What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tried this guacamole recipe today (1 Viewer)

IMAX 3D

Footballguy
3 avacados

pinch of salt

2 tbsp cumin

1 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp onion powder

squirt of lime juice

1 tsp yellow mustard

The popularity of tableside guac service and how good it tastes with just fresh ingredients has eliminated things like cumin and garlic powder from my guac.

add to a bowl

a big avo

a few grinds of sea salt or pink salt

juice of a lime

a squeeze of fresh oj

a tablespoon fresh diced red onion

a tablespoon diced serrano, or jalapeno or bell (if you're weak)

three tablespoons diced sweet cherry tomatoes

three tablespoons chopped cilantro

be gentle with it like this guy and leave it chunky

The popularity of tableside guac service and how good it tastes with just fresh ingredients has eliminated things like cumin and garlic powder from my guac.

add to a bowl

a big avo

a few grinds of sea salt or pink salt

juice of a lime

a squeeze of fresh oj

a tablespoon fresh diced red onion

a tablespoon diced serrano, or jalapeno or bell (if you're weak)

three tablespoons diced sweet cherry tomatoes

three tablespoons chopped cilantro

be gentle with it like this guy and leave it chunky
 Now try it with mustard

No way am I putting any mustard in my guacamole. I assume you like the tang so if you want that put a shot of vinegar in there (note: don’t do this) but no way on the mustard. 

No need to overcomplicate things.  

Avocado

Pico De Gallo

Fresh lime

Add a bit of salt if desired

This guy's ingredients are fine, but his ratios are way off.  The avocado should be the star.  Anything else you want to add should accent it.  Way too much stuff in there for a single avocado.
Yup, that's a famous guac and their star is the fire roasted home grown tomatoes so they over do it, I agree. I'd tear that up though. My favorite salsas have chunks of avo, so ratios schmatios. I like onion, tomato and cilantro. If he just did a scoop of his maters instead of 3, it'd be closer to how I make it. 

eta: in a restaurant where food costs rule, I could see that recipe being helpful because avos are the most expensive ingredient.

Last edited by a moderator:
People tend to put too much lime juice and too many tomatoes in their guac. Makes it too runny. 

When I make a big batch of guac with 5 or 6 avocados, I'll typically use at most one lime. Maybe half. About a half cup of onion and tomatoes. Bunch of cilantro, bunch of salt, and a couple diced jalapeños. 

Guac has become a go-to snack for me during the lockdown. I make some at least every other day, usually with just one avocado, but sometimes with 2.

My guac recipe...and really, there is no way to make this better, its perfect.

one ripe avocado, slightly smashed but still a lil chunky
juice from 1-2 lime wedges
generous pinch coarse sea salt
about a TBSP of diced onion
about a TBSP of diced tomato
about a tsp of finely chopped jalapeno
1-2 TBSP chopped cilantro
cayenne pepper to taste (I like mine with a nice kick)

Warning: this stuff is addictive as hell.

Guac has become a go-to snack for me during the lockdown. I make some at least every other day, usually with just one avocado, but sometimes with 2.

My guac recipe...and really, there is no way to make this better, its perfect.

one ripe avocado, slightly smashed but still a lil chunky
juice from 1-2 lime wedges
generous pinch coarse sea salt
about a TBSP of diced onion
about a TBSP of diced tomato
about a tsp of finely chopped jalapeno
1-2 TBSP chopped cilantro
cayenne pepper to taste (I like mine with a nice kick)

Warning: this stuff is addictive as hell.
I just made some for the first time this week.  Fairly close to this but no cilantro (it is terrible).  I also added about a 1/2 teaspoon of Cumin and some garlic.  Turned out good

One hard boiled egg per avocado (on top of normal guac stuff), it is quite good. The yolk blends in and makes it a touch richer, while the whites turn into chunks for a little more texture.

The quick dirty recipe in my house is an avocado with a couple heaping spoonfuls of Sadie's of New Mexico Hot Salsa (most salsas are too chunky, but Sadie's is smooth). 

I just made some for the first time this week.  Fairly close to this but no cilantro (it is terrible).  I also added about a 1/2 teaspoon of Cumin and some garlic.  Turned out good
86ing cilantro is acceptable as some people hate it, but cumin doesn't belong...at least not in mine. Garlic is okay but you have to go kinda light or it can be a a bit sharp IMO.

Bottom line is much like pizza, any guac is usually good guac.

My secret guac tip is grill the ingredients first.

Avo, red onion, garlic, tomato and limes.  

Grill them all quick to get a char/crust, then make the guac as you would regularly.  The grill wakes everything up and adds depth to it.

4 Avocados

4 hard boiled eggs

2 packets of spicy guac seasoning from the store (it is good)

a ton of diced red or white onion (does not matter, all onions are beautiful) 

just enough lemon or lime juice so it does not brown, but you don't want it to taste super citrusy

salt to taste

no tomatoes or cilantro because that stuff is gross

It is a pretty basic recipe, but I think removing gross stuff like tomatoes while accenting good things like onions really makes it better. Won a work guacamole competition with this and it only takes a few minutes to prep. 

Keep it simple. Mash together:

3-4 avocados
Juice from 1/2 lime
Pinch of garlic salt

stir in:

1/4 of a red onion, finely chopped
1 jalapeno, finely chopped
a few sprigs of cilantro

...and you’re done. Delicious.

4 Avocados

4 hard boiled eggs

2 packets of spicy guac seasoning from the store (it is good)

a ton of diced red or white onion (does not matter, all onions are beautiful) 

just enough lemon or lime juice so it does not brown, but you don't want it to taste super citrusy

salt to taste

no tomatoes or cilantro because that stuff is gross

It is a pretty basic recipe, but I think removing gross stuff like tomatoes while accenting good things like onions really makes it better. Won a work guacamole competition with this and it only takes a few minutes to prep. 
There isn't a lot in this recipe I don't disagree with.

i used to go smooth or rustic.  these days more rustic (use a potato masher).

I go a little heavier than most on cilatro and lime.  prefer serranos to jalapenos.

I used to put out an "asian" guac and chips... a little soy, sesame oil, wasabi powder with won ton skins.

i used to go smooth or rustic.  these days more rustic (use a potato masher).

I go a little heavier than most on cilatro and lime.  prefer serranos to jalapenos.

I used to put out an "asian" guac and chips... a little soy, sesame oil, wasabi powder with won ton skins.
I liked this post before I read the "asian" silliness.

Users who are viewing this thread