What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 NHL Offseason Thread: E.Karlsson is a Shark! (2 Viewers)

Aaron Rudnicki

Keep Walking™
Staff member
NHL draft is June 22nd in Dallas.

my mock of the top-10 picks

1. Buffalo Sabres - Rasmus Dahlin, D

2. Carolina Hurricanes - Andrei Svechnikov, RW

3. Montreal Canadiens - Filip Zadina, LW

4. Ottawa Senators - Brady Tkachuk, LW

5. Arizona Coyotes - Evan Bouchard, D

6. Detroit Red Wings - Quinn Hughes, D

7. Vancouver Canucks - Noah Dobson, D

8. Chicago Blackhawks - Oliver Wahlstrom, LW

9. New York Rangers - Jesperi Kotkaniemi, C

10. Edmonton Oilers - Adam Boqvist, D

Last edited by a moderator:
I expect the Habs to do something dumb too. Zero confidence in the man at the helm.

5. Arizona Coyotes - Evan Bouchard, D

My son was on his team this year. Can't say enough good things about him as a person too.  Super teammate. Very happy for him.  We're all hoping he doesn't go somewhere and make the damn team tho. Has great vision on the ice.

One thing to watch is that both Provorov and Werenski are due for extensions 

@charlieo_conn: One aspect of the eventual Provorov extension that I didn't realize until now: there will be an interesting dynamic with Werenski needing a deal on the same timeline. Wonder which team locks their guy up first, and if the second club then uses Deal #1 as a framework.

Anyone looking for a super hockey roadtrip on new years eve can see a triple header at Little Caesars arena:

The second day of the next Great Lakes Invitational is expected to be part of a triple-header of hockey at Little Caesars Arena on Dec. 31, the Free Press has learned. 

The Red Wings haven’t yet announced their schedule for the 2018-2019 season. Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said Friday that he expects the Wings to play their traditional New Year’s Eve game, although the NHL schedule hasn’t yet been finalized. The NHL schedule is expected to be released in a couple weeks. 

Michigan State announced its 2018-2019 schedule on Wednesday and will play in the Great Lakes Invitational on Dec. 30-31. MSU will meet Lake Superior State in the second semifinal game at 4 p.m. on Dec. 30. Michigan Tech will face U-M in the first game at 1 p.m., according to Michigan Tech's 2018-2019 hockey schedule.  

The Great Lakes Invitational is scheduled for Dec. 30-31.The GLI's Dec. 31 game times are slated to be 11:30 for the GLI third-place game, 2:30 for the GLI championship game, according to MSU's hockey schedule.

The Red Wings are expected to play at night, likely a 7:30 p.m. start. 

Michigan may end up playing an outdoor game at Notre Dame, scheduled a few days after the GLI. U-M is scheduled to play Big Ten conference games at Notre Dame on Jan. 4-5. One of those games could be moved to Notre Dame Stadium. 

The NHL has already announced that Chicago Blackhawks will play the Boston Bruins in the 2019 Bridgestone Winter Classic at Notre Dame Stadium on Jan. 1, 2019. Notre Dame and U-M haven’t announced their hockey schedules yet. 

Getzlaf15 said:
Rangers will #### it up. 
I think this will change this year. 

And by think,  I mean hope. And by hope, I mean pray. And i dont really believe in the whole praying thing. 

But seriously, they really need to do everything they can to get Zadina or Whalstrom. Not sure what it will take. I've read good things about the kid rude has them taking. Pronman has him at 4. I just dont think they need a C. They need a scorer

Andrew Hammond's wife chimes in (no, seriously)

@marlee_kat

oh man if you only knew how unsurprising this actually is. horrible just horrible. and the worst part of all of this is how @MelindaCurrey just wanted to keep this private because she’s THAT nice of a person even when a person can be this cruel to her. https://t.co/L3UEmuIpDO

I don’t know about playoffs but they should have been way better than they were last year and probably aren’t that far off.  locking up OEL helps big time 
How so? I've been asking in here about advanced stats and haven't gotten consensus.  

They got really good at the end of last year. If that carries over, no reason to think they won't contend for the playoffs in some form or fashion.  San Jose just signed Evander but is getting older, LA doesn't look so good, and Anaheim ages also. At least that's a layman's thought.  

They had a pretty good record when Raanta, Stepan and Hjalmarsson were all actually in the lineup and their younger guys should also continue to improve.
I just meant advanced stats in general. What's the best place and the best stats? I don't know enough about them. Right now, I'm going off of eye test.  

What is the measure?  

Anyone have any idea where Matthew Struthers goes in the draft?  My wife went to HS with his mother.

Steal of the draft according to the hockey writers.

How so? I've been asking in here about advanced stats and haven't gotten consensus.  
they didn't win a game in regulation for the first two months or whatever it was which is a fluke no matter how bad you are.  that changes your point total significantly. 

young group that is only going to get better.  stable blue line.  good pipeline.  Strome should make the jump this year after a good development year.  need more depth up front but they are building that.  lots of cap room as well.

Andrew Hammond's wife chimes in (no, seriously)

@marlee_kat

oh man if you only knew how unsurprising this actually is. horrible just horrible. and the worst part of all of this is how @MelindaCurrey just wanted to keep this private because she’s THAT nice of a person even when a person can be this cruel to her. https://t.co/L3UEmuIpDO
I spent a lot of game nights catering the "wives room" Most of the ladies were very nice, but I can easily see something like this happening.

Lots of very young spoiled brats in the mix.

Saw posted yesterday that the NHL 2018-19 schedule comes out next week.

The NHL will announce the 2018-19 regular-season home openers for all 31 clubs on Wed., June 20 at 1 p.m. ET. 

The complete regular-season schedule will be revealed live on @NHLNetwork and streamed on atnhl.com/2LRunF4 on Thur., June 21 at 5 p.m. ET.

Two different players but interestingly enough, Galchenyuk and Domi both have a .61 career PPG. So there’s that. :shrug:  

Domi

Pre ASG . 50 games 3-18-21 .  -18 .   (0.42 pts/gm)
Post ASG 32 . 6-18-24   +11 .    (0.75 pts/gm)

Alex Galchenyuk

Pre ASG 49g .  12-16-28 -24
Post ASG . 33g  7-16-23  -7

Why is this such a huge win?

BTW, Arizona was 20-14-7 2nd half.

Domi

Pre ASG . 50 games 3-18-21 .  -18 .   (0.42 pts/gm)
Post ASG 32 . 6-18-24   +11 .    (0.75 pts/gm)

Alex Galchenyuk

Pre ASG 49g .  12-16-28 -24
Post ASG . 33g  7-16-23  -7

Why is this such a huge win?

BTW, Arizona was 20-14-7 2nd half.
Galchenyuk is a much better player.  Even these cherry picked numbers show Galchenyuk producing at a similar rate to Domi when Montreal was actively ####### him over. 

Montreal needs centremen and goals, so they trade a guy capable of providing both (I expect Galchenyuk immediately goes back to the middle in Arizona) for a winger who has scored 9 goals each of the last two seasons. 

It's pretty unbelievable the way Montreal mismanaged and now devalued/sold low on Galchenyuk. He's really good. 

The Canadiens complete a master class in asset mismanagement by trading Alex Galchenyuk  https://theathletic.com/395664/2018/06/16/the-canadiens-complete-a-master-class-in-asset-mismanagement-by-trading-alex-galchenyuk/

“In trading Galchenyuk to the Arizona Coyotes for Domi, a fine player, but one who is only a year younger and who has scored 36 goals in 222 career NHL games – or six more than Galchenyuk scored in 2015-16 alone – the Canadiens showed just how devalued their asset had become on the open market.”

win for Arizona but I don't see the huge gap here either.  Galchenyuk has the size and plays center (presumably) but Domi is younger and doesn't have the rumored off ice issues (if they are even meaningful, who knows).  Domi has also been a big underachiever since his rookie year but has tons of talent and should benefit from the change of scenery as well.  regardless, the Habs handling of Galchenyuk the whole way through has been weird.  I think this one probably works out for both teams.

Habs always trying to get smaller.

I think this one probably works out for both teams.
They probably created a situation where Galchenyuk wasn't going to work out either way and Domi is a good player, so I agree with this but also Domi isn't really what the Habs need and Galchenyuk could have been if they handled things better. 

They probably created a situation where Galchenyuk wasn't going to work out either way and Domi is a good player, so I agree with this but also Domi isn't really what the Habs need and Galchenyuk could have been if they handled things better. 
completely agree.  more of a mess from Bergevin and that organization.

everything I've read though (not just here) seems to be selling Domi short for a guy with his skill and only 3 seasons at 23 years old. 

Habs screwed it up with Galchenyuk but they at least appear to have gotten some value out of it.  not just a little run out of Loui Eriksson at the end of his career.

Users who are viewing this thread