What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Home Tree Trimming (1 Viewer)

jagbag

Footballguy
Has anyone ever tried trimming trees using those  25-30' extension pole saws ?

http://www.americantreeservicesupply.com

I've got some large trees that need trimming, Before paying somebody an arm and a leg to trim them,

I thought maybe I would try one of those first, if they are fairly easy to use. I would be cutting some branches up to 6".

I've got some large trees that need trimming, Before paying somebody an arm and a leg to trim them,

I thought maybe I would try one of those first, if they are fairly easy to use. I would be cutting some branches up to 6".
Dont. 

You would be better off renting a bucket and cutting 2 foot sections at a time that you roped and used a legit chainsaw. 

The problem you can often run into with those saws is basically the trimming equivalent of hanging chads. 

A ladder or a rental truck would be much better. I have an 8' pole saw and it's fairly easy but that thing would be ridiculous.

I have a pole trimmer that can extend to about 12', and at that length, it becomes fairly unwieldy. I cannot imagine 25-30 feet. And the hanging chad comment is legit, especially on larger branches. 

Personally, I'd pay someone. Tree trimming at that height / branch thickness can be dangerous work. 

Personally, I'd pay someone. Tree trimming at that height / branch thickness can be dangerous work. 
I do almost everything repair/maintenance related at my home.  Almost.  But some jobs are best done by someone else.  Let a tree monkey take care of this one.  6 inch thick branches ain't no joke.

F### it.  They are are tress.  Let them grow as nature dictates.  (Unless they are posing a hazard of some sort)

I do almost everything repair/maintenance related at my home.  Almost.  But some jobs are best done by someone else.  Let a tree monkey take care of this one.  6 inch thick branches ain't no joke.
waaaaaay heavier than you think they are, too. 

Agree with the others, pay someone to do it.

F### it.  They are are tress.  Let them grow as nature dictates.  (Unless they are posing a hazard of some sort)
Trees with too many limbs are a hazard unless you're living somewhere lucky enough to never get any serious storms.  Even barring that, too many leaves blocking the sunlight can kill off your grass.

I’ve got a pretty big live oak in my swale.  It’s got about a foot diameter trunk.  No way am I trimming the bigger stuff myself.  Unfortunately it’s getting too big and only a matter of time before it wreaks havoc on my water lines and sidewalk.  RIP Magnus.

Not to hijack, but...

What are my options with a neighbor's tree that has several large branches handing over the fence onto my property?

Not to hijack, but...

What are my options with a neighbor's tree that has several large branches handing over the fence onto my property?
Every state I've lived in allows me to maintain the stuff hanging over into my yard.  Verify the same is true in your state and let the hacking commence.  

I have 6 large oak trees on my lot, all of which are 40' or taller.  Every 12-18 months I pay a crew around 1k to trim out the dead branches.  Between those times I keep the little 'suckers' cleaned off the trunks and use my pole saw and lopper to do little trimming a few times a year.  (Leaving dead branches for a long period of time can lead to disease which can eventually kill a tree.)

Fully mature trees are worth 10k+, I don't mind paying to have them maintained.  

problem with all the tree trimming companies I've worked with is that they have some strange fetish for taking down trees. I've hired them to do 1 or 2 and when the get there they are always like "I'll give you a deal if you take down that one...and that one...and those 2...and..." 

I get it, they are already there and want to maximize the profit opportunity, but geeez man....why do you hate mother nature??!!

Let me start by saying I am 100% a "Tree Guy" and I agree that you should pay to have them maintained.  I don't do trimming on my bigger trees - The part of the value that gets me is the time it takes to clean up the debris.  Cutting is only like 20% of the work.  Then you have to dispose of the thing.  That's a lot of work.  

To the value part - I've planted about 8 new trees - nice specimen trees, once since we moved onto our 2.5 acre lot - but I don't buy the "values" people put on mature trees.  Insurance won't pay you $10K for a mature tree that blows down in a storm, and you won't see your resale appreciate by that amount.  It might be "worth," that, but it can never be considered a liquid value.  

Insurance won't pay you $10K for a mature tree that blows down in a storm, and you won't see your resale appreciate by that amount.  It might be "worth," that, but it can never be considered a liquid value.  
Standard homeowners insurance limits tree value to $500 so thats probably not the best way to evaluate value.  Ultimately its the value, or loss of value to the overall property due to losing the tree.  Large mature trees that are to be planted are very expensive, but I'd agree an individual tree except in the most remarkable of circumstances would not add 10k in value to the home.

I have 6 large oak trees on my lot, all of which are 40' or taller.  Every 12-18 months I pay a crew around 1k to trim out the dead branches.  Between those times I keep the little 'suckers' cleaned off the trunks and use my pole saw and lopper to do little trimming a few times a year.  (Leaving dead branches for a long period of time can lead to disease which can eventually kill a tree.)

If you have to pay a grand every couple years for trimming, either they aren't doing a very good job when they are there, or you have some serious OCD.

problem with all the tree trimming companies I've worked with is that they have some strange fetish for taking down trees. I've hired them to do 1 or 2 and when the get there they are always like "I'll give you a deal if you take down that one...and that one...and those 2...and..." 

I get it, they are already there and want to maximize the profit opportunity, but geeez man....why do you hate mother nature??!!
They take those trees with them? .... Lumber is big $$$ business. Your trees are my new shed etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
C'mon!!  It's easy to do yourself... 

You can even cut down a branch with a huge wasp nest on it at 2am after drinking ...  Plan was perfect.. huge bonfire, :banned: , shorts, sandals, chainsaw with 24" bar and a ladder.. climb ladder, cut branch off, guy on the ground drags it over the fire and BOOM!! no more wasp nest!!  

Actually turned out perfect, except for the sissy filming it.  He took off running when the branch hit the ground...

How to get rid of a huge wasp nest

A huge thanks to those suggesting to have someone do it.

My sisters friend told me of a guy that had done hers. He was dirt cheap.( $850 ) trimmed 6 big trees.

He (crew of 3) did a really good job. I could nit pick about a few things, but at that price I wasnt about too.

I had one quote of $2300.00.

Users who are viewing this thread