Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Anarchy99

Terrell Owens to Skip HOF Induction Ceremony

273 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

15 minutes ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

Having a different opinion is not hate. Christ, I hate that word.

Read the posts again.. personal insults galore.  Hate by any definition.

eta - Both validating for him and his decision, and ironic when he made the decision in reaction to the voters making it personal.

Edited by matuski

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe he plans on being in Patriots camp at that time.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, matuski said:

He seems comfortable about the decision, the reasoning being obvious.

All these emotional and personal hate posts repeatedly validate that decision. 

I like it.

 

You reap what you sow.

 

Football is the ultimate team sport.  It requires various groups of 11 guys all functioning well as a single unit for the team to be successful.  In that environment, TO was the ultimate me-first guy, caring only about himself and tearing teams apart internally while doing it.

 

It’s a damned shame, the guy was incredibly good at what he did.  He deserves being in the HoF because despite his me-first-and-only attitude, he was just that good.  But if there is “hate” for him, it’s only because his equally incredibly selfish behavior and actions engendered it.  He begged for it and he got it.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Chaka said:

1) He should have been a first ballot HoFer

With the NFL only five players can go in during each class of inductees. Owens is without a doubt a Hall of Famer but having had to wait until his third year is hardly a slight.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

With the NFL only five players can go in during each class of inductees. Owens is without a doubt a Hall of Famer but having had to wait until his third year is hardly a slight.

Imagine if he had to wait 51 years like Jerry Kramer

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, matuski said:

Read the posts again.. personal insults galore.  Hate by any definition.

eta - Both validating for him and his decision, and ironic when he made the decision in reaction to the voters making it personal.

Validating to whom?  Himself?  

What's ironic about it?

Maybe he just can't afford to go.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, massraider said:

Validating to whom?  Himself?  

What's ironic about it?

Maybe he just can't afford to go.  

 

Of course to himself.

He isn't going because the voters made it personal.  As the world reacts in yet further personal insults, it sure looks like he nailed it.

He seems good with it, weird to watch everyone else be bothered by it.  Ironic.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Bronco Billy said:

 

You reap what you sow.

 

Football is the ultimate team sport.  It requires various groups of 11 guys all functioning well as a single unit for the team to be successful.  In that environment, TO was the ultimate me-first guy, caring only about himself and tearing teams apart internally while doing it.

 

It’s a damned shame, the guy was incredibly good at what he did.  He deserves being in the HoF because despite his me-first-and-only attitude, he was just that good.  But if there is “hate” for him, it’s only because his equally incredibly selfish behavior and actions engendered it.  He begged for it and he got it.

Is it weird to have such an emotional reaction to a guy who played football?  Seems weird.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, matuski said:

Is it weird to have such an emotional reaction to a guy who played football?  Seems weird.

 

 

Don’t you really enjoy watching football?  Does that seem weird to you?  It doesn’t to me.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr. Octopus said:

With the NFL only five players can go in during each class of inductees. Owens is without a doubt a Hall of Famer but having had to wait until his third year is hardly a slight.

The HOF has said they will not talk about Owens again after he made his decision and rightly so as he is refusing to attend his induction. Is it possible that Owens was having a hard time finding someone to speak on his behalf?

So at the end of the ceremony will they say "Oh and by the way Terrell Owens was also inducted today..hope you had a nice day and drive safe on the way home" 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

Having a different opinion is not hate. Christ, I hate that word.

"If I don't like it, I don't like it, that don't mean that I'm hating" - Common

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He has not earned the right to share a stage with a consummate team player like Kramer anyhow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr. Dan said:

Imagine if he had to wait 51 years like Jerry Kramer

:D  I guarantee that he'd have recorded a message somewhere around year 30 to be played when he eventually got in, saying he was not going to spiritually attend as God was throwing a party for him....

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

I know I would take Rice, Hutson, Moss, Warfield, over him.  I would be quite comfortable taking Harrison, Allworth and Sharpe over him, not to mention Calvin Johnson, Steve Largent, and Larry Fitzgerald.  Others may differ.  There are total stats in a pass happy era, and then there are guys that lifted their teams to championships.  His teams were not without accomplishment, and I do credit him somewhat for maybe elevating their play.  I also note that he had a good game in his one chance at a championship.  Still no rings and a constant distraction.  That said I don't see the slight in him not being a first ballot guy in an era of ballot backlog.  To some this is a big issue, to me, not so much either way. 

What I was really interested I was your take that him missing what for most would be a seminal event as being a brilliant move.  I fail to see the advantage to him in fame or wealth.  I sincerely allow that I may be missing something and would welcome your perspective.

Rice is without peer IMO. 

Moss played on just as many teams as Owens did in his career.  Owens played in the same era as Moss, yet Owens had more receptions.  More yards.  Higher yards per game.  Higher receptions per game.  Both finished with 156 total TDs (Owens had 3 rushing).  Both were selected to 6 ProBowls.  Moss was a 1st team All Pro 4 times, Owens was one 5 times.  Also, Moss never won a Superbowl either.     

Alworth, Hutson and Warfield are different eras, so it's pointless to try and compare.

Guys like Calvin Johnson and Sharpe could have been better than Owens, but they didn't have the longevity, IMO.  They are the Terrell Davis' of the WR.  HOF worthy, but don't have the overall numbers to be considered an all-time, all-timer.  

Harrison is a notch below Owens.  More receptions and Pro Bowls.  Less yards, TDs, All Pros.

Largent and Fitzgerald, 1 first team All Pro (neither won anything either).  I mean, if you're going to use a current player, Antonio Brown would be a guy to cite, not Fitz.  Already had 6 Pro Bowls and 4 All Pros.  Plus, he's piling up yards and receptions and is just turning 30.  He probably had 4-5 more good years left and a couple compiler years.  He could hit 1500 receptions and 20,000 yards.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Snotbubbles said:

Rice is without peer IMO. 

Moss played on just as many teams as Owens did in his career.  Owens played in the same era as Moss, yet Owens had more receptions.  More yards.  Higher yards per game.  Higher receptions per game.  Both finished with 156 total TDs (Owens had 3 rushing).  Both were selected to 6 ProBowls.  Moss was a 1st team All Pro 4 times, Owens was one 5 times.  Also, Moss never won a Superbowl either.     

Alworth, Hutson and Warfield are different eras, so it's pointless to try and compare.

Guys like Calvin Johnson and Sharpe could have been better than Owens, but they didn't have the longevity, IMO.  They are the Terrell Davis' of the WR.  HOF worthy, but don't have the overall numbers to be considered an all-time, all-timer.  

Harrison is a notch below Owens.  More receptions and Pro Bowls.  Less yards, TDs, All Pros.

Largent and Fitzgerald, 1 first team All Pro (neither won anything either).  I mean, if you're going to use a current player, Antonio Brown would be a guy to cite, not Fitz.  Already had 6 Pro Bowls and 4 All Pros.  Plus, he's piling up yards and receptions and is just turning 30.  He probably had 4-5 more good years left and a couple compiler years.  He could hit 1500 receptions and 20,000 yards.     

I agree with everything you have written, stats-wise.  Yet having seen all of those players except Hutson I like them better.  They improved their teams and didn't tear them apart, except for maybe Moss and to a lesser extent Warfield who was a bit a of a prima donna himself.  One could also, I suppose, question Bambi's attitude a bit.  Still all different by several degrees from The Media Whore, Mr. I loves me some me.  In a team sport this matters, to me at least.  This is, however, not something where I would assert other's opinions are not valid, not in the least. Those that love Owens have cause, they just look for different things than I do, or give lesser weight to the negatives than I do and concentrate more on numbers than I.  If playing in a team sport is all about individual stats there is no question Owens has those.  If it is about his impact on his team, well I find some negatives there. 

I recognize Owens talent.  I am just not of the school of thought that first ballot is something that is earned and it is a slight not to get it.  Some years there are guys who have been waiting a long time with well earned cases who need to be served.  This year's class, for instance is a very strong class in my estimation. Some of them waited a long time for long overdue recognition.   

As for Antonio Brown I love his game.  I hope he keeps it up.  I hope he doesn't get full of himself.    Even if he does he should be a HOFer if he produces for even a few more years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a theory that after meeting Canton officials he realized the costs involved and THIS is the reason why he won’t attend. Since non of his old teams are likely to be willing to shell out for him. Many suspect that he is having financial issues.

 

Food for thought...

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, Bronco Billy said:

 

Don’t you really enjoy watching football?  Does that seem weird to you?  It doesn’t to me.

I do, and I have managed to never once have an emotional personal reaction one way or the other regarding a player.

Much less a former player.

eta - with the exception of a handful I know personally, not as football players.

etaa - also seems weird that the only thing we aren't talking about here is football.  All personal/emotional Kardashian Housewives crap.

Edited by matuski

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

"Man that dude is one of the best wide receivers we have ever seen!"

"Yea but I can tell from watching him on TV that he is a jackass/dumb/idiot/selfish/bad teammate/me-first-and only attitude/15 year old girl/2 cent brain."

 

Edited by matuski

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One last exception.

I admit Barry Sanders was a near spiritual experience to watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's certainly his prerogative, and his accomplishments and production stand on their own.

 

That said, he's far worse, imo, than Deion and other Me Me Me guys, because while they make it about them they also dont actively harm the team chemistry to the degree of costing them wins. I always felt there were times when TOs ob and off field antics hurt his team's chances to win. I take that into consideration fir the HoF and at the least, in my book  it clearly kept him out on the first go.

Top 3 ever numbers, but some literal losses attributed to him as well. How can that not matter?

As to his skipping the induction, it's fairly indicative of what and what he's about. But his choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, matuski said:

"Man that dude is one of the best wide receivers we have ever seen!"

"Yea but I can tell from watching him on TV that he is a jackass/dumb/idiot/selfish/bad teammate/me-first-and only attitude/15 year old girl/2 cent brain."

 

 

For a guy so derisive of people making judgments, you sure seem to make enough of them yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Bronco Billy said:

 

For a guy so derisive of people making judgments, you sure seem to make enough of them yourself.

The worst I said was it was weird to be emotionally invested in a former football player.

Weird doesn't need to be a judgement one way or the other I suppose... I just can't relate.

Go for it.

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love TO. His biggest problem is he can't stand people that don't put in the effort he does. That's also his right. He won't have many friends but the few he has will be gold. 

He doesn't beat women, do drugs or anything close. He just worked hard and gets more hate for his attitude than anything else. He's confused inside because he knows he hasn't done anything terrible but is perceived as a total jerk by so many. Sad but that's how it is.

 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2018 at 3:46 PM, Ditkaless Wonders said:

I know I would take Rice, Hutson, Moss, Warfield, over him.  I would be quite comfortable taking Harrison, Allworth and Sharpe over him, not to mention Calvin Johnson, Steve Largent, and Larry Fitzgerald.  Others may differ.  There are total stats in a pass happy era, and then there are guys that lifted their teams to championships.  His teams were not without accomplishment, and I do credit him somewhat for maybe elevating their play.  I also note that he had a good game in his one chance at a championship.  Still no rings and a constant distraction.  That said I don't see the slight in him not being a first ballot guy in an era of ballot backlog.  To some this is a big issue, to me, not so much either way. 

What I was really interested I was your take that him missing what for most would be a seminal event as being a brilliant move.  I fail to see the advantage to him in fame or wealth.  I sincerely allow that I may be missing something and would welcome your perspective.

It's hard to think of a more opposite player of TO than Larry Fitzgerald. Has never said anything negative about a teammate and no one has had anything negative to say about him. He gives everything he has to his team year around.  I've seen highlights of Lance Allworth and am convinced he's dominate in any era. He's probably make Antonio Brown look like a 4th WR in today's game.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loved T.O. as a player. Might be the only one, but I never cared about his self-loving antics. I mean, I just don't care. He might have been all me, but he was really entertaining on and off the field. And I also think he made every QB better he player with. I never understood how people who watch the sport for the love of it, make silly assumptions and seem to know more about the person behind the player, than just enjoy what he brings to the game. By no means, I'm not a fan of Beckham Jr. as a "person", but do I enjoy when he's playing- I SURE DO. For me it's the game and Terrell Owens can do what ever he wants with hall of fame ceremony, the respect as a player has been earned and if he does not crusify dogs or something like that, I could not care less.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2018 at 0:03 AM, Bojang0301 said:

Who was he going to thank anyway, himself?

"I would like to thank me some ME".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2018 at 10:16 AM, Da Guru said:

The HOF has said they will not talk about Owens again after he made his decision and rightly so as he is refusing to attend his induction. Is it possible that Owens was having a hard time finding someone to speak on his behalf?

So at the end of the ceremony will they say "Oh and by the way Terrell Owens was also inducted today..hope you had a nice day and drive safe on the way home" 

That's not what they said.  They said they would have no further comment about his decision.  They will of course honor him as they honor any other enshrinee, they aren't some bush league organization like the White House.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hankmoody said:

That's not what they said.  They said they would have no further comment about his decision.  They will of course honor him as they honor any other enshrinee, they aren't some bush league organization like the White House.

You're joking I hope. The HOF has disrespected TO for years like pretentious little babies. He's as first ballot as anyone yet personality clashes make him wait as they bash him personally. Wah wah, get over yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Bankerguy said:

There is a theory that after meeting Canton officials he realized the costs involved and THIS is the reason why he won’t attend. Since non of his old teams are likely to be willing to shell out for him. Many suspect that he is having financial issues.

 

Food for thought...

This is the theory being floated but if he declines it taints the rest of this HOF class and it would hurt future 'quirky' players as candidates because the voters would discuss whether or not they would get the 'TO' treatment if they vote in the next diva WR or whatever.  

Terrell Owens, please gracefully accept the honor being bestowed upon you for the benefit of people who will be hurt if you decline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I understand why so many don't like him. I don't dislike him though, I just find him to be weird. It's possible that he's always pumping himself up because he's insecure.

IMO his performance as an NFL WR cannot be denied and his Superbowl with the Eagles inspiring.

A legit HOF'r. He should attend the ceremony. He only gets one chance to attend his own induction, but can complain/pout/whine for the rest of his life if he wants.

Edited by brun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bracie Smathers said:

This is the theory being floated but if he declines it taints the rest of this HOF class and it would hurt future 'quirky' players as candidates because the voters would discuss whether or not they would get the 'TO' treatment if they vote in the next diva WR or whatever.  

Terrell Owens, please gracefully accept the honor being bestowed upon you for the benefit of people who will be hurt if you decline.

I completely understand that theory but the people you should implore to be better are the voting committee and executives at the HoF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018-06-08 at 7:31 AM, matuski said:

Of course to himself.

He isn't going because the voters made it personal.  As the world reacts in yet further personal insults, it sure looks like he nailed it.

He seems good with it, weird to watch everyone else be bothered by it.  Ironic.

Guys like him get away with their behaviour cause guys like you fall for it.

He is a drama queen, and once he milks the drama of not going he’ll “change his mind” due to the “ outpouring of love from his fans.” The best thing about this it’s the last time anyone has to watch his old, tired act play out.

if there was ever a slight it’s Charles Haley, one of the greatest players ever and he had a handful of rings. But he didn’t like talking to reporters so they black balled hm for years. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Slider said:

You're joking I hope. The HOF has disrespected TO for years like pretentious little babies. He's as first ballot as anyone yet personality clashes make him wait as they bash him personally. Wah wah, get over yourself.

I’m just not seeing how the Hall it Fame disrespected him. I mean they are inducting him after all. It took many many players multiple years to finally get in - mostly because there is a backlog. Only five players/coaches/excutives can get in with each class. He wait was relatively short all things considered. He’s still a young man and will now be a HoFer for a long long time.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It should be mandatory to show up to get the jacket. Being inducted into the HOF isn't a right, it's a priveledge and an honor, and he should treat it as such or forego being a member.

No show, no jacket (unless a medical issue prevents them from being there). That simple.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Wingnut said:

It should be mandatory to show up to get the jacket. Being inducted into the HOF isn't a right, it's a priveledge and an honor, and he should treat it as such or forego being a member.

No show, no jacket (unless a medical issue prevents them from being there). That simple.

 

I think he’s doing everyone a favor.  Let it go.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wingnut said:

It should be mandatory to show up to get the jacket. Being inducted into the HOF isn't a right, it's a priveledge and an honor, and he should treat it as such or forego being a member.

No show, no jacket (unless a medical issue prevents them from being there). That simple.

No jacket until you kiss the ring?

Interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bronco Billy said:

 

I think he’s doing everyone a favor.  Let it go.  

Seriously, we heard enough from this clown over his career. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 6/9/2018 at 11:38 AM, Slider said:

You're joking I hope. The HOF has disrespected TO for years like pretentious little babies. He's as first ballot as anyone yet personality clashes make him wait as they bash him personally. Wah wah, get over yourself.

That was the voters, not the organization itself.  You do realize that all of the voters are media members, not people affiliated with the HOF?

Edited by Hankmoody

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.