What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is your phone listening to you? (1 Viewer)

Is your phone listening to you in real life conversations then serving ads back to you?

• For sure listening

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • Probably listening

Votes: 48 38.4%
  • On the fence

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • Probably not listening

Votes: 14 11.2%
  • For sure not listening

Votes: 9 7.2%

• Total voters
After I bought my new iPhone (X) the setup procedure had me repeat "Hey Siri", which when said by me activates Siri on my phone.  So the phone has to be constantly listening to everything around it in order to engage when I say "Hey Siri".  Since I know it's listening, it's not crazy to think that it's also transmitting data back to Apple or other companies about what it's listening to, and that Apple and/or those companies are using that data in some way.

I've never used or even enabled the "hey Siri" automatic listener feature. I have noticed on a few occasions, though, that some fairly obscure product or company will show up in Facebook ads after only having mentioned them in a face to face conversation with no phones in use at the time. So I vote "For sure listening." :ph34r:  

Went with probably listening. It's a disturbing phenomenon, and I think we've ceded our privacy to corporations and government at an alarming rate. It began in the seventies under Rehnquist.  

Nothing surprises me anymore. I assume Google is reporting just about everything to the government and anyone else that will pay $ to gather the intel. 

and let's be clear - this is listening to your conversations... to say nothing of tracking what you are looking at where you are going on the internet. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a couple weeks ago, I was just chilling home alone, rapping some Kanye lyrics to his song Good Morning as I was making lunch. There's a line that goes "I mean, damn, did you even see the test/You got D's motherf#####, D's, Rosie Perez".

Now, to this point in my life I have no idea who Rosie Perez is. A few minutes later, I pull my phone out of my pocket as I'm eating lunch, go to google something that started with an R, and sure enough the first search result google gives me is Rosie Perez.

Just a couple weeks ago, I was just chilling home alone, rapping some Kanye lyrics to his song Good Morning as I was making lunch. There's a line that goes "I mean, damn, did you even see the test/You got D's motherf#####, D's, Rosie Perez".

Now, to this point in my life I have no idea who Rosie Perez is. A few minutes later, I pull my phone out of my pocket as I'm eating lunch, go to google something that started with an R, and sure enough the first search result google gives me is Rosie Perez.
Wow. 

I went with yes as well. I am astounded by the number of people inviting Amazon and google spying devices into their living rooms. As if cel phones aren’t bad enough.

I work with a lot of Puerto Ricans.

I'll be playing music off my phone, and I'll get ads on Pandora in Spanish, all the time. I'm assuming my phone is just listening to them tell and banter very loudly in Spanish, and assume I'm a heeby myself.

For the longest time - I had all my tracking /assistant /location turned off on my phone.  The last phone i got I just said f-it and went all in

The poll needs an "I don't really care" option.  All this outrage about privacy, but no one can ever tell me how it really affects you negatively to warrant such outrage.  I mean, if I'm going to have to see ads, they might as well be for stuff I'm interested in, right?  Some may call this viewpoint naive, but I think there's a lot of unnecessary paranoia in regards to "privacy" in this context.  

The poll needs an "I don't really care" option.  All this outrage about privacy, but no one can ever tell me how it really affects you negatively to warrant such outrage.  I mean, if I'm going to have to see ads, they might as well be for stuff I'm interested in, right?  Some may call this viewpoint naive, but I think there's a lot of unnecessary paranoia in regards to "privacy" in this context.  
But when the government wants your data, it becomes more significant because of what I think are the reduced privacy protections with respect to government searches of electronic data regarding corporations versus letters and other things. In other words, there's a distinction about what the government has access to under the Fourth Amendment, which explicitly states the right to be secure in your house and your papers. That line was abridged when it came to electronic communications, which is what worries most people. Also, turning your information over to a third party triggers an essentially warrantless search, which an IP address is, as its resulting searches can link to you to sites you may or may not want the government to know about. I took a Privacy Law Class back in 2008 and I can't imagine it's gotten any better with the NSA and attendant foreign security concerns. 

From Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stored_Communications_Act

Pen register also applies when applied to websites. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pen_register

This.

There's millions and millions of people. If anyone has the time to zero in on my conversations and really cares, then, well, I don't even know. 

I might as well be paranoid about the guy next to me in the supermarket listening to me talk to my wife on the phone as well.

This.

There's millions and millions of people. If anyone has the time to zero in on my conversations and really cares, then, well, I don't even know. 

I might as well be paranoid about the guy next to me in the supermarket listening to me talk to my wife on the phone as well.
Lots of civilians work in government. There's reason to be worried about political attacks against oneself.  

It's the scope and size of government that worries people more than corporations. And overhearing conversations certainly falls within Fourth Amendment jurisprudence as admissible but there are certain things we'd like to keep private, notably health or medical issues.  

Targeted ads are one thing, but what I think is more concerning is other info and news that is now going to be targeted at people based on their interests (even more than it is now the more and more we use all this technology).   It's hard enough as it is to weed through the BS to find something that resembles actual information, we don't need to help that along any further.  

We just saw an election be influenced by this type of stuff.  I was just listening to a podcast and they mentioned that it was a rare example of the amount of campaign $ not having an effect since Hillary outspent trump, but the usage of Facebook and other media had a big role in the election.  THAT is what worries me more as we give up more and more of our info to all these sites and companies and people seem to not blink an eye about it.  

Oh, and you won't be so flippant about the robots having your info when Skynet gets ahold of it.  ;)

But when the government wants your data, it becomes more significant because of what I think are the reduced privacy protections with respect to government searches of electronic data regarding corporations versus letters and other things. In other words, there's a distinction about what the government has access to under the Fourth Amendment, which explicitly states the right to be secure in your house and your papers. That line was abridged when it came to electronic communications, which is what worries most people. Also, turning your information over to a third party triggers an essentially warrantless search, which an IP address is, as its resulting searches can link to you to sites you may or may not want the government to know about. I took a Privacy Law Class back in 2008 and I can't imagine it's gotten any better with the NSA and attendant foreign security concerns. 

From Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stored_Communications_Act

Pen register also applies when applied to websites. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pen_register
Can you be more specific with examples of how this could be bad?  What is the government going to do with my conversations with my wife about what we should pick up for dinner tonight, or a phone call with my buddy where we are planning our next trip to Vegas, etc.  What is the government doing with this info that should make me be outraged about all this?  

This.

AI has nothing but time and resources to send anything that triggers to people who do care.

This is exactly how people will be singled out and eliminated when our Republic falls.

Can you be more specific with examples of how this could be bad?  What is the government going to do with my conversations with my wife about what we should pick up for dinner tonight, or a phone call with my buddy where we are planning our next trip to Vegas, etc.  What is the government doing with this info that should make me be outraged about all this?  
I think there are business and medical histories that you don't really want out there. No, there's nothing about discussing dinner with your wife that is significant, but there is stuff out there that will be regulated and that people choose to keep private. Also, any civilians working in government probably don't want their opinions monitored.  

"In many ways, the NSA situation that’s unfolding in front of our eyes is raising a question that is critical to the construction of our society. These issues cannot be washed away by declaring personal innocence. A surveillance state will produce more suspect individuals. What’s at stake has to do with how power is employed, by whom and in what circumstances. It’s about questioning whether we still believe in checks and balances to power. Whether we’re OK with continuing to move toward a system that presumes entire classes and networks of people to be suspect."

Danah Boyd: The problem with the ‘I have nothing to hide’ argument

I think there are business and medical histories that you don't really want out there. No, there's nothing about discussing dinner with your wife that is significant, but there is stuff out there that will be regulated and that people choose to keep private. Also, any civilians working in government probably don't want that monitored.  i
True, if I'm talking with my wife about my upcoming penis enlargement surgery, this is something I dont really want out there. But at the same time, I really wonder what exactly the government could do with the info that I want to have my penis enlarged.  Is there some guy in a room somewhere listening to the conversation and giggling? Or is this juicy tidmit about myself simply going into a database somewhere? I think the latter is more likely, but I still have the question, "What can the government do with this info?"  So far all I can find is a bunch of nebulous paranoia, without specific examples or reasons why I should care so much.  

google already knows how disturbed I am through my saved list of searches...  nothing I could say on the phone would top my search history.   So put me down as "probably not, but don't care either way."

True, if I'm talking with my wife about my upcoming penis enlargement surgery, this is something I dont really want out there. But at the same time, I really wonder what exactly the government could do with the info that I want to have my penis enlarged.  Is there some guy in a room somewhere listening to the conversation and giggling? Or is this juicy tidmit about myself simply going into a database somewhere? I think the latter is more likely, but I still have the question, "What can the government do with this info?"  So far all I can find is a bunch of nebulous paranoia, without specific examples or reasons why I should care so much.  
What if you plan to run for city council and said info gets "leaked?" Plus, what AhrnCity is talking about the surveillance state. And Dentist's post above mine references what we call the pen register. It's not paranoia, I don't think, really. It's about the right to the compromise between citizens and government to be private.  

After I bought my new iPhone (X) the setup procedure had me repeat "Hey Siri", which when said by me activates Siri on my phone.  So the phone has to be constantly listening to everything around it in order to engage when I say "Hey Siri".  Since I know it's listening, it's not crazy to think that it's also transmitting data back to Apple or other companies about what it's listening to, and that Apple and/or those companies are using that data in some way.
My Samsung S7 also replies to "ok Google" without any button presses.  It's definitely listening while it appears idle.

My wife and I have this argument too, and this is her stance as well.    I always fall back to the unintended consequences and the unknown factor of what could come of it in a few years.  

Sure, nobody gives 2 poops about where we are going for vacation or to eat (well, except for the people that want to target ads to me about stuff to do while I am there).  And frankly, that might be 99% of the background and conversations.  

Like Rockaction said - what about the one time you are talking about medical history, something more private, make that off color joke with a buddy after a couple of beers, who knows what else?  We are quickly entering a time were people are losing their jobs and getting destroyed in public for their views and things of this nature.   I don't know what will come of this crap, but I do find it odd that so many millions don't seem to care about the consequences at all.  

Outrage is a strong word - how about high level of concern?

What if you plan to run for city council and said info gets "leaked?" Plus, what AhrnCity is talking about the surveillance state. And Dentist's post above mine references what we call the pen register. It's not paranoia, I don't think, really. It's about the right to the compromise between citizens and government to be private.  
Well the average Joe isn't running for City Council.  I should've added that caveat because if you're in the public eye you've gotta be careful what you say regardless because a papparazzi might be hiding in a bush, and they can do bad things with the wrong info.  The government or Facebook?  I'm still unconvinced they could do any real harn to the average **** or jane.   

Well the average Joe isn't running for City Council.  I should've added that caveat because if you're in the public eye you've gotta be careful what you say regardless because a papparazzi might be hiding in a bush, and they can do bad things with the wrong info.  The government or Facebook?  I'm still unconvinced they could do any real harn to the average **** or jane.   
Okay. I guess we won't see eye to eye. That's fine. But you should read about administrative and district attorney abuses and the ham sandwich theory about felonies.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/when-everything-is-a-crime/2015/04/08/1929ab88-dd43-11e4-be40-566e2653afe5_story.html?utm_term=.50bdb083db45

My wife and I have this argument too, and this is her stance as well.    I always fall back to the unintended consequences and the unknown factor of what could come of it in a few years.  

Sure, nobody gives 2 poops about where we are going for vacation or to eat (well, except for the people that want to target ads to me about stuff to do while I am there).  And frankly, that might be 99% of the background and conversations.  

Like Rockaction said - what about the one time you are talking about medical history, something more private, make that off color joke with a buddy after a couple of beers, who knows what else?  We are quickly entering a time were people are losing their jobs and getting destroyed in public for their views and things of this nature.   I don't know what will come of this crap, but I do find it odd that so many millions don't seem to care about the consequences at all. 

Outrage is a strong word - how about high level of concern?
In regards to the bolded, I believe people are losing their jobs because of what they post publicly on social media, not because of the government or apps listening in on their phones, which is what we're talking about here.  Correct me if I'm wrong here, but that's a very big difference.   

If private phone calls are being listened to and documented to be used at a later date to destroy a person's life, then I'll be concerned.  And I really don't think we're headed down that extreme a path.

@AhrnCityPahnder

You should really check the link by George Will and its attendant subjects. Might be a good read. Glenn Reynolds is a law professor at University of Tennessee. These guys are all conservatives, and still think law-and-order constructs have gone a bit batty. If you'll notice, Will throws an aside about prosecutorial immunity, something, Justice Alex Kozinski in the Ninth Circuit also did recently.  

Thanks.  Imagine if the Political Forum knew how to use these phrases.   :thumbup:

:hifive:
:hifive:  Right back atcha. I partake in the political forum, and while things can get contentious, I bet those of us on the opposite side of issues would go to bat for one another gladly. I think we all care; we just don't always do it right.  

In regards to the bolded, I believe people are losing their jobs because of what they post publicly on social media, not because of the government or apps listening in on their phones, which is what we're talking about here.  Correct me if I'm wrong here, but that's a very big difference.   

If private phone calls are being listened to and documented to be used at a later date to destroy a person's life, then I'll be concerned.  And I really don't think we're headed down that extreme a path.
That's a good point about the public posts. 

I am just more untrusting of what will come down the road.  These types of things are bad for the companies, so I could see a world where they are also looking at this stuff beforehand to calculate the odds of something happening and basing employment decisions on that.  They already look at FB and other stuff in the hiring process.  Could you see companies obtaining info on applicants or employs and basing decisions on hiring and promoting based on that?  Ie certain words being searched online or used in coversation, health issues that might cuase a problem, issues at home that might hinder work, etc...

That is just one thing.  Part of my problem is that I am untrusting of what they would use the info down the road for, but not smart enough to think of how it could be used. ;)

@AhrnCityPahnder

You should really check the link by George Will and its attendant subjects. Might be a good read. Glenn Reynolds is a law professor at University of Tennessee. These guys are all conservatives, and still think law-and-order constructs have gone a bit batty. If you'll notice, Will throws an aside about prosecutorial immunity, something, Justice Alex Kozinski in the Ninth Circuit also did recently.  
Will has his faults, but at least I believe he has put thought and introspection into most of the positions I've heard/read him defend.   Thats a lot more than I can say for the current crop of "THE [Pubs/Dems] ARE BAD SO ____ MUST BE TRUE" dim bulbs that are all over the media.  

I'll check the link.  

Also, I think it's a bit narrow sighted to think of things like this as "well, I am not doing anything, so who cares".     Could it effect other people - a Mexican family that probably don't want ICE knocking, a trans person, somebody not out of the closet, a person talking about a joint in a state where it's not legal, somebody embarrassed about a disorder they have, etc..  

brohans if my phone is listening to me then holy crap i feel sorry for my phone i dont even like listening to myself take that to the bank bromigos 

Users who are viewing this thread