What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Terrell Owens to Skip HOF Induction Ceremony (2 Viewers)

Good. Always figured he’d be one of worst guys to go into HOF with, would try and make it all about him.

Is he the first to skip out of their own induction (other than those inducted posthumously -- but they had a good excuse).  I don't see him skipping just because he doesn't want to do the public speaking part.  I would love to see the hall just unveil the bust, point to it, say "T.O... That concludes our ceremony, thanks for coming.  Try the veal." 

It would not shock me if Owens made plans to speak someplace else (for money) at the same time and want the HOF to play it on video at the induction ceremony.

1) He should have been a first ballot HoFer

2) This is a brilliant move by him. Everyone is talking about him now and everyone will be talking about him during the ceremony.

1) He should have been a first ballot HoFer

2) This is a brilliant move by him. Everyone is talking about him now and everyone will be talking about him during the ceremony.
A "me-first" guy without a ring so I see no reason to make him a first ballot guy just based upon him coming along at the right time to benefit from the stats explosions due to passing rules.  I do not see the brilliance of him reminding folks of his personality.  Most folks will be speaking of him in negative terms, but even if the opposite were true how is that brilliant, how does it benefit him?  Do you think this somehow makes him more marketable?  To me it is just a footnote on the man.

Please explain what I am missing and be gentle if you can, I am sometimes oblivious to the new world order of social media and whatnot so I sometimes need remedial training.

A "me-first" guy without a ring so I see no reason to make him a first ballot guy just based upon him coming along at the right time to benefit from the stats explosions due to passing rules.  I do not see the brilliance of him reminding folks of his personality.  Most folks will be speaking of him in negative terms, but even if the opposite were true how is that brilliant, how does it benefit him?  Do you think this somehow makes him more marketable?  To me it is just a footnote on the man.

Please explain what I am missing and be gentle if you can, I am sometimes oblivious to the new world order of social media and whatnot so I sometimes need remedial training.
He was, without question, one of the greatest WRs ever to play the game.

He was a clear first ballot HoFer and was denied because people didn't like him. That's a B.S. reason that amounts to nothing more than a school girl grudge.

He was, without question, one of the greatest WRs ever to play the game.

He was a clear first ballot HoFer and was denied because people didn't like him. That's a B.S. reason that amounts to nothing more than a school girl grudge.
While I agree with you, to play devil's advocate, he got dumped by multiple teams, was a me first diva and three ring circus, and never won anything. Five teams were thrilled to see him go, another had a trade reversed (BAL), and yet another cut him before he ever played (SEA). He was universally not liked by many people anywhere and some will say he was a stain to the shield. One of the greats to suit up at receiver on the field, but a walking PR disaster off of it. That all played into him having to wait a couple of years, justified or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I would take Rice, Hutson, Moss, Warfield, over him.  I would be quite comfortable taking Harrison, Allworth and Sharpe over him, not to mention Calvin Johnson, Steve Largent, and Larry Fitzgerald.  Others may differ.  There are total stats in a pass happy era, and then there are guys that lifted their teams to championships.  His teams were not without accomplishment, and I do credit him somewhat for maybe elevating their play.  I also note that he had a good game in his one chance at a championship.  Still no rings and a constant distraction.  That said I don't see the slight in him not being a first ballot guy in an era of ballot backlog.  To some this is a big issue, to me, not so much either way. 

What I was really interested I was your take that him missing what for most would be a seminal event as being a brilliant move.  I fail to see the advantage to him in fame or wealth.  I sincerely allow that I may be missing something and would welcome your perspective.

As a  49er fan, I just don't care.

More drama than a 15 year old girl on social media.  Sheesh..................

You can hardly blame him.  

I mean, he had to wait before being enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.  

I think he was completely justified in choosing to punish the NFL and the world at large by denying himself a weekend of being honored.  Power move.

He seems comfortable about the decision, the reasoning being obvious.

All these emotional and personal hate posts repeatedly validate that decision. 

I like it.

It wouldn't surprise me if Owens decided not to go because of where he would have talked the night of the speeches.  Let's fact it, Owens thinks it should be all about him, but you know Ray Lewis is going last, and since Moss was voted in right away, he would go after Owens as well, and Owens' ego couldn't handle not going last at something like that.  He would likely be in a mood all weekend because of it. By throwing a party for himself about it, he can make it all about him, just as he thinks it should be. 

Having a different opinion is not hate. Christ, I hate that word.
Read the posts again.. personal insults galore.  Hate by any definition.

eta - Both validating for him and his decision, and ironic when he made the decision in reaction to the voters making it personal.

He seems comfortable about the decision, the reasoning being obvious.

All these emotional and personal hate posts repeatedly validate that decision. 

I like it.

You reap what you sow.

Football is the ultimate team sport.  It requires various groups of 11 guys all functioning well as a single unit for the team to be successful.  In that environment, TO was the ultimate me-first guy, caring only about himself and tearing teams apart internally while doing it.

It’s a damned shame, the guy was incredibly good at what he did.  He deserves being in the HoF because despite his me-first-and-only attitude, he was just that good.  But if there is “hate” for him, it’s only because his equally incredibly selfish behavior and actions engendered it.  He begged for it and he got it.

Read the posts again.. personal insults galore.  Hate by any definition.

eta - Both validating for him and his decision, and ironic when he made the decision in reaction to the voters making it personal.
Validating to whom?  Himself?  

What's ironic about it?

Maybe he just can't afford to go.  

Validating to whom?  Himself?  

What's ironic about it?

Maybe he just can't afford to go.  
Of course to himself.

He isn't going because the voters made it personal.  As the world reacts in yet further personal insults, it sure looks like he nailed it.

He seems good with it, weird to watch everyone else be bothered by it.  Ironic.

You reap what you sow.

Football is the ultimate team sport.  It requires various groups of 11 guys all functioning well as a single unit for the team to be successful.  In that environment, TO was the ultimate me-first guy, caring only about himself and tearing teams apart internally while doing it.

It’s a damned shame, the guy was incredibly good at what he did.  He deserves being in the HoF because despite his me-first-and-only attitude, he was just that good.  But if there is “hate” for him, it’s only because his equally incredibly selfish behavior and actions engendered it.  He begged for it and he got it.
Is it weird to have such an emotional reaction to a guy who played football?  Seems weird.

With the NFL only five players can go in during each class of inductees. Owens is without a doubt a Hall of Famer but having had to wait until his third year is hardly a slight.
The HOF has said they will not talk about Owens again after he made his decision and rightly so as he is refusing to attend his induction. Is it possible that Owens was having a hard time finding someone to speak on his behalf?

So at the end of the ceremony will they say "Oh and by the way Terrell Owens was also inducted today..hope you had a nice day and drive safe on the way home" 

Users who are viewing this thread