What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ian Thomas - Tight End (1 Viewer)

Interseptopus

Footballguy
I searched and did not see a thread on this guy. Olsen is 33 years old coming off of a pretty major injury that was aggravated in his return to action last season. He signed a 2 year extension this offseason, which is an encouraging sign toward good health for Olsen owners, especially since it's not real favorable for cutting him until after the 2019 season. Thomas appears to be the next in line should Olsen get hurt, or when he eventually is no longer playing football for the Panthers. 

Thomas' situation seems real good on paper- super athletic TE, can "do everything," needs time to polish his game, in an offense that feeds their TE consistently. 

Thomas worth a dynasty stash? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, absolutely! I have him pegged as someone I’m trying to figure out how to get him on my roster. I just don’t have the room unless I trade one of my younger assets but I’m a contender so I don’t know how I will pull it off. I have Kelce, Evans, Walker, Seals, Eifert and Fleener. In a Premium TE league I plan to draft Gesicki or Burton but Ian has been on my radar.

Tex

Highly athletic TE. Was starting to see a spike in rookie ADP toward the last of my drafts. Am curious to see where the value rise cuts off. For all of Cam’s faults he hasn’t struggled with making Olsen a top TE. Good spot for him to sit and learn for a year or two.

BigTex said:
Yes, absolutely! I have him pegged as someone I’m trying to figure out how to get him on my roster. I just don’t have the room unless I trade one of my younger assets but I’m a contender so I don’t know how I will pull it off. I have Kelce, Evans, Walker, Seals, Eifert and Fleener. In a Premium TE league I plan to draft Gesicki or Burton but Ian has been on my radar.

Tex
I traded Seals during the draft with the intention of grabbing Thomas. Probably a mistake but I just wanted to make my orphaned roster more my own rather than continue with someone else's view. I ended up with 7 rookie picks in 3 rounds. Mission accomplished. 

He's got 28 career receptions at Indiana, so it's hard to get too excited over his resume. This year's TE class is underwhelming to say the least. Thomas could very well emerge as the best one out of this class in 4-5 years. Or he could just be another athletic TE that doesn't make the transition... there are plenty of those. 

I have a feeling Olsen is going to regress more than most people think, mostly due to his foot injury, and we might see Thomas sooner than we expected. That's what sealed the deal for me taking him. 

Walker owner who made Thomas my last cut before week 1 right here  :wall:
Traded him as a throw in with Alex Collins for a 1, 2, 3 round pick 

Half regretting it but half not. I liked him when I took him, but I like the picks better yet. He's obviously not equal to Olsen. Opportunity is always a good thing, and better to see what your stashes can do right away than wait and wonder while they take up a roster space that may or may not be deserved. 

You did? What other injuries can you predict for us?
Someone older and coming off an injury is more likely to get injured again than a younger guy. I picked up Thomas almost by default.  Had an extra roster spot a couple weeks ago and saw him make some big plays in preseason, as I mentioned in here on the 18th. Cam likes the TE. There ya go. 

So....that was a fun week of picking this guy up just in time for his 3 points and Cam going on IR!

There's no glimmer of hope here with the backup QB, right?

I am SO screwed at TE it's embarrassing.

Does it? Have him right now and the WW is pretty slim. Vance MacDonald but that's hit or miss.

Does it? Have him right now and the WW is pretty slim. Vance MacDonald but that's hit or miss.
If Vance was available I'd be starting him over Thomas without a second thought.

Now I'm not saying I think he has an amazing game or anything, he's certainly up and down, but I'd rather have the chance of a big game in a shootout than be counting on a backup QB I've never seen play in Championship week.

Just my .02

Good luck this week whatever you choose, fellow Eagles fan!

If Vance was available I'd be starting him over Thomas without a second thought.

Now I'm not saying I think he has an amazing game or anything, he's certainly up and down, but I'd rather have the chance of a big game in a shootout than be counting on a backup QB I've never seen play in Championship week.

Just my .02

Good luck this week whatever you choose, fellow Eagles fan!
Picked up Vance. Got him starting for now. 

This guy caught my eye late last year in a game I saw and I stumbled upon him recently so I looked him up and he's interesting.  He was a rookie 4th round draft pick last year and was barely used until Greg Olsen got injured and that is when he flashed.  

Over the first eleven games:

• 11 receptions
  • 87 yards
  • 0 TDs average
Over those first 11 games he had an average of 1 reception per game for 7.9 yards without any scores.

Over the last five games:

• 25 receptions
  • 246 yards
  • 2 TDs
Over the final five games he averaged 5 receptions per game for 49.2 yards with .4 TDs.

Olsen is back healthy Injuries: Greg Olsen (foot) 'cleared for everything' and he does not plan on retiring as some reports indicated.  He just got full clearance to fully participate but he is 33 years old and those early retirement rumors floated as Olsen pursued high profile work in his time off.

http://www.espn.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/31791/panthers-greg-olsen-planning-a-return-to-elite-level-not-retirement

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- A large group of Charlotte Mecklenburg County teachers erupted into screams late Tuesday afternoon when Greg Olsen emerged from the opposite end of the locker room at Bank of America Stadium.

"That was like 'The Bachelor' reveal," the Carolina Panthers tight end said as he warmed up the crowd before owner David Tepper announced a $120,000 gift to Classroom Central.

Yes, Olsen has a way with words. And he can be downright charming.

That's why the three-time Pro Bowl selection spent Super Bowl Sunday as a guest analyst for ESPN's pregame show, why he was among the candidates last year to be an analyst on Monday Night Football and why he has been a guest analyst on other networks.

But Olsen, who was perfect for this event as the son of two teachers, also is one heckuva football player, and he still has a few on-field things to accomplish before he retires to the broadcast booth.

Olsen said he won't close the door on opportunities outside of football, adding: "Right now, my mindset is on doing everything to have a better season this year, personally and as a team.
I don't think Olsen is going anywhere this season but he is four years older than Gronk, he's had high profile analyst work and he's good at it and has been under consideration for Monday Night broadcast and he has missed 7 games over the past two seasons so it is a matter of time before Ian Thomas gets his shot.  Also, last year he was used the first three games so they gave the rookie a shot but Greg took over.  Now he's shown what he can do and I think he will get more work and should do more if/when he's called upon.

Good long term hold IMHO.

I’m really high on Thomas. I watch the Panthers play every week. He looked really good after Olsen went down and his production was impressive given that he was a raw rookie. All the talk on him out of camp last preseason was positive and it manifested on the field. Even before Olsen got hurt again he didn’t look that good. I imagine Thomas’s opportunities may be somewhat limited for the short term (though he’ll get enough targets to flash) so there’s a good buy low window open right now 

Panthers TE Ian Thomas (leg) could be ready for training camp.

Thomas has been sidelined for most of the offseason. His Week 1 status isn't in doubt, but he's looking legitimately questionable for camp. Thomas held his own in seven rookie-year starts and is locked in as Greg Olsen's handcuff.

SOURCE: Joe Person on Twitter

Jun 15, 2019, 1:23 PM ET

Evan Silva‏Verified account @evansilva

#Panthers 2nd-yr TE Ian Thomas is screaming Dynasty buy with underrated 2019 potential in TE premium leagues:

* No. 6 among NFL TEs in yards last Weeks 13-17

* 91st-percentile SPARQ athlete

* Greg Olsen likely in last season; 3 foot fractures + torn plantar fascia last 2 yrs

6:28 PM - 14 Jul 2019

Evan Silva‏Verified account @evansilva

#Panthers 2nd-yr TE Ian Thomas is screaming Dynasty buy with underrated 2019 potential in TE premium leagues:

* No. 6 among NFL TEs in yards last Weeks 13-17

* 91st-percentile SPARQ athlete

* Greg Olsen likely in last season; 3 foot fractures + torn plantar fascia last 2 yrs

6:28 PM - 14 Jul 2019
LOL, thank god Evan Silva is around to point us in the direction of obvious dynasty buys. Seriously though, I like Thomas a lot. 

Ian Thomas (ribs) remains sidelined at Panthers practice.

He injured his ribs in Thursday night's preseason opener against Chicago. Thomas was targeted twice in that game, catching one ball for 16 yards. The former Indiana Hoosier quietly finished second among rookie tight ends in catches (36) and fourth in yards (333) during his debut 2018 campaign, though most of those stats were compiled while Greg Olsen was hurt.

SOURCE: Joe Person

Aug 12, 2019, 9:42 AM ET

Ian Thomas caught 5-of-10 targets for 57 yards and one touchdown in the Panthers' Week 14 loss to the Falcons.

There was no "committee" approach at tight end for Carolina with Greg Olsen (concussion) out despite interim coach Perry Fewell's mid-week comments. Thomas only trailed Christian McCaffrey in receiving and was the only Panther to find the end zone. The production for fantasy was excellent -- congrats to you if you used him as a TE2 streamer -- but he had a brutal drop that led to an interception to spoil his real-life performance. Thomas will be on the TE1/2 radar against the Seahawks if Olsen misses another game.

Greg Olsen (concussion) is out for Week 15 against the Seahawks.

Olsen practiced on a limited basis this week but the Panthers ruled him out when it became evident he wouldn't clear the league's protocol by Sunday. Ian Thomas should soak up most of the tight-end snaps for Carolina and makes for a solid streaming option at fantasy's weakest position. His price rose some on FanDuel (he's up to $5,300 after being priced at the stone minimum in Week 14), but Thomas should still see relatively high ownership against Seattle.
"Greg Olson concussed, fire up your Thomases"

I already started Mark Andrews unfortunately and my Flex spots have D.J. Moore and A.J Brown so now I can't use him.

I think I am plugging him in at flex over some of the fringe WRs like James Washington, Allen Hurns, etc.

Sometimes the tight end position can be so frustrating.  On one team, I drafted OJ Howard, Jordan Reed, and Chris Herndon.  It's a tight end premium league so I used 3 or 4 roster spots most of the season seeking a legit tight end (and for holding onto Howard, Reed and Herndon for way too long).  And then Ian Thomas falls from heaven into my lap for the fantasy playoffs.

Ian Thomas tallied two catches for 23 yards on four targets Sunday in Carolina’s Week 15 loss to the Seahawks.

One of his missed connections was a drop. Thomas played a near-every-down role, seeing the field on 69-of-72 offensive snaps (95.8 percent), though obviously he didn't see many balls in his direction. Sunday didn't go as planned for the second-year tight end, but Thomas is still seeing enough use to warrant streaming consideration while Greg Olsen recovers from his concussion. He'll look to rebound next week in Indianapolis.

Will Grier expected to start.  Grier might feature Thomas since he is the offensive player he has practiced with the most.

Users who are viewing this thread