things they are actually interested in. 

What do you guys think?
I think if he is also ditching smart phones altogether...... good for him if he doesn't think the convenience is worth the risk. If he's carrying around a listening device in his pocket and is 100% sure that it's not listening(and possibly recording for all he knows) then I call BS. Seems to me there is a lot of very selective outrage/fear of these technologies. 

I get my media through Amazon Fire Sticks.  Those damn things have voice input on the remote... which I don't like, but I'm not going to pay for cable.

ATTENTION; CODE RED: OTIS BOUGHT THE WRONG SIZE DRILL BIT AND HE’S HEADED BACK TO HOME DEPOT TO EXCHANGE IT FOR THE CORRECT SIZE. 

ATTENTION; CODE RED: OTIS BOUGHT THE WRONG SIZE DRILL BIT AND HE’S HEADED BACK TO HOME DEPOT TO EXCHANGE IT FOR THE CORRECT SIZE. 
But when you go apply for that construction job in 5 years, they’re gonna know that you don’t know something as simple as getting the correct drill bit size and won’t hire you. How can you have this abomination in your home?

So now ideas are being floated that we can train Alexa to identify mental illness within a household and intervene.  Selling the idea as a way to help prevent mass shootings. 

:tinfoilhat:

Users who are viewing this thread